Author Topic: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs  (Read 34583 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs
« Reply #315 on: August 31, 2023, 01:42:49 PM »
but I also did express some disappointment at some of the things that were brought back again (CiaW, parts of SDoIT) as opposed to other things that haven't been played in the MM era. So he asked what I would like to have and my first response was "anything that hasn’t been played with Mike Mangini yet"

You'd think this would be the obvious request, and thus you'd think it would also be the obvious approach to picking older songs for a setlist. And it's not even about "I wanna hear what Mangini will do with these songs", it's just the very basic "this is stuff you haven't played in at least 13 years". Most of which used to be played every now and then until 2009, so we're not talking about songs that nobody ever liked in the first place. I mean, songs like The Glass Prison, Blind Faith, Hollow Years, Lines in the Sand, Erotomania... come on!

I get your overall point, but not your examples.
-The Glass Prison:  Yes, it's a favorite, and I know a ton of us want it back.  But my understanding is that it is one of the very few songs that JP feels like he has trouble doing it justice, and the rest of the band just finds exhausting to play night after night.  I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if this one didn't come back, absent maybe a special reason to bring it out (e.g., celebrating Six Degrees or the 12SS).
-Blind Faith:  Just no.
-Hollow Years:  Double no.
-Lines in the Sand:  Okay, good choice.
-Erotomania:  ???  I mean, it's not bad.  But I don't think anyone is clamoring for this one.  Considering that they will probably continue to limit the playing of pure instrumentals during their sets, and that this one is sort of middle of the pack, I'm not sure I see it making the cut anytime soon.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #316 on: August 31, 2023, 03:32:06 PM »
-Erotomania:  ???  I mean, it's not bad.  But I don't think anyone is clamoring for this one.  Considering that they will probably continue to limit the playing of pure instrumentals during their sets, and that this one is sort of middle of the pack, I'm not sure I see it making the cut anytime soon.

I hope Stream of Consciousness makes it back to the setlist at some point. Much better than Erotomania.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #317 on: August 31, 2023, 03:46:45 PM »
Agreed.  I kind of hoped that they would have acknowledged the 20th of TOT this year on tour.  Not a full-blown anniversary where they play the whole album, like they have done with SFAM and I&W.  But an acknowledgement by playing 2-3 songs.  I'm guessing the band just didn't pick up on this being the 20th this year.  But hopefully, those make a comeback, and I would love to see them back to back.  For that album as a whole, As I Am and Endless Sacrifice have recirculated a few times, so I don't have a strong desire to see them again (although ES was an unexpected highlight for me this tour).  HTF and Vacant haven't been played much at all, and I don't know whether the band has any desire to play them. TDS will likely surface if/when the band does the 12SS, as hinted at.  So SOC/ITNOG would be a great combo, IMO.

For me personally, I would love a set that includes TGP, SOC, ITNOG, Octavarium, Forsaken, and Outcry.  If I thought James could really bring the power and range, I would add Metropolis and Home to that, but I just don't think that doing those songs proper justice is in his wheelhouse.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #318 on: August 31, 2023, 03:47:38 PM »
Most of TOT and OVM have been neglected for the last decade. Not my favorite albums, but there's some very nice stuff there that has been ignored for long time.

I assume that JP doesn’t think very highly of these albums anymore. He seems to like Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds though.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #319 on: August 31, 2023, 03:52:06 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily assume that.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #320 on: August 31, 2023, 04:04:41 PM »
Ok….doesn’t like them enough that he’s always wanting to put those songs in the set. Or maybe for some reason he feels they aren’t popular enough. If that’s not it, then why are those songs being ignored?
Can't we find the minds

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #321 on: August 31, 2023, 05:50:32 PM »
What's a fact is that they've played a lot more SC/BC&SL than TOT/OVM since MM joined.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #322 on: August 31, 2023, 07:10:54 PM »
What's a fact is that they've played a lot more SC/BC&SL than TOT/OVM since MM joined.

Exactly. Not that there’s anything wrong with that!
Can't we find the minds

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #323 on: August 31, 2023, 09:02:58 PM »
-The Glass Prison:  Yes, it's a favorite, and I know a ton of us want it back.  But my understanding is that it is one of the very few songs that JP feels like he has trouble doing it justice, and the rest of the band just finds exhausting to play night after night.  I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if this one didn't come back, absent maybe a special reason to bring it out (e.g., celebrating Six Degrees or the 12SS).
The bold part is particularly true and also holds for Blind Faith.

