Author Topic: Would society let me starve if I didn't wear a mask?  (Read 7681 times)

Offline darkshade

Would society let me starve if I didn't wear a mask?
« on: April 29, 2021, 05:34:05 PM »
Simple question. If I don't want to support food being delivered to my house and would rather support local businesses, but refuse to wear a mask inside grocery stores, restaurants, or convenient stores, does the United States society let me starve to death because wearing a mask is for "the good of society"?

I say yes, because a lot of Americans are apathetic, stupid and scaredy cats over everything. The US government allows the kinds of food to be sold that cause cancer, they also allow cigarettes to be sold to the general public, despite the common knowledge that they kill half a million Americans every single year.

I think this is more philosophical that political and I can't post in the political section anyway. Just a weird thought that popped into my head.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Would society let me starve if I didn't wear a mask?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 05:39:23 PM »
No. A whole lot of them would love to see it, but they'd be countered by an equal number of people who'd take care of you because you're their new hero.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 05:40:34 PM »
Would society let you starve? I have no idea. Why would you choose to starve?

I'm sure there's plenty of anti-mask folk that would love to take up a cause and get you food though. You'd be fine.

Would society let me starve if I refused to order in food and also refused to wear clothing? Probably.

I just wouldn't choose to starve I guess.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 05:43:54 PM »

I'm sure there's plenty of anti-mask folk that would love to take up a cause and get you food though. You'd be fine.

Would society let me starve if I refused to order in food and also refused to wear clothing? Probably.

If I did it and the situation went viral, wouldn't that inspire many more people to do the same?

Offline Adami

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 05:48:23 PM »

If I did it and the situation went viral, wouldn't that inspire many more people to do the same?

Eh, I dunno. You're basically doing a hunger strike. I think you need a rather big cause for that to rally a lot of sympathy. You'll get your Ted Nuget folk to back you up, but I can't imagine you'd cause some huge social movement or anything. I feel like most people are fine with having to wear a mask in a store for the time being. Plus the idea that you're literally choosing to starve by refusing to order food kind of takes some of the umph away from it. You know? Hunger strikes don't work as often as people may think, especially when your cause is "I don't like masks.." and there's no one who's job it is to take care of you (like a prison system).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 05:51:49 PM »
But essentially you’re asking would society allow you to choose to starve.

As Bart and I have said, some would support you but only if they already agree with you. The rest would just let you do your thing. It’d be an odd thing to choose.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 05:58:05 PM »
Here's my answer....

The homeless and bums.

Of course they'd let you starve, if not there'd be no homeless asking for food.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 06:12:01 PM »

Honestly most would either mock you or praise you from their couch. That's as far as we'd go.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline darkshade

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 06:30:40 PM »
Apparently you can tell store clerks that you had plastic surgery done to your face and they have to make an exception for you not wearing a mask.

BTW this is not about being pro-mask or anti-mask, or about the efficiency of masks for covid19, especially for a population that has not been educated on proper usage of masks and proper disposal of used masks, so we don't need to devolve into talking about queue people or neo-Marxists here.

So far, I guess the answer is, "yes".

Offline darkshade

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 06:33:44 PM »
Here's my answer....

The homeless and bums.

I thought about that, but no one cares about them, not even Academy Award attendees. We're talking if someone not homeless with money and internet access did this.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 06:34:21 PM »
BTW this is not about being pro-mask or anti-mask, or about the efficiency of masks for covid19, especially for a population that has not been educated on proper usage of masks and proper disposal of used masks, so we don't need to devolve into talking about queue people or neo-Marxists here.

What is this thread about?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 06:39:38 PM »

What is this thread about?

People in the US have more power than they realize, and won't use it. I'm asking is would a hunger strike cause a chain reaction on mask outlook or would society care less?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 06:51:56 PM »
I kind of don't understand the question, really.

