Author Topic: Name Something  (Read 8060 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Name Something
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2021, 08:38:19 AM »
Honey Nut Cherrios is my go to cereal nowadays along with Honey Bunches Of Oats.

That commercial with the guy in space is creepy, though.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #176 on: May 10, 2021, 09:22:37 AM »
Here's a hot take for this forum.... going to concerts. I love music. It isn't as big a part of my life as it is for many of you, but it is still meaningful, and has gotten me through some hard times. I just don't get the thrill out of live shows that most everyone here seems to.

That is certainly a hot take, but I can respect someone feeling that way.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2021, 09:26:15 AM »
Here's a hot take for this forum.... going to concerts. I love music. It isn't as big a part of my life as it is for many of you, but it is still meaningful, and has gotten me through some hard times. I just don't get the thrill out of live shows that most everyone here seems to.

I don’t like posting in threads like this, but I’ll show you some support here. I’m not nearly as into live shows (in person, live recordings) as most of DTF. But I totally get why everyone else is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2021, 09:35:53 AM »

My wife and I first starting living together in early February 1994 (she moved out to CA from Brookline, MA).  One of the first things we did after she moved out here was go to see Rush on the Counterparts tour.  She was not really a Rush fan, but she went because we were together.  Later that year, I dutifully went with her (and another couple) to see Tori Amos.  I HATED it.  I think she may even have gone to a DT show with me in December 1994.  Over the next several years, I went to VERY few concerts because she didn't want to go (she was never a big concert person) and because I was in law school.  Starting with Rush on the Vapor Trails tour, we decided it was dumb for her to go to concerts just because I was going, and I'm not sure she's been to any concerts in the last 15 year.  She's not interested in dealing with how loud they mostly are and with the crowds.

I've partially come around to that way of thinking, but it's as much age as anything else.  I went to my first concert in April 1984 (I was 16 1/2).  Of all the concerts I've seen in my life, probably 75% were in the ten years between 1984-94 and only 25% have been in 25+ years since then.  Never say never, but I typically won't go to a concert on a work night, whereas back in the day, I couldn't have cared less.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2021, 10:04:24 AM »
I'm the opposite; I'm seeing more and more shows.  It's relaxing to me, and it's fun.  I also don't mind going by myself, so there's that. 

Just this Saturday, my wife got a thing on Facebook that some dude she went to high school with was playing a local bar in his Deep Purple cover band. Turns out, the guitar player is REALLY good - Jimi Bell; something of a local hero; he played with House Of Lords and now is in Autograph - so I went.  I was by myself (though I know the owner of the place) and went and sat at the bar and watched the band.  Got talking with the dude next to me and a couple that were there and had a great time.  A friend of mine from law school and I go to a lot of shows together (Cram has met him a couple times) but if he's not into it, I'm not necessarily staying home.

Being "alone" has advantages; I can hang if I want.  I met Gary Barden that way, and got on stage with Gene Simmons that way.  It blows to not have someone to share the memory with, but so be it.

I'm also noticing that shows aren't nearly as loud as they used to be.  I don't know if it's regulation, or something else, but while Jimi had a full Marshall stack, the sound was pretty reasonable for a small club (I think the place fits 125 or so for a show like that).   

Offline Harmony

« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2021, 02:03:45 PM »
Canned tuna fish - can't stand it.  MAYBE I'll make a tuna noodle casserole once in a blue moon, but otherwise barf-o-rama.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2021, 02:51:03 PM »
I'm the opposite; I'm seeing more and more shows.  It's relaxing to me, and it's fun.  I also don't mind going by myself, so there's that. 
Obviously I'm the same way. Plus, now I can afford to see good shows at cool places. I'm no longer limited to the same local haunts. That's a big plus.

I'm also noticing that shows aren't nearly as loud as they used to be.  I don't know if it's regulation, or something else, but while Jimi had a full Marshall stack, the sound was pretty reasonable for a small club (I think the place fits 125 or so for a show like that).
They haven't been as loud for quite some time. I'm amused when somebody younger than me says "ah, man, I'd have loved to see that show," because in reality they would have absolutely hated it. Concerts have evolved with the times, and what was great in the 80s would be godawful today. I've seen a few club shows over the last couple of years that have been pretty loud, Saxon most recently, and DT will often play quite loud by modern standards, but it's really nothing like the way things used to be.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: May 10, 2021, 03:15:04 PM »
Canned tuna fish - can't stand it.  MAYBE I'll make a tuna noodle casserole once in a blue moon, but otherwise barf-o-rama.

Do you avoid the concept of tuna salad entirely, or is there an alternative (this is a legit question)?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #183 on: May 10, 2021, 03:37:30 PM »
Of all the concerts I've seen in my life, probably 75% were in the ten years between 1984-94 and only 25% have been in 25+ years since then. 

My concert history is somewhat similar. I went to tons of shows in high school, college, early to mid 20's.. I also went to tons of shows alone as well. My ex wife didn't care if I went. But being honest, I started to feel funny about having to go to shows alone. To make a long story short, she became my ex wife...

