Author Topic: Name Something  (Read 8008 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Name Something
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2021, 09:05:16 AM »
I kinda have a problem with any region whose stance is, "you can't take my guns, but I'll voluntarily hand over my bacon."  That just ain't right.
I never said you could have my bacon.

Sorry, no take-backs.  I heard what I heard.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline romdrums

« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2021, 09:06:55 AM »
I love me some onion rings but those 'Bloomin' Onions' were GROSS.  I never understood the appeal other than they looked like a pretty way to present onion rings that weren't really onion rings.

Outback was done for once they had to start posting their nutritional information and calorie counts.  Those Bloomin' Onions are calorie bombs, and I remember there used to be customers that would eat those as their dinners.   :puke:
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2021, 09:15:38 AM »
BLTs are great, of course.

I am here on behalf of the South to say that a plain tomato sandwich (bread, mayo, tomato slices, salt, lots of pepper) is superior, IMHO.  2 of them are even better.

Fixed that for me.

Also these.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline pg1067

« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2021, 09:24:07 AM »
Facebook posts that go:
"Does anybody know what this is?

[insert pic of a hand-crank meat grinder, sparkplug gauge, or some other random thing that kids and young adults today wouldn't recognize]

Like and share if you do (but don't say what it is!)."

These annoy me to no end.  Maybe I'm overreacting, but it feels to me like people who do that feel the need to be validated for being old, which is stupid.  To me, this type of post has three strikes against it right off the bat:
1.  I don't care for your air of moral superiority, even over something so trivial.  And if you post these, there is a high likelihood that you post plenty of other things that have made me kind of regret accepting your friend request through the years.
2.  If you demand that I like and share anything, I'm not going to, just to spite you.  It's pretty rare that I "like&share" anyway, but you just assured that I will not.
3.  Why not say what it is?  If people don't know what it is, why not take the opportunity to educate them?  Wouldn't that be more fun that just reposting something?  :dunno:
4.  (Yes, I can count to three.  This is a bonus peeve)  The spelling, grammar, and punctuation are probably glaringly bad, which makes me question why you liked and shared it.  If you truly liked it, you probably should have proof read it and edited it before sharing.

Amen!

All of those things annoy me.  I will "like" lots of things, but I "share" very little, and anything that "demands" I share will not be shared -- ESPECIALLY if it's got glaringly bad grammar/spelling/punctuation.  The other thing I see way too much of is, "Hey!  Want to confuse kids today?  Lock them in a room with an analog clock, a VCR and instructions written in cursive for operating the VCR and tell them they have to record a show at 8:00."  As though it's some sort of character flaw that a 12-year old might not know how to work a VCR.

It's a recurring theme for me. Roping in dipshits by charging too much has always bugged me. But now you can use a product's own cheapness as an excuse to make it stupidly expensive. That just makes me insane.

It goes along with what I've written a few times:  calling something "artisinal" or saying that it has been "curated" seems to be a license to double the price.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2021, 09:35:06 AM »
Wasn't sure whether this should go in the "mildly irritating" thread, or this one, but this one was higher up the page, so...

Facebook posts that go:

[insert pic of a hand-crank meat grinder, sparkplug gauge, or some other random thing that kids and young adults today wouldn't recognize]

These annoy me to no end.  Maybe I'm overreacting, but it feels to me like people who do that feel the need to be validated for being old, which is stupid.  To me, this type of post has three strikes against it right off the bat:
1.  I don't care for your air of moral superiority, even over something so trivial.  And if you post these, there is a high likelihood that you post plenty of other things that have made me kind of regret accepting your friend request through the years.
2.  If you demand that I like and share anything, I'm not going to, just to spite you.  It's pretty rare that I "like&share" anyway, but you just assured that I will not.
3.  Why not say what it is?  If people don't know what it is, why not take the opportunity to educate them?  Wouldn't that be more fun that just reposting something?  :dunno:
4.  (Yes, I can count to three.  This is a bonus peeve)  The spelling, grammar, and punctuation are probably glaringly bad, which makes me question why you liked and shared it.  If you truly liked it, you probably should have proof read it and edited it before sharing.

