Author Topic: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs  (Read 34116 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Classical Composer Reacts to Various DT Songs
« Reply #280 on: May 16, 2023, 10:13:49 AM »
I found part 2 similarly underwhelming. He did react so the video fulfilled its purpose but I think the next thing to do to make these these things more interesting is for Doug to talk about what's going on in the song or in a section. It doesn't have to be a deep dive, but just reading some of the lyrics and making drum movements gets boring. That's why part 1 and 2 are basically the same.

He obviously has the knowledge to talk about these songs in more depth so would love to see him react maybe to the different musical ideas employed in the songs. That would take a lot more work on his end so I get why it's probably not happening but just a thought.

All of this x1000.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2023, 11:36:30 AM »
Well, it's not like he should talk too much over the song.  He can always stop the song if he needs to make a specific point, but he probably doesn't want to do that a whole lot either.  It detracts from the flow of the song.  It is what it is.  I'm sure a lot of viewers are listening to these songs for the first time.  I'm sure they're not looking for a lot of in depth analysis like those of us who are more familiar with the material.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #282 on: May 16, 2023, 07:20:10 PM »
Well, it's not like he should talk too much over the song.  He can always stop the song if he needs to make a specific point, but he probably doesn't want to do that a whole lot either.  It detracts from the flow of the song.  It is what it is.  I'm sure a lot of viewers are listening to these songs for the first time.  I'm sure they're not looking for a lot of in depth analysis like those of us who are more familiar with the material.

Interesting. I would have thought the opposite. If you'd never heard the song why would your first encounter be watching someone else react to it?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #283 on: May 17, 2023, 08:22:37 AM »

Interesting. I would have thought the opposite. If you'd never heard the song why would your first encounter be watching someone else react to it?

Why not?  Are you here just to start an argument?  You don't think he has first time listeners tuning in to his channel?  You don't think he turns people on to certain types of music with his reaction videos?  If you're trying to start a debate with me, you're wasting your time.  Move on.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pg1067

« Reply #284 on: May 17, 2023, 09:08:14 AM »

Agree, and I doubt many people are hearing these songs for the first time via Doug's channel.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #285 on: May 17, 2023, 10:24:50 AM »

Agree, and I doubt many people are hearing these songs for the first time via Doug's channel.
I would think many people are.

Many people get turned on to a particular reactor because they found or heard about a video where they are reacting to their favorite band.  Then if they like the reactor, they will watch some other videos they put out reacting to other acts.  From there, it is only a hop, skip, and a jump to watching your favorite reactor react to a song you've never heard before.  It happens a lot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #286 on: May 17, 2023, 12:01:18 PM »
I started this thread but now I'm over it.

A guy with his musical pedigree talking about a musically-complex band should be doing more analysis of the music.  Some lyrics, sure, but they're only about 33% of the package.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #287 on: May 18, 2023, 10:02:35 AM »

IT'S THE DAILY DOUG.. 🎶🎵          :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Evai

« Reply #288 on: May 18, 2023, 10:58:35 AM »
I enjoy the videos, maybe a slight annoyance at how he'll do a spoken word version of the lyrics as those same lyrics are actually being sung  :lol
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #289 on: May 18, 2023, 01:18:03 PM »
I notice that, somewhere along the way, he has stopped complaining about double bass drum parts.

He will be when it's Mangini playing... Doug 's a huge Portnoy fan, that's crystal clear after all these reaction videos.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #290 on: May 19, 2023, 05:17:33 AM »
I notice that, somewhere along the way, he has stopped complaining about double bass drum parts.

He will be when it's Mangini playing... Doug 's a huge Portnoy fan, that's crystal clear after all these reaction videos.

Watching his other recent metal reactions, I think he’s finally gotten used to the constant double bass. And he’s like most Dream Theater fans: highly complimentary of Mangini but prefers Portnoy.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pg1067

« Reply #291 on: May 19, 2023, 09:55:47 AM »
I started this thread but now I'm over it.

