Author Topic: 3 Albums For Life.  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: 3 Albums For Life.
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2022, 07:49:41 AM »
I kinda agree with the idea that no album is good enough that if you only have 3 albums you wouldn't get bored of it at some point.

But if I approach this with the mentality of just picking my favorite album by my 3 favorite bands then I'd land on:

1. Phish - A Picture of Nectar
2. Cardiacs - Sing to God
3. Oceansize - Frames

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2022, 08:03:58 AM »
If greatest hits and bootlegs are allowed....
The Beatles 'Red' 62-66
The Beatles 'Blue' 67-70
Queen, Providence '78.  I saw them three days earlier in Kalamazoo (still my all time favorite concert), and this is by far the best audience recording of the band.

If they aren't allowed...
Dream Theater - Score
Queen - A Night at the Opera
The Beatles - Abbey Road
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2022, 10:31:14 AM »
Led Zeppelin - Houses Of the Holy

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Jethro Tull - Thick As a Brick  (it was between this and Yes - Close To the Edge)

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2022, 10:50:38 AM »
my rateyourmusic page has 55 studio albums rated 5 out of 5 stars.

I consider these as my top 3.

Marillion - Brave
Kevin Gilbert - The Shaming of the True
Apes & Androids - Blood Moon
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 08:24:46 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Kram

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2022, 11:58:06 AM »
Very very difficult.  Off the top of my head -

Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory (Favorite album of all time)
Rush - Exist Stage Left (Has the best selection of songs from my favorite era)
Big Big Train - English Electric Full Power (my current favorite and most listened to album)

It pains me to not have anything from Neal Morse or Opeth though LOL

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2022, 12:10:18 PM »
Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
The Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
IV - Led Zeppelin
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2022, 12:13:41 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2022, 12:22:55 PM »
I kinda agree with the idea that no album is good enough that if you only have 3 albums you wouldn't get bored of it at some point.

But if I approach this with the mentality of just picking my favorite album by my 3 favorite bands then I'd land on:

3. Oceansize - Frames

Frames is such a flawless piece of music!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2022, 02:47:52 PM »
Can’t do it.

I know that my top two favourite albums ever are Images & Words and Operation:Mindcrime but I honestly don’t know that I’d take even those two albums! 

Bon Jovi, Queen, Guns N’ Roses and Dire Straits were all huge parts of my life growing up.  Then there’s bands like Opeth, Radiohead, Tool, Spock’s Beard (plus offshoots like NM, NMB, Transatlantic), Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree.

Even though I haven’t listened to it in forever, I’d probably choose Live Scenes From New York just because it has most of my favourite DT songs. 

I’d have to take a Bon Jovi album just because I was obsessed with them from the age of 10 up to about the age of 20 so their music is just ingrained in me.  Part of me would want to take Slippery When Wet as Wanted Dead Or Alive is my favourite song ever, another part of me would want to take Keep The Faith as I love a number of songs on that.  I’d probably go with New Jersey though as I can listen to that from start to finish and never skip a track.

After that I really don’t know.  Alchemy by Dire Straits is a really good shout, obviously Mindcrime is a favourite. In Absentia, Hand Cannot Erase, Blackwater Park, Opeth live at the Albert Hall. Spock’s V or Snow, TA SMPTe or Bridge Across Forever. Appetite For Destruction, there’s too much to choose from.

That's exactly what I was going for here. Dig deep in this hypothetical situation and cover all the bases in 3 albums. Its not about new stuff that you're currently digging. The albums I named would suffice, it doesn't reflect all the other albums I treasure and would miss. Dig deep.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2022, 04:30:16 PM »
no three albums are that good to not eventually bore you after the gazillionth time.

that's always going to me my problem with questions like these. It's impossible to answer and rather pointless as well, because you would never be put in such a situation. It make a nice discussion topic I suppose.

Yeah, this sort of thread is always fascinating to work out your own answer and to see those of others.  There are so many different strategies, and in different eras of my life I'd probably have chosen different ones.  One is the runtime maximization strategy, where you pick box-sets, double and triple albums and such.  Another is the hits strategy, where you choose best ofs and/or live albums.  Another is the compilation or variety strategy, where you either pick various artist compilations or artists that are larger ensembles or highly multifaceted individuals who've covered a broad swathe of styles on a single album.  There's the favorite album strategy, where you just figure out what your favorite three albums are and select those.

