Poll

What style of tour would you prefer DT to support the new album with?

"Evening With" format; no support, 2 sets + encore
"Progressive Nation" revival; 4 acts coming from all realms of PROG
"Dreamsonic" sequel; 3-4 acts, focusing on DJENT
Standard tour, 1 opener, Longer DT set (but not 2)
Something else (post away!)

Voting closes: April 28, 2024, 11:22:05 AM

Author Topic: DT Tour Wish Thread  (Read 2975 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: DT Tour Wish Thread
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2024, 07:43:44 AM »
was relistening to the BCSL bonus disc today and still think it'd be fun as hell to get some covers on the first tour back. i know that might not be a popular opinion but it would make my day
I agree with you.  That's not a popular opinion.

yeah, i think my penchant for DT covers comes from the Surrounded -> Sugar Mice thing they did on the Chaos in Motion tour. I adore that performance so much, and it'd be great if we could get something like that again

That’s a brutal example and damn near ruined Surrounded.
That was kind of my opinion on it as well, but of course I'm not a fan of Marillion.

But assuming we were talking about ANY great cover they've done - I mean, I don't care, I would rather hear DT perform DT than perform covers.  Period.  That's just me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2024, 07:48:59 AM »
It was also "Mother" from Floyd; the solos for "Mother" and "Sugar Mice" are very very similar.   I think the solo was technically "Mother" and then James sang the lyrics for "Sugar Mice", if I remember correctly (and I do, since I went back and listened to it again!).

One of my favorite Dream Theater moments of all time.  I could listen to that on repeat for hours.   

I've been pretty adamanent that all I ask from the band is that they do what THEY want and what feels best FOR THEM, but that, my friends, is probably the ONE THING that I would ask OF them moving forward.  More of those interpolations and explorations in the live setting. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2024, 08:18:21 AM »
was relistening to the BCSL bonus disc today and still think it'd be fun as hell to get some covers on the first tour back. i know that might not be a popular opinion but it would make my day
yeah, i think my penchant for DT covers comes from the Surrounded -> Sugar Mice thing they did on the Chaos in Motion tour. I adore that performance so much, and it'd be great if we could get something like that again
Couldn't disagree more. I loved how they reinterpreted Surrounded for that tour, just as they did with doing Caught in Alice's Nine Inch Tool Garden back in 1996/97. And honestly, I don't think there was that much of the Marillion song included anyway.

I've been pretty adamanent that all I ask from the band is that they do what THEY want and what feels best FOR THEM, but that, my friends, is probably the ONE THING that I would ask OF them moving forward.  More of those interpolations and explorations in the live setting.
Totally with you on that Stads.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2024, 08:26:50 AM »
Couldn't disagree more. I loved how they reinterpreted Surrounded for that tour, just as they did with doing Caught in Alice's Nine Inch Tool Garden back in 1996/97. And honestly, I don't think there was that much of the Marillion song included anyway.

Hmm, the Surrounded extension was a Marillion song?  I'm not too into them so never noticed that, but I absolutely LOVED that live version they did for that tour.

I don't think the "reuinion tour" is the proper place to be doing cover songs, at least full cover songs, but things like that or inserting Metallica into a song are fine and usually pretty fun.  Generally though, I'd be cool if they did random cover songs like they used to do.  I've always thought DT does REALLY good cover songs.  BCSL Disc 2 is an example as well as ACOS extra tracks.  I also have the covers CD unofficial bootleg that is also great.  The big cover medley is awesome too.  I just think the next tour is not the place for this, but I probably wouldn't be too bummed if they did it.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2024, 08:40:06 AM »
It was also "Mother" from Floyd; the solos for "Mother" and "Sugar Mice" are very very similar.   I think the solo was technically "Mother" and then James sang the lyrics for "Sugar Mice", if I remember correctly (and I do, since I went back and listened to it again!).

One of my favorite Dream Theater moments of all time.  I could listen to that on repeat for hours.   

Oh yeah Mother was in there too! great call, and I agree about it being one of the best moments for them live!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2024, 08:50:14 AM »

Hmm, the Surrounded extension was a Marillion song?  I'm not too into them so never noticed that, but I absolutely LOVED that live version they did for that tour.

