Author Topic: Your Concerts for 2021 (crosses fingers)  (Read 18386 times)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
Re: Your Concerts for 2021 (crosses fingers)
« Reply #245 on: August 31, 2021, 07:32:20 PM »
Seeing King Crimson in Washington D.C. on 9/11
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 04:00:54 PM by Metropolaris »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: August 31, 2021, 07:53:47 PM »
It's on stubhub already, if you want it and its not sold, it's yours for face value whenever you decide.  :tup

well, it literally just sold  ??? sorry, I feel bad for offering it tonight now since I listed it last week and figured it would eventually go but not at that price.  Wow.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #247 on: August 31, 2021, 08:41:09 PM »
It's on stubhub already, if you want it and its not sold, it's yours for face value whenever you decide.  :tup

well, it literally just sold  ??? sorry, I feel bad for offering it tonight now since I listed it last week and figured it would eventually go but not at that price.  Wow.

No worries.  There should be plenty of other opportunities to see Wolfie in LA.  Good for you though for selling at that price.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #248 on: September 01, 2021, 08:19:44 AM »
Hmmmm.  I may consider seeing Mammoth WVH at the Whiskey.  Just give me about a week.  If you haven't heard anything from me before 09/07, just relist the ticket.

Haven't heard Wolfgang's stuff yet, but I'm sure it's something I like.  Plus his backup band composed of guys that's from either the Tremonti solo band or the Slash solo band, so I should be all over that.

I really dig that Wolfie record.  Don't expect Van Halen, but it's really solid.   Probably my second best record of 2021 (behind NMB).  Of course, that's pending the Maiden and DT coming out soon.  :)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: September 01, 2021, 08:23:49 AM »

No worries.  There should be plenty of other opportunities to see Wolfie in LA.  Good for you though for selling at that price.

It's almost like someone saw my post here and scooped it up.  Timing was impeccable, but yeah, I can't believe someone paid that much.  Should be a special show though, I really wish I could have gone.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: September 01, 2021, 08:27:54 AM »
Well, that's the thing; your concert buddy has to be in tune.   My friend Jim - who you've met, Marc - is like me.  Let's do it, and if the worst thing is we go home, we can always stop for a beer on the way.   He's good like that.   One of my friends from high school... I stopped going with him (and I don't go to many shows with my wife) because if they don't have "ticket in hand" when they leave the house, it's like showing up to the airport without your ticket or passport.   :tdwn
Hell, I flew to Cali to catch a show in San Bernardino on the assumption that I'd just give some guy in the parking lot $50 for a ticket. Done that in Denver, too. Never any problems. In fact, the times when I/we've just gone to a show just assuming it'll work itself out have either been bargains, or unbelievable bargains. The show in Colorado we scored 3 tickets to see Maiden for $15 total (we actually refused to take the $5 in change from the twenty we gave him). Had some guy offer us front row for an Ian Anderson gig for just under face value less the fees while we were walking to the window. One was a hot Texas day and the other was a rainy Colorado day.  :lol  Honestly, I see it as an opportunity, rather than a risk.

As do I. 

I had a guy do that for me for Slash at Foxwoods; he had a ticket that he had to dump.  I told him I had no cash only debit, and he said "here's my address, send me a check.  I trust you."   (I did send the money).    One of the Kiss shows after the reunion, outside of New Haven Coliseum, kid was offering 4th row center, and when I said "how much?" a third guy (who I SWEAR I did not know) walked up and just held out his badge and didn't say a word (at the time you could resell tickets but not for more than like $2 over face value or some shit like that).  Kid was quick and said "face value" and I took it.   Cop said "smart move!" and walked away.  I felt a little like a dick - like I said that was not a setup; I never saw that cop before in my life - and thought about offering the kid another $20 (what I would have paid) but he ran and I said fuck it and went in and saw the show (second best Kiss show I've ever seen). 

I may do that for the upcoming Kiss show (I want to see them one more time).  Walk the parking lot and see what I can do.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: September 01, 2021, 08:28:52 AM »

It's almost like someone saw my post here and scooped it up.  Timing was impeccable, but yeah, I can't believe someone paid that much.  Should be a special show though, I really wish I could have gone.

Wow, I just scored a ticket to see Wolfie at the WHISKEY!  Can you BELIEVE IT!?!

Haha, kidding. Not me (though I think $195 is cheap for that experience). 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: September 01, 2021, 08:34:09 AM »

Wow, I just scored a ticket to see Wolfie at the WHISKEY!  Can you BELIEVE IT!?!

