Author Topic: Name Something  (Read 8007 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Name Something
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2021, 02:07:44 PM »
Scented products

:hifive:

I hate scented trash can liners!

Gin

:'(

We can no longer be friends. I'm sorry.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2021, 02:25:07 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2021, 02:52:12 PM »
She was pretty fucking hardcore.

My maternal grandmother was pretty hardcore too! She could rip an apple in half with her bare hands. I don't know if that's why grandpa ate raw onions, but it probably had something to do with it.
Probably so!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2021, 02:54:43 PM »
Iced coffee is great on a hot summer afternoon.  Needs to be a little sweeter than I normally drink hot coffee (1/2 a sweetner pack in a large cup).  I love flavored coffees (I get 'em cheap at Winners/Marshalls), and also have a couple of bottles of flavor syrups (brown sugar and cinnamon... yum!!) for the occasional use.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2021, 03:39:16 PM »
Vietnamese iced coffee is bad ass. The stuff you get from Starbucks, not so much.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2021, 03:45:05 PM »
4 pages and no Kotow? Anyone else worried?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2021, 03:51:18 PM »
I think he's still making his list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2021, 04:04:57 PM »
Good coleslaw is bad ass. Good coffee is bad ass. Onions, insofar as vegetables go, are bad ass. Tomatoes suck, but I've grown to at least tolerate them in certain circumstances.

Coleslaw is good if the mayo is barely there. Vinegar and mustard based coleslaws are the bees knees.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2021, 04:18:37 PM »
4 pages and no Kotow? Anyone else worried?

He's still researching every breed of dog to list down.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2021, 04:21:17 PM »
Iced coffee is great on a hot summer afternoon.  Needs to be a little sweeter than I normally drink hot coffee (1/2 a sweetner pack in a large cup).  I love flavored coffees (I get 'em cheap at Winners/Marshalls), and also have a couple of bottles of flavor syrups (brown sugar and cinnamon... yum!!) for the occasional use.

Damn, we are a match.  All of this is on point.  Iced coffee without some sweetness or chocolate or caramel or whatever just doesn't quite work.  Not the same as a hot black coffee which is fine without any sweetness in there.  I love my mocha's on the weekends too and usually a flavoured coffee is my go to over a black coffee.  I like my frappuccino's too over strict iced coffee.  I like a bit of calories and body if I'm having a cold coffee drink.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2021, 06:03:15 PM »
Wasn't sure whether this should go in the "mildly irritating" thread, or this one, but this one was higher up the page, so...

Facebook posts that go:
"Does anybody know what this is?

[insert pic of a hand-crank meat grinder, sparkplug gauge, or some other random thing that kids and young adults today wouldn't recognize]

Like and share if you do (but don't say what it is!)."

These annoy me to no end.  Maybe I'm overreacting, but it feels to me like people who do that feel the need to be validated for being old, which is stupid.  To me, this type of post has three strikes against it right off the bat:
1.  I don't care for your air of moral superiority, even over something so trivial.  And if you post these, there is a high likelihood that you post plenty of other things that have made me kind of regret accepting your friend request through the years.
2.  If you demand that I like and share anything, I'm not going to, just to spite you.  It's pretty rare that I "like&share" anyway, but you just assured that I will not.
3.  Why not say what it is?  If people don't know what it is, why not take the opportunity to educate them?  Wouldn't that be more fun that just reposting something?  :dunno:
4.  (Yes, I can count to three.  This is a bonus peeve)  The spelling, grammar, and punctuation are probably glaringly bad, which makes me question why you liked and shared it.  If you truly liked it, you probably should have proof read it and edited it before sharing.

...And on a different note:
Good coleslaw is bad ass. Good coffee is bad ass. Onions, insofar as vegetables go, are bad ass.

This!  :hifive:

Tomatoes suck, but I've grown to at least tolerate them in certain circumstances.

But not that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline coz

« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2021, 08:17:59 PM »
A lot of people like and think they need a pickup truck.  While I can't stand them as personal vehicles go.  Much like cole slaw, basketball and raw onions.  I play drums out with a band and not once have thought a truck is what I need.

I drove all over town today.  Saw tons, 1/2 tons and 1/4 tons of personal trucks.  None of them being used for "trucklike" purposes. 

