Author Topic: Who do you consider "irreplaceable" musicians?  (Read 3876 times)

Online MirrorMask

Who do you consider "irreplaceable" musicians?
« on: May 07, 2021, 09:29:15 AM »
Thought it might be an interesting idea for a thread.

Lineup changes, Mark I, Mark II, this lineup was better, that one was worse, the reunions.... we've all been there with our favorite bands. Musicians and singers get replaced all the time. Is there however a musician or singer that you feel is, de facto, irreplaceable?

I don't mean it literally. ANYONE can be replaced, that's a given. There's no shortage of musicians and you'll always find someone who can play like someone else or sing like someone else, and in the case of singing, do it even better if they're young. But, is there someone who you think that, for whatever reason, is irreplaceable in the sense that nothing and no one else would feel "right" after him / her, making said band member "irreplaceable" even if there's always someone out there who could play or sing?

I think potentially more interesting answers might avoid the most obvious choices. Steve Harris can't be replaced in Iron Maiden and John Petrucci can't be replaced in DT, well, d'uh. Maybe our attention should be on musicians that are not the absolute leaders and main songwriters of their own band, but that still give you the idea that there's no way a band could be considered the same without them, to the point that their absence would be a complete and definitive paradigm shift impossible to recover from.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Who do you consider "irreplaceable" musicians?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 09:30:13 AM »
Prince

Offline HOF

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 09:33:02 AM »
Robert Fripp is the first one to come to mind, but if you want guys who aren't obvious band leaders, I'll say Steve Rothery and Pete Trewavas would be very hard to replace in Marillion.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 09:36:47 AM »
Troy Sanders of Mastodon.

His vocals are so unique and huge part of the band's sound that if he left, the entire identity of the band changes, even if Brann and Brent take on all the vocals.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Mladen

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 09:37:21 AM »
I do not think anyone is irreplacable, it just depends on the circumstances.

Lets go to an alternate reality, a morbid one for that matter. Lets say the touring is still going on. God forbid, but imagine Steve Harris, the mastermind of Iron Maiden, passes away. Lets imagine the rest of the band finds another bass player for one last tour, in honor of Steve Harris.

I could see it happen. Not that I'd like it to happen, no. Certainly not. But if it were to happen, it would show Steve is replacable. Maybe for one last tour, but still. Theoretically and depending on the circumstances, he's replacable.

Offline HOF

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 09:43:23 AM »
A couple more:

Neal Schon in Journey (arguably he's the Robert Fripp of Journey I guess. Perry wasn't really replaceable either though).
Tony Banks in Genesis (the band carried on without Gabriel or Hackett, but would they have been able to without Banks?)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 09:44:52 AM »
Troy Sanders of Mastodon.

His vocals are so unique and huge part of the band's sound that if he left, the entire identity of the band changes, even if Brann and Brent take on all the vocals.

I think Mastodon are a great example of a band where I would lose interest in the band if ANY of them left/were replaced. They all bring something special and I can't live in a world without that lineup.

I feel like all I've talked about on DTF recently is Metallica, but obviously James is irreplaceable.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 09:50:22 AM »
This list is way shorter than I think many think.  If Mike Portnoy is replaceable in Dream Theater, or David Lee Roth is replaceable in Van Halen, or Fish in Marillion, then anyone is, basically.

I think though, there are 'essences' that can't readily be duplicated.

- Yes is significantly different without Chris Squire.  I like Billy Sherwood, but Chris Squire was the pulse of that band for me.
- Neal Peart, goes without saying.
- Ed Van Halen, goes without saying.
- I'm not interested in Iron Maiden without Steve Harris. I've weathered the band without Bruce, I would grudgingly accept it without Dave Murray (my favorite member) but I'm not interested in it without Harris' running of the ship.
- Not interested in a UFO without Phil Mogg.
- Not interested in a Aerosmith without Steven Tyler.

As for "irreplaceable", as in the band cannot exist?  I think it's really a small list:
- Ed Van Halen, goes without saying.
- There's no Beatles without Lennon AND McCartney.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 09:55:08 AM »
Alex Lifeson is irreplaceable in Rush.
Steve Harris is irreplaceable in Iron Maiden.
Tony Iommi is irreplaceable in Black Sabbath.
Ian Paice is irreplaceable in Deep Purple.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 09:59:21 AM »
James Hetfield.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 09:59:33 AM »
EVH
Prince
Tony Banks
Phil Collins (as a drummer)
modern day (MM era) DT
Stevie Wonder
Frank Zappa
Steve Vai
anyone in Sade
Jeff Porcaro (as is Vinnie Colaiuta and Simon Phillips, both with Toto and otherwise)
Steve Smith (the albums without him on it? No.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 10:01:17 AM »
It's basically all those bands where one person is the band. So

Dave Mustaine
Mikael Akerfeldt
Anything Devin Townsend is involved in
Chuck Schuldiner

Etc.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 10:44:38 AM »
James Hetfield.

