Author Topic: Random Sports Thread  (Read 5227 times)

Offline pg1067

Random Sports Thread
« on: May 12, 2021, 01:10:13 PM »
Random stuff!

Looking at the last 30 championships in each of the major North American sports leagues:

NHL:  From the 1989-90 season through 2019-20, 16 of the current 31 teams won the Stanley Cup and 25 teams made the SCF.  The team with the most Cups is Pittsburgh (5), and nine teams won one Cup each.  No team won more than two in a row (Penguins did it twice and the Red Wings once).  During this time period, the NHL grew by nearly 50%, from 21 teams to 31 teams.

NBA:  From the 1990-91 season through 2019-20, 11 of the current 31 teams won the NBA Championship and 20 teams made it to the Finals.  The Chicago and Los Angeles (Lakers, duh) have the most titles (6 each), and five teams won one title each.  The Bulls and Lakers won three titles in a row (with the Bulls doing it twice).  During this time period, the NBA grew from 27 teams to 30.

NFL:  From the 1991 season through 2020 (SB 26-55), 16 of the current 32 teams won the Super Bowl and 24 teams made the Super Bowl.  The team with the most Super Bowls is New England (6), and eight teams won one Super Bowl each.  No team has ever won more than two Super Bowls in a row, but three teams won two in a row during this period (Cowboys, Broncos and Patriots).  During this time period, the NFL grew from 28 teams to 32.

MLB:  From 1990 season through 2020, 18 of the current 30 teams won the World Series and 26 teams made the World Series (only the Mariners, Pirates, Brewers and Orioles did not make the World Series during this stretch).  The team with the most titles is New York (Yankees, duh), and twelve teams won one World Series each.  The only teams to win multiple titles in a row were the Blue Jays (1992-93) and Yankees (1998-2000).  It has been 20 years since anyone repeated as World Series Champion.  During this time period, the MLB grew from 26 teams to 30.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Random Sports Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 08:05:17 PM »
I’ll chime in later with the “unbeatable” records.  Not sure I know a lot for all sports, but I do for the NHL.

Lord help us if/when Josh sees this thread.  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 08:36:06 PM »
Brewers pitcher Corbin Burnes set a new record today for most strikeouts to begin a season without walking a batter at 58. Unfortunately he walked his first batter later in the game.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 11:18:01 AM »
I’ll chime in later with the “unbeatable” records.  Not sure I know a lot for all sports, but I do for the NHL.

I'll start with this one for MLB that almost no one talks about:  36 triples in a season, set by Owen Wilson (WOW!) in 1912.

Before you poo-poo this as an unbreakable record, consider that, in 2019 (the last full season), Eduardo Escobar led the MLB with 10 triples.  That's less than 1/3 of the MLB record.  This is not true for any other stat.  Moreover, since 1932, there have been only FIVE seasons in which the MLB leader had 20 or more.  Despite being a speedster and playing most of his career in Oakland, Rickey Henderson never hit more than seven triples in a season (probably because he stopped at second and stole third a lot).  Vince Coleman?  He has 12 once and 10 thrice.  Willie Wilson led the AL five times and the MLB four times, but his best was 21.  Tim Raines?  Never better than 13.

Ain't no one gettin' more than 36 triples.

Brewers pitcher Corbin Burnes set a new record today for most strikeouts to begin a season without walking a batter at 58. Unfortunately he walked his first batter later in the game.

You forgot to mention the three hit batters...but also the 1.57 ERA and 0.641 WHIP (and he was really good in LA Law and Major League).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 12:35:16 PM »
Here's some of the NHL's unbreakable records (some discussed recently in the NHL thread).

I aint' gonna bother with Gretz's... we all know what they are, but you can read 'em here.  Don't any even TRY to say Ovi can catch him for all-time goals.  Ain't never gonna happen) https://www.nhl.com/news/the-great-ones-23-unbreakable-records/c-585698

But some non-Gretz unbreakable records
Teemu Selanne: rookie goals/points - 76/132 respectively
Orr:  Single season points by a defenceman (139) and single seaon +/- (any position; 124)
Glenn Hall: Consecutive starts by a goalie (502)
'77-'78 Boston Bruins: 11 players with 20 or more goals.