After fees, probably closer to $230 and considering I paid $27, I don't think it's cheap at all.  I do however think $27 was wayyy to low of a price for the ticket.  I'd put ~$100 as the max price for me and it's only so high because of the venue and being advertised as his home town gig.  There's no opener, so maybe there's a chance of a longer set or some surprises (don't expect him to play any VH though  :lol )

In other news... just waiting to see an announcement if Alanis Morrissette / Garbage is going to happen tonight.  I don't see how with all this rain, but who knows.  I hope they postpone it personally. An outright cancel would suck, but going through with this tonight would also suck.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #253 on: September 01, 2021, 08:36:49 AM »
Wait wait wait...$200 for Wolfgang Van Halen??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: September 01, 2021, 08:50:20 AM »

After fees, probably closer to $230 and considering I paid $27, I don't think it's cheap at all.  I do however think $27 was wayyy to low of a price for the ticket.  I'd put ~$100 as the max price for me and it's only so high because of the venue and being advertised as his home town gig.  There's no opener, so maybe there's a chance of a longer set or some surprises (don't expect him to play any VH though  :lol )

In other news... just waiting to see an announcement if Alanis Morrissette / Garbage is going to happen tonight.  I don't see how with all this rain, but who knows.  I hope they postpone it personally. An outright cancel would suck, but going through with this tonight would also suck.

Well, I wouldn't pay $200 for Wolfie generally, but I was thinking seeing a Van Halen at the Whiskey specially (it only holds like 500 people) would be a treat.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: September 01, 2021, 09:01:59 AM »
Wait wait wait...$200 for Wolfgang Van Halen??

https://www.stubhub.com/mammoth-wvh-west-hollywood-tickets-10-12-2021/event/104946486/

Like I said, it was $27 (including fees) for face value, so the $200+ is from demand.  And like Stadler mentioned, I believe it's only so high because of venue.  If I look at the other Wolfie headline shows, they are all around $30.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: September 01, 2021, 02:37:55 PM »
Womp womp, tonight's Alanis Morrissette and Garbage concert is cancelled due to weather.  It's the right call, but it sucks it that it's cancelled and not postponed.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #257 on: September 02, 2021, 04:00:23 PM »
Just bought a ticket to Floor Jansen's solo show. I saw this show just prior to covid and it was fantastic. The final shows of her tour were postponed. Apparently this show will be a video recording, which is great to hear. 8 minutes from my home as well, so it is convenient.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: September 02, 2021, 04:48:32 PM »
Just bought a ticket to Floor Jansen's solo show. I saw this show just prior to covid and it was fantastic. The final shows of her tour were postponed. Apparently this show will be a video recording, which is great to hear. 8 minutes from my home as well, so it is convenient.

That's awesome

Tomorrow night is Avatar at Irving Plaza in NYC.  Nice to see a swedish band make it into the US and be able to play (the tour started last night).  What may be interesting to the DTF community is Mike Portnoy's son's band Tallah is the opener.  I think MP is in CA recording the new Winery Dogs so I don't expect him to be there, but I wonder if the rest of the Portnoy family will be.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #259 on: September 02, 2021, 04:57:42 PM »
Tonight is BTBAM in LA, bought this ticket january 2020 so I'm stoked to finally be seeing this show  :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: September 03, 2021, 05:59:45 AM »
Saw Incubus in the Raleigh last night at the red hat amphitheater. The show was the best incubus show I've seen, solid playlist but they all were completely on top of their game.

They moved the show to the outdoor venue from the Ritz due to covid and it was a fantastic move. The weather was beautiful and I was maybe 10feet from the stage. Everyone was just standing and vibing. First concert in 2 years, can't wait to see candlebox next.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: September 03, 2021, 06:55:41 AM »

That's awesome

Tomorrow night is Avatar at Irving Plaza in NYC.  Nice to see a swedish band make it into the US and be able to play (the tour started last night).  What may be interesting to the DTF community is Mike Portnoy's son's band Tallah is the opener.  I think MP is in CA recording the new Winery Dogs so I don't expect him to be there, but I wonder if the rest of the Portnoy family will be.

Part of me wants to see Tallah, kind of in the same way you see a plane crash or car accident, and part of me doesn't want to encourage them in any way, shape or form.  :)

My friend and I decided we're going to check out Steel Panther in a couple weeks.   Looking forward to that.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: September 03, 2021, 08:18:27 AM »

That's awesome

Part of me wants to see Tallah, kind of in the same way you see a plane crash or car accident, and part of me doesn't want to encourage them in any way, shape or form.  :)

My friend and I decided we're going to check out Steel Panther in a couple weeks.   Looking forward to that.

