Author Topic: John Petrucci's Rock the Barrel Bourbon -anyone else make a bad decision today?  (Read 11435 times)

Offline Air Weaver

I have no good reason why, but I pulled the trigger and got a bottle of the bourbon. I even got the t-shirt. Not sure if I will ever even open it and drink it. Or at least, it will definitely be saved for some super special occasion TBD.

It's sort of absurd, it's some first world insanity, and yet... I'm in. I'm a woodworker, so I'll probably build a special display case for it.

Anyone else?

Offline hunnus2000

I didn't know there is such a product. Knowing me, I would buy the maximum allowed and it would be gone in a couple of months so 400.00 bucks for 2 bottles of bourbon is a little pricey.

Offline pg1067

$200?!

$200?!

Not unless it makes me play guitar like him.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline goo-goo

Debating myself if I should get it. I'm more of a beer guy than a whiskey guy so that's why I'm hesitant. Is the Iron Smoke whiskey a good one? Has anybody tried their whiskies?

Offline gzarruk

DT has a beer (Barstool) and now JP has a signature bourbon. Things that could only happen with MP out of the band :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline goo-goo

DT has a beer (Barstool) and now JP has a signature bourbon. Things that could only happen with MP out of the band :lol

I ordered a six pack online. It was a decent beer, nothing memorable though.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Iron Maiden's beer was the only alcohol with a band's name that I've ever tried. It was alright, but way too overpriced, even for Brazil's ridiculous prices.

Offline Anguyen92

On a side note, after looking into it, I like the logo of it.

Offline pg1067

Iron Maiden's beer was the only alcohol with a band's name that I've ever tried. It was alright, but way too overpriced, even for Brazil's ridiculous prices.

I bought four bottles of what I think was the original "Trooper" beer several years ago (at a BevMo store).  I don't remember what it cost, but I don't remember it being out of line with any other beer of that type, and I do recall it being fairly tasty (although I've never gone back for more).  I wanted to get some of the Barstool Warrior, but I lost track of it after the initial marketing push.  Is it still available?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
I was going to get it but $200 is a bit too much.
I've picked up the Barstool Warrior multiple times at a near by store and it's pretty good. It also wasn't too expensive.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...

I bought four bottles of what I think was the original "Trooper" beer several years ago (at a BevMo store).  I don't remember what it cost, but I don't remember it being out of line with any other beer of that type, and I do recall it being fairly tasty (although I've never gone back for more).  I wanted to get some of the Barstool Warrior, but I lost track of it after the initial marketing push.  Is it still available?

Yeah, I believe the original "Trooper" that I tried was a red ale. It was tasty like other red ales I tried, but I paid around 28 Brazilian reais, while I can get the same or even better tasting red ales for less. Again, I can only speak from a Brazilian consumer perspective, but I felt like I was paying more because it was Iron Maiden, but hey, the logo was cool I guess. They now have a session IPA exclusive to the Brazilian market, which I haven't tried yet.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

I tried Megadeth's A Tout Le Monde a few years ago, and it was delicious (for my taste).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I love the Troopers. But that's the kind of beer I like, an English style ale. As PG said, it's priced in line with everything else around here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
I love the Troopers. But that's the kind of beer I like, an English style ale. As PG said, it's priced in line with everything else around here.

Oh, I absolutely love English ales. I will try the other Troopers one day if I can find them. I'm glad the prices are fair for y'all, but not over here unfortunately :(

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, I believe the original "Trooper" that I tried was a red ale.

Not really a red ale, more a classic ESB/strong bitter. I thought it was disappointing myself and wouldn't seek it out again. Tried their stout, too, Fear of the Dark. That was disappointing. Lacked body and depth of flavour. Literally gave the remaining seven bottles to my girlfriend (she generally drinks lager and red wine but like to deviates from lager sometimes at the start of a night of partying).

Opeth's beer, through Northern Monk, was pretty disappointing, too. Problem with these band beers, I think, is they try to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

As for JP's bourbon, I suspect it's probably overpriced by about 400%. But they don't ship outside the US so I'll likely never know.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline pg1067

Yeah, I believe the original "Trooper" that I tried was a red ale. It was tasty like other red ales I tried, but I paid around 28 Brazilian reais, while I can get the same or even better tasting red ales for less. Again, I can only speak from a Brazilian consumer perspective, but I felt like I was paying more because it was Iron Maiden, but hey, the logo was cool I guess. They now have a session IPA exclusive to the Brazilian market, which I haven't tried yet.

At the current exchange rate, that's $5.15 US, which is pretty standard if you're buying a stand-alone pint (and yeah, you're going to pay a bit of a premium for it being Iron Maiden -- depending on where you're buying it).  Out of curiosity, what would a "normal" stand-alone pint cost you?

Offline Architeuthis

They need to make a affordable "Sterling" version of this bourbon for us blue collar guys, kind of like they did with the Majesty guitars. 
 Didn't have money for the rent, out the door I went.  🎶
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
$200?!

$200?!

I was going to try it but $200?!  Yeah, I will pass.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Hey, I'm a collector just like a lot of you and I don't even drink but I'd get this if the price were reasonable just to have it as a souvenir but $200? 