A guy with his musical pedigree talking about a musically-complex band should be doing more analysis of the music.  Some lyrics, sure, but they're only about 33% of the package.

This is it.  "Classical composer reacts" carries some implication of musical analysis.  Otherwise, it's noting more than "Random white guy mouths some lyrics and plays air drums while listening to songs."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #292 on: May 19, 2023, 09:57:40 AM »
The air drums is probably what bothers me most lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #293 on: May 19, 2023, 04:58:44 PM »
As far as the amount of lyrical discussion/analysis, he's a classical composer, but predominantly of choral music, so lyrics generally are fairly important to him.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #294 on: May 24, 2023, 06:56:33 PM »
I watched him react to another song by another band recently (it was Man in the Box by Alice In Chains to be specific), and he talked about chord progressions as well as lyrics. I think for the more musically dense stuff like Dream Theater and Haken, it’s a lot to digest in real time so he focuses on lyrics and highlights the musical things that really grab him. The thing I wish he would do more is rhythmic analysis, as the rhythmic complexity is a big part of these prog metal bands’ sound, and I think it would be interesting to hear his take as classical music has a looser rhythm structure so he would be coming at the topic from a different perspective.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 06:16:30 AM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Evai

« Reply #295 on: May 25, 2023, 11:48:18 AM »
Regarding the double bass, it's entirely down to the headphones he was using before. The cheap ones he was using hyped up the bass way too much and made double bass sound terrible. Ever since he upgraded to proper headphones, there's been no complaints
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #296 on: June 17, 2023, 12:45:57 PM »
As you all probably 've seen by now, he reacted to The Stream of Consiousness, Budokan. "Spicey as shit," as Doug mentioned. I truly like this reaction video... but it could also be because of my new Marshall headphone.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #297 on: July 30, 2023, 10:22:54 PM »
Doug did Octavarium again, but now the live version on Score. Once again a very nice reactionvideo, worth watching.

And man, what nailed LaBrie the lyrics here, perfect performance.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 10:30:06 PM by Wim Kruithof »

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #298 on: July 31, 2023, 06:20:07 AM »
Doug did Octavarium again, but now the live version on Score. Once again a very nice reactionvideo, worth watching.

Is it just me or did Doug actually spend a reasonable amount of time this time around actually talking about the music itself, rather than just air drumming and reading lyrics?

I felt like he did a much more analytical job on this one.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #299 on: July 31, 2023, 06:26:47 AM »

Is it just me or did Doug actually spend a reasonable amount of time this time around actually talking about the music itself, rather than just air drumming and reading lyrics?

I felt like he did a much more analytical job on this one.

Maybe a bit easier to do when you can watch the players play their instruments rather than looking at the album art. If he's got a music video to watch, I feel like he's not looking at lyrics as much, so he'll probably analyze the music more.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #300 on: July 31, 2023, 06:46:04 AM »
True.

He also analyzed a live performance of Dance of Eternity (Fourth Wall) and have to say, didn't spoke about the lyrics that much there either...

Online The Letter M

« Reply #301 on: July 31, 2023, 07:13:41 AM »
True.

He also analyzed a live performance of Dance of Eternity (Fourth Wall) and have to say, didn't spoke about the lyrics that much there either...

It's amazing how James nails TDOE everytime, though!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #302 on: July 31, 2023, 07:45:10 AM »
It's amazing how James nails TDOE everytime, though!

-Marc.

It really is, stunning...

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #303 on: August 02, 2023, 03:35:12 PM »

Watching this video, and in turn rewatching this performance, how the hell have Dream Theater not brought this song back into a live setting? The crowd was already into it back then, and now this song is considered one of their absolute best.

-MirrorMask

Offline mariner

« Reply #304 on: August 18, 2023, 10:36:41 AM »
Saving it (Octavarium) for 2025 live?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #305 on: August 18, 2023, 10:55:26 AM »

Watching this video, and in turn rewatching this performance, how the hell have Dream Theater not brought this song back into a live setting? The crowd was already into it back then, and now this song is considered one of their absolute best.

