Poll

Which album do you prefer?

Your favorite from the Sammy era (5150, OU812, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge or Balance)
A Different Kind of Truth

Voting closes: February 05, 2027, 01:30:50 PM

Author Topic: Van Halen poll - Your favorite Sammy album vs A Different Kind of Truth  (Read 6445 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Van Halen poll - Your favorite Sammy album vs A Different Kind of Truth
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2021, 06:31:12 PM »
That's my least favorite Sammy album.

I think half the album is brilliant,  half bunk.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2021, 07:19:45 PM »
There is nothing on ...Carnal Knowledge that I outright dislike, but about half of it is average stuff I do not care much about.  Fortunately, it has some of my favorite songs of the Sammy era - Poundcake, Judgement Day, Pleasure Dome and Right Now - so it's still worthy on the strength of those songs alone.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2021, 07:40:49 PM »
There is nothing on ...Carnal Knowledge that I outright dislike, but about half of it is average stuff I do not care much about.  Fortunately, it has some of my favorite songs of the Sammy era - Poundcake, Judgement Day, Pleasure Dome and Right Now - so it's still worthy on the strength of those songs alone.

Right Now is the only Hagar-era song I actually enjoy and will listen to. Nothing against Sammy as he’s a great musician and by all accounts is a genuinely wonderful human being, but I just can’t vibe with Van Halen without Diamond Dave.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is my favorite VH album. So, there you go.

It's definitely the best Sammy album for me, and on some days the best VH record overall.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline HOF

The Dream is Over is way up there in terms of VH songs for me. I’ve also always really liked Standing on Top as just a fun, feel good rock song.

Offline Zoom E

I would've loved to had seen Raven back then. I remember them coming in 1983 with Metallica and Anthrax, but that was a club show and I was 14. ;D

I didn't see them on that tour, but I recall it was called the Kill Em All For One tour  :D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I would've loved to had seen Raven back then. I remember them coming in 1983 with Metallica and Anthrax, but that was a club show and I was 14. ;D

I didn't see them on that tour, but I recall it was called the Kill Em All For One tour  :D

Yes indeed it was.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

The Dream is Over is way up there in terms of VH songs for me. I’ve also always really liked Standing on Top as just a fun, feel good rock song.

I do like The Dream Is Over quite a bit. I should have mentioned that in my earlier post.  The drop-off is after that, although I kinda like Spanked.  Top of the World is okay, but just feels like the hooks don't quite stick to landing.

Offline HOF

I do like The Dream Is Over quite a bit. I should have mentioned that in my earlier post.  The drop-off is after that, although I kinda like Spanked.  Top of the World is okay, but just feels like the hooks don't quite stick to landing.

I also enjoy 316 for what it is. Just Eddie chilling and making a cool little guitar piece.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 06:32:27 AM by HOF »

Offline WildRanger

Van Halen:
- Fair Warning
- A Different Kind Of Truth
- Diver Down
- Van Halen

- Van Halen II
- Women and Children First (even though my favorite Roth song - In A Simple Rhyme - is on that record)

DD ahead of the debut? That's very controversial.

Offline cfmoran13

I'm thinking the 50 million times he's heard Running With The Devil and Jamie's Cryin' may have played into his rankings a little bit.  I'm more surprised to see ADKoT with a 55 year-old Roth at number 2.  But, then again, my favorite VH album is Women And Children First.  People like what they like.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I'm thinking the 50 million times he's heard Running With The Devil and Jamie's Cryin' may have played into his rankings a little bit.  I'm more surprised to see ADKoT with a 55 year-old Roth at number 2.  But, then again, my favorite VH album is Women And Children First.  People like what they like.

First, I LOVE ADKOT.  I think it's Roth's finest hour, especially lyrically.  That record is chock full of pretty aware and - I was going to say "deep", but that's not it. Clever, maybe? - turns of phrase.   I think this line - "Mousewife to momshell in the time it took to get that new tattoo" - is one of the best on the record.  Think about that; how many Karen's do you know that got that cheap tat and then thought they were now the cat's meow?  And I think coming from Roth, who hit the whole tattoo scene about as hard as you can hit it (going from no ink to full irezumi, including the full body panel with the chest opening, in a matter of months) I think there's a little mocking in there, which is quintessential Van Halen.   I also love the lyrics in Blood And Fire, especially the "Told ya I was comin' back (Told ya) Say you miss me (Say it) Say it like ya mean it, ahh say it" then the rippin' EVH solo.  I just think there's an added layer there that is the best of both worlds (Van Halen and Van Hagar).