I feel like James Hetfield is 70% Metallica and their sound.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 11:29:41 AM »

Dave Mustaine
Mikael Akerfeldt
Chuck Schuldiner

Etc.

makes sense.

Jimmy Gnecco
Casey Crescenzo
Jeff Lynne
Jessy Ribordy
Daniel Gildenlow
Brent Knopf
Ian Anderson
Dan Moxon
Colin Meloy
Jon Oliva
Ben Cooper
Toby Driver
Daniel Johns
Craig Minowa
Mike Patton
Claudio Sanchez
Daniel Victor
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 01:53:33 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 11:34:09 AM »
Phil Lynott

Lexxi Foxx  : )
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 11:49:16 AM »
Definitely agree with Hetfield.  No Hetfield no Metallica.

It's hard to see how Dream Theater would carry on without John Petrucci. 

Aerosmith would probably be done without Steven Tyler, although you never know since a lot of those classic bands have found ways to tour with new vocalists.  Foreigner, Kansas, Journey and Styx have all managed to carry on after losing either their lead vocalist or one of their lead vocalists in the case of Styx.

I don't see how the Rolling Stones could exist without Mick Jagger

Iron Maiden was an abomination without Bruce Dickinson.  I know some people like Blaze Bayley and honestly I did some of his solo music but those two albums with Maiden are mediocre at best.  Of course Dickinson sounded like shit through the early part of the 90's so Bayley was -in some respects- an improvement.  I just think after so many albums with Dickinson he was "the voice" of Iron Maiden.  The reunion albums have been great. 

The jury is still out on Redemption without Ray Alder.  I do like the album they've made with Tom Englund and I hope they keep going, but I very strongly prefer Ray. 

Speaking of Ray Alder I think it would also be hard to replace him in Fates Warning at this point he's kind of baked in to their signature sound. 

Could Transatlantic exist without Neal Morse?  I doubt it. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 12:03:17 PM »
Kurt Cobain
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 12:08:21 PM »
I mean Evergrey without Tom is not Evergrey anymore so it wouldn't be much sense replacing him.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 12:36:02 PM »
Musicians who write songs will always be more irreplaceable than musicians who do not, so I could never pick anyone in this category who is not a prolific songwriter (whether it is on their own or part of the group dynamic).

For example, many would argue that all four members of The Who's classic lineup were irreplaceable, but since Townshend wrote like 95% of their songs by himself, that makes (made) him far more irreplaceable than the others.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 12:48:22 PM »

Iron Maiden was an abomination without Bruce Dickinson.  I know some people like Blaze Bayley and honestly I did some of his solo music but those two albums with Maiden are mediocre at best.  Of course Dickinson sounded like shit through the early part of the 90's so Bayley was -in some respects- an improvement.  I just think after so many albums with Dickinson he was "the voice" of Iron Maiden.  The reunion albums have been great. 

You know Iron Maiden had one guy as a frontman prior to Dickinson?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2021, 12:48:40 PM »
Musicians who write songs will always be more irreplaceable than musicians who do not, so I could never pick anyone in this category who is not a prolific songwriter (whether it is on their own or part of the group dynamic).

For example, many would argue that all four members of The Who's classic lineup were irreplaceable, but since Townshend wrote like 95% of their songs by himself, that makes (made) him far more irreplaceable than the others.

Not arguing with you, just making a point that was triggered by your post...

Some of the examples here are provably false.  One can argue that "The Endless Wire" is not of the calibre of "Who's Next", but that record - and several of their tours, most notably the Quadrophenia tour which I saw and which was PHENOMENAL - prove that Entwhistle and Moon are, in fact, replaceable, at least in theory.

