Author Topic: Your honest thoughts on Greta Thunberg?  (Read 9437 times)

Offline WildRanger

Your honest thoughts on Greta Thunberg?
« on: April 27, 2021, 06:20:53 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAJsdgTPJpU

This video has 69K likes and 47K dislikes, that means that Greta is polarizing among people, many people like/support her and also many people dislike her.
What are your views about this girl? Is she RIGHT or WRONG with her speeches and activities?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Your honest thoughts on Greta Thunberg?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 06:55:29 AM »
I'll bite; the problem for me is that the first minute of her speech (that's as far as I got) seemed more like an audition for a television show than a political/evironmental speech.   I tend toward the notion of "if you have to emotionally browbeat those you're talking to, then your factual/logical argument can't be that good to start with".  Not always true, and not true with climate change (more or less), but for me, this is just more of what I write about in the P/R thread a lot:  manipulation, coersion, bullying, not debate, discussion, and compromise.  If she was 35, we wouldn't know who she is.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 06:56:48 AM »
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 11:42:30 AM by Skeever »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 07:01:13 AM »
What are your views about this girl? Is she RIGHT or WRONG with her speeches and activities?

Her heart is in the right place. The word has a fever, humans don't seem to be bothered with wanting to cure it, and she's gonna inherit a shitty situation from "us adults". She's absolutely right to want someone to do something about our only home.

Does this make her right in everything she says and how she says it? d'uh, of course not. She's a teenager, she's not a goddess came to earth to save us from destruction. But still, taking so much to the heart a huge environmental issue and do something about it in first person, even with her difficulty in being in social situations, is very remarkable. How many of us at 16 were speaking at international conventions in a language different than ours?

Again, nothing of this means that we should create the position of "president of planet Earth" and give it to her, but she's a teenager that, rather than wanting to be a TikTok sensation, took concrete steps to sensibilize the world about a very real problem. I applaud her for even trying.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 07:38:04 AM »
I think she is a hero and very brave. I also don't think she needs to be mocked for her autism as some politicians have done but that's where we are today as a society.  :tdwn

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 08:04:34 AM »
Good intentions pave the way to hell.

I think there's a disconnect in terms of messaging.  Who is her audience and who is she "swaying"?  I feel like she's doing a lot of preaching to the choir here.   Those that are on board will praise her and laud her for her efforts - maybe even put her up as a moral standard - and those that aren't are going to dismiss her as a mouthpiece.

I'm already convinced of climate change - though I do have a fair number of problems with the typical solutions - and the notion that "even a CHILD understands!" is a hollow one for me.   She is, for better or worse, playing on fear, and that's ultimately a dangerous (not the right word, exactly) course to take.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 08:25:20 AM »
Me personally,  I get turned off when I see a child or a young person this passionate about something so serious.  I always leads me to my anger towards parents who can't let kids be kids.  I know that's on me but I can't help when I see the weight of the world on a young woman who should never have that weight on her at so young of an age. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 08:35:35 AM »
While he was, customarily, a total asshole about it, she might be the one area where DJT and I have common ground. You're only a teenager once, and she seems to be squandering the carefree invulnerability that comes along with it. She just strikes me as a girl who really needs to go to a party and get falling down drunk once. Go to a Fish show and get good and baked. Meet a guy (or gal) at a club and get laid. Recklessly crash a car doing something stupid on a dare. Anything to add some flavor to her youth and break away from the seriousness of it all. Climate change will still be a thing when she's 22, but the opportunity to be stupid and crazy with relative impunity won't.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 08:50:15 AM »
While he was, customarily, a total asshole about it, she might be the one area where DJT and I have common ground. You're only a teenager once, and she seems to be squandering the carefree invulnerability that comes along with it. She just strikes me as a girl who really needs to go to a party and get falling down drunk once. Go to a Fish show and get good and baked. Meet a guy (or gal) at a club and get laid. Recklessly crash a car doing something stupid on a dare. Anything to add some flavor to her youth and break away from the seriousness of it all. Climate change will still be a thing when she's 22, but the opportunity to be stupid and crazy with relative impunity won't.