Listening to them for the first time now.... I'm not sure what to think.  Is this nu metal?

Saw Incubus in the Raleigh last night at the red hat amphitheater. The show was the best incubus show I've seen, solid playlist but they all were completely on top of their game.

They moved the show to the outdoor venue from the Ritz due to covid and it was a fantastic move. The weather was beautiful and I was maybe 10feet from the stage. Everyone was just standing and vibing. First concert in 2 years, can't wait to see candlebox next.

Nice! Incubus is always good live.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #263 on: September 03, 2021, 10:55:31 AM »

That's awesome

Max is NOT doing this tour with Tallah. Be advised.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: September 03, 2021, 11:13:34 AM »

That's awesome

Oh, well, not like that's why I was going, but that sucks.  That was actually a reason to catch the opener.  Do you know why?

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #265 on: September 04, 2021, 03:49:17 PM »

That's awesome

Oh, well, not like that's why I was going, but that sucks.  That was actually a reason to catch the opener.  Do you know why?

No idea, just said "pending personal issue" but MP tweeted out Tallah and wished them well, so hopefully nothing serious. Max seems like a REALLY GOOD kid.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #266 on: September 05, 2021, 07:19:21 PM »
I'm contemplating see Brad Paisley in FivePoint Amphitheater in October.  It's on a Saturday.  Tickets on Stubhub are cheap for the higher rows for the center nosebleed sections of the Amphitheater.  I don't mind listening to country if the act has good musicians.  I've seen Zac Brown Band in the same venue in 2019 and they were awesome.  I'll give it more thought once I listen to a few songs of his.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: September 05, 2021, 08:00:27 PM »
If you like seeing brilliant guitar players live then do not miss out on Brad Paisley. I was never a fan of country but after seeing him at UF where I worked my thoughts on him changed completely. The guy can fucking shred with the best of them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: September 06, 2021, 02:11:31 PM »
If you like seeing brilliant guitar players live then do not miss out on Brad Paisley. I was never a fan of country but after seeing him at UF where I worked my thoughts on him changed completely. The guy can fucking shred with the best of them.
:tup :tup

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #269 on: September 06, 2021, 04:06:21 PM »
Seeing Jordan's solo piano tour in LA tonight, cant wait!  :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: September 06, 2021, 04:53:46 PM »
Glad I caught Incubus when I did, I saw they postponed two shows.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: September 07, 2021, 09:55:13 AM »
That was a good concert weekend!

Friday I went to my first small indoor show in a long time.  AND it was the first time seeing an international band in the US in awhile.  Avatar brought their Going Hunting tour to Irving Plaza in NYC with openers Magic Sword and Tallah. 

So my biggest issue with the concert was the venue seemed unprepared.  The tickets and website all said doors at 6:30, but they didn't open until after 7PM.  Tallah didn't start until 8pm.  So for people like myself who got there on time, had quite a long wait until the music started.  It's not like we are talking about filling up an arena here either.  This is a 1k capacity GA floor.  I don't see any reason why the show started so late unless the bands arrived late (doubt it, they performed pretty close the night before).  They redid the venue, it looked mostly the same just cleaner and re-organized the balcony.  It seemed like the balcony was a money grab with a lady outside and inside the venue offering people to ability to upgrade for ~$50 more.  I already bought a balcony ticket, but apparantly I needed to pay more or just only have access to the corner of the balcony without a view  :facepalm: oh and my ticket said it came with a show poster but that was not the case in reality and after complaining to 3 different people including the manager, they flat out said there was nothing they could do.  I'll never buy a prefered balcony ticket again from that venue.  Oh, and this was supposed to be a proof of vax or negative test for entry concert, they didn't check me AT ALL. 

As to the bands, Tallah were... interesting.  I don't really know what else to say.  The music seemed all over the place and the band was pretty energetic.  The singer seemed like he was mentally unstable.  I guess it was all part of the show, but I was entertained, but more so from the oddity of the set and not so much because I enjoyed the music.  I do have to give props to the singer.  After the set, he went over to the merch and was selling the items himself and just being friendly (without talking, maybe part of his gig was he couldn't talk??) but he was taking pictures and generally working his butt off. 

Magic Sword were not my thing.  Instrumental metal, kind of synth wave as well.  Not bad music, but really not something I totally enjoy.  They were these masks and costumes so you couldn't see who they were.  From talking to people, it seemed most would have rather this band swapped spots with Tallah.  I think I agree, Tallah were more interesting. 

