0 (0%)
Death Magnetic
3 (3.2%)
Hardwired... to Self-Destruct
2 (2.1%)
St Anger
5 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Author Topic: Favorite Metallica Album?  (Read 7818 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Favorite Metallica Album?
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2021, 02:17:28 PM »
By the way, count me among those who would LOVE to hear a solo album from James Hetfield. 

Especially if it featured NO ONE ELSE from Metallica

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2021, 02:18:46 PM »
Yeah, I honestly have zero use for anything they released after the black album.  So I don't know which songs are on which albums.  I just have no use for any of it.  Their thrash stuff is great though

The last two albums were a nice return to the style I prefer from Metallica

Some bands should just stay in their lane.  To me, Metallica is the quintessential example of a band that's only really good at one style: thrash

Shouldn't Black Album be included in the stuff you have no use for then? There's not much thrash on that at all

Well, no, I get that it's not very thrashy, but it's still a fairly good album.  I put it at or near the bottom of the pack, though. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2021, 02:20:47 PM »
I thought they did a great job with Turn The Page, and especially Whiskey In the Jar. I mean, they're from a cover album, which I suppose is only as good as the songs they cover. But they also covered Mercyful Fate, Rainbpow, Blue Oyster Cult...I forget who else.

And Whiskey In The Jar is freaking awesome, especially when played in Ireland!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MNdOCQYOL8
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2021, 04:07:50 PM »
Load and Garage are pretty much the only Metallica albums I ever play these days.

(I did do a couple days retrospective after watching Murder In The Front Row recently, tho, but won't be doing again in a hurry)

Sign me up for a Hetfield album
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2021, 04:10:44 PM »
I thought they did a great job with Turn The Page, and especially Whiskey In the Jar. I mean, they're from a cover album, which I suppose is only as good as the songs they cover. But they also covered Mercyful Fate, Rainbpow, Blue Oyster Cult...I forget who else.

And Whiskey In The Jar is freaking awesome, especially when played in Ireland!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MNdOCQYOL8

Rainbow???
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: May 05, 2021, 04:13:31 PM »
Wasn't the Ronnie Rising medley on that?
*checks*

Nope..carry on. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #146 on: May 05, 2021, 04:39:07 PM »
I have already done the mental exercise of imagining what my relationship with Metallica would be like if the band had remained forever as a purely Thrash band.

Considering that there are no exclusively Thrash bands that I really follow closely, it is quite likely that Metallica would be such a band for me.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #147 on: May 05, 2021, 04:52:16 PM »
I remember listening to a remixed cut of Some Kind of Monster a while back, and it was shortened, but the production reminded me more of their recent albums, and I thought it sounded WAYYY better than Stanger's production, and I think the drums sounded real. I'd check out the whole album if it had the more modern mix.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2021, 04:56:35 PM »
Also, poor Reload.

Online NoFred

« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2021, 06:48:58 PM »
Also, poor Reload.

Yeah, I bet those that rate it high picked Load in its place. Those 2 could have been a combined option.

AJFA for me, grew up with it and have never heard anything like it since.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #150 on: May 05, 2021, 06:55:41 PM »
Fact:

The Black Album > ...And Justice for All

:hat :hat

Offline jammindude

« Reply #151 on: May 05, 2021, 06:59:12 PM »
Fact:

The Black Album > ...And Justice for All

:hat :hat

Don’t Tread on Me would like a word.

What a dumb song. I’d rather listen to a 10hr Lulu marathon.

:angel: :xbones :yarr :metal
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #152 on: May 05, 2021, 07:01:18 PM »
Don't Tread On Me is great!  :metal :metal

For me, the magic in the Black Album is really found in the deep cuts.  Don't Tread On Me, The God That Failed, Of Wolf and Man and My Friend of Misery are all killer tunes.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #153 on: May 05, 2021, 07:03:22 PM »
Don't Tread On Me is great!  :metal :metal

For me, the magic in the Black Album is really found in the deep cuts.  Don't Tread On Me, The God That Failed, Of Wolf and Man and My Friend of Misery are all killer tunes.

Yeah, I agree. And Through The Never! :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #154 on: May 05, 2021, 07:05:25 PM »
And of course The Struggle Within. :metal

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #155 on: May 05, 2021, 08:35:02 PM »
I remember listening to a remixed cut of Some Kind of Monster a while back, and it was shortened, but the production reminded me more of their recent albums, and I thought it sounded WAYYY better than Stanger's production, and I think the drums sounded real. I'd check out the whole album if it had the more modern mix.