I'm clamoring for it. And I would think both it and SoC should/will be brought back into the set (although not necessarily at the same time) to help give JL a breather. I'm actually surprised they didn't bring Erotomania back for the last tour instead of 6:00 since it would have given JL the breather plus it's an Awake track.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #324 on: August 31, 2023, 09:07:43 PM »
it's great to see folks getting into dream theater's music through these reaction videos! i've enjoyed similar videos in the past. however, personally, i don't quite see the point of having a classical composer react to their music. not to downplay the person making the videos or the op or classical composers, at all! but with these types of reaction videos, it's often the case that the person reacting is coming from a vastly different genre, often even one that one would expect might usually see itself as "superior" to the other (like metal fans reacting to rap music... not that there's any question of superiority there).

anyway, with that said, i don't think a classical composer would ever deny the brilliance of progressive metal - the complexity and technicality of dream theater's musicians like petrucci and rudess are on a whole different level to the point i think sometimes even the greats like beethoven might find it challenging to keep up with their compositions :lol

i don't know, i just feel like these kinds of videos are seeking validation for our tastes in a way, and why would we need validation from a classical composer when classical and progressive music are in my view companion genres - progressive music even being an evolution of classical in a way. it's in their names, classical music representing the foundations of the past while progressive music trailblazes the future. to each their own, if anyone finds fulfillment from these videos i'm happy for them, i just feel there's an unspoken implication here that it's cool to get validation from a classical composer when as dream theater fans we already stand atop the peak of musical taste (LOL jk - well, mostly) :yarr
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #325 on: September 01, 2023, 12:52:09 PM »

Blind Faith is one of my all time favorites....probably top 5 and TGP is up there as well. I can 'get' why Blind Faith would be difficult to pull off these days because there's no way JLB can sing it and do it any type of justice....but...it's shocking to hear that JP wants to shy away from them because he thinks 'he' can't do them justice? Eric Gillette pretty much nailed TGP on the Shattered Fortress tour....maybe not perfectly note for note but it was downright impressive enough to be a perfect counterfeit. So that's why it's a bit surprising to hear that sentiment from JP....if it is indeed true.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #326 on: September 01, 2023, 01:08:04 PM »
Blind Faith is one of my all time favorites....probably top 5 and TGP is up there as well. I can 'get' why Blind Faith would be difficult to pull off these days because there's no way JLB can sing it and do it any type of justice....but...it's shocking to hear that JP wants to shy away from them because he thinks 'he' can't do them justice? Eric Gillette pretty much nailed TGP on the Shattered Fortress tour....maybe not perfectly note for note but it was downright impressive enough to be a perfect counterfeit. So that's why it's a bit surprising to hear that sentiment from JP....if it is indeed true.
Well put it this way - back in 2002 JP struggled with the keyboard/guitar run from 7:55-8:23 of the studio version. IIRC, you can hear on boots of shows early during World Tourbulence where JP sometimes ended up playing rhythm guitar instead of trying to keep up with JR, which I imagine is at least part of the reason why the song made only a handful of appearances on World Tourbulence after the first European leg of the tour. It was brought back for the Chaos in Motion tour, but 15/16 years later, I'd imagine it would even be more difficult for JP to pull off than before being that he's older now. Maybe not if he rehearses it enough and with them having a static setlist, he'd get plenty of practice playing it. But then again, he's very focused on perfect performances, which is why I can imagine him shying away from it since it would be very difficult to pull off near perfectly every night.

edit: Just for the record, I've never heard JP say that he wouldn't play BF (or TGP for that matter), and in fact I've never heard him comment about the difficulties of that section in BF (unlike TGP where he has admitted as much). But what I say is based on observation and what I've heard others say (and by that, I'm not saying band members).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 01:45:55 PM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #327 on: September 01, 2023, 01:46:03 PM »

Something that Eric had over JP for those Shattered Fortress shows was the benefit of other two great guitar players behind him. Sure, Eric still played most of the stuff as well, but from some of the videos I watched back then, he did take those "here comes the challenging part" breathers before heading into those sections. JP doesn't have that luxury while switching between rhythm and lead parts.