I kind of view ALL of social media as a sign of our collective insecurity, and our need to be validated. I just don't understand putting up pictures of myself, with the sole intent of having my friends, or maybe even a stranger, respond back with "WOW, just beautiful!" or the like.  WTF.  We keep telling ourselves in ads and in other (IMO contradictory) social media memes that we are beautiful no matter what others think, and yet, pander to that very same craving for acceptance. 

This is bordering on P/R for me, because I think much of our problem in the U.S. is rooted in a systemic, massive collective insecurity, and this is but one example of that.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2021, 09:47:05 AM »
Wasn't sure whether this should go in the "mildly irritating" thread, or this one, but this one was higher up the page, so...

Facebook posts that go:

I kind of view ALL of social media as a sign of our collective insecurity, and our need to be validated. I just don't understand putting up pictures of myself, with the sole intent of having my friends, or maybe even a stranger, respond back with "WOW, just beautiful!" or the like.  WTF.  We keep telling ourselves in ads and in other (IMO contradictory) social media memes that we are beautiful no matter what others think, and yet, pander to that very same craving for acceptance. 

This is bordering on P/R for me, because I think much of our problem in the U.S. is rooted in a systemic, massive collective insecurity, and this is but one example of that.

I'm often torn thinking about this. I'm not very active on most forms of social media, and I rarely post a picture of myself when I am. I share a lot of what I BBQ and the things I'm building at the time. Maybe I'm justifying it in my head, but I think there are differences in how, what, and why people share content on social media. I don't like being lumped in (not saying you were) with people like my sister's friend who pays for followers and devotes every waking moment to documenting her existence online. I don't share pictures of things like my RC trucks to get praise or some kind of validation from others. I share them because I'm part of a hobby, and we like seeing what everyone else is working on. It's inspirational in a way. When I'm trying to decide on paint schemes or rim/tire combinations, I love being able to turn to the thousands of examples that other people like myself also shared. I like to share what I'm doing with specific communities because others doing the same is what allowed me to grow and learn how to do a lot of cool stuff. I use social media as a knowledge transferring tool more than just about anything else.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2021, 09:50:40 AM »

It seems to break down completely on gender lines.  A woman posts a picture of herself and you immediately get a dozen other women commenting with "Beautiful!" or "Gorgeous Lady!"  A lot of times, it's a picture apparently intended to induce such a reaction, but sometimes it's not, but those comments are made nonetheless.  And yet I've never once seen a bunch of guys comment on another guy's photo of himself with "what a hunk!" or "handsome gent!"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2021, 09:57:19 AM »
Well, see, that's exactly why we're not Facebook friends.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2021, 10:02:52 AM »

It seems to break down completely on gender lines.  A woman posts a picture of herself and you immediately get a dozen other women commenting with "Beautiful!" or "Gorgeous Lady!"  A lot of times, it's a picture apparently intended to induce such a reaction, but sometimes it's not, but those comments are made nonetheless.  And yet I've never once seen a bunch of guys comment on another guy's photo of himself with "what a hunk!" or "handsome gent!"

That's why men only have one bottle of shampoo and women have 17,345.  All in the shower.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2021, 10:17:22 AM »

That's why men only have one bottle of shampoo and women have 17,345.  All in the shower.

Or none.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2021, 10:18:37 AM »

Or none.

I'm close but not there yet.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2021, 10:27:59 AM »

This.  My wife - love her! - has three different shampoos, each with their own companion conditioner.    I just use whatever's in there, but I learned the hard way I have to actually read the bottle to make sure it's actually shampoo.   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2021, 11:16:26 AM »

I have totally done this.

You sexy beast.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2021, 11:46:22 AM »
Yes.  Everybody else on this world but you Tim. Even bosk1 is on Facebook.

You old bastard.

I'm not on Facebook, and have no intentions to join.

