Author Topic: Random Sports Thread  (Read 5229 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Random Sports Thread
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2021, 12:17:55 PM »
^^ 51 years?  I thought they are longer than the Rangers were (which was 54 years before they won it in 1994).

Sorry, yeah... typo there.  I knew they passed the Rangers drought this year.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2021, 05:32:18 PM »

NFL:  Arizona/St. Louis/Chicago Cardinals (73 years - last NFL title in 1947 -- will be at least 74 years even if they win the next SB)

NBA:  Sacramento/Kansas City Kings/Rochester Royals (70 years - last NBA championship in 1951 -- will be at least 71 years even if they win the next title)

Despite these "franchises" technically being the same ones throughout, I think when they have moved many times.....it dilutes the relevance to drought. The time alone is detaching, but combined with 2 or esp. 3 (more?) moves....the connection to the past becomes more and more esoteric. I think it's the geography that is the primary catalyst for the allegiance.

In that context, I have no tangible reference point to the Rochester Royals. I BARELY remember the Kansas City Kings, though as I recall it was the Kansas City-Omaha Kings (which is even stranger).

So thinking in terms of franchises who have NEVER won a championship (as shown above, Cardinals and Kings have both won titles in their history), the Denver Nuggets are now 54 years in existence.....and have never even been in the FINALS (even the Rockies made it to the World Series), of the NBA (Suns have always been in Phoenix, but are 53 years old and have been to now TWO NBA finals), nor of their organization of establishment (the now distant memory called the ABA). Speaking of the latter, I could also entertain the idea of the ABA not being relevant for somewhat similar reasons....but even if you subtract those 9 years, 45 is quite awhile too.

This fact was all the more pronounced by the Avalanche (another moving team) winning the Stanley Cup in their first year in Colorado! Having no ties to the Quebec Nordiques, it seemed like a NEW  expansion team to a lot of relatively casual fans of the NHL here (though REALLY OLD SCHOOL NHL fans might remember the woeful Colorado Rockies NHL team, who are now the New Jersey Devils)....and not only did it spoil fans of that sport in Colorado, the Avs brought the FIRST professional championship to a very strong sports fan city (Denver) and state. Even though it will always be a BRONCOS first area, there's something quite profound about the first title....and the team/players who brought it to ALL sports fans in Colorado. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 05:47:28 PM by crazy climber dude »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2021, 08:43:47 PM »
Despite these "franchises" technically being the same ones throughout, I think when they have moved many times.....it dilutes the relevance to drought. The time alone is detaching, but combined with 2 or esp. 3 (more?) moves....the connection to the past becomes more and more esoteric. I think it's the geography that is the primary catalyst for the allegiance.

Reasonable points.

For reference, the Rochester Royals actually moved to Cincinnati before moving to Sacto:

- 1957 - Rochester Royals
1957 - 1972 - Cincinnati Royals
1972 - 1975 - Kansas City-Omaha Kings
1975 - 1985 - Kansas City Kings
1985 - present - Sacramento Kings

I first starting following basketball in 1979 or 1980.  The first Finals I watched was the 1980 finals between the Dr. J 76'ers and the Lakers in Magic Johnson's rookie year.  At that time, I knew the Kansas City Kings with Phil Ford as their best player.

Anyway, if you want to look at teams with the longest droughts in their current cities, you'd have the Leafs and Indians as previously mentioned and

NFL:  Detroit Lions - currently 63 years (last NFL title in 1957)
NBA:  Denver Nuggets - current 54 years (including ABA and NBA years) and Atlanta Hawks (never won title in franchise history, including 53 years in Atlanta) and Phoenix Suns (never won title since coming into existence in 1968)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2021, 09:29:25 AM »

Reasonable points.

For reference, the Rochester Royals actually moved to Cincinnati before moving to Sacto:

I first starting following basketball in 1979 or 1980.  The first Finals I watched was the 1980 finals between the Dr. J 76'ers and the Lakers in Magic Johnson's rookie year.  At that time, I knew the Kansas City Kings with Phil Ford as their best player.

