0 (0%)
Death Magnetic
3 (3.2%)
Hardwired... to Self-Destruct
2 (2.1%)
St Anger
5 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Author Topic: Favorite Metallica Album?  (Read 7817 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: Favorite Metallica Album?
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2021, 08:37:39 PM »
Death Magnetic is great, and I have never understood why it catches flack.

Hot mastering.

I don't disagree that sometimes they sound like what Load would have sounded like if they stayed metal after TBA. But they ain't ever going to sound like any of the first 4 albums. Just ain't happening.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2021, 08:43:19 PM »

Hot mastering.

I mean besides that. People mention they're trying to recall the old days on it. I think the songs are great.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2021, 08:48:18 PM »

I really like Death Magnetic. There is a sense in which it feels like them making the album they know the fans want instead of the album they want for the first time, but the songwriting just is where it needs to be. And not just All Nightmare Long, which is the one people always mention. The End of the Line is awesome, so is The Day That Never Comes, so is Cyanide... there's really not a weak song on there. What it might lack in raw creative passion, it makes up for in maturity.

Hardwired is the one I haven't gotten into so much, although I do need to give it more of a chance than I have.

If anyone has issues with DM because of the production (understandable), I recommend downloading the "Mastered for iTunes" version, which turns down the compression to tolerable levels.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline darkshade

« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2021, 08:52:26 PM »

Hot mastering.

I mean besides that. People mention they're trying to recall the old days on it. I think the songs are great.

I always thought DM was a great return to form. Hardwired is pretty good as well.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2021, 09:09:26 PM »
I actually prefer Hardwired to DM.

I can’t quite quantify why, but like someone said earlier, DM feels like they were *trying* to write what the fans wanted to hear, but it comes across as a bit of a rehash. Sortof “Metallica by the numbers”. And for some reason (to my ears) Hard Wired sounds more organic. Like they just found who they were and just wrote. It just sounds like they’re having more fun on Hard Wired.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2021, 09:26:24 PM »
I actually prefer Hardwired to DM.

I can’t quite quantify why, but like someone said earlier, DM feels like they were *trying* to write what the fans wanted to hear, but it comes across as a bit of a rehash. Sortof “Metallica by the numbers”. And for some reason (to my ears) Hard Wired sounds more organic. Like they just found who they were and just wrote. It just sounds like they’re having more fun on Hard Wired.
Yeah, that's pretty much dead on. Plus, SOtB is the best thing they've written in a very long time. That actually does sound like oldschool Metallica.

In any case, I've got to go with Master. It's what I grew up on and it left an indelible mark on me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2021, 11:16:35 PM »
Kirk argued for guitar solos but ultimately lost out. But he did argue against leaving them out.
It's funny reading interviews with him from the time saying he's totally proud of the album and when they tried to put in solos, it just sounded "like an afterthought."  Crazy!

There's a live version of Dirty Window (at least I think it's that one) somewhere that contains a guitar solo. If memory serves, it did indeed sound like an afterthought!

I have a soft spot for St Anger. As an album, it sort of reflects some of what was going on in my life at that time. I have to say I think it's probably a more interesting album than Reload, Death Magnetic and Hardwired. Feels genuinely authentic. And I even like James's occasionally dissonant vocals. But would I rate it off the bottom? I don't know.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2021, 11:37:50 PM »
Most of Kirk's leads sound like afterthoughts to be fair.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2021, 12:50:10 AM »
Most of Kirk's leads sound like afterthoughts to be fair.

Sad but true :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2021, 12:54:55 AM »
The Black Album. Justice, Puppets, and Lightning might be better, but I've always had TBA as my favourite. It was my introduction to the band (I was 10 years old when it was released), and it was the only Metallica album I listened to before I discovered their earlier stuff a few years later. So it may be a lot of nostalgia in my choice, but it also has a lot of great stuff on it. And I don't consider them being a "sell out" with that album at all. They had gone as far as they could with Justice, and now they wanted to streamline their music. Kudos to them for not wanting to do the same album over and over again.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2021, 07:04:43 AM »
Somebody takes a shit on a piece of paper and hangs it on a wall. Oh but it was the most SINCERE shit ever taken therefore it is ART.

Yes, actually. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2021, 07:57:32 AM »

All kidding aside, Death Magnetic and Hardwired...To Self Destruct are both great as far as I'm concerned. 