I can't speak for anyone else, but if you go on social media or the news and say "I'm not wearing a mask, even if I starve!", I'm letting you follow your own path.  I'm not here to force you to eat, or force your behavior.  If you're of age, competent, and of sound mind, I'm going to honor your rights as a human being to make your own choices. 

Am I missing something?

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 06:59:43 PM »
Here's my answer....

The homeless and bums.

I thought about that, but no one cares about them, not even Academy Award attendees. We're talking if someone not homeless with money and internet access did this.

Then they'd starve. But most people are not heartless and will show some compassion. That is if that person is not an asshole all around. It all comes down to the character of the person and if people show that person compassion.

It's why people usually, go out and panhandle, because they use peoples emotional heartstrings by making them feel sympathy for being in the streets. I noticed a lot more of these type of people here where I live. And at times, instead of money, I've seen people give them food.

You wouldn't know anything about a person not being able to get food because of a mask....

But also, that depends on if the business actually cares enough. I know a few here that do not care at all. I seen people in businesses without masks and management does nothing about it. Even being helped, they don't bother telling people to mask up.

One story that a Restaurant Worker told me is...This man came into the store and realized he didn't have a mask. The worker told him, it's okay, and that they're not that concerned because you'll sit down and take it off anyways. Well, he was concerned so he went back to his ride, got his mask, came back inside, and told them..."Oh, I see you're empty, I just wanted to see if you guys were open." Then he walked out the door and left....I just said, ok, why did he even bother coming in if he was going to do that, he also already walked in without a mask, anyways.

Just thought I'd share that neat story from a worker at a restaurant that serves food.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 07:06:39 PM »
Apparently you can tell store clerks that you had plastic surgery done to your face and they have to make an exception for you not wearing a mask.

So far, I guess the answer is, "yes".
First off, there are any number or exceptions to the mask mandates.

Second off, yest it is about being pro- or anti-.

Third, so far the answer has been no. We all agree that other anti-maskers would take care of you.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline darkshade

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 07:17:44 PM »
Forget masks, how long until society makes it extremely hard to live without proof of SARS-CoV-2 vaccination?

Offline Skeever

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 07:17:56 PM »
You're a scaredy cat if you wear a mask but totally not if you're afraid of the little vaccine (the same one that all the senior citizens have already gotten by the way). That how this works?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 07:20:23 PM »
You're a scaredy cat if you wear a mask but totally not if you're afraid of the little vaccine (the same one that all the senior citizens have already gotten by the way). That how this works?

Some Americans are scared of loss of liberties in the US with a Constitution the country has. Just listen to Biden's speech from last night 4/28/2021

Some Americans are scared of experimental drugs without years-long testing being pushed on the public by VERY rich individuals.

That's not being a "scaredy cat".

Offline Skeever

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 07:22:54 PM »
Then don't get it, if you're that scared.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 07:24:23 PM »
Then don't get it, if you're that scared.

but what if you can't enter an establishment, can't renew your driver's license, can't work or go to school without taking a vaccine that isn't mandated?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 07:31:27 PM »
Then you make a decision.   Be homeless or get the vaccine.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline darkshade

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 07:35:56 PM »

So the CDC is wrong? "Most people who get sick from SARS-CoV-2 wear masks often." or however it's worded.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2021, 07:36:44 PM »

Which then relays into my Homeless and Bum response...

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2021, 07:41:54 PM »

Some Americans are scared of loss of liberties in the US with a Constitution the country has.
Then they presumably wouldn't have a problem with the government allowing you to starve yourself to death rather than force-feeding you. Mind you the right to off yourself has always been a thorny issue for the 'respect muh freedoms' crowd so if nothing else it'd be interesting to see how they'd react to your experiment. "I demand you keep this person alive against his will in the name of his fight for personal liberty and freedom of choice!"

Odd thread to be honest, I've taken a few passes at it and I'm still not completely sure what the question is.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2021, 07:44:28 PM »
My grandpa was at the atomic bomb testing site and sick the rest of his very long life from the radiation exposure (the LotR quote about Bilbo being "well preserved" fits him well).