So there's 2 of you? :lol

Make it three.  The only reason why I have a Facebook account is to use that to get an account on Spotify.  Hate the interface.  Twitter is my only form of Social Media and even then, I don't like looking at it some of the time.

Food trucks and so-called street food. Nothing more than excuses to jack the prices up when the whole point should be to lower them. Newsflash: Laotians aren't paying their equivalent of 8 bucks for six dumplings on a skewer.

Someone here, I am 99% sure it was you, had a great rant a while back about food trucks. Someone in our community orders up a food truck for us a couple times every summer, and it makes people lose their minds.

THE FOOD TRUCK IS GOING TO BE HERE TONIGHT!
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO GET?!
YOU LIVE BY WHERE THEY PARK, TEXT ME ONCE THEY GET HERE!

Found it.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49469.msg2626869#msg2626869

Yeah, checked that post.  That place was certainly ripping El Barto off on the price of Bahn Mi.  There are some sandwich places in Westminster, CA where if you buy 2 at that price of $8-9.00, you get a 3rd one for free.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2021, 11:54:59 AM »

I have totally done this.

You sexy beast.

I mean I get these types of comments all the time. But, then again, I am a damn handsome specimen.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2021, 11:56:34 AM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #156 on: May 07, 2021, 12:08:29 PM »
The straps emphasizes the point, to me.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: May 07, 2021, 12:12:46 PM »
I am - philosophically - pounding the "like" button.  :) :) :)

(That background is straight out of a Monet painting, too.)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: May 07, 2021, 12:22:14 PM »
I am - philosophically - pounding the "like" button.  :) :) :)

(That background is straight out of a Monet painting, too.)

It's the gardens of an old imperial palace in Kyoto. Japanese gardens are works of art.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2021, 04:47:34 PM »
Onions got a three-tool game. They are great on stuff raw, grilled, or fried.

I hate onions raw, like them grilled/cooked, and are give or take fried.
Honestly raw sliced onions on my burger beats grilled/cooked and i'm not even joking.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2021, 05:00:07 PM »
Red onions are good raw.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2021, 05:03:35 PM »
Red onions are good raw.

I love them in a pasta salad.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2021, 08:40:09 PM »
You guys are gross.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2021, 08:46:57 PM »
You guys are gross.

Thank you puritan.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2021, 04:39:12 AM »
I'm weird. I absolutely despise onions, yet I like onion rings and French fried onions. If I could I'd eradicate onions from existence. I don't care how good French fried onions are.

And lima beans. Fuck those things.

Also, Billie Eilish's music is garbage. How anyone could like that boring ass drivel is beyond me. She's like the onions of music. Just why?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2021, 07:10:49 AM »
Indeed, her music is full of layers and has taste only true people of culture can appreciate.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2021, 10:27:15 AM »
Also, Billie Eilish's music is garbage. How anyone could like that boring ass drivel is beyond me. She's like the onions of music.

:lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #167 on: May 08, 2021, 01:15:42 PM »
Food trucks and so-called street food. Nothing more than excuses to jack the prices up when the whole point should be to lower them. Newsflash: Laotians aren't paying their equivalent of 8 bucks for six dumplings on a skewer.

Someone here, I am 99% sure it was you, had a great rant a while back about food trucks. Someone in our community orders up a food truck for us a couple times every summer, and it makes people lose their minds.

THE FOOD TRUCK IS GOING TO BE HERE TONIGHT!
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO GET?!
YOU LIVE BY WHERE THEY PARK, TEXT ME ONCE THEY GET HERE!

Found it.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49469.msg2626869#msg2626869

Yeah, checked that post.  That place was certainly ripping El Barto off on the price of Bahn Mi.  There are some sandwich places in Westminster, CA where if you buy 2 at that price of $8-9.00, you get a 3rd one for free.
They're not ripping me off. I ain't paying that much for a bahn mi. Not when this is the bahn mi by which all others in Dallas are judged:

The difference is that they're not trying to cater to trendy assholes who want their egos stroked by promises of locally grown cabbage and artisanal daikon pickled by bearded hipsters in Deep Ellum.  They're catering to actual Vietnamese people.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2021, 01:36:33 PM »
^^ Yep, those prices seem standard here in the Little Saigon district in the OC.  Except instead of buying three to get the next one free, it's only buy two.  They are just good sandwiches.  Love them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #169 on: May 08, 2021, 02:11:19 PM »

Also, Billie Eilish's music is garbage. How anyone could like that boring ass drivel is beyond me. She's like the onions of music. Just why?