Having said that, I'd love to see them bring back TGP and BF someday :metal

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #328 on: September 01, 2023, 01:50:06 PM »
I feel like I remember seeing JP say in an interview that the BF unison run is very tricky for him because it's one of the few unisons that was composed on keyboard first and as a result has some interval jumps that are a bit awkward on a guitar neck.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #329 on: September 03, 2023, 01:02:10 PM »
Also Blind Faith is played on a Baritone tuned to A standard, but the unison was played on a regular guitar tuned to E standard. So when he plays it live, he has to transpose it down an octave.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #330 on: September 05, 2023, 06:36:20 AM »
Just re-watched a bunch of these (all the epics) and I gotta say it does add to or rekindle my appreciation of these songs because Doug is so good at breaking down the rhythmic intricacies and all the melodic/harmonic cleverness.  :tup

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #331 on: September 05, 2023, 06:56:36 AM »
it's great to see folks getting into dream theater's music through these reaction videos! i've enjoyed similar videos in the past. however, personally, i don't quite see the point of having a classical composer react to their music. not to downplay the person making the videos or the op or classical composers, at all! but with these types of reaction videos, it's often the case that the person reacting is coming from a vastly different genre, often even one that one would expect might usually see itself as "superior" to the other (like metal fans reacting to rap music... not that there's any question of superiority there).

anyway, with that said, i don't think a classical composer would ever deny the brilliance of progressive metal - the complexity and technicality of dream theater's musicians like petrucci and rudess are on a whole different level to the point i think sometimes even the greats like beethoven might find it challenging to keep up with their compositions :lol

i don't know, i just feel like these kinds of videos are seeking validation for our tastes in a way, and why would we need validation from a classical composer when classical and progressive music are in my view companion genres - progressive music even being an evolution of classical in a way. it's in their names, classical music representing the foundations of the past while progressive music trailblazes the future. to each their own, if anyone finds fulfillment from these videos i'm happy for them, i just feel there's an unspoken implication here that it's cool to get validation from a classical composer when as dream theater fans we already stand atop the peak of musical taste (LOL jk - well, mostly) :yarr

I like Big Doug Helvering as much as the next prog metal fan but WHAT makes his background so special that he can understand DT...?
Can he do the sweep from The Glass Prison?
Could he drum along to dance of eternity?
Can he hit a soaring F#?

I've learned about alot of great music from Dougs Dallies such as King Gizzard and Nightwish but I really do NOT get this whole idea of having to go to youtube to see a professional react to something and tell me it's good...

glad that the channel promotes DT and other good music but until he does a splitscreen cover of metropolis playing all the instruments and singing the vocal I'd be more interested in seeing what the guys from DT (yes including MP, Kevin More, and Dereck) have to say about HIS classical music.
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #332 on: September 05, 2023, 08:02:09 AM »
but I really do NOT get this whole idea of having to go to youtube to see a professional react to something and tell me it's good...

Well, that's not the "idea" of those videos, so I really do not get your rant.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #333 on: September 05, 2023, 09:14:48 AM »

I like Big Doug Helvering as much as the next prog metal fan but WHAT makes his background so special that he can understand DT...?
Can he hit a soaring F#?

I've learned about alot of great music from Dougs Dallies such as King Gizzard and Nightwish but I really do NOT get this whole idea of having to go to youtube to see a professional react to something and tell me it's good...

glad that the channel promotes DT and other good music but until he does a splitscreen cover of metropolis playing all the instruments and singing the vocal I'd be more interested in seeing what the guys from DT (yes including MP, Kevin More, and Dereck) have to say about HIS classical music.
What makes you think they are qualified to give an informed opinion about that, moreso than his about their work?

I mean, maybe JR, because he has dabbled in that kind of composition, but not the rest of them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #334 on: September 05, 2023, 09:21:05 AM »
Can he hit a soaring F#?

With respect to the three yes/no questions:  no, no and maybe.  If you were to check his publicly available resume, you could have answered these questions for yourself.  As for the first question, one does not need a "special" background to understand DT, and he's no more or less qualified than anyone here.  He is, however, uniquely qualified to analyze music, and he brings a different perspective than a random metal fan.

I really do NOT get this whole idea of having to go to youtube to see a professional react to something and tell me it's good...

That's not even remotely the point.

until he does a splitscreen cover of metropolis playing all the instruments and singing the vocal I'd be more interested in seeing what the guys from DT (yes including MP, Kevin More, and Dereck) have to say about HIS classical music.

That's not going to happen, and ok.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #335 on: September 05, 2023, 09:22:34 AM »
but I really do NOT get this whole idea of having to go to youtube to see a professional react to something and tell me it's good...

Well, that's not the "idea" of those videos, so I really do not get your rant.