Yeah, at the end of Petrooch's solo, that last melodic figure is the solo from the Pink Floyd song "Mother", but as I noted, Steve Rothery (Marillion) sort of copped the "Mother" solo for "Sugar Mice", so as the solo ended it sort of morphed a bit to the Marillion solo then James sang the chorus (Bridge?  What?) of "Sugar Mice" ("Coz I know what I feel, know what I want...") then the band goes back into "Surrounded".   Just amazing, if you're asking me.

I don't think the "reuinion tour" is the proper place to be doing cover songs, at least full cover songs, but things like that or inserting Metallica into a song are fine and usually pretty fun.  Generally though, I'd be cool if they did random cover songs like they used to do.  I've always thought DT does REALLY good cover songs.  BCSL Disc 2 is an example as well as ACOS extra tracks.  I also have the covers CD unofficial bootleg that is also great.  The big cover medley is awesome too.  I just think the next tour is not the place for this, but I probably wouldn't be too bummed if they did it.

With you on full covers.  Rather hear DT songs, but just want them to be loose and play with it a little bit. I want that "REAL" feel, flying by the seat of the pants a little bit. Just for the one tour!  :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 09:48:05 AM by Stadler »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2024, 09:45:56 AM »
My tour wish is no more covers. Ever.  :)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2024, 10:46:32 AM »
Stads if you like how DT did that Surrounded -> Mother Mice -> Surrounded bit you'd probably like a few of the more notable jam bands. That kind of seamless/buttery segue from song to song and very often improvised on the spot is pretty common in that arena

of course in order to do that you'd have to sit through jam band singers (notoriously mostly bad) and some cringey songs but the improvs, segues, etc. are always amazing at those types of shows

here's an example one where they go from one of their own songs seamlessly into a Talking Heads cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCdQ5R5IgP4
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2024, 10:49:12 AM »
Funny you mention that; I do like my share of jam bands - Allmans, The Dead, Widespread Panic - but I also agree with you that the vocals are usually the killer.  I like those bands because I love Gregg Allman's voice, Jerry's voice, and John's voice - but interestingly I don't really like Trey Anastasio's voice, so I'm indifferent on Phish, and the Dead lose me as soon as Pigpen, Brent Mydland, or Donna Godchaux start singing.  :)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2024, 11:37:30 AM »
Maybe DT should do a SOA cover

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2024, 11:54:17 AM »
Maybe DT should do a SOA cover

They should cover the whole WGD album :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2024, 12:10:38 PM »
I was going to say that in all seriousness:  the one thing I don't want is to have DT play anything from the offshoots.  If John wants to quote a solo track or an LTE song in a solo, fine, but I don't want to hear James singing the Winery Dogs or anything like that.  NO THANKS.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2024, 12:41:48 PM »
I was going to say that in all seriousness:  the one thing I don't want is to have DT play anything from the offshoots.  If John wants to quote a solo track or an LTE song in a solo, fine, but I don't want to hear James singing the Winery Dogs or anything like that.  NO THANKS.

I wouldn't mind one or two LTE 3 tracks live from DT as there's no real chances of LTE touring anytime soon (if ever), and they already did that between 1999-2002... BUT they have a big enough DT catalog that I wouldn't want them to waste time doing other people's music.

« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2024, 01:04:05 PM »
Funny you mention that; I do like my share of jam bands - Allmans, The Dead, Widespread Panic - but I also agree with you that the vocals are usually the killer.  I like those bands because I love Gregg Allman's voice, Jerry's voice, and John's voice - but interestingly I don't really like Trey Anastasio's voice, so I'm indifferent on Phish, and the Dead lose me as soon as Pigpen, Brent Mydland, or Donna Godchaux start singing.  :)

Love Allmans and the Dead too. not huge on Panic but I agree with your Dead singer's take; all the non-Jerry/Bob singers (and even Bob at times earlier on) were not good haha. Hell Jerry wasn't really good but at least his voice has a nice timbre to it and is soulful
Welcome to the Forums!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2024, 01:58:38 PM »

Well, the thing is, they don't always work, but sure, I guess in principle, I can see it.  I hated Surrounded '07. I'm obviously not into Marillion, and that Pink Floyd solo motif was completely lost on me, but that tour had a quite limited setlist and to extend Surrounded like that, even if they tacked on bands' music that I actually liked, just never sat well with me and it just felt unmercenary because there was not only zero added value, but in fact, it took away from the show.