Well, not that I follow her that much, but the times I stumbled upon posts from her she has a sense of humour, for example when she turned 18 she posted that she was finally breaking free from her puppeteers and that she would have revealed "all the truth", while wearing a "Mars is flat" t-shirt. Granted, that's more dorky / nerdy humour, but maybe she has some fun on the side, she just doesn't talk about it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 08:50:50 AM »
I'm with both King and El Barto.  It's a joke between my wife and I when we're watching TV:  I tell her "I fucking hate kids".  I don't; I have four of my own, but what I mean is what King and El Barto are saying.   Lighten the fuck up; I can't stand precocious, 'wise beyond their years' kids.   Home Alone is one of my least favorite movies of all time for that reason.    There are far too many people these days that spend five, eight years wishing, pretending they are 21, and then the next 50, 60 years trying to recreate 16 or 18.   

Sort of a tangent, but I give thanks almost every day that I grew up before social media.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 09:01:25 AM »
I feel like this probably belongs in the PR sub-forum.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Skeever

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 09:03:13 AM »
Me personally,  I get turned off when I see a child or a young person this passionate about something so serious.  I always leads me to my anger towards parents who can't let kids be kids.  I know that's on me but I can't help when I see the weight of the world on a young woman who should never have that weight on her at so young of an age.

Well, she's 18 now, and got started a few years ago.

I think perhaps you forget what being a kid is like.

I had several anxieties about the world around me by 12-13 years of age. One example: I was raised Catholic and when news of the scandals broke I became quite angry and vocal about it. Authorities at my Catholic school shut me down, completely. Didn't even want to talk about it. I felt blocked and just doubled own on my problems with religion. This continued for years and year, and it's still highly doubtful that I would raise my own kids in a similar environment now, which almost all stems from that initial experience.

Sure, kids are kids. But treating them like they're dumb doesn't help. Kids have anxieties about the world around them and have complex thoughts about justice and morality. Perhaps treating kids more like adults is the answer.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 09:07:12 AM »

Well, not that I follow her that much, but the times I stumbled upon posts from her she has a sense of humour, for example when she turned 18 she posted that she was finally breaking free from her puppeteers and that she would have revealed "all the truth", while wearing a "Mars is flat" t-shirt. Granted, that's more dorky / nerdy humour, but maybe she has some fun on the side, she just doesn't talk about it.
That was actually pretty cool.  :tup

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 09:09:37 AM »
I don't know enough about her childhood background to comment but I do know that I admire kids that know what they want at a young age and go out and get it. JP and JM practiced for 6 hours a so one could make similar comments about them.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 09:14:34 AM »

I had several anxieties about the world around me by 12-13 years of age. One example: I was raised Catholic and when news of the scandals broke I became quite angry and vocal about it. Authorities at my Catholic school shut me down, completely. Didn't even want to talk about it. I felt blocked and just doubled own on my problems with religion. This continued for years and year, and it's still highly doubtful that I would raise my own kids in a similar environment now, which almost all stems from that initial experience.

Sure, kids are kids. But treating them like they're dumb doesn't help. Kids have anxieties about the world around them and have complex thoughts about justice and morality. Perhaps treating kids more like adults is the answer.

I think your pressures were not about climate control but the normal things kids have to deal with, fitting in, finding one self's confidence.  There are already enough pressures s a teen to worry about these big, grown up responsibilities that we all have now. 

I miss my youth these days.  The pressure only gets amped up and is there all the time as an adult so kids should be kids.

Besides, like El Barto, I wasn't worrying about th ozone layer.  I was worried what to wear when I go to a party and this girl I had a crush on was going to be there.   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Skeever

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 09:27:47 AM »
I think your pressures were not about climate control but the normal things kids have to deal with, fitting in, finding one self's confidence.  There are already enough pressures s a teen to worry about these big, grown up responsibilities that we all have now. 

I miss my youth these days.  The pressure only gets amped up and is there all the time as an adult so kids should be kids.

Besides, like El Barto, I wasn't worrying about th ozone layer.  I was worried what to wear when I go to a party and this girl I had a crush on was going to be there.   :lol

Actually, I was very concerned about global warming and racial injustice when I was in grade school in the early 00s, but in the example I mentioned specially my pressures were around the pedophile cabal running my school and my church  :lol

But even in that case, teachers and parents shrugged it off, "don't worry about it, you're just a kid" or "it's just the media". Nothing could have been worse. It was the beginning of when I stopped being able to trust parents and teachers as authorities.