And the one record that literally will never be broken:
Most goals scored in a single overtime: Ken Doraty (1936; Leafs vs Sens)
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 12:46:11 PM »
As to triples, I instantly checked Willie Mays stats.  Five times in double digits.  His highest total was 20 in 1957, one of three times he would lead the NL. 

Oh, btw, he also hit 26 doubles, 35 HRs, and had 38 steals in '57. He had become only the second player in the 30-30 club the prior year.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 12:48:26 PM »

I'm sorry.  What???  How was that even possible. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 02:04:26 PM »

I'm sorry.  What???  How was that even possible.

Apparently, regular season OT wasn't sudden-death when first introduced in the late 20s.  Regular season OT was scrapped in the 40s, returning in '83 as sudden-death.  I didn't even know this until today - I just wanted to get some of the years and figures right for what I posted above, and stumbled across this gem.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 04:00:24 PM »
Here's some of the NHL's unbreakable records (some discussed recently in the NHL thread).

I aint' gonna bother with Gretz's... we all know what they are, but you can read 'em here.  Don't any even TRY to say Ovi can catch him for all-time goals.  Ain't never gonna happen) https://www.nhl.com/news/the-great-ones-23-unbreakable-records/c-585698

But some non-Gretz unbreakable records
Teemu Selanne: rookie goals/points - 76/132 respectively
Orr:  Single season points by a defenceman (139) and single seaon +/- (any position; 124)
Glenn Hall: Consecutive starts by a goalie (502)
'77-'78 Boston Bruins: 11 players with 20 or more goals.

If you look at Ovi's last five seasons, he scored 205 goals in 358 games played, which works out to .5726 goals per game (which is only a little bit down from his career average of .6099).  To catch Gretzky would require 164 more goals.  Even if you assume Ovi can maintain the same pace from his last five seasons, he'd need 287 more games, which is about three and a half seasons.  If his pace drops to .5 goals per game, then he'd need exactly four full seasons, and if the pace drops to .4 goals per game, he'd need five full seasons.

Probably not doable, but I'm not going to write it off just yet.  However, it does make you wonder "what if?" he'd gotten to play full seasons in 2012-13 and the past two seasons, to say nothing of the lost 2004-05 season.  He's been remarkably injury free his whole career, which is one reason he's gotten as far as he has.  Had he not lost at least 125 games to labor issues and COVID, he'd be around 800 and an odds-on favorite to break the record.

I remember the first time I looked up Orr's career stats and saw his +/- numbers.  Holy shit!  How did the Bruins not win more Cups?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 04:21:12 PM »
Here's some completely random and coincidental stuff:

Going back to Super Bowl 39, the team wearing white jerseys has won 14 out of 17 games (the Chiefs in SB54, the Eagles in SB52, and the Packers in SB45 are the only exceptions.

Overall, the team in the white jerseys has won 35 out of 55 Super Bowls.

The five teams that have played in more than five Super Bowls (Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys, Broncos and 49ers) are, overall, 16-7 when wearing white and 9-10 in some other color.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 12:18:36 AM »
The Giants are the only team with white face masks to win the SB.  They did it twice, against the Broncos and Bills (who also had white face masks at the time).  The Steelers were the first team to win with non gray facemasks.

After the Cowboys lost to the Colts in SB V, they swore off blue jerseys for any game, unless forced to wear them.

The Dolphins could have completed their perfect 17-0 season with a 17-0 SB win, but Yepremian had other ideas (gawd, I'm old enough to remember him kicking for my old Lions, and setting the then record of six FGs in one game in his rookie year).
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 05:34:35 AM »
If you look at Ovi's last five seasons, he scored 205 goals in 358 games played, which works out to .5726 goals per game (which is only a little bit down from his career average of .6099).  To catch Gretzky would require 164 more goals.  Even if you assume Ovi can maintain the same pace from his last five seasons, he'd need 287 more games, which is about three and a half seasons.  If his pace drops to .5 goals per game, then he'd need exactly four full seasons, and if the pace drops to .4 goals per game, he'd need five full seasons.