Uhhh yeah, that really isn't the point of his channel. Him, like so many music reactors on YouTube, are there to offer their insight into music they've never heard of. If you're already a fan, then the point for you is to see how someone who hasn't experienced this music before would react to it, especially if they're of a background that is usually opposite of what the music they're listening to. It's like when you share music you like to a friend for the first time, there's a bit of excitement in watching them hear it and seeing their reaction. Granted, YouTubers aren't friends, but depending on their personality or background, the same kind of excitement could be had.

For Doug, I think a lot of his fans enjoy his off-the-cuff analysis and interpretations of the music and lyrics, especially for someone who has been a composer and teacher of music for so long.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #336 on: September 05, 2023, 09:29:49 AM »
My sincere apologies for my previous criticism of Classical Composer Reacts YouTube Channel by Doug Helvering.
Upon reflection, I realize the value in their perspective and the passion they bring to classical music.  :hefdaddy
Reaction Channels may not be my cup of tea, but different people have different tastes. 
I respect their work and will approach it with an open mind in the future.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #337 on: September 07, 2023, 02:21:12 AM »
Reaction Channels may not be my cup of tea, but different people have different tastes. 

It isn't my cup of tea either and would normally never spend precious time on reaction video's. But to me the Daily Doug is different. He approaches Dream Theater from a classical-composed (don't know if that's even a word) state of mind and I'll find that very pleasant. Especially with The Count of Tuscany and Octavarium he helped me understand a deeper insight in riffs, motives and themes. Besides, his enthousiasm is overwhelming and I really like that.

The only one thing left I would absolutely love, is Doug doing a full Astonishing-reaction, since that novell is so 'classical-involved'.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #338 on: September 07, 2023, 10:53:39 AM »

It isn't my cup of tea either and would normally never spend precious time on reaction video's. But to me the Daily Doug is different. He approaches Dream Theater from a classical-composed (don't know if that's even a word) state of mind and I'll find that very pleasant. Especially with The Count of Tuscany and Octavarium he helped me understand a deeper insight in riffs, motives and themes. Besides, his enthousiasm is overwhelming and I really like that.

The only one thing left I would absolutely love, is Doug doing a full Astonishing-reaction, since that novell is so 'classical-involved'.

i would pay to see big doug give an album-length reaction to the astonishing in a movie theater
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #339 on: September 08, 2023, 07:40:46 AM »
It's on his list of potentials for a full album reaction, but those are exclusive to his patreon.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #340 on: September 19, 2023, 11:30:03 AM »
I stopped watching Doug after two things. One was on his "Lateralus" review in which he pretended to just clue in to the Fibonacci sequence in the song, but later in the comments admitted he'd done pre-research and he was just being performative. I had previously bought into the idea that these were blind listens, so that tarnished the idea of what I was watching.

I also didn't care for the fact that he was smoking weed on video along with one of his reviews, but that's just a personal pet peeve because I hate smoking period and don't like to see it.

EDIT: I don't know why some of my sentences went into microscopic text mode, so fixing that now lol.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 12:20:00 PM by energythief »

« Reply #341 on: September 19, 2023, 11:31:38 AM »
I also didn't care for the fact that he was smoking weed on video along with one of his reviews, but that's just a personal pet peeve because I hate smoking period and don't like to see it.

i never saw him do this but as someone who enjoys the herb i would love to see it, can you link some?

I had previously bought into the idea that these were blind listens, so that tarnished the idea of what I was watching.

everyone's gotta eat, friend. can't blame doug for just doing what he needs to to survive. i saw he used to be a music teacher pre pandemic but then when covid happened all the schools closed. he had to do something
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #342 on: September 19, 2023, 12:24:26 PM »

i never saw him do this but as someone who enjoys the herb i would love to see it, can you link some?

Here's the weed one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZWfVkGvgZ8&t=1193s

I had previously bought into the idea that these were blind listens, so that tarnished the idea of what I was watching.
everyone's gotta eat, friend. can't blame doug for just doing what he needs to to survive. i saw he used to be a music teacher pre pandemic but then when covid happened all the schools closed. he had to do something

I don't begrudge him his channel at all. I just don't like the dishonesty. If he was more upfront his videos would be even more enjoyable. Just my opinion.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #343 on: September 19, 2023, 12:52:32 PM »
I stopped watching Doug after two things. One was on his "Lateralus" review in which he pretended to just clue in to the Fibonacci sequence in the song, but later in the comments admitted he'd done pre-research and he was just being performative. I had previously bought into the idea that these were blind listens, so that tarnished the idea of what I was watching.