Last year, I asked my neighbor, who I get along well with, if I could borrow his to pick up a desk.  That's when I learned he has a tonneau cover on it that they don't take off!  So he has made the bed essentially useless.  I've seen a similar truck dude at the furniture store who couldn't figure out his own bed cover to haul a box that wouldn't fit under it. 

Why do you need more room because of old age?
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2021, 08:20:41 PM »
What?  That's bullshit. They roll or fold up.  I have one.  I think he didn't want to let you use his truck.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2021, 08:22:08 PM »
Wasn't sure whether this should go in the "mildly irritating" thread, or this one, but this one was higher up the page, so...

Facebook posts that go:
"Does anybody know what this is?

[insert pic of a hand-crank meat grinder, sparkplug gauge, or some other random thing that kids and young adults today wouldn't recognize]

Like and share if you do (but don't say what it is!)."

These annoy me to no end.  Maybe I'm overreacting, but it feels to me like people who do that feel the need to be validated for being old, which is stupid.  To me, this type of post has three strikes against it right off the bat:
1.  I don't care for your air of moral superiority, even over something so trivial.  And if you post these, there is a high likelihood that you post plenty of other things that have made me kind of regret accepting your friend request through the years.
2.  If you demand that I like and share anything, I'm not going to, just to spite you.  It's pretty rare that I "like&share" anyway, but you just assured that I will not.
3.  Why not say what it is?  If people don't know what it is, why not take the opportunity to educate them?  Wouldn't that be more fun that just reposting something?  :dunno:
4.  (Yes, I can count to three.  This is a bonus peeve)  The spelling, grammar, and punctuation are probably glaringly bad, which makes me question why you liked and shared it.  If you truly liked it, you probably should have proof read it and edited it before sharing.

Does anyone know what this is?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2021, 08:25:34 PM »
Yes.  Everybody else on this world but you Tim. Even bosk1 is on Facebook.

You old bastard.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline coz

« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2021, 08:26:46 PM »
What?  That's bullshit. They roll or fold up.  I have one.  I think he didn't want to let you use his truck.
Yeah, I agree.  But since then I can't say I've seen him use his truck either.  It's just weird to me.
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2021, 08:32:33 PM »
He straight out lied. That's too bad.  You could have got a glimpse into if it worked for you.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2021, 08:36:25 PM »
I'll chime in with coffee (and anything coffee flavored). And when you say you hate coffee up here in the PNW, you get some strange looks.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2021, 08:39:53 PM »

You old bastard.

I'm not on Facebook, and have no intentions to join.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2021, 08:42:16 PM »

You old bastard.

So there's 2 of you? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2021, 08:44:00 PM »

You old bastard.

So there's 2 of you? :lol

Um no...Donald Trump is not on Facebook either. ;D

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2021, 09:02:02 PM »
Speaking of Facebook,

Social Media would be on the list for me.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2021, 09:28:09 PM »
Food trucks and so-called street food. Nothing more than excuses to jack the prices up when the whole point should be to lower them. Newsflash: Laotians aren't paying their equivalent of 8 bucks for six dumplings on a skewer.

Someone here, I am 99% sure it was you, had a great rant a while back about food trucks. Someone in our community orders up a food truck for us a couple times every summer, and it makes people lose their minds.

THE FOOD TRUCK IS GOING TO BE HERE TONIGHT!
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO GET?!
YOU LIVE BY WHERE THEY PARK, TEXT ME ONCE THEY GET HERE!

Found it.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49469.msg2626869#msg2626869
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2021, 10:37:53 PM »
Food trucks and so-called street food. Nothing more than excuses to jack the prices up when the whole point should be to lower them. Newsflash: Laotians aren't paying their equivalent of 8 bucks for six dumplings on a skewer.

Someone here, I am 99% sure it was you, had a great rant a while back about food trucks. Someone in our community orders up a food truck for us a couple times every summer, and it makes people lose their minds.

Found it.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49469.msg2626869#msg2626869
It's a recurring theme for me. Roping in dipshits by charging too much has always bugged me. But now you can use a product's own cheapness as an excuse to make it stupidly expensive. That just makes me insane.