Probably not doable, but I'm not going to write it off just yet.  However, it does make you wonder "what if?" he'd gotten to play full seasons in 2012-13 and the past two seasons, to say nothing of the lost 2004-05 season.  He's been remarkably injury free his whole career, which is one reason he's gotten as far as he has.  Had he not lost at least 125 games to labor issues and COVID, he'd be around 800 and an odds-on favorite to break the record.

I'll grant the 'what if' around the '04-'05 lost season.  But Gretz also had a 1/2 season lockout in '94-'95. Still.... I'd literally bet my house that Ovi does NOT break it.  I just don't see him getting that many goals this late in his career.  And even if he does, I still don't consider him the greatest ... Gretz had 46 goals in the WHA as a rookie.  At 35 years old, Gretz had 837 goals; looking at it another way, the final 5 years of HIS career, he only scored 91 goals.  Father time catches up with everyone.

I'd also like a 'what-if' for Jagr.  Give him 3 more seasons in the NHL from '08-'11, and he's the clear #2 in a lot more offensive categories (#1 in games played).  He was still almost 1 ppg in those years.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 08:44:17 AM »

The Dolphins could have completed their perfect 17-0 season with a 17-0 SB win, but Yepremian had other ideas (gawd, I'm old enough to remember him kicking for my old Lions, and setting the then record of six FGs in one game in his rookie year).

Yeah, it's crazy to think that they could have gone undefeated AND had a shutout in the Super Bowl if not for that special teams gaffe.

The Ravens D also pitched a shutout in Super Bowl 33 against the Giants, but won 34-7 thanks to the Giants returning a kickoff for a TD.

IIRC, those are the only two defenses to pitch shutouts in the Super Bowl (but the final score was not a shutout due to the other team getting a defensive and/or ST score), unless I am forgetting another?

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 08:50:54 AM »

Yeah, it's crazy to think that they could have gone undefeated AND had a shutout in the Super Bowl if not for that special teams gaffe.

The Ravens D also pitched a shutout in Super Bowl 33 against the Giants, but won 34-7 thanks to the Giants returning a kickoff for a TD.

IIRC, those are the only two defenses to pitch shutouts in the Super Bowl (but the final score was not a shutout due to the other team getting a defensive and/or ST score), unless I am forgetting another?

Cowboys 24 Fins 3

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2021, 07:03:29 PM »
I'll grant the 'what if' around the '04-'05 lost season.  But Gretz also had a 1/2 season lockout in '94-'95. Still.... I'd literally bet my house that Ovi does NOT break it.  I just don't see him getting that many goals this late in his career.  And even if he does, I still don't consider him the greatest ... Gretz had 46 goals in the WHA as a rookie.  At 35 years old, Gretz had 837 goals; looking at it another way, the final 5 years of HIS career, he only scored 91 goals.  Father time catches up with everyone.

I'd also like a 'what-if' for Jagr.  Give him 3 more seasons in the NHL from '08-'11, and he's the clear #2 in a lot more offensive categories (#1 in games played).  He was still almost 1 ppg in those years.

For sure re Jagr (and he also lost games in the 94-95 season).  And yeah...Ovi keeping up his recent pace isn't realistic, but it's still possible even if he drops off.  Of course, if he gets any sort of significant injury, that'll put the kibosh on it real quick.

Cowboys 24 Fins 3

Ummm...that "3" was neither a defensive nor special teams score.  That field goal means the Cowboys' defense did not "pitch a shutout."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 01:56:46 PM »
This might be more appropriate for the NBA thread, but I don't ever post there.

There are eight teams remaining the 2021 NBA playoffs:  Philadelphia, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Brooklyn, Utah, LA Clippers, Denver, and Phoenix.

Five of those teams (Suns, Jazz, Nets, Nuggets and Clippers) have never won an NBA title, and the Clippers and Nuggets have never made the NBA finals (the Nets -- then known as the New York Nets -- did win two ABA titles on the strength of Julius Erving).