I'd be pretty surprised if, for those of us on a forum for heavy metal and prog bands, if being talked down to like that isn't a big part of why we wound up embracing certain subcultures that were more about taking their youthful fans seriously.

I just can't help but think we're going in the totally wrong direction these days. A kiddo a few years away from being eligible to killed by the Government for military service is certainly old enough to have a strong opinion on the world around him. But these days I meet other parents who don't even let their kids work part time once they turn 13-14, and then treat them like they're children until they're like 28. I suppose being aloof of the world until your life is almost half over is a privilege for some.

Not sure what this has to do with Greta anymore. I don't like her particularly, for some complicated reasons`. But her age has never had anything to do with.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 09:34:01 AM by Skeever »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 09:40:10 AM »
Well, just from my experience my parents were teaching me as a teen fiscal responsibility.  You want a car, he bought it all. A car, 1 year of insurance and my 1st tank of gas.  He then showed me how much this all cost in a year, what I needed to put away weekly and a bit more because the cost always goes up.  Told me if I didn't have the money to do this I would be out of luck.

I didn't learn that my uncle molested my cousin until I was in my 20's.  My parents kept that out of my life.  That's more of what I'm talking about.  Never did my dad stop me and start to tell me the gas wars in the last 70's and who was at fault for this.  If I asked he would have a sit down.  That's how it should be.  Grownups putting their grown up issues on children is bad for kids.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2021, 10:06:51 AM »
I just question how a teen was able to gain that high of a platform to be able to talk to the world about a major problem that Adults are trying to figure out how to solve...

Since people dismiss when Adults give their perspectives, what makes a child the highly sought out person about this...What gives her the credentials to be able to speak on something like this?

Having her speak just makes me think they are using her only as the...."Listen to this child, she is the future, and you need to listen to her....Won't somebody please think of the children."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2021, 10:15:23 AM »
My honest thoughts are that she, as a kid, recognizes there is a problem, and also recognizes that adults should be the ones working on that problem but they aren't, so she is saying so.

Seems fairly responsible to me.  Kudos.

Some of you just sound really, really old.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2021, 10:16:55 AM »
I admit it.  I am.  When you see such a angry, serious face from a young person it throws you off.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2021, 10:20:14 AM »
I just question how a teen was able to gain that high of a platform to be able to talk to the world about a major problem that Adults are trying to figure out how to solve...

Since people dismiss when Adults give their perspectives, what makes a child the highly sought out person about this...What gives her the credentials to be able to speak on something like this?

Having her speak just makes me think they are using her only as the...."Listen to this child, she is the future, and you need to listen to her....Won't somebody please think of the children."
Honestly, I think she was just the right face for the message. There's no doubt that the media made her who she is, but my hunch is that it probably came about organically. I don't think she was created in a laboratory as the perfect spokesperson for climate change. I think she felt strongly about this and started acting to advance her message, and the media simply decided she was better than Al Gore. The rest is history.

And it's not like she's the first kid to devote herself to a cause. My hunch is that the sciences are full of people who decided at 12 that they wanted to work with whales, or rockets, or cadavers. Same with the arts. I'm quite cool with that, and I've got no problem with Gretta doing what she's passionate about. I just feel bad for people who blow off their childhood in favor of adulthood. I think one day she may well regret it.
E.F. Benson

Offline emtee

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2021, 10:23:14 AM »
Steadfastly passionate and woefully unhappy.

I think she was taught and thusly believes that by the time she reaches 50 the world will be uninhabitable. Therefore, she views this as life and death. She needs to live and enjoy the gift of life. I don't think she will ever find the right balance.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2021, 10:30:51 AM »
And it's not like she's the first kid to devote herself to a cause. My hunch is that the sciences are full of people who decided at 12 that they wanted to work with whales, or rockets, or cadavers. Same with the arts. I'm quite cool with that, and I've got no problem with Gretta doing what she's passionate about. I just feel bad for people who blow off their childhood in favor of adulthood. I think one day she may well regret it.