This is the Edit version found on the SKOM single from 2004. It's about four minutes and remixed. It's pretty awesome

Yeah, I bet those that rate it high picked Load in its place. Those 2 could have been a combined option.

Not for me. I chose Load because it's my favorite. Slightly bloated toward the end but has more GREAT songs than any other Metallica album. Until it Sleeps, Outlaw, Hero, Bleeding Me, King Nothing are all top tier songs. The lyrics on this album really speak to me. They've become "true" for me over the past few years. I see them in a different light now than when they came out, which make them more powerful for me personally. Absolutely love this album.

Reload, on the other hand, is good for about four songs then takes a huge drop in quality. Fixxxer at the end is great, Low Man is pretty good, and I like Bad Seed (which in no way am I saying it's a great song). Reload is probably dead last for me. Maybe St Anger.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #156 on: May 06, 2021, 12:09:19 AM »
Garage Inc is one of Metallica's best albums, period! It sounds great, and the songs  :heart

I remember having a holiday in Scotland with my first girlfriend, when I first got into the band. I exclusively listened to that album (as I'd just discovered it) for the entire week. I just fell in love. The Mercyful Fate medley is a particular highlight. I said it somewhere before but their 90s output was amazing, but because of Garage Inc and S&M, at least for me.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #157 on: May 06, 2021, 12:19:50 AM »
I assume it's down to "we know best" but a twenty minute EP of original bangers (no bloat and get someone to mix it who can make it sound like Garage) followed by an EP of new covers would excite me.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #158 on: May 06, 2021, 12:54:56 AM »

I disagree. Of all of the band's discography, I think that TBA has the least memorable deep cuts - not necessarily the worst, but the ones I feel least inclined to revesit.

Except MFOM. That song is so good. :metal
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #159 on: May 06, 2021, 01:02:34 AM »
Every single song on The Black Album is a banger, I love all of them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #160 on: May 06, 2021, 05:59:30 AM »

I disagree. Of all of the band's discography, I think that TBA has the least memorable deep cuts - not necessarily the worst, but the ones I feel least inclined to revesit.

Except MFOM. That song is so good. :metal

Well, the deep cuts from TBA was integral in making me a fan, so that is a factor here for me. I think I have told this story before, but here goes again: I never cared for Metallica except for Wherever I May Roam until the mid 90's, shortly before the release of Load.  But I kept hearing Enter Sandman at Blues hockey games (at the time, it was often used as songs over the arena during stoppages and commercials), and it kind of hit me finally like, "Okay, that is a good song," which I mentioned to my younger brother who had TBA on CD, and he proceeded to play for me Don't Tread On Me and the last four songs from the record (all five are deep cuts), all of which knocked my socks off and I became a fan that very day. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #161 on: May 06, 2021, 08:41:58 AM »
It'll be a country album anyway..

That's what I'm hoping for.  That's what I meant with "preconceived notions".    Lot's of acoustic guitars augmented with electric... sort of a modern day Lynyrd Skynyrd.   An album of "Tuesday's Gone"'s and "Simple Man"'s.   Seriously.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #162 on: May 06, 2021, 08:45:00 AM »
It'll be a country album anyway..

That's what I'm hoping for.  That's what I meant with "preconceived notions".    Lot's of acoustic guitars augmented with electric... sort of a modern day Lynyrd Skynyrd.   An album of "Tuesday's Gone"'s and "Simple Man"'s.   Seriously.

Stop turning me on!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #163 on: May 06, 2021, 08:46:33 AM »
"Gay for Hetfield"

Steel Panther's next hit

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2021, 08:51:54 AM »
None other than Nergal from Behemoth (black metal) did a country album as a side project.

Check how cool this song is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOZe8Ubfa3w

Something like that in Hetfield's style, with his dark lyrics and voice? OH YES.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Volante99

« Reply #165 on: May 06, 2021, 03:17:54 PM »
By the way, count me among those who would LOVE to hear a solo album from James Hetfield. 

Especially if it featured NO ONE ELSE from Metallica

Call me crazy but being that he writes all the music, and plays all the guitars minus (most of) the solos- I bet

Anyways, this is really hard- Ride the Lightning through the Black Album is probably the greatest 7 year run of any band this side of the Beatles. They’ve truly earned every penny they have. I would choose any of those albums as my favorite, just depends on the day.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #166 on: May 06, 2021, 03:29:18 PM »

Anyways, this is really hard- Ride the Lightning through the Black Album is probably the greatest 7 year run of any band this side of the Beatles. They’ve truly earned every penny they have. I would choose any of those albums as my favorite, just depends on the day.