I've still never heard a single note of St. Anger, but it's in my listening queue now so I'll see what all the fuss is about

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2021, 09:54:28 AM »

All kidding aside, Death Magnetic and Hardwired...To Self Destruct are both great as far as I'm concerned. 

I've still never heard a single note of St. Anger, but it's in my listening queue now so I'll see what all the fuss is about

Agreed with your top line there. I LOVED Death Magnetic when it came out (mastering and all), and even now, ten years later, it sounds incredibly fresh to my ears.

Hardwired has 4 or 5 amazing songs, and a few that are kind of a slog to get through, but it's up there as well.

The potency of the band's late-career output is pretty astounding as far as I'm concerned.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2021, 10:49:34 AM »
 R T L
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2021, 02:03:52 PM »

For what it's worth, I thought the studio album was shit, just like everybody else. The bonus DVD that came along with it was them playing it live in their rehearsal studio, and it actually wasn't bad at all. Less clanging, and a little more jam atmosphere made a big difference.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2021, 02:15:43 PM »
Listened to St. Anger this morning just for shits and giggles. As much as I will admit it's far from their best album, it's not that bad. Yes most of the songs could do with trimming and James' lyrics are among the worst he's ever written (partly because he has written some fucking badass lyrics!) but come on.

So many people shit on this album but it's not that frigging bad. I for one have never personally been bothered by the snare. I count myself as lucky as I know some people can't get past that.

Comparing it to their 2000s studio albums, I'd rank Death Magnetic>St. Anger>Hardwired. I really love half of the songs on DM, the other half are quite forgettable. St. Anger has some great moments, amongst all the questionable bits. Hardwired does pretty much nothing for me. I've given it many listens since it was released and just can't get into it. If I had to pick a studio album to never listen to again, Hardwired would be it.

The potency of the band's late-career output is pretty astounding as far as I'm concerned.

I know it's old hat to compare Metallica with Megadeth, but if you compare both bands 2000s output then Metallica's is mediocre at best, whilst Megadeth's is truly astounding to me!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2021, 11:50:27 AM »
No, I'm listening now and I can definitely understand why this album generates the reactions it generates.  That's got to be easily the worst snare sound I have ever heard on a professionally produced studio recording.  What the hell were they thinking?  :facepalm:

I feel like this could have been such a better album with cooler mastering, a better snare sound and some fucking guitar solos.  I don't really listen to Metallica for thought-provoking lyrics so I don't care much about that end of it.  The production is strange, though because it comes in such close proximity to what I believe is their best-sounding album, sonically speaking. 

Such a squandered opportunity.

Agree that the songs could use some editing too. 

Most of the criticism I've read over the years about this album seems pretty valid after hearing it. 

Did they record this live in the studio?   Anyone?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2021, 12:01:23 PM »
I feel like with St. Anger they went for the nu metal grittiness of a Slipknot, but hey Korn are also quite big and they have a bit of an industrial touch almost, so let's make our album sound like Lars is beating oil drums in a factory, and also guitar solos aren't cool anymore because the current big metal bands aren't really doing them, so let's write 3 minute songs without solos but stretch them out to 7 minutes.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2021, 12:46:12 PM »
I feel like with St. Anger they went for the nu metal grittiness of a Slipknot, but hey Korn are also quite big and they have a bit of an industrial touch almost, so let's make our album sound like Lars is beating oil drums in a factory, and also guitar solos aren't cool anymore because the current big metal bands aren't really doing them, so let's write 3 minute songs without solos but stretch them out to 7 minutes.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

This may be over simplifying the snare decision, but the biggest metal band (arguably) at the time, literally had a percussionist who played an oil drum. I feel St Anger was the first studio album they had ever recorded, where they were on the back foot. Load and Reload hadn't been received as well as the Black Album, and there was a new trend in metal that was selling, and they were not at the forefront of it at all. This may have been the first time where they attempted to follow a current trend (that they maybe didn't fully get), which lead to the questionable choices they made. I personally can't help but think those choices were ultimately coming from Lars.

I guess when St Anger bombed they essentially became a band that played it safe abd stuck to what they know works for them. But imagine being a band that went from strength to strength on each subsequent release, culminating in Black Album! They were the biggest metal band on the planet, still are, and they just probably felt they could do no wrong.

To be faced with the fact that you'd lost your edge somewhere along the way, and were not what the kids in the early 00s were listening to, must have been pretty sobering.