Second, I know the Diver Down is a controversial pick, and to be honest, on any given day... but the high parts of DD are just so good to me, it's also the first VH album that was bough "in real time", that has become a special album.  Maybe unreasonably so. The only album that has no shot of ever being number one on the list is "Women And Children First". 

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape

First, I LOVE ADKOT.  I think it's Roth's finest hour, especially lyrically.  That record is chock full of pretty aware and - I was going to say "deep", but that's not it. Clever, maybe? - turns of phrase.   I think this line - "Mousewife to momshell in the time it took to get that new tattoo" - is one of the best on the record.  Think about that; how many Karen's do you know that got that cheap tat and then thought they were now the cat's meow?  And I think coming from Roth, who hit the whole tattoo scene about as hard as you can hit it (going from no ink to full irezumi, including the full body panel with the chest opening, in a matter of months) I think there's a little mocking in there, which is quintessential Van Halen.   I also love the lyrics in Blood And Fire, especially the "Told ya I was comin' back (Told ya) Say you miss me (Say it) Say it like ya mean it, ahh say it" then the rippin' EVH solo.  I just think there's an added layer there that is the best of both worlds (Van Halen and Van Hagar).

Second, I know the Diver Down is a controversial pick, and to be honest, on any given day... but the high parts of DD are just so good to me, it's also the first VH album that was bough "in real time", that has become a special album.  Maybe unreasonably so. The only album that has no shot of ever being number one on the list is "Women And Children First".

This right here. The thing with VH is, their catalog is so potent that when I'm really in the mood, and I'm listening to any one of, say, 5 of their albums (VH1, Fair Warning, 1984, 5150, ADKOT), I find myself thinking, "Man, this is the band at their peak."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

W&CF is a bit of an odd one for me in that I like everything on it, but I don't love anything on it to where I consider it essential.  It's an enjoyable listen, and slides in nicely in their early history, but there is nothing that makes me think, "Damn, this is freaking awesome."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Women And Children First is amazing.

W&CF is a bit of an odd one for me in that I like everything on it, but I don't love anything on it to where I consider it essential.  It's an enjoyable listen, and slides in nicely in their early history, but there is nothing that makes me think, "Damn, this is freaking awesome."

In A Simple Rhyme? Fools? Romeo Delight?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Good songs, I like them.  In fact, I like them all on that record! Mayday!! Mayday!!

Just not top tier tunes.  Favorite songs lists are ever-changing, but if I had to spit out a top 20 from the Roth years (counting the later stuff as well), the only two albums that would not get represented would be W&CF and Diver Down.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
In my DLR Era Top 20, Diver Down would be represented by The Full Bug and Little Guitars.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I do like Little Guitars a lot.  Probably the only VH original from DD I consider a keeper.

Offline jammindude

No love for Hang Em High?

I actually love DD. Yes, it’s a bit cover heavy, but that just shows how on fire they were. To think that their “least best” still produced an album that I could totally listen to from start to finish without skipping a thing.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
We are now at a point where every week there is an anniversary date for a great classic album, but it is worth noting that Fair Warning turned 40 last week. :eek :eek

This is now the thread where some of us feel old again. :lol :lol

Offline WildRanger

No love for Hang Em High?

I actually love DD. Yes, it’s a bit cover heavy, but that just shows how on fire they were. To think that their “least best” still produced an album that I could totally listen to from start to finish without skipping a thing.

Hang Em High rocks, but Diver Down is much less hard rock than their previous 4 albums.

Offline WildRanger

Everybody Wants Some(it has an incredibly good solo)? And the Cradle Will Rock?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
In A Simple Rhyme is easily in my top 20, maybe even No. 1.

Diver Down...  I'd have to think what makes the Top 20 (that's a HARD list) but the only songs I DON'T like are "Big Bad Bill" and I could do without "Happy Trails".  I love the covers.  I used to play "Where Have All The Good Times Gone" in my band, and both "Dancin'..." and "Pretty Woman" are legendary songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Here's a quick stab:

1. ...In A Simple Rhyme
2. Me Wise Magic
3. Sinner's Swing!
4. Blood And Fire