Author Topic: John Petrucci's Rock the Barrel Bourbon -anyone else make a bad decision today?  (Read 11443 times)

Offline Lupton

I'll buy one and get it delivered to MP.

:lol

j/k

He'd probably sign it, then turn around and sell it for $400.

Offline goo-goo

Seems like it sold out.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Seems like it sold out.

Yea it sold out pretty quick it seems, not I'm kind of pissed for not buying it :lol

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
I was waiting until one of you guys gave me the taste profile... the honest taste profile... before I purchased.  Looks like I'll have a long wait for that  :lol

It is first-world insanity for certain.  I was going to sell a bit of ETH to buy it.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Skeever

Looks like it was price appropriately haha

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was waiting until one of you guys gave me the taste profile... the honest taste profile... before I purchased.  Looks like I'll have a long wait for that  :lol

It is first-world insanity for certain.  I was going to sell a bit of ETH to buy it.

I think you made the right call on holding the ETH, IMO. 

Yeah, I guess so  :lol

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Is the bottle signed or something?
I don't think so.

I didn't know this when I bought it a friend shared his recent purchase, but apparently they are all (384 bottles) signed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dreamtheater/comments/n9ciga/really_badass_for_jp_to_sign_the_bottles_229384/

Offline goo-goo

Bummer that I didn’t buy one.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Is the bottle signed or something?
I don't think so.

I didn't know this when I bought it a friend shared his recent purchase, but apparently they are all (384 bottles) signed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dreamtheater/comments/n9ciga/really_badass_for_jp_to_sign_the_bottles_229384/

Oh wow, that is cool.  Did they advertise the signatures?  Certainly makes the price a bit better knowing that.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
I wonder if any of the buyers will ever actually taste the bourbon, or the bottles will remain sealed on collectors' shelves?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
I wonder if any of the buyers will ever actually taste the bourbon, or the bottles will remain sealed on collectors' shelves?
One for the shelf.  One for drinking, or two or three...

I dunno, kinda wish JP hadn't done this.  Seems kinda cliché.  I mean, what's next?  Cologne, salad dressing or BBQ sauce?  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Setlist Scotty

I dunno, kinda wish JP hadn't done this.  Seems kinda cliché.  I mean, what's next?  Cologne, salad dressing or BBQ sauce?  :lol
BBQ sauce for sure! DUH!   :lol
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot

yeah, you're laughing, but I'd actually see that coming, might actually happen, who knows.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni

I think you made the right call on holding the ETH, IMO. 

Yeah, I guess so  :lol

:lol  Yeah... I'm hoping ETH, BTC, and Link retire me in the next 10-yrs or so.  Trying to make myself a minimalist in specific areas of my life.  Talking about buying $200 Whiskey isn't in one of those areas I guess  :biggrin:  The amount I drink (2 oz a week or so), the bottle would last me more than a year I'm sure.

Had I known it was signed, I likely would have pulled the trigger.  I thought I'd read the listing carefully... guess I missed it.

Personally, I'm glad to see JP branch out.  Nebula is awesome (I use it everyday), his sig picks are incredible I think, and I'd buy BQ-sauce in an instant if he came out with one and I liked the flavor profile.  He's setting himself up for retirement... passive income and all that.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 10:59:23 AM by vtgrad »
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline gzarruk

yeah, you're laughing, but I'd actually see that coming, might actually happen, who knows.

This might be something to laugh at (lol) but it just shows how messed up the music industry is, that JP needs to sell all sorts of signature stuff to see some extra income. I also saw an interview with JR a while back where his biggest advice to young musicians was to not rely on music as your only income source :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

I'm laughing, but I'm serious too! Given that he is a bear that loves to grill, it's logical that this will be the next thing that he he puts his name on, which is why I said "DUH!".  ;) Definitely see him doing that over cologne or salad dressing.  :P
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline goo-goo

JP is a big fan of the Big Poppa Smoker brand. I believe the owner of BPS is Sterling Ball, CEO of Ernie Ball guitars. A JP rub could be much closer in the making than what we think.

EDIT: If someone wants to part ways with the JP Rock The Barrell bourbon, please let me know.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Had I known it was signed, I likely would have pulled the trigger.  I thought I'd read the listing carefully... guess I missed it.

The listing did not advertise a signature, so you didn't miss anything. They only advertised an invite to a live-stream virtual tasting (zoom call, so I'm assuming everyone will be able to participate).

Mine just arrived today, and I'm in no rush to open it; I'm leaning more towards preserving it. Numbered #23/384, a number that I've always been fascinated by and notice whenever it pops up.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Still fine with not getting it. BBQ sauce might have been a different story.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Still fine with not getting it. BBQ sauce might have been a different story.

Together with JLB's burgers.  :lol

Offline Architeuthis

I'm laughing, but I'm serious too! Given that he is a bear that loves to grill, it's logical that this will be the next thing that he he puts his name on, which is why I said "DUH!".  ;) Definitely see him doing that over cologne or salad dressing.  :P
BBQ sauce could be very likely.  Something like JP's Grizzly Sauce. 💪🐻
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
I might go for the BBQ sauce.  ;D But, what I'd really like to see from JP is an updated instructional DVD/bluray.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Architeuthis

I might go for the BBQ sauce.  ;D But, what I'd really like to see from JP is an updated instructional DVD/bluray.
Oh heck yeah, good call!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power

This might be something to laugh at (lol) but it just shows how messed up the music industry is, that JP needs to sell all sorts of signature stuff to see some extra income. I also saw an interview with JR a while back where his biggest advice to young musicians was to not rely on music as your only income source :'(

According to Google, JP's net worth is around $35m.  I don't think he's hurting for extra income.  It's probably more like a hobby.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm not sure it's really a hobby, I think it's just maximizing your potential. 

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not sure it's really a hobby, I think it's just maximizing your potential.

That's kind of where I fall too with regard to JP and the "brand".  Geez, with JP's stuff and Kevin Moore becoming a Psychiatrist, I feel like I'm wasting my life with only two businesses. 

Offline TM172003

It’s hardly like he’s shamelessly shoving his name on anything though, he only puts his name on things that he’s actually passionate about, hence the whiskey and the beard oil. It’s the same with pedals etc, he endorses TC Electronics and Dunlop because he’s loved their products for decades.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
According to Google, JP's net worth is around $35m. 
I find that figure difficult to believe.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
According to Google, JP's net worth is around $35m. 
I find that figure difficult to believe.

Those google networth things are really inaccurate. I too find that really hard to believe.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Just saw there will be a Rock the Barrel 2 coming soon.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 12:21:24 PM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice! I'll probably pick up a bottle this time. I got to sample some before the Raleigh DT show and it was good, a bit intense though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Nice! I'll probably pick up a bottle this time. I got to sample some before the Raleigh DT show and it was good, a bit intense though.
YOU KNOW IT

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm supposed to be on the mailing list with Iron Smoke, so hopefully they send me a link for it.  I'll pick up a bottle this time as well.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
A bit too expensive for me, as much as I love whisky. I have spent so much money on JP branded items, from his signature guitars, to plug-ins, to merch, I think I will sit this one out lol. Maybe it becomes a collector's item in 50 years.