Anyway, if you want to look at teams with the longest droughts in their current cities, you'd have the Leafs and Indians as previously mentioned and

NBA:  Denver Nuggets - current 54 years (including ABA and NBA years) and Atlanta Hawks (never won title in franchise history, including 53 years in Atlanta) and Phoenix Suns (never won title since coming into existence in 1968)

Ah yes, you're right. It was the Kansas City Kings (without Omaha) for several years. Phil Ford from Indiana, wasn't he? I seem to recall some tall guy with bad knees....always wore big kneepads. Lacey?

Yes, the woeful Lions. And like the Nuggets they haven't even sniffed a title in those 63 years. Even with the greatest running back ever, Barry Sanders, I don't think they even made it to the NFC championship....the playoffs a couple of times as I recall (Hipple, Kramer?), but usually lost that first game.

Did the Hawks at least make the Eastern Conference Finals (with Wilkins)? And then I think Phoenix made to the NBA Finals it in the 70's with Paul Westphal.....one of the great playoff games of all time.... with Garfield Heard HIGH ARCING shot that sent the game into triple overtime at the buzzer. But eventually lost to the Celtics with Jo Jo White, Dave Cowens, I think it was. I remember how exciting that was as a kid.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2021, 07:54:27 PM »
Watching some Olympics Rugby 7s right now.  Don't really know how the rules work, but I'm having a good time watching it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2021, 11:15:34 AM »

Reasonable points.

Ah yes, you're right. It was the Kansas City Kings (without Omaha) for several years. Phil Ford from Indiana, wasn't he? I seem to recall some tall guy with bad knees....always wore big kneepads. Lacey?

Yes, the woeful Lions. And like the Nuggets they haven't even sniffed a title in those 63 years. Even with the greatest running back ever, Barry Sanders, I don't think they even made it to the NFC championship....the playoffs a couple of times as I recall (Hipple, Kramer?), but usually lost that first game.

Did the Hawks at least make the Eastern Conference Finals (with Wilkins)? And then I think Phoenix made to the NBA Finals it in the 70's with Paul Westphal.....one of the great playoff games of all time.... with Garfield Heard HIGH ARCING shot that sent the game into triple overtime at the buzzer. But eventually lost to the Celtics with Jo Jo White, Dave Cowens, I think it was. I remember how exciting that was as a kid.

In the Super Bowl era, the Lions have qualified for the playoffs 12 times.  Their playoff record during that time?  1-12.  They had a run during the '90s when they qualified for the playoffs in seven of nine years.  Their only victory was in 1991 against the Cowboys.  They then lost to the Redskins, who went on to defeat the Bills in SB26.  In the 21 seasons of the 2000s, they have qualified for the playoffs only thrice (2011, 2014 and 2016.

In the pre-Super Bowl era, the Lions won four NFL Championships in 1935, 52, 53 and 57 and won the Playoff Bowl three consecutive years (1960-62).  Never heard of the Playoff Bowl?  I hadn't either.  Apparently, between 1960-69, the NFL decided to hold a consolation game at the Orange Bowl in Miami between the second place teams in each conference (while the first place teams played for the NFL Championship).  The game was officially known as The Bert Bell Benefit Bowl (Bell was NFL commissioner from 1946-59).  Vince Lombardi called the game "called it "the 'Shit Bowl,' . . . a losers' bowl for losers," and "a hinky-dink football game, held in a hinky-dink town, played by hinky-dink players.  That's all second place is – hinky dink."

Since the NBA moved from a division format to a conference format sometime in the 1970s, the Hawks have made it past the second round (conference semifinals) only twice (2015 and 2021).

The Suns made it to the NBA finals thrice:  1976 (losing to the Celtics in 6 games); 1993 (losing to the Bulls in 6 games); and 2021 (losing to the Bucks in 6 games).  The game you mentioned was game 5 of the 1976 NBA Finals.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2021, 11:30:47 AM »
How could any team go to the playoffs 12 times and have a record of 1-12?  ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2021, 11:31:35 AM »
They got destroyed so bad by the Bears back in '85 it counted as two losses.   :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2021, 11:37:56 AM »

Ummm...very easily.

In eleven of those seasons, the Lions lost in their first (and only) playoff game.  That makes them 0-11.