Good coleslaw is bad ass. Good coffee is bad ass. Onions, insofar as vegetables go, are bad ass.

Tomatoes suck, but I've grown to at least tolerate them in certain circumstances.

But not that.
Plain ole tomatoes just suck. I've found ways I tolerate them, and a few ways I really like them, though. Quite possibly the best burger in Dallas has a single slice of a marinated tomato in there, and it simply wouldn't be the same without it. And sun-dried tomatoes are certainly a net-positive in the grand scheme of things.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2021, 10:51:12 PM »
I mean, I generally don't care to make them the star of any dish.  But there are a LOT of things I eat that are tomato based or have tomatoes as one player in the band (maybe just a backup singer, or that dancer off to the left of the drum riser), to where you probably wouldn't ever even think of going to see the show for the tomato, but the show would suck without it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2021, 07:24:57 AM »

Found it.

It's a recurring theme for me. Roping in dipshits by charging too much has always bugged me. But now you can use a product's own cheapness as an excuse to make it stupidly expensive. That just makes me insane.

But not that.
Plain ole tomatoes just suck. I've found ways I tolerate them, and a few ways I really like them, though. Quite possibly the best burger in Dallas has a single slice of a marinated tomato in there, and it simply wouldn't be the same without it. And sun-dried tomatoes are certainly a net-positive in the grand scheme of things.

I'm a big fan of breakfast sandwiches; I make them myself all the time as a little treat on weekends.   Good, fresh hard roll, meat (I prefer sausage or bacon, but will take ham if need be), a slice of American cheese, a fried egg over medium (you need the drip), salt and pepper...  and a slice of fresh garden tomato.   The tomato is what makes it for me.

My dad used to eat tomatoes like apples.  Just pick them off the vine, and bite into them.  Sometimes, in the summer, when I was really young I remember he'd sit out on the deck and slice it into quarters and eat them that way, with a small dollop of mayonaise on them.  I could never do that; I hated tomatoes until I started liking them on burgers, then slowly expanded out.  I still don't eat them plain and raw; the closest I come is a caprese salad (which I love).

Offline romdrums

« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2021, 08:21:27 AM »
As far as onions go, I hate them more because that is a smell you cannot get rid of if you handle them extensively.  I worked for Outback Steakhouse back in the 90's, and I would occasionally work a kitchen shift, usually on the salad station or bloomin' onion station, and man, I'd eventually just throw clothes away because the onion smell would get into your clothes and hands and stay there.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2021, 08:28:36 AM »
I love me some onion rings but those 'Bloomin' Onions' were GROSS.  I never understood the appeal other than they looked like a pretty way to present onion rings that weren't really onion rings.

This thread reminds me that I need to get my tomatoes planted.  You can't make a decent BLT without garden tomatoes.  Lot's of mayo please and don't toast that bread!

:tup
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2021, 08:30:20 AM »
YES!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2021, 08:31:18 AM »
YES!

You don't like Yes? They're a pretty decent band.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2021, 08:32:53 AM »
I love me some onion rings but those 'Bloomin' Onions' were GROSS.  I never understood the appeal other than they looked like a pretty way to present onion rings that weren't really onion rings.

This thread reminds me that I need to get my tomatoes planted.  You can't make a decent BLT without garden tomatoes.  Lot's of mayo please and don't toast that bread!

:tup

A good BLT is sublime.   I'm with you, too, no toast (or at least if you're going to toast, do it LIGHTLY; you've already got the crunch from the bacon and lettuce).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2021, 08:42:53 AM »
BLTs are great, of course.

I am here on behalf of the South to say that a plain tomato sandwich (bread, mayo, tomato slices, salt, pepper) is superior, IMHO.  2 of them are even better.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2021, 08:47:42 AM »
I kinda have a problem with any region whose stance is, "you can't take my guns, but I'll voluntarily hand over my bacon."  That just ain't right.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2021, 08:53:54 AM »
Shit, I'd be a vegetarian tomorrow if I didn't have to give up bacon.   :lol
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2021, 08:57:21 AM »
I kinda have a problem with any region whose stance is, "you can't take my guns, but I'll voluntarily hand over my bacon."  That just ain't right.
I never said you could have my bacon.