No promises as to whether it will show up in the future, but I mentioned it to JP after the DreamSonic show a few weeks ago, and he seemed really receptive to the idea of bringing it out live again at some point.  There have been plenty of times I have mentioned songs and gotten a colder response, but he seemed pretty enthusiastic about Octavarium.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #306 on: August 18, 2023, 10:58:35 AM »

No promises as to whether it will show up in the future, but I mentioned it to JP after the DreamSonic show a few weeks ago, and he seemed really receptive to the idea of bringing it out live again at some point.  There have been plenty of times I have mentioned songs and gotten a colder response, but he seemed pretty enthusiastic about Octavarium.

:tup :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #307 on: August 18, 2023, 11:19:24 AM »
I would be over the moon... complete.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #308 on: August 21, 2023, 03:24:49 PM »
we love the daily doug!!!  :hat :hat :hat
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #309 on: August 21, 2023, 06:38:50 PM »

a

Not to derail this too much but I just wanted to ask you a question. When talking to JP do you get the sense that he has a pretty good grasp on what the average fan likes? Like what the fan favorites are?  It seems like Octavarium would have been brought back out by now without you or anyone else bringing it up to him.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #310 on: August 25, 2023, 01:00:36 PM »

I could legitimately die happy if I heard this live.

-MirrorMask

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #311 on: August 25, 2023, 06:02:23 PM »

a

Not to derail this too much but I just wanted to ask you a question. When talking to JP do you get the sense that he has a pretty good grasp on what the average fan likes? Like what the fan favorites are?  It seems like Octavarium would have been brought back out by now without you or anyone else bringing it up to him.
I don't want to answer for Bosk as his answer may be different, but from my experiences, I think he has a pretty decent grasp of things, but the difference between him and MP is that he worries more about the general audience response to a setlist than MP, which is why you would see rare stuff and covers in the set with MP, but even when some rarities were included in the setlist after MP left (specifically TLF and DLPM on the 2017 tour), they were quickly dropped.

When I e-mailed him about the setlist changes between the 2022 and 2023 setlists, I congratulated him on how much the set was changed up, but I also did express some disappointment at some of the things that were brought back again (CiaW, parts of SDoIT) as opposed to other things that haven't been played in the MM era. So he asked what I would like to have and my first response was "anything that hasn’t been played with Mike Mangini yet" but then I gave a list of specific songs, including 8v, and he responded that some of those songs will definitely be played on the next DT world tour. So while there's no guarantees that 8v will be included on the next tour cycle, it's a distinct possibility (especially given how they resurrected TCoT for the 2022-23 tour) and several others that haven't been played with MM yet.  :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #312 on: August 30, 2023, 01:37:47 PM »
have y'all seen the kglw daily doug? a classic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U5qfYaKOyU

warning: he hits a pipe!  :hat
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #313 on: August 31, 2023, 07:45:03 AM »
but I also did express some disappointment at some of the things that were brought back again (CiaW, parts of SDoIT) as opposed to other things that haven't been played in the MM era. So he asked what I would like to have and my first response was "anything that hasn’t been played with Mike Mangini yet"

You'd think this would be the obvious request, and thus you'd think it would also be the obvious approach to picking older songs for a setlist. And it's not even about "I wanna hear what Mangini will do with these songs", it's just the very basic "this is stuff you haven't played in at least 13 years". Most of which used to be played every now and then until 2009, so we're not talking about songs that nobody ever liked in the first place. I mean, songs like The Glass Prison, Blind Faith, Hollow Years, Lines in the Sand, Erotomania... come on!
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #314 on: August 31, 2023, 09:12:13 AM »
Most of TOT and OVM have been neglected for the last decade. Not my favorite albums, but there's some very nice stuff there that has been ignored for long time.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."