I *might* have done like $75

Offline Skeever

I was into whiskey and Scotch for a couple of years. I drank from a few pretty expensive bottles during that time but nothing where I ever considered buying a bottle that was into the three-figure range. I stopped drinking hard stuff completely aside from rare special occasions so I can't see where this would figure in for me now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Trooper is a solid beer IMO, nothing special but it's good.  A lot of the other band beers I've tried haven't been my thing.  The price, if you can find it in a store, is actually fairly normal, but if you bought it at a concert well, you paid a lot and I know I have done that.

As for this bourbon, I don't drink that so it would purely be for collecting and the price point is just not for me.

To compare, I bought the Slipknot whiskey for $50 or $60 (I can't remember) and I only bought it because they did a free signing of the bottle and picture before their local concert if you bought a bottle, so for that price point I thought it was great value for a collectible item. (also, it was only a couple members of Slipknot, not Corey Taylor).

So when I think about the price of this bottle, I kind of laugh (unless some aficionado can say the actual bourbon itself is worth the price but it still wouldn't be for me but at least then I could understand the $200)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
For those who may be unaware, the Bourbon market has absolutely exploded in recent years, and there are now a bunch of Bourbon "Collectors" out there driving prices up.  That's likely what's driving the high price of JP's Bourbon.  Too rich for my blood, unfortunately. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Trooper is a solid beer IMO, nothing special but it's good.  A lot of the other band beers I've tried haven't been my thing.  The price, if you can find it in a store, is actually fairly normal, but if you bought it at a concert well, you paid a lot and I know I have done that.

As for this bourbon, I don't drink that so it would purely be for collecting and the price point is just not for me.

To compare, I bought the Slipknot whiskey for $50 or $60 (I can't remember) and I only bought it because they did a free signing of the bottle and picture before their local concert if you bought a bottle, so for that price point I thought it was great value for a collectible item. (also, it was only a couple members of Slipknot, not Corey Taylor).

It's probably the guitar tech and a couple of lighting guys. lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

So when I think about the price of this bottle, I kind of laugh (unless some aficionado can say the actual bourbon itself is worth the price but it still wouldn't be for me but at least then I could understand the $200)

The expressions of their masks in contrast with your grin is fucking hilarious.  Great photo!   But they could be your next door neighbour for all you know!  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
$200?!

$200?!

This would cost me over here $260!  No chance in hell.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...

At the current exchange rate, that's $5.15 US, which is pretty standard if you're buying a stand-alone pint (and yeah, you're going to pay a bit of a premium for it being Iron Maiden -- depending on where you're buying it).  Out of curiosity, what would a "normal" stand-alone pint cost you?

I usually pay around 16 for my favorite national beers and even 18 to 25 to some imported beers that I really enjoy, mostly from Germany or Belgium. I believe I paid 35 once for a Weihenstephaner Vitus, but that was much, much better than the Trooper beer, imho, although it was a completely different style. I can understand the fact that I'm paying more because it's Iron Maiden, I just wish the quality was a bit better, but hey, the logo is pretty cool. I might still have the bottle stored somewhere.

Not really a red ale, more a classic ESB/strong bitter. I thought it was disappointing myself and wouldn't seek it out again. Tried their stout, too, Fear of the Dark. That was disappointing. Lacked body and depth of flavour. Literally gave the remaining seven bottles to my girlfriend (she generally drinks lager and red wine but like to deviates from lager sometimes at the start of a night of partying).

Opeth's beer, through Northern Monk, was pretty disappointing, too. Problem with these band beers, I think, is they try to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

As for JP's bourbon, I suspect it's probably overpriced by about 400%. But they don't ship outside the US so I'll likely never know.

Wooooops! My bad, I was sure it was a red ale. It was a long while ago, so thanks for the correct info.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 11:00:09 PM by RMGadelha »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I would love to have a bottle, but $200 is too much for me to justify to my wife.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
My coworker collects whiskey so I asked him about this, he actually doesn't think it's a terrible price for collecting, but I'm not entirely sure if this holds value the same way your traditional whiskeys/scotches/bourbons gain value over time.  As in, I don't know if whiskey collectors care about the JP bottle.  My coworker didn't seem interested.

Offline Fritzinger

Don't forget that JP endorsed stuff to rub into your beard. I don't get the appeal of buying stuff like that. There's world class whiskeys out there for less money and a cool JP logo on a bottle doesn't make the whisky better. And the fact that JP likes Bourbon, beer and has a long beard doesn't change that.
MP on the other hand squeezes every little penny out of his well known name in another way and sells 13 year old hoodies for 100 bucks that were lying around somewhere in a cubbyhole because there were not sold before and are now labeled "very limited".
But if the stuff sells, who am I to tell them how to make their money  ;) I will buy their music on overpriced vinyl editions and that's it. Maybe one day a Majesty once I have enough money for one.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline goo-goo

Is the bottle signed or something?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I wanted to buy a bottle until I saw it was $200, gonna pass. I did recently buy a bottle of Metallica's whiskey "Blackened", that was pretty good whiskey.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Is the bottle signed or something?
I don't think so.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Volante99

Best “band beer” I ever got to try Serpensblod which was brewed in honor of Agalloch at the show I went to, made for them by a local brewery. It was awesome, and like 11% ABV so...after two pints of THAT I wisely chose a taxi cab home.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Not crossing that line.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll buy one and get it delivered to MP.

:lol

j/k