The other three teams (Sixers, Hawks and Bucks) have won 5 NBA titles between them (3 by the Sixers, one by the Hawks, and one by the Bucks).  The most recent of those titles was in 1983 by the Sixers (again, led by Dr. J).  Prior to that was the Bucks in 1971, the Sixers in 1967, and the ST. LOUIS Hawks in 1958.

In NFL terms, this would be like having the final 8 teams be the Browns, Jaguars, Jets, Dolphins, Falcons, Vikings, Bears and Cardinals.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 02:39:19 PM »
The NFC won 14 consecutive coin tosses at the Super Bowl from 1998 - 2011.  Surely, a feat that will never be equaled.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2021, 03:45:02 PM »
The NFC won 14 consecutive coin tosses at the Super Bowl from 1998 - 2011.  Surely, a feat that will never be equaled.

That's wild!

Interestingly, that 14-year coin toss streak (SB 32-45) coincides with the end of the NFC's streak of 13 consecutive SB wins (and 15 out of 16).  During the NFC's win streak from SB 19-31, the NFC was 9-4 in coin tosses, which means the NFC won 23 out of 27 coin tosses from SB 19-45!  However, during the 14-year coin toss win streak, the NFC's record in the game was only 5-9.

The same AFC team -- the Patriots -- won the coin toss on either side of the NFC's 14-year streak (in losing efforts both times - 31 and 46).

Through the first 30 SBs, the team that won the coin toss won the game 16 of 30 times (on game better than 50/50).  However, over the last 25 games, the team winning the coin toss is an abysmal 7-18 (28%), making the overall record 23 out of 55 times (41.8%).*

* - This does not include the overtime coin toss in SB51, which the Patriots won.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2021, 02:38:44 PM »
The NHL putting a team in Vegas was a stroke of brilliance. Frankly, I’m shocked that they beat the NFL to the punch.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2021, 08:03:57 AM »

That's wild!

Interestingly, that 14-year coin toss streak (SB 32-45) coincides with the end of the NFC's streak of 13 consecutive SB wins (and 15 out of 16).  During the NFC's win streak from SB 19-31, the NFC was 9-4 in coin tosses, which means the NFC won 23 out of 27 coin tosses from SB 19-45!  However, during the 14-year coin toss win streak, the NFC's record in the game was only 5-9.

The same AFC team -- the Patriots -- won the coin toss on either side of the NFC's 14-year streak (in losing efforts both times - 31 and 46).

Through the first 30 SBs, the team that won the coin toss won the game 16 of 30 times (on game better than 50/50).  However, over the last 25 games, the team winning the coin toss is an abysmal 7-18 (28%), making the overall record 23 out of 55 times (41.8%).*

* - This does not include the overtime coin toss in SB51, which the Patriots won.

Cue accusations that Belichick fixed the flip.  ;) :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2021, 09:16:12 AM »
Isn't it obvious?

If you're not cheating, you're not trying!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2021, 07:55:51 PM »
French Open themed post:

Rafa Nadal is 105-3 at Roland Garros.

Djokovic will be playing against Stefanos Tsitsipas for the championship, who has been alive for only three more years than Novak has Grand Slam titles.

The career stats of Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic are ridiculous. Has there every been an extended run when three individuals dominated their sport to such a degree as these three?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2021, 10:24:20 PM »
French Open themed post:

Djokovic will be playing against Stefanos Tsitsipas for the championship, who has been alive for only three more years than Novak has Grand Slam titles.

The career stats of Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic are ridiculous. Has there every been an extended run when three individuals dominated their sport to such a degree as these three?

You kinda have to limit this inquiry to individual sports, don'tcha?