I think he's always been very up front about doing advance research/reading.  It's honestly obvious in all of the videos I've seen (except for maybe a couple of the earliest ones).  I haven't see the specific one you mentioned, though.

Here's the weed one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZWfVkGvgZ8&t=1193s

He's done it in several of his videos.  The ones I saw were one or two of the sides of Yes's Tales from Topographic Oceans.  It's a turn-off for me as well.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Skeever

« Reply #344 on: September 20, 2023, 10:49:07 AM »

EDIT: I don't know why some of my sentences went into microscopic text mode, so fixing that now lol.

I have always suspected that Doug is well acquainted with all the stuff he claims to be reacting to. So I'm not surprised at all to hear this. It does really take away some of the novelty of the channel.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #345 on: September 20, 2023, 11:25:02 AM »

I have always suspected that Doug is well acquainted with all the stuff he claims to be reacting to. So I'm not surprised at all to hear this. It does really take away some of the novelty of the channel.

He's almost always said he's read-up on songs or albums before reacting to them. On one hand, it helps with the reaction in that one might be able to pick things out that a less-informed listener might on their first go. They would also be able to understand some things about the writers or musicians beforehand and not guess, i.e. who played what, who wrote what, etc. Some music reactors won't look up ANYTHING beyond the band name and song title, and are often guessing over the song what is going on and for some of them, that gets pretty annoying IMO.

I think having a semi-informed mindset before listening to something for the first time is OK, and IMO doesn't take away from the magic of a first reaction. He might have known there was a Fibonacci sequence reference in "Lateralus" but that doesn't mean he knew exactly when or what time-stamp. If you had told me that beforehand and I heard the song for the first time, I still would've been surprised by it, and perhaps even impressed because unless you're looking for something that clever, it might not jump out at you at first listen.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #346 on: September 20, 2023, 07:46:35 PM »

He's almost always said he's read-up on songs or albums before reacting to them. On one hand, it helps with the reaction in that one might be able to pick things out that a less-informed listener might on their first go. They would also be able to understand some things about the writers or musicians beforehand and not guess, i.e. who played what, who wrote what, etc. Some music reactors won't look up ANYTHING beyond the band name and song title, and are often guessing over the song what is going on and for some of them, that gets pretty annoying IMO.

I think having a semi-informed mindset before listening to something for the first time is OK, and IMO doesn't take away from the magic of a first reaction. He might have known there was a Fibonacci sequence reference in "Lateralus" but that doesn't mean he knew exactly when or what time-stamp. If you had told me that beforehand and I heard the song for the first time, I still would've been surprised by it, and perhaps even impressed because unless you're looking for something that clever, it might not jump out at you at first listen.

-Marc.

This. I'm a member of Doug's patreon and I've seen him react to stuff live/off the cuff in Patreon sessions and he's just as in tune with the music in terms of chords/keys/time signatures, but not lyrics or the other things that would come with the normal pre-video research he does for a song going up on YT.
Photobucket sucks.

« Reply #347 on: September 21, 2023, 08:31:33 AM »

-Marc.

This. I'm a member of Doug's patreon and I've seen him react to stuff live/off the cuff in Patreon sessions and he's just as in tune with the music in terms of chords/keys/time signatures, but not lyrics or the other things that would come with the normal pre-video research he does for a song going up on YT.

thank you for standing up for comrade doug's honor  :yarr
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #348 on: September 21, 2023, 10:34:27 AM »
I'll make the analogy of going to the movies with a friend. Would you rather go with a friend who knows a bit about the film going in, like who the stars are, maybe the director or producers, the studio, the composer, and is mostly silent throughout the viewing? Or a friend who goes in completely blind and has to ask questions through the whole thing, especially if it's a film you know and are showing them for the first time?

-Marc.

« Reply #349 on: September 21, 2023, 12:06:39 PM »
I'll make the analogy of going to the movies with a friend. Would you rather go with a friend who knows a bit about the film going in, like who the stars are, maybe the director or producers, the studio, the composer, and is mostly silent throughout the viewing? Or a friend who goes in completely blind and has to ask questions through the whole thing, especially if it's a film you know and are showing them for the first time?

-Marc.

this is a great way to put it. a reaction video is only going to be stronger if there is some context for which the reaction takes place. blind reaction videos can be amusing i guess but the real staying power is in contextualized discussion
Welcome to the Forums!