I felt the same way about Solitary Shell '09. Talk about jumping the shark, that section felt so forced and phony.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2024, 06:11:51 PM »

Well, the thing is, they don't always work, but sure, I guess in principle, I can see it.  I hated Surrounded '07. I'm obviously not into Marillion, and that Pink Floyd solo motif was completely lost on me, but that tour had a quite limited setlist and to extend Surrounded like that, even if they tacked on bands' music that I actually liked, just never sat well with me and it just felt unmercenary because there was not only zero added value, but in fact, it took away from the show.

I felt the same way about Solitary Shell '09. Talk about jumping the shark, that section felt so forced and phony.
Well once again, it's in the eye of the beer-holder. As the old saying goes, "you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time." So you and some others might not like it, but I and others loved it (despite the fact that I cannot for the life of me get into Marillion). I also wasn't a big fan of the stretched out Solitary Shell, nor the stretched out Beyond This Life on the 2004 tour (not a Zappa fan), but I loved the revamped Hollow Years in 2004 and 2009; some may feel the complete opposite. Same is true of the covers that have been touched on. Some don't want covers ever (Gabriel) and others welcome the full album covers (me) and some are in between.

As for the Chaos in Motion tour, while there wasn't as much variety as the previous 3 tours, that's understandable given that those were Evening With tours, whereas the CiM tour was headlining with an opener. But even then, in general I'd say about 1/2 of the setlist was rotated in and out. IIRC, on the North American leg, which you and I attended (I actually saw 8 shows on that leg) Also sprach Zarathustra/Constant Motion, The Dark Eternal Night, In the Presence of Enemies and Schmedley Wilcox were played at all the shows which makes up about 67 minutes (based on the times of the tracks on the CiM live release), but everything else varied.

I just did a quick check according to my records and here's the breakdown for that leg of the tour (25 shows in total). FYI I did this in a hurry so my numbers could be off, but I don't think so.

Also sprach Zarathustra/Constant Motion
The Dark Eternal Night
In the Presence of Enemies
Schmedley Wilcox

Surrounded '07
Blind Faith

keyboard spot/Lines in the Sand

Panic Attack

Scarred

I Walk Beside You

The Spirit Carries On

Take the Time
Strange Deja Vu

Endless Sacrifice

Another Day

Misunderstood
As I Am
Home

Metropolis part 1
Pull Me Under
Never Enough

So yeah, not as much variety as on the previous tours, but still plenty of variety. I think some of the other tour legs may have even seen more variety as more songs were added from the master setlist.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2024, 07:30:55 AM »
So yeah, not as much variety as on the previous tours, but still plenty of variety.

Yeah, definitely plenty of variety still especially when you take into account Schmedley Wilcox and ITPOE were played every night which amounts to like over 30 minutes of the set.  That tour also wasn't an evening with (I don't even remember who opened?  I dont think I saw the opener when I went, it was also my first DT concert ever that tour).  So I think if you take all that into account, and maybe some recent memory bias of no variety, that actually looks pretty good to me. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2024, 11:12:04 AM »
I don't even remember who opened?
For the North American leg, it was Into Eternity *and* Redemption. For Europe, IIRC, it was Symphony X.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2024, 11:19:33 AM »
I don't even remember who opened?
For the North American leg, it was Into Eternity *and* Redemption. For Europe, IIRC, it was Symphony X.

Thanks, kind of wish I was more into "the scene" back then, definitely would have enjoyed seeing Redemption, but I wasn't familiar with them at all back then and I also dragged my x gf to that show and she wanted nothing to do with seeing any more than I wanted with DT  :lol

Offline mariner

« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2024, 08:52:30 AM »
Evening with... please!

Offline Progmaniac1988

« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2024, 09:17:08 AM »
Really hoping for some evening with shows when the tour rolls out. Way much music I want to hear from DT for just one set

Maybe following the evening with progressive nation can return
Supporting act possibilities

Haken
Symphony X
Frost*
Circus Maximus
Darkwater
DGM
Evergrey

Of course not every one of those bands in one tour, but I feel all those bands would mesh very well touring with DT…