In the other season, they won the first game, which makes them 1-11.  They then lost the next game, so the record is 1-12.

They got destroyed so bad by the Bears back in '85 it counted as two losses.   :)

The Lions were 7-9 and finished fourth in the NFC Central that season.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2021, 11:57:58 AM »

Ummm...very easily.

In eleven of those seasons, the Lions lost in their first (and only) playoff game.  That makes them 0-11.

In the other season, they won the first game, which makes them 1-11.  They then lost the next game, so the record is 1-12.

Logistically, that's the natural answer.  But theoretically, how can a franchise field such inept teams over that long a span?  I mean, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and a while.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2021, 12:36:23 PM »
Hinky dink reminds me of this scene from the movie The Fugitive:

Marshal Bobby Biggs:
It's hinky, Sam. I mean, this guy is a college graduate. He became a doctor. I mean, he ain't gonna go through here with all this security. Hinky.

Deputy Marshal Samuel Gerard:
Biggs, what does that mean, hinky?

Marshal Bobby Biggs:
I don't know. Strange. Weird

Well, why don't you say strange or weird? I mean hinky, that has no meaning.

Marshal Bobby Biggs:
Well, we say hinky.

I don't want you guys using words with no meaning. I'm taking the stairs

Marshal Bobby Biggs:
[sotto voice] How about bullshit? How about bullshit, Sam?

But evidently, it's also the name of an old supermarket chain in Nebraska. Where Gretchen went.   ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2021, 01:57:21 PM »
Logistically, that's the natural answer.  But theoretically, how can a franchise field such inept teams over that long a span?  I mean, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and a while.

Well...I have to face palm myself, then.   :facepalm:

I love that scene!  I thought that guy's name was Cosmo, not Bobby.  Or maybe it was one of the other deputies that said it...  Been a while.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2021, 03:45:09 PM »
Cosmo is Joey Pants, he's not in that scene
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2021, 06:19:48 AM »

Well...I have to face palm myself, then.   :facepalm:

I love that scene!  I thought that guy's name was Cosmo, not Bobby.  Or maybe it was one of the other deputies that said it...  Been a while.
Love that entire movie. The train wreck scene! Ford and esp. Tommy Lee Jones.....brilliant acting.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2021, 06:54:54 AM »
I saw a stat the other day that I haven't verified, and I'm not sure how to do it, but it sounded cool, so here it is.

Nolan Ryan struck out 7 players that had sons to grow up and also be struck out by Nolan Ryan.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2021, 07:07:03 AM »
I saw a stat the other day that I haven't verified, and I'm not sure how to do it, but it sounded cool, so here it is.

Nolan Ryan struck out 7 players that had sons to grow up and also be struck out by Nolan Ryan.

Almost like a Chuck Norris joke but probably true.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2021, 11:11:10 AM »

Joey Pants??  What?

Love that entire movie. The train wreck scene! Ford and esp. Tommy Lee Jones.....brilliant acting.

Definitely an all-time favorite...and one I don't revisit nearly enough.

That's freakin' wild...and very much true.

- Sandy Alomar (1974), Roberto Alomar (1988) and Sandy Alomar Jr. (1990)

- Bobby Bonds (1969) and Barry Bonds (1988).

- Tito Francona (1968) and Terry Francona (1983)

- Ken Griffey (1980) and Ken Griffey Jr. (1989)

- Hal McRae (1973) and Brian McRae (1991)

- Dick ("Ducky") Schofield (1968) and Dick Schofield Jr. (1989)

- Maury Wills (1970) and Bump Wills (1977).

I suspect he got many of these guys more than once, but this site -- http://ryan34.itgo.com/ryanfs.html -- specific dates, which can be verified against box scores at baseball-reference.com.

Again, fucking amazing!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2021, 07:00:44 PM »

Joey Pants??  What?

Joe Pantoliano.

The Fugitive is a great film. When Harrison Ford was on that Inside the Actor's Studio show, the interviewer said "Harrison, you looked so scared in that scene in the dam" and he replied, in full humor "yeah, because I was scared, I was doing a scene with Tommy Lee Jones."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline romdrums

« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2021, 09:34:52 PM »

Ummm...very easily.