I've said for years, all I want from James Hetfield now is a solo album. That would excite me more than anything I think the band could release at this point.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2021, 12:54:44 PM »
That's got to be easily the worst snare sound I have ever heard on a professionally produced studio recording.

*snip*

Agree that the songs could use some editing too. 

These two issues were fixed by a band that made a cover of the entire album, with a soundalike as singer, streamlining some of the songs and cutting the fat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h99nhdNnfm8

If you tolerate the album, I'd say this version is definitively worth checking. At the very least, St. Anger and The Unnamed Feeling.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2021, 01:09:53 PM »
I think the sloppiness and raw production is necessary for St. Anger. I think re-recording it much cleaner and much tighter defeats the purpose.

It’s hard to argue against editing it down though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2021, 01:17:04 PM »
I downloaded most of the live versions of the songs they've played from Live Metallica dot com. The songs are much better that way. But the back to back of Reload and St. Anger is really a giant black hole of shit in their discography.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2021, 01:19:08 PM »
I've said for years, all I want from James Hetfield now is a solo album. That would excite me more than anything I think the band could release at this point.

I'm with you on that; though I do have preconceived notions about it and my chances of being disappointed are therefore rather high.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2021, 01:20:53 PM »
It'll be a country album anyway..

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2021, 01:22:23 PM »
It'll be a country album anyway..

I can't stand country, yet I'd still be down for it!

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2021, 01:36:17 PM »

Frantic sounds like a System of a Down song. It's decent, the title track is passable and everything else just plain sucks.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2021, 01:40:39 PM »
I downloaded most of the live versions of the songs they've played from Live Metallica dot com. The songs are much better that way. But the back to back to back of Load, Reload and St. Anger is really a giant black hole of shit in their discography.

FTFY

Honestly, I now understand why most people have a negative view of St. Anger.  I heard a lot of potential but god the production is just swamp ass.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2021, 01:46:00 PM »
Believe me, I rank Load at #8 out of their 10 albums, but I think it has a certain amount of quality to it. It was kind of jarring when it came out, but it seemed to be a logical extension on TBA. Not the extension I was looking for, but I do respect it.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2021, 01:57:52 PM »
Yeah, I've got no use for it.  "Turn the page-ah"  "Whiskey in the Jarrr-oh"  :lol   Hard pass.  Metallica is a good thrash band.  As a band that plays whatever it is they were trying to play on Load and Reload, yeah, not so good.

But if you like it, that's cool man.  I tried to get into both of those albums but just hated all of it. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2021, 02:03:56 PM »
Yeah, I've got no use for it.  "Turn the page-ah"  "Whiskey in the Jarrr-oh"  :lol   Hard pass.  Metallica is a good thrash band.  As a band that plays whatever it is they were trying to play on Load and Reload, yeah, not so good.

But if you like it, that's cool man.  I tried to get into both of those albums but just hated all of it.

Funny enough neither Turn the Page or Whiskey in the Jar are on Load  ;)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2021, 02:07:22 PM »

Yeah, but they're from that era.  And I strongly disliked everything they were doing at that point. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2021, 02:10:51 PM »

Yeah, but they're from that era.  And I strongly disliked everything they were doing at that point. 
Those were cover songs on Garage Inc. which is pretty damn different.

I love Load, it's one of my favourite Metallica albums.

Garage Inc... eh, kind of fun I guess but not very interesting.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2021, 02:14:03 PM »

I actually quite like Load (and to a slightly lesser extent Reload) but I'm with you on those two songs. Whiskey in the Jar especially falls under that category of "I cant believe people like this" for me.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2021, 02:15:29 PM »
Yeah, I honestly have zero use for anything they released after the black album.  So I don't know which songs are on which albums.  I just have no use for any of it.  Their thrash stuff is great though

The last two albums were a nice return to the style I prefer from Metallica

Some bands should just stay in their lane.  To me, Metallica is the quintessential example of a band that's only really good at one style: thrash

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2021, 02:16:39 PM »
Yeah, I honestly have zero use for anything they released after the black album.  So I don't know which songs are on which albums.  I just have no use for any of it.  Their thrash stuff is great though

The last two albums were a nice return to the style I prefer from Metallica

Some bands should just stay in their lane.  To me, Metallica is the quintessential example of a band that's only really good at one style: thrash

Shouldn't Black Album be included in the stuff you have no use for then? There's not much thrash on that at all