This time I just choose the "pick three niches you love strategy", historical and present, and the best representative of each.  Ideally I'd have something more electronic, and at least something happier for a change, but with only three albums there's not much wiggle room, and I like melancholic music too much.  Maybe I could have swapped out Chelsea for something like Bjork's greatest hits and touched on both more, but eh, I've been on a Wolfe high again that I've been riding a lot for the last few months.  Somewhere maybe a decade ago there was a desert island disc thread, where you had 80 minutes to maximize the only music you'd have indefinitely, and that was fun to design as a compilation. 

Offline WardySI

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2022, 05:21:13 PM »
The Angels HOWLING
Always reliable...

Queensryche EMPIRE
Captures both their 80's and 90's eras...

Iron Maiden SENJUTSU
Expect some heat from this but initially went for 7thSON and BNW or a Bruce solo, but figured this might tick both the something fresh AND the Maiden box...!?

Also hate the idea of only 3, my music revolves around lists of 5 no less but anyway was couple minutes fun  :lol

« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 05:31:20 PM by WardySI »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2022, 05:42:23 PM »
Greatest hits and bootlegs allowed. 2 of mine are live albums which can be a greatest hits to some. Box sets have too many loopholes because it can be the Zeppelin box set which has unreleased and live stuff which is fine but some box sets include a bands discog or partial discog like Testament original album series with their first 5 albums, that I own.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2022, 07:53:26 PM »
Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
The Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
IV - Led Zeppelin

I don’t know if I can decide on three. But I know that your three choices are packed with songs I’ve heard a million times, but never get tired of. That’s a win.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2022, 06:02:13 AM »
Can’t do it.

I know that my top two favourite albums ever are Images & Words and Operation:Mindcrime but I honestly don’t know that I’d take even those two albums! 

Bon Jovi, Queen, Guns N’ Roses and Dire Straits were all huge parts of my life growing up.  Then there’s bands like Opeth, Radiohead, Tool, Spock’s Beard (plus offshoots like NM, NMB, Transatlantic), Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree.

Even though I haven’t listened to it in forever, I’d probably choose Live Scenes From New York just because it has most of my favourite DT songs. 

I’d have to take a Bon Jovi album just because I was obsessed with them from the age of 10 up to about the age of 20 so their music is just ingrained in me.  Part of me would want to take Slippery When Wet as Wanted Dead Or Alive is my favourite song ever, another part of me would want to take Keep The Faith as I love a number of songs on that.  I’d probably go with New Jersey though as I can listen to that from start to finish and never skip a track.

After that I really don’t know.  Alchemy by Dire Straits is a really good shout, obviously Mindcrime is a favourite. In Absentia, Hand Cannot Erase, Blackwater Park, Opeth live at the Albert Hall. Spock’s V or Snow, TA SMPTe or Bridge Across Forever. Appetite For Destruction, there’s too much to choose from.

This is me, even if the artists are different (for example, instead of Bon Jovi, Billy Joel).   

I'd probably do something like...

1. Billy Joel's Greatest Hits
2. Kiss - Alive!
3. Yes - Going For The One

But knowing I would never hear Ritchie Blackmore's guitar again, or Tony Banks' keyboards... that's unacceptable!   :)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2022, 11:41:02 AM »
Gosh, this is hard, indeed...

Going with my heart, without thinking too too much:

Dream Theater - Images and Words
Rush - Moving Pictures
Metallica - Master of Puppets

Offline HOF

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2022, 12:24:54 PM »
I’ve given this some thought since the OP popped up the other day. I could go for length, I could go for diversity, but I think I’d just maximize the music that I don’t think I’d ever get tired of hearing. I might just grab the first three albums from The Blue Nile.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2022, 01:11:04 PM »

3. Oceansize - Frames

uhh, I should have picked Sing to God as well :facepalm:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2022, 01:50:10 PM »
cool thread.. I like to read this site and miss you all.
peace and love, wishing all my friends a happy and healthy new year also!!
Keep posting!!
EV
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2022, 02:00:14 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 12:09:22 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2022, 02:13:07 PM »
I'm partial to Sigh of Ages from Roach, but he's released so much over the years.