I don't know anything about modern tennis (I've heard of Federer, but I don't know the other four guys you mentioned), but what about Connors, Borg and McEnroe from the mid-70s to mid-80s?  Or Evert-Lloyd, Navartalova and Graf around the same time?  And I know even less about golf than I do about tennis, but what about Watson, Palmer and Niklaus back in...I don't know...whenever they were dominant?  A.J. Foyt and the Unser brothers?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2021, 11:38:29 PM »
Sorry to crash the party. :p

I am not a tennis guy, but grow increasingly amazed at how these three guys have dominated the sport for two decades. Since 2003 Wimbledon, Novak, Roger and Rafa have won 58 of the 70 Men's Grand Slams. Of the 12 times they did not win, one of the them lost in the finals 6 times. In that time, only 8 others have won a Slam. Only 2 of those 8 have won more than 1, each having won 3. 

Between 1970-1990, 29 people won at least one Men's Grand Slam.

I know Major Championships/Grand Slams are not everything, but it is a common barometer to judge greatness.

Quick comparison in golf: between 1862 and 1986 (Jack's first and 18th Major), 46 people won at least one Major out of 100 tournaments. (very quick math, might be off a bit). Jack, Watson and Player dominated, but several other players were able to sneak in one or two, sometimes three.

And this is a sports thread, so no need to discuss auto racing  :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline dparrott

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2021, 01:45:59 PM »
I've gotten into women's soccer in the past year.  It's not as serious as men's which makes it more fun for me, less drama, and there's more scoring at times.  Orlando has awesome new space jerseys, and LA and San Diego are getting new women's teams next year.   
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2021, 02:02:45 PM »
French Open themed post:

The Nadal-Djokovic semi-final was amazing, though not the result I was hoping for.

It is indeed amazing that those three players have utterly dominated the sport for such a long period of time. Without a doubt the three greatest ever players.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2021, 02:13:59 PM »
The GOAT conversation between Federer, Nadal, and Novak when all is said and done will be an intriguing one.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2021, 11:01:23 AM »
So this happened in stage 1 of the Tour de France….

https://youtu.be/fi7rJfSrW58
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2021, 11:34:48 AM »
Apparently Allezopi-omi! means I'm a fucking douche.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2021, 09:51:22 PM »
So this happened in stage 1 of the Tour de France….

https://youtu.be/fi7rJfSrW58

I mean...what the actual fuck?  Let's pack 150 guys on bikes into a tiny little space and let "fans" stand on the course with signs?  Who runs this event?  The makers of Jackass?

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2021, 12:41:46 AM »
You think a well-known event like the Tour De France that's been around forever would be better prepared to prevent crap like this from happening.

On another note, I just don't understand why there would be incidents at all in marathons where someone random decides to be the largest douche ever and tries to stop a runner from finishing their run.  I know there were some instances in Summer Olympics where that happened.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 12:47:35 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2021, 02:18:06 PM »
You think a well-known event like the Tour De France that's been around forever would be better prepared to prevent crap like this from happening.

On another note, I just don't understand why there would be incidents at all in marathons where someone random decides to be the largest douche ever and tries to stop a runner from finishing their run.  I know there were some instances in Summer Olympics where that happened.

Not quite what you're saying, but I believe it was sometime in the early '70s (possibly the Boston marathon?) where one of the runners took a taxi for part of the course.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2021, 03:25:49 PM »
Check out what I posted in the chat thread.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2021, 11:31:42 AM »

Not quite what you're saying, but I believe it was sometime in the early '70s (possibly the Boston marathon?) where one of the runners took a taxi for part of the course.

Yeah, I'm sure something like that has happened in history.  Fresh Prince of Bel Air made a reference about it when their butler, Geoffrey, was a marathon runner prior to his job and yeah, he cheated via getting into a taxi for part of the course.

Fresh Prince: Geoffrey's Big Secret (Shame of A Nation video)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2021, 01:26:28 PM »

Yeah, I'm sure something like that has happened in history.  Fresh Prince of Bel Air made a reference about it when their butler, Geoffrey, was a marathon runner prior to his job and yeah, he cheated via getting into a taxi for part of the course.

Fresh Prince: Geoffrey's Big Secret (Shame of A Nation video)

Here's the one I was thinking about (although no taxi was involved):  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_Ruiz