I lived in Michigan during most of their playoff ineptitude.  Their main problem was QB.  They had Rodney Peete, Erik Kramer and Andre Ware constantly rotating at QB, for 3-4 years.  None of them could develop any consistency due to injuries, bad coaching, and bad play.  They had the best RB in the game at the time, and couldn’t figure out how to build an offense around him.  Then they ditched all 3 of those QB’s for Scott Mitchell, better known in Michigan as Scud Mitchell.  His first season with the team, he got benched after 9 games for Dave Krieg, who posted a 5-2 record down the stretch to get them into the playoffs.  I remember another season they started 2-6, only to finish 10-6 and then getting blown out in their playoff game by the Eagles, whose QB was Rodney Peete!  Then, if I’m not mistaken, they finished the decade with Gus Frerotte and Charlie Batch as their QB’s.  That’s a list almost as sad as the Browns prior to Baker Mayfield.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 09:44:14 PM by romdrums »
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2021, 09:38:43 PM »

Ummm...very easily.

Have the Maple Leafs really not won a playoff series since 2004, missing the playoffs in 11 of those seasons?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2021, 04:37:43 AM »

Ummm...very easily.

I lived in Michigan during most of their playoff ineptitude.  Their main problem was QB.  They had Rodney Peete, Erik Kramer and Andre Ware constantly rotating at QB, for 3-4 years.  None of them could develop any consistency due to injuries, bad coaching, and bad play.  They had the best RB in the game at the time, and couldn’t figure out how to build an offense around him.  Then they ditched all 3 of those QB’s for Scott Mitchell, better known in Michigan as Scud Mitchell.  His first season with the team, he got benched after 9 games for Dave Krieg, who posted a 5-2 record down the stretch to get them into the playoffs.  I remember another season they started 2-6, only to finish 10-6 and then getting blown out in their playoff game by the Eagles, whose QB was Rodney Peete!  Then, if I’m not mistaken, they finished the decade with Gus Frerotte and Charlie Batch as their QB’s.  That’s a list almost as sad as the Browns prior to Baker Mayfield.

Wow. I had forgotten all of those different quarterbacks. You're right.....that's a pathetic list. Scott Mitchell. Wasn't he a lefty? I think he was from University of Utah.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2021, 11:39:13 AM »

Ummm...very easily.

Have the Maple Leafs really not won a playoff series since 2004, missing the playoffs in 11 of those seasons?

That's harsh, man!   :lol  Also, it was "only" 10 of those seasons (10 of the first 11 coming out of the lockout).

Rodney Peete (USC alum) co-hosts a sports talk radio show here in SoCal.  He's TERRIBLE at his job (especially when talking about anything other than football), but they promote him as if he were some sort of NFL legend.  It's just sad.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2021, 11:48:12 AM »

Ummm...very easily.

Yes, now kindly go piss off.   :lol

Stat flashed up yesterday by TSN was the teams with the most regular season points over the last 5 years, and number of playoff rounds they've won:

1. Tampa - 10
2. Washington - 6
3. Boston - 5
4. Pittsburgh - 5
5. Toronto - 0

« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2021, 12:22:05 PM »
Didn't want to interfere with the bike talk/showcase oriented "Motorcycle Thread"....but wondered if anyone watches/follows the Monster Energy Supercross or Lucas Oil Motocross races/riders?

I used to watch a LONG time ago with Jeremy McGrath (and then sporadically with the Ricky Carmichael to James Stewart eras)....but recently started getting into it more passionately again. There is a LOT of talent in both cc classes. Would enjoy electronic banter on that topic, though my sense is that it might be similar to the UFC/Boxing thread....very spotty.

« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2021, 04:31:07 PM »
Lots of football this weekend, but thought this was worth mentioning.....US Open tennis qualifier Emma Radacanu, from Great Britain and only 18 years old, wins her first tournament....a MAJOR. With the possible exception of Wimbledon....no bigger spotlight on a player than the US Open in the Big Apple.

She was ranked somewhere in the 300's going into the tournament and had to qualify beforehand. As such, she was 100-1 odds to win.....as this was only her 5th tournament ever.