Avatar was really good.  They have such a great light show, everything just looks great.  The opening of them playing right on the front of the stage with a smaller drum set and basically not moving during the first song looked really awesome.  2nd song and they just started going wild.  This singer is so incredible live.  He really puts 110% into putting on a great show.  Super energetic, his screams were on point, the make up and outfits just look incredible.  The new songs sounded tight.  My only negative was the show was going still at 11:30ish and I had to get out of there to catch a train. 

Avatar Magic Sword Tallah Going Hunting Tour LIVE Irving Plaza NYC 2021

Then Sunday things got switched up as I headed south to the Jersey shore for a sold out out door concert near the beach for yearly Stoked for the Summer concert at the Stone Pony which is always headlined by the local punk band The Bouncing Souls.  This was my first time seeing this show after all these years, they had a really solid supporting line up that interested me.  It's funny how much I disliked Irving Plaza (when I used to like the venue) to how I actually didn't hate the Stone Pony when I previously thought it was my most hated venue.  It looked like they had new staff there who totally didn't ruin anyone's time of having fun.  No more security pushing people through the pit to make sure no one was moshing or no one was smoking.  Its a 5k capacity open pit, it's really no fun to have it policed that way and I was pleasantly surprised to not see once incident with security flexing their muscles.

FIrst band was Soul Glo who I thought was terrible.  It's like they never performed before either, in between songs just complaining over the mic about the sound without actually engaging the audience.  Then it seemed like they got kicked off stage a bit early. Or mayeb they just started late, but the end of their set seemed abrupt and they seemed pissed, but honestly, they SUCKED.  Worst band I've seen in awhile.

Then came Suicide Machines.  I saw them a couple months ago when the summer first started.  This was a bigger show for them, much more people this time around.  They played a shorter set though which sucked, but they sounded good and were a lot of fun.  Maybe it's because of who went on first, but it was like night and day between performances.  Sadly, this is when it started to rain a lot though.  And since the place started filling up, getting cover from the rain became difficult.  Going into the show, I thought this might be my favorite set of the day, but I was wrong...

Next came New York Hardcore legends, Sick of it All! I hadn't seen them since AFI opened for them around ~2001 when I was a kid.  I was so shocked how good they were.  I hadn't listened to them since maybe that concert, so I didn't really know their songs anymore, but they just sounded so tight.  The singer's vocals were SO good.  I don't usually say that for such hardcore vocals, but this guy had some power and a command of the stage.  Also had a HUGE mosh pit and a wall of death. 

Up came what I figured would be my least favorite set going in, The Menzingers.  I saw them a couple years ago at Warped Tour and just couldn't get into them.  I still don't think I care too much for their music, but the set ended up being a lot of fun.  The crowd was really wild for them and so many people singing along.  It was just fun to be in that sea of people having fun. The rain also finally stopped and it got dark so it felt like things were setting up perfectly for the headliner.

I've seen Bouncing Souls a few times before, but this was definitely the best set I've seen of them.  ~25 songs, a little acoustic part in the middle of the set with a violinist/cello that spread some really chill vibes.  Mosh pit was on point.  The band sounded consistently good.  All these old songs came back to me as if I never stopped listening to them (and I basically did for the last 15 years). So many good sing along songs.  Memories of high school all coming back.  What a fantastic set and show overall.  By this time I was actually dry too!

Bouncing Souls Stoked For Summer 2021 LIVE @ Stone Pony Asbury Park NJ

sorry for the long write up  :biggrin:

Tomorrow night is Unleash the Archers in NYC! I see they finally made it into the US last night so it seems like the show should happen  :metal  then Friday is Maroon 5 back at my hometown venue  :corn

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: September 07, 2021, 10:16:58 AM »

As to the bands, Tallah were... interesting.  I don't really know what else to say.  The music seemed all over the place and the band was pretty energetic.  The singer seemed like he was mentally unstable.  I guess it was all part of the show, but I was entertained, but more so from the oddity of the set and not so much because I enjoyed the music.  I do have to give props to the singer.  After the set, he went over to the merch and was selling the items himself and just being friendly (without talking, maybe part of his gig was he couldn't talk??) but he was taking pictures and generally working his butt off.