The first time I heard one of her songs, my thought was, "All she does is mumble." :lol  I listened to a few other songs and then heard the appeal.  She manages to sneak in some really good melodies with the way she sings.  I can't say I'd go out of my way to hear her stuff, but you never know, I guess. I did read that she has a new album coming out soon, so time will tell.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2021, 02:39:53 PM »

The first time I heard one of her songs, my thought was, "All she does is mumble." :lol  I listened to a few other songs and then heard the appeal.  She manages to sneak in some really good melodies with the way she sings.  I can't say I'd go out of my way to hear her stuff, but you never know, I guess. I did read that she has a new album coming out soon, so time will tell.

There was one song I heard a while back that sounded completely different than anything else she's done that didn't sound bad at all. I don't know what it was called nor am I interested enough to search it out. Bad Guy (like many other songs) won a Grammy (meaningless but still an award) and that song like everything she's done minus that anomaly sounds exactly the same or a cheap knock off of Lana Del Ray, who's another singer whose appeal I don't get. Instant repulsion. It's not even good for helping me sleep. It's so bland and boring that it pisses me off.

Childish Bandito's This is America: Another WTF from me. Horrid, horrid song. Won an award... Has Lil' Wayne won any awards? Probably.

And that was my 2008 music rant for the day. I better stop or I might get banned for arguing about subjective things.

Raw onions ruin everything. Cooked onions are pointless. They don't add flavor. Just foreign objects in my food.

Seriously though, fuck onions. And cheerios. For more than 20 years I hated Oreos too. I had a traumatic experience where I dreamt Oreos were falling into milk. I woke up with sour stomach (sulfur/rotten egg burps) and threw up. I hated Oreos ever since. Although Oreo O's was my favorite cereal. Cereal version of onion rings. I also like cookies and cream iced cream. Oreos by themselves though, no thanks. I have eaten them since, but I still steer clear. They're overrated for sure.

There are definitely more things I hate that most people like (because I'm a crotchety old man), but I'm drawing a blank.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2021, 03:48:08 PM »
I am sometimes baffled that Cheerios are so enduringly popular.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2021, 03:56:33 PM »
Honey Nut Cherrios is my go to cereal nowadays along with Honey Bunches Of Oats.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #173 on: May 08, 2021, 07:48:00 PM »

There was one song I heard a while back that sounded completely different than anything else she's done that didn't sound bad at all. I don't know what it was called nor am I interested enough to search it out. Bad Guy (like many other songs) won a Grammy (meaningless but still an award) and that song like everything she's done minus that anomaly sounds exactly the same or a cheap knock off of Lana Del Ray, who's another singer whose appeal I don't get. Instant repulsion. It's not even good for helping me sleep. It's so bland and boring that it pisses me off.

Childish Bandito's This is America: Another WTF from me. Horrid, horrid song. Won an award... Has Lil' Wayne won any awards? Probably.

And that was my 2008 music rant for the day. I better stop or I might get banned for arguing about subjective things.

I thought the one Lana Del Ray album sounded good for a while, but about halfway through I got bored and turned it off.  It just felt like the same dreary thing was going on in every song and nothing was really grabbing me to where I wanted to keep going or revisit it.  I guess to get my fix of modern mainstream pop, I will stick with the occasional Lady Gaga song and Taylor Swift.  :lol :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: May 08, 2021, 08:57:07 PM »
Here's a hot take for this forum.... going to concerts. I love music. It isn't as big a part of my life as it is for many of you, but it is still meaningful, and has gotten me through some hard times. I just don't get the thrill out of live shows that most everyone here seems to.