I met my current wife 6 months after I moved out, and she is not into going to concerts. And she's even less interested in me going to concerts alone coming home late at night or early morning.

She has come with me to many shows, but over the past 20 years, I really only see my truly favorite bands. Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Alice Cooper, and UFO. If Megadeth was playing at a club in Boston, that's not happening. I'm sure if I was single or married to a metal head, it'd be cool.

I also find that going in town is a fucking hassle. I love concerts, I just hate getting to them. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #184 on: May 10, 2021, 03:38:02 PM »
My wife eats tuna out of a can like the fucking ocean is going to dry up.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #185 on: May 10, 2021, 05:24:57 PM »

Do you avoid the concept of tuna salad entirely, or is there an alternative (this is a legit question)?

Not a fan.  The only way I'm going to eat tuna is probably happening in a Japanese restaurant with some wasabi and an ice cold Kirin.

But chicken salad I can totally get behind.  :tup
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: May 10, 2021, 08:37:51 PM »
Every concert I've been to, which is maybe one a year, I've attended solo. I don't have friends to go with, and my wife and I just agree that it's best if I go alone. I would actually prefer that over her going with me and not enjoying it (that feeling is generally not reciprocated). I always have a good time, it just never feels like it reaches the level of excitement as when I first heard about the show and bought the tickets.

My wife eats tuna out of a can like the fucking ocean is going to dry up.

I am on this forum too often... I skimmed this thread on my phone, saw this post, and knew, without a shadow of a doubt, it was TAC.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2021, 08:46:13 PM »
 :lol

I have no idea why. :lol

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #188 on: May 11, 2021, 05:19:16 AM »
Scented Candles - Very expensive way of making your room smell of feet.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #189 on: May 11, 2021, 07:29:36 AM »

Not a fan.  The only way I'm going to eat tuna is probably happening in a Japanese restaurant with some wasabi and an ice cold Kirin.

But chicken salad I can totally get behind.  :tup

Interesting - I like tuna out of a can enough but I don't like fresh tuna steak. Too dry....yuck.

Of course it's entirely possible that I don't know how to cook tuna steak.  :loser:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2021, 08:42:16 AM »
Of all the concerts I've seen in my life, probably 75% were in the ten years between 1984-94 and only 25% have been in 25+ years since then. 

My concert history is somewhat similar. I went to tons of shows in high school, college, early to mid 20's.. I also went to tons of shows alone as well. My ex wife didn't care if I went. But being honest, I started to feel funny about having to go to shows alone. To make a long story short, she became my ex wife...

I met my current wife 6 months after I moved out, and she is not into going to concerts. And she's even less interested in me going to concerts alone coming home late at night or early morning.

She has come with me to many shows, but over the past 20 years, I really only see my truly favorite bands. Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Alice Cooper, and UFO. If Megadeth was playing at a club in Boston, that's not happening. I'm sure if I was single or married to a metal head, it'd be cool.

I also find that going in town is a fucking hassle. I love concerts, I just hate getting to them.

Parking.  If I could change any one thing about concerts generally, it would be parking.   The only place that is decent for that is the theater i go to in Ridgefield (it's literally in the Ridgefield Town Hall) so I will drive down, get a hoagie, drive up to the place before the parking attendants get there (or if they are there, I slip them a fiver) and park.   Usually I am within 75 feet of the front door.  Next best is shows in NYC, where I park in one of the lots near McSorley's (if the show is downtown Manhattan) or near my office (if the show is midtown). 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2021, 08:50:36 AM »

Parking.  If I could change any one thing about concerts generally, it would be parking.   The only place that is decent for that is the theater i go to in Ridgefield (it's literally in the Ridgefield Town Hall) so I will drive down, get a hoagie, drive up to the place before the parking attendants get there (or if they are there, I slip them a fiver) and park.   Usually I am within 75 feet of the front door.  Next best is shows in NYC, where I park in one of the lots near McSorley's (if the show is downtown Manhattan) or near my office (if the show is midtown).
I can't stand getting ripped off paying to park, but the parking lot is one of the best features of hitting a show. IF we leave ourselves less that 40 minutes in the parking lot, we done majorly fucked up.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2021, 09:03:19 AM »

I can't stand getting ripped off paying to park, but the parking lot is one of the best features of hitting a show. IF we leave ourselves less that 40 minutes in the parking lot, we done majorly fucked up.

That's one of the drawbacks of going alone; I never feel weird being by myself, except when cruising the parking lot.  Tailgating is also less of a thing in the City.   For Gov't Mule, though, we got a couple beers, a New Haven pizza, and hung in the lot and had a good time; the car next to us had been there for three days from Buffalo.  They were a trip.  :)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #193 on: May 11, 2021, 09:09:19 AM »
Funny how some people still named someONE  :facepalm:

I can't really think of anything because what I usually like is liked by most people.  Now, I can't stand lima beans or beets, but I don't think most people like those two things anyway.

:dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White