There is a Rush without Neal Peart.  Not "THE" Rush, not the Rush we know from Moving Pictures, but it DOES exist.  There is a Yes without Chris Squire.  It is an embarrassment and an abomination (even though I LOVE Billy Sherwood) but it DOES exist.  Hell, we even had an "Allman Brothers" without one of the brothers; and arguably, the Warren Haynes/Dickie Betts version was in some ways superior to that original version and CERTAINLY superior to any of the other, non-Duane versions.  There is a Dead without Jerry, who all regarded as the de facto leader amongst a band of equals.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 12:48:58 PM »

Who?

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 12:49:49 PM »

Dave Mustaine
Mikael Akerfeldt
Chuck Schuldiner

Etc.

Lemmy
Mark Knopfler

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2021, 12:52:51 PM »

Who?

You're kidding, right?

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2021, 12:54:59 PM »

Who?

And do you know that Dickinson was a frontman of one metal band before Iron Maiden?

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2021, 01:09:40 PM »

Who?

You're kidding, right?

Did YOU know that NOFX wrote an epic punk rock song about it called "Eddie, Bruce and Paul"?

https://youtu.be/0MOEkqoYvXU

Check those lyrics!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2021, 01:31:20 PM »

Nah, dude, Bruce Dickinson used to be called "Paul Di Anno" and he had half the vocal range and 10 times the cocaine habit, but he quit doing cocaine and took up naked yodeling, which changed his voice so that was when he started calling himself "Bruce Dickinson" but also because it's well known he's got a big dick.  "Dickinson" get it? 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2021, 01:32:27 PM »

Who?

:rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2021, 01:35:09 PM »
Robert Fripp is the first one to come to mind,

I don't know. I think anyone could sit in his kitchen while his wife wiggles her 70 y/o tits.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2021, 01:41:08 PM »
Mentioned in the NW thread today, I think Tuomas Holopainen is irreplaceable in NW.

I think JP is irreplaceable in DT

Steve Harris in IM

basically who ever is the heart and brains behind a band and the leader is likely irreplaceable.

Offline HOF

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2021, 02:07:54 PM »
Robert Fripp is the first one to come to mind,

I don't know. I think anyone could sit in his kitchen while his wife wiggles her 70 y/o tits.

Maybe I should have said Toyah.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2021, 03:20:37 PM »

Not arguing with you, just making a point that was triggered by your post...

Some of the examples here are provably false.  One can argue that "The Endless Wire" is not of the calibre of "Who's Next", but that record - and several of their tours, most notably the Quadrophenia tour which I saw and which was PHENOMENAL - prove that Entwhistle and Moon are, in fact, replaceable, at least in theory.

There is a Rush without Neal Peart.  Not "THE" Rush, not the Rush we know from Moving Pictures, but it DOES exist.  There is a Yes without Chris Squire.  It is an embarrassment and an abomination (even though I LOVE Billy Sherwood) but it DOES exist.  Hell, we even had an "Allman Brothers" without one of the brothers; and arguably, the Warren Haynes/Dickie Betts version was in some ways superior to that original version and CERTAINLY superior to any of the other, non-Duane versions.  There is a Dead without Jerry, who all regarded as the de facto leader amongst a band of equals.

I get what you are saying, but of course there is a difference in between physically replaceable and replaceable in the sense that "the band is falling off a cliff because you are not there anymore" or if you are so valuable that it takes hiring multiple new people to do what you did, you could be considered irreplaceable.  For example, Lindsey Buckingham was irreplaceable in Fleetwood Mac to the extent that they had to get two guys to replace him after firing him a couple years ago. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2021, 07:23:47 PM »
To name a less obvious one, Synyster Gates is the entire Avenged Sevenfold sound. His solos and harmonies are arguably the most recognizable guitar parts in modern metal.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2021, 08:16:38 PM »
- Not interested in a Aerosmith without Steven Tyler.
This reminds me that Steven was almost fired 11 or 12 years ago. More recently, Brad Whitford has said in an interview that he doesn't really care about the future of the band. So, kind of sad.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2021, 07:44:26 AM »
John Petrucci is irreplaceable in Dream Theater for me at least.
Freddie Mercury and Brian May are irreplaceable in Queen.  I know they are touring successfully with a new singer but that will never be Queen imo.
Jon Lord and Ritchie Blackmore in Deep Purple.  Again, I know the band has continued but (imo) their music has been pretty awful since they left/died.
Tony Iommi - Black Sabbath
Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora - Bon Jovi (they’re awful without Sambora)
Geddy Lee - Rush
Mark Knopfler - Dire Straits
Axl Rose - GNR
Neal Morse - Spock’s Beard/Transatlantic