Compared to other generations throughout history, mine has been asked to do very little in terms of civic duty or public sacrifice. So I got the shot, I'll accept the extremely marginal risk that something bad happens to me as a result because making sure this pandemic is not as deadly and lingering as other deadly pandemics this species has experienced is worth it to me. I also just want this whole thing to be over as soon as possible.

By the way, the vaccine might be new, but the risk associated with something you're putting in your body is probably way more common than you realize. If it's not the vaccine, it's the food, if it's not the food, it's the water, if it's not the water, it's the air. And so on. You could really go crazy thinking about it all and honestly you sound like you might be getting there. Maybe you should seek professional  mental help.

Offline Adami

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2021, 07:45:29 PM »

Some Americans are scared of loss of liberties in the US with a Constitution the country has.
Then they presumably wouldn't have a problem with the government allowing you to starve yourself to death rather than force-feeding you. Mind you the right to off yourself has always been a thorny issue for the 'respect muh freedoms' crowd so if nothing else it'd be interesting to see how they'd react to your experiment. "I demand you keep this person alive against his will in the name of his fight for personal liberty and freedom of choice!"

Odd thread to be honest, I've taken a few passes at it and I'm still not completely sure what the question is.

It’s an anti-mask/general response to covid thread. That’s all. The veil of a philosophical question is thin at best.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2021, 07:55:51 PM »
Yeah I figured that much from the off but it was the suggestion that this was a 'philosophical' question that threw me. So far all it's really made me ponder is IF - and it's a big if -a person were to actually starve himself to death as a protest against wearing masks, would I nominate him for the Darwin Award over the guy who blew his nuts right up through his skull while juggling live grenades? Right now I'm not sure, I need to mull it over a bit more.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2021, 08:03:23 PM »

So the CDC is wrong? "Most people who get sick from SARS-CoV-2 wear masks often." or however it's worded.

This isn't about the CDC. You asked about schools and food shopping which can still ask you to wear a mask in their establishments.   

I hate masks. I hope we get to a point we don't have to.  But if a place says to get in you must wear a mask, I will.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2021, 08:26:05 PM »
This is a weird thread.

Plenty of places allow you to go in without a mask even though they are "required." Target and Walmart do not enforce it. Both because they understand that some people are incapable of wearing one and because they don't want to cause a dangerous situation with angry people who refuse to wear one. Maybe there are some areas of the country where you literally can't enter any store without one, but that is not my experience here in a pretty pro mask area.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2021, 10:15:49 PM »
You could always grow your own food.  Why rely on anyone else at all?  And hey the CDC says you can be outside without a mask on, so win/win.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2021, 10:35:33 PM »
I feel like threads that probably belong in P/R keep finding their way into GD.

Here’s my take on the masks: even if the masks don’t help, they don’t hurt either so what’s the harm in wearing them?

As for the question at hand, I offer a counter-question: are you willing to starve for the sake of making a statement?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2021, 01:02:59 AM »
I hope that the next future disaster is gonna be acid rain, just to enjoy the marvellous show of seeing people whining and bitching about umbrellas and waterproof coats.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline emtee

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2021, 02:26:24 AM »
There's a nugget takeaway buried in this thread. Identification for the vaccinated vs non-vaccinated. What, if anything will it be? And depending on how long this pandemic lasts, the non-vaccinated may be shunned and prevented from a multitude of freedoms the vaccinated segment enjoys. "Show me your mark please. Ok, you can come in. Next! Where's your mark?...Get outta here! You're not allowed!"

**This post was exaggerated for effect**

Offline darkshade

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2021, 06:02:23 AM »
^ Sounds a lot like, "Your papers, please. Show me your papers."

Jews were called "diseased" in Germany in the lead up to the Holocaust.
https://perspectives.ushmm.org/item/jews-are-lice-they-cause-typhus

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2021, 06:39:40 AM »
I don't think that will happen with the government but I do think private businesses will do something like that for a time.