As a guy that, for the most part, feels pretty darn miserable mentally in my childhood, I digress on the bolded.  I might be in the minority though with that mindset.  Then again, I didn't start really enjoying life as I know it until I was in community college at 20 and found the enjoyments of going to concerts, listening to stuff on radio more frequently, learning to realize that grades and tests aren't that life/death important in the grand scheme of life and learning how to collaborate with others on fun projects. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 10:40:42 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2021, 10:45:03 AM »

As a guy that, for the most part, feels pretty darn miserable mentally in my childhood, I digress on the bolded.  Then again, I didn't start really enjoying life as I know it until I was in community college at 20 and found the enjoyments of going to concerts, listening to stuff on radio more frequently, learning to realize that grades and tests aren't that life/death important in the grand scheme of life and learning how to collaborate with others on fun projects.  I might be in the minority though with that mindset.

It also depends on your upbringing.  What kind of environment were you in at home compared to going to college?  Reading up on Greta, it seems she herself dove into activism and her parents were worried with how she was handing herself with not eating ect...  She seems to be a very serious child at the time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2021, 10:57:44 AM »

I can't speak for anyone else, but I never once ever said to treat them like they are "dumb".   I had to raise a daughter through one particularly tough experience, one that will have a lasting impact on her (I don't mean to be cryptic; it just involves another person and I don't feel comfortable hanging them out to dry like that; it's not sexual or physical abuse or anything like that).   I never once ever treated her like she was "dumb", but on the same token she WASN'T an adult, she didn't quite have a handle on the complex adult emotions we were dealing with, and rather than make her the spokesperson for all that, I tried my best to make her feel heard - both directly and through therapy - and help her start to incorporate those feelings we all seem to get at some point to some degree or another that we're not the ONLY ones to ever have experienced this, and we're not the ONLY ones to feel that way. I'm not suggesting I did it all - or any of it - right, only that I did the best I could given my understanding and resources.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2021, 11:02:35 AM »

My beef is less with her personally than it is with those elevating her to some level of speciality.  Let's not beat around the bush:  when you think the other side - those that oppose your way of thinking - are stupid, ignorant and close-minded, there is a powerful implicit message in "and a child will lead them".   If you don't immediately see the messaging that "even this kid can understand this, so what's your excuse, dumb-ass", then you're not really paying attention to the way these dialogues historically go.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2021, 11:13:28 AM »
On the subject of whether or not she's happy, this is apparently the only time she's every actually been happy in life. She seems to have been one of those kids that simply needed something to believe in. Her father actually seems pretty level-headed, and while he's concerned that somebody's going to off her (and he's probably correct), he's happy that she found something that made her happy, even though he was initially not very supportive. I don't think it's saying a lot that she needed something so serious to finally find some enjoyment in life, but I can't really argue that it's better than remaining miserable and depressed. If adopting a cause and devoting your life to it is what gets you off, I can't really fault her for it even if it's totally not how I'd do it.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2021, 11:26:57 AM »
Being 31....It's only now where I am realizing about certain aspects of life, or more, these are being revealed to me by me living and experiencing that part of my life in order to actually see it.

That's what I really am talking about with listening to these children, yes we should listen to them, but at the same time. We need to give them that guidance that they do not yet understand and won't until they experience life.

I won't know anything about old age until I actually get there and experience it for myself, but I can understand on how it is by talking to the older people and seeing how they are feeling and learning what got them there in the first place.

Point being, even at the age we are, we don't know certain things. And listening to a child can help us also understand things that they are going to have to inherit from us, based on the decisions we made that they will have to deal with. Hence, living for the benefit of our future, the generations that will come after us, and what world they will inherit.

That is something we should be doing without the need of One Special Girl that spoke to people on the media. Just listen to your own children, and they will tell you the same exact thing as Greta, if they are also concerned about it, and being at the age Greta was given that platform to speak on the media, of course they will have concerns as that is when humans start to become Adults, although they are not there completely yet, they are still learning, and their minds and brains and bodies are still growing. There really is no set time when this stops because peoples bodies are different, some age fast and some age slow, but we all hit adulthood which is when we can understand fully the reality of the world.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 11:32:14 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Harmony

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2021, 11:28:59 AM »
I quite like her and admire her passion.  She's not neurotypical and I like that about her as well because she can serve as role model for others on the spectrum.