I can't say I've spent THAT much time with Tallah, but what I've seen I'm not impressed at all, and much of my criticisms are along the lines of what you're saying.  There's nothing credible or convincing about that singer; I used to check out his tweets periodically and it just seemed so... calculated.   Like "hey look how wierd and different and crazy I am!" and that's just not my scene, frankly.   I get artists that don't necessarily walk the center of the road and spend time on the shoulders, but this just seems to be too much "Hey!  Look at ME!"   No thanks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: September 07, 2021, 10:24:35 AM »

I can't say I've spent THAT much time with Tallah, but what I've seen I'm not impressed at all, and much of my criticisms are along the lines of what you're saying.  There's nothing credible or convincing about that singer; I used to check out his tweets periodically and it just seemed so... calculated.   Like "hey look how wierd and different and crazy I am!" and that's just not my scene, frankly.   I get artists that don't necessarily walk the center of the road and spend time on the shoulders, but this just seems to be too much "Hey!  Look at ME!"   No thanks.

He seemed genuine to me, even commented on my video of Tallah with some really interesting insights:

Hey, thanks so much for uploading this!! We really enjoy it when fans film our sets. Phone quality or not, it is a godsend to be able to see/hear how we did, that way we can look for improvements and make the next show even better!
Stay hungry, my friend!
-Justin

While they may not be my musical taste, nothing about them rubbed off as fake or calculated.  Came off as someone with a chip on their shoulder honestly.  Maybe if you saw him working the merch (I literally watched for 15 minutes) you wouldn't feel that way. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: September 07, 2021, 10:44:38 AM »
That's probably true.  My impression is mostly from a handful of videos and a lot of dumb "quippy" tweets, which I know full well isn't always the measure of a man.   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: September 07, 2021, 11:41:26 AM »
That's probably true.  My impression is mostly from a handful of videos and a lot of dumb "quippy" tweets, which I know full well isn't always the measure of a man.

I don't really follow them so I don't have any examples to compare, but I wonder how much that is part of their gig.  As in, it seems like they are one of these bands like a Slipknot who present themselves a certain way as part of the art of the band, but it's nothing to do with who they are as people. Since I believe Tallah are considered Nu metal and they are touring with Avatar (a band who uses lots of make up, but having met them I know they are just normal dudes) it seems entirely possible it's all part of the persona.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: September 09, 2021, 03:50:38 PM »
Some concert plan changes for me.  Going to drop the Breaking Benjamin concert Sunday night but go to Sevendust / Tremonti tonight.  Not really due to my music tastes, just things popping up and logistics. 

In other news, Unleash the Archers were AMAZING last night.  I'll probably type of a larger review in that thread when I get a chance. But it's probably up there as one of my favorite concerts so far in 2021  :metal

Tremonti goes on in 70 minutes, so time to get ready  :yarr
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 03:58:06 PM by cramx3 »

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #277 on: September 09, 2021, 03:56:13 PM »
WAHHHHHHH.  As much as I like Daughtry, I want to see Tremonti play for 60 minutes instead of like 30-40 minutes that they are going to get opening for Daughtry and Sevendust in LA.  Enjoy the show though. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: September 09, 2021, 03:58:45 PM »
WAHHHHHHH.  As much as I like Daughtry, I want to see Tremonti play for 60 minutes instead of like 30-40 minutes that they are going to get opening for Daughtry and Sevendust in LA.  Enjoy the show though.

Ah that sucks, yeah the venue tweeted Tremonti from 7-8, Sevendust form 8:30-10pm tonight.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #279 on: September 11, 2021, 12:34:39 PM »
All right, I've pulled the trigger on getting the ticket to see Brad Paisley at FivePoint Amphitheater in October.  There was a seat going for $20.00 on Stubhub for a upper section that has a center view.  Downside is that it's on row 41, but it should be ok.  There should be generally no bad view in that section anyway.  I'm pleased. 

So, here's my ongoing list.  I'm skipping on seeing Needtobreathe and Switchfoot, this Thursday.  Not in the mood to head out on a Thursday to LA.

Brad Paisley - FivePoint Amphitheater in Irvine, CA - October 9th 2021
Dream Theater - Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, CA - October 30th, 2021
Daughtry with Sevendust, Tremonti, and Travis Bracht - The Novo in Los Angeles, CA - December 6th, 2021

Edit: A day later, on a side note, Korn and Staind is playing at FivePoint today and first band goes out in 10 minutes.  There's a GA Pit ticket for like $70.00.  Good value for a GA pit ticket at this venue although those that buy it now may end up in the far back of the section.  Downside, you got to buy two of those at $70.00 each.  May not find a ticket below $40.00 that I like to consider going last miunte.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 07:48:50 PM by Anguyen92 »