She beat fellow teenager, Canadian Leylah Fernandez, 19 years old, in straight sets. In fact, Radacanu did not drop a set in 7 matches during the 13 day event. Total domination.

And, OBTW.....she takes home a COOL 2.5 million dollars for her victory. Incredible!

Finally....for you younger forum users.....she also has a great personality, composed WAY beyond her years, and.....CUTE as a button.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 04:38:25 PM by crazy climber dude »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2021, 04:50:42 PM »
Dang. When I was 18 it was a good day for me if I made it to my 8:00am physics class on time.

And tomorrow Novak goes for 21 and the first men's grand slam since Nixon was President.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2021, 07:49:07 PM »
Lots of football this weekend, but thought this was worth mentioning.....US Open tennis qualifier Emma Radacanu, from Great Britain and only 18 years old, wins her first tournament....a MAJOR. With the possible exception of Wimbledon....no bigger spotlight on a player than the US Open in the Big Apple.

She was ranked somewhere in the 300's going into the tournament and had to qualify beforehand. As such, she was 100-1 odds to win.....as this was only her 5th tournament ever.

She beat fellow teenager, Canadian Leylah Fernandez, 19 years old, in straight sets. In fact, Radacanu did not drop a set in 7 matches during the 13 day event. Total domination.

And, OBTW.....she takes home a COOL 2.5 million dollars for her victory. Incredible!

Finally....for you younger forum users.....she also has a great personality, composed WAY beyond her years, and.....CUTE as a button.

That was a high quality exciting and competitive match. Being a British born Canadian myself, I didn’t want to see either of them lose.

This has been a great US Open tournament and there is still a huge match to come tomorrow with Djokovic going for a calendar grand slam and a record 21st grand slam title.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2021, 07:00:53 AM »

Ummm...very easily.

You give it to him in the NHL thread, and now here lol? Can't you give Chad, and his crappy, crappy team a break?

« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2021, 08:04:18 AM »

That was a high quality exciting and competitive match. Being a British born Canadian myself, I didn’t want to see either of them lose.

This has been a great US Open tournament and there is still a huge match to come tomorrow with Djokovic going for a calendar grand slam and a record 21st grand slam title.

So if he beats Medvedev (a tough task considering how well HE is playing).....does he supplant Federer as the GOAT? Or did you already think he was before this tournament?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2021, 04:46:06 PM »
Well, that was anticlimactic. I looked at some numbers, and Novak holds the lead in head-to-head matches won against the other two, both in majors and in general. He also reached 20 a few years before Roger, and I can't believe he won't win more. 

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2021, 08:15:29 AM »
The Toronto Blue Jays everyone.........the Toronto Blue Jays!!
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2021, 09:38:51 AM »
The Toronto Blue Jays everyone.........the Toronto Blue Jays!!
They're still not going to make it unless the Yankees continue to implode. The Jays started streaking too early, I reckon.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2021, 09:41:42 AM »
For the Europe based DTFers: are cycling races outside of the Grand Tours regularly televised?

In Canada, I can't even get the TDF anymore without streaming it from a subscription service online ever since SportsNet dropped their rights to the race. Televised World Championships? No chance.

« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2021, 12:56:14 PM »
Well, that was anticlimactic. I looked at some numbers, and Novak holds the lead in head-to-head matches won against the other two, both in majors and in general. He also reached 20 a few years before Roger, and I can't believe he won't win more.

Right. I agree....and at times seemed dominant over Federer and Nadal. And yet, since he's the youngest of the 3......it's almost like you have to do a little more to "pass" them, beyond winning more tournaments/slams (or even head to head). This calendar slam would have been the thing that distinguishes him in my mind. But you are also right in that he has more time and is capable (although Medvedev and Zverev are not going anywhere....and even Tsitsipas and Thiem as wild card agitators in the mix)....and Federer looks like he might be done competing at the highest level anymore.

Nadal still seems to be highly competitive at times. But wonder about him too....he fought some injuries this year too. And was beatable on clay several times as well (lost to Rublev, Zverev, and Djokovic).....a surface he typically overwhelmingly dominates.