I like how she ruffles feathers.  When I see people attack her and put her down, I see more about their own issues than hers.

Even asking this question is interesting.  How many musical prodigies are there out there?  Math prodigies?  Athletic prodigies?  So many and not many people do anything but admire them for their skills.  But being a prodigy on a topic that is a political hot potato and suddenly she's something to be feared or mocked or ignored.

I will never understand the controversy around her.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2021, 11:31:50 AM »

My beef is less with her personally than it is with those elevating her to some level of speciality.  Let's not beat around the bush:  when you think the other side - those that oppose your way of thinking - are stupid, ignorant and close-minded, there is a powerful implicit message in "and a child will lead them".   If you don't immediately see the messaging that "even this kid can understand this, so what's your excuse, dumb-ass", then you're not really paying attention to the way these dialogues historically go.

That is mine too. I have no problem with Greta at all. It's more the ones whom gave her the platform and how they are using her and her message for their own benefits and narratives to get what they want. And they are using what you said with "You seriously can't understand, while this child does. Bro, you're a dumbass."

That's why I wonder how she got this kind of platform in the first place, and what made her the special child....

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2021, 11:40:23 AM »

That is mine too. I have no problem with Greta at all. It's more the ones whom gave her the platform and how they are using her and her message for their own benefits and narratives to get what they want. And they are using what you said with "You seriously can't understand, while this child does. Bro, you're a dumbass."

That's why I wonder how she got this kind of platform in the first place, and what made her the special child....

So you all think she's a product of manipulation being guided others? Am I reading that correctly?  ???

Offline Skeever

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2021, 11:41:40 AM »
Well, just from my experience my parents were teaching me as a teen fiscal responsibility.  You want a car, he bought it all. A car, 1 year of insurance and my 1st tank of gas.  He then showed me how much this all cost in a year, what I needed to put away weekly and a bit more because the cost always goes up.  Told me if I didn't have the money to do this I would be out of luck.

I didn't learn that my uncle molested my cousin until I was in my 20's.  My parents kept that out of my life.  That's more of what I'm talking about.  Never did my dad stop me and start to tell me the gas wars in the last 70's and who was at fault for this.  If I asked he would have a sit down.  That's how it should be.  Grownups putting their grown up issues on children is bad for kids.

It's the exact opposite. Grown ups putting adult problems on kids was Vietnam, which happened in the 70s, but I guess didn't resonate with suburban teenagers as much as I had thought it did initially.

With Greta, its kids putting adult problems on adults because of the adults don't seem to be listening or addressing them.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2021, 11:46:51 AM »
Reading into Greta it seemed to give her focus that she desperately needed.  That's good.  I'm thankful my mind wasn't filled with so much strife though as her.  Adulthood has plenty time for that.  My dad didn't tell me much about Nam.  He went to the reserves because i was born and he did not want to get drafted with a newborn even through he still could have been sent over.  I only found out in my teen years when I asked.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2021, 11:47:38 AM »

It's the exact opposite. Grown ups putting adult problems on kids was Vietnam, which happened in the 70s, but I guess didn't resonate with suburban teenagers as much as I had thought it did initially.

With Greta, its kids putting adult problems on adults because of the adults don't seem to be listening or addressing them.

Which goes back to the implication that "even a child can see this is fucked up", which in turn goes back to my problem with this.  It's NOT so simple even a child could see it.   It's a complicated, global phenomenon with many moving parts, not least of which, how do you solve a problem when not every country is in on the solution, or, as is the case in one country, in on ANY solution?

I get it we love our kids, but if the complaint is that "greed is destroying our planet" and yet the complete decimation of that global economy isn't enough to get those in control to move, are we really sure that one strident kid is going to do move the needle? 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2021, 11:53:25 AM »

I just learned last weekend at the age of 32 that my Great Uncle (dad's uncle) killed his son and then himself. Turns out the son had some kind of very severe mental retardation and his mother was long dead. My great uncle had some kind of dementia coming on, and said in his suicide note that killing his son was done in mercy. He's all the kid had and he was slowly losing his mind. He feared how his son (I think in his 40s at the time) would react to losing his father to either death or a permanent stay in a hospital. Times were different back then and I don't think the disabled had the support systems they have today in situations like that.