Eh, I can't go nearly that far.  Yes, that 4-album run was great, but it was only 4 albums, and plenty of bands have had great 7-year runs and been far more prolific and with just as high a quality.  Granted, 4 albums in 7 years IS prolific for Metallica, giving that they have released a whopping 10 studio albums in nearly 40 years (stand back, everyone!!  :lol :lol), 11 if you want to count that monstrosity with Lou Reed, but it just doesn't stack up to other runs.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #167 on: May 06, 2021, 03:35:34 PM »
Iron Maiden 1981-1988 is the greatest seven years in the history of mankind.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #168 on: May 06, 2021, 03:42:07 PM »
Except that is 8 years, not 7.

And now that I think about it, Ride the Lightning through TBA is 8 years as well (1984-1991), not 7, so the fail is strong here. :lol

Offline Volante99

« Reply #169 on: May 06, 2021, 05:44:05 PM »

Eh, I can't go nearly that far.  Yes, that 4-album run was great, but it was only 4 albums, and plenty of bands have had great 7-year runs and been far more prolific and with just as high a quality.

I agree 4 albums in 7 years isn’t exactly prolific from an output standpoint, but who matches that run when you combine influence, sales, quality of music, growth, etc. If you include their literal non-stop touring in that time it ups their status even more.

So, I guess, sure there are bands who put out more “hits” in that amount of time, but when you look at that run as a whole package, you’re getting into rare territory...Beatles, Michael Jackson, maybe Zep, maybe Floyd (although both of those last two are debatable).

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #170 on: May 06, 2021, 10:30:11 PM »
So, I guess, sure there are bands who put out more “hits” in that amount of time, but when you look at that run as a whole package, you’re getting into rare territory...Beatles, Michael Jackson, maybe Zep, maybe Floyd (although both of those last two are debatable).
What's crazy is Michael Jackson didn't even tour for Thriller.  He played one show in 1983, spent over 2.5 years recording Bad and didn't do another concert until 1987.  Now, look at Metallica.  Puppets comes out in 1986.  They support the album with almost 150 shows in the next 2 years.  And, that's with taking time off due to Cliff's death.  Justice comes out in 1988 and they perform about 250 shows over the next 2 years.  They take off most of 1990 for some much-needed rest.  Then, they put out Metallica and proceed to tour it over the next 3 years with about 350 shows.  That's insane.

Sure, MJ had the hysteria of a Beatles or whatever boy band there's been in the past 40 years and obviously had the album sales.  His is also a much more accessible type of music.  Metallica write and record all their own material (MJ didn't even write 1/2 of the songs on Thriller), didn't have a music video for the first 5-6 years of their existence and tour like fucking lunatics in sold-out arenas worldwide.  James breaks his arm during one tour and gets set on fire during another tour.  They reschedule a bit, slap a cast on James and get John Marshall to play rhythm guitar.  Like 'em or not, for what they've put out and what goes on in their world, Metallica has got to be one of the most, if not THE, most prolific hard-rock/metal band of all-time.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2021, 06:21:24 AM »
I might be incorrect but I only think of prolific in terms of putting out albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2021, 06:32:42 AM »
Yep, prolific is not a word I would ever use to describe Metallica.  10 studio albums in nearly 40 years is prolific?  Not really.  Sure, if you want to throw in the covers, the Lulu debacle and S&M thing, we can fudge the numbers a little to make their case not so egregious, but there are tons of hard rock and metal bands who, while not as successful in the mainstream, have been far more prolific.  Hard-working? Given all of the touring they have done over the years, for sure, but just not a prolific band when it comes to the amount of new music they have written and recorded as a band on their own.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2021, 06:35:25 AM »
They were prolific up until the Black Album, and the five years gap with Load is forgiven by three years of touring. From Garage Inc onwards, the pace with studio album has been so slooooow.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2021, 07:44:02 AM »

What's crazy is Michael Jackson didn't even tour for Thriller.  He played one show in 1983, spent over 2.5 years recording Bad and didn't do another concert until 1987.  Now, look at Metallica.  Puppets comes out in 1986.  They support the album with almost 150 shows in the next 2 years.  And, that's with taking time off due to Cliff's death.  Justice comes out in 1988 and they perform about 250 shows over the next 2 years.  They take off most of 1990 for some much-needed rest.  Then, they put out Metallica and proceed to tour it over the next 3 years with about 350 shows.  That's insane.

AJFA went 8 Platinum in the USA. It was a huge seller. I'm surprised it has outsold Master of Puppets (6 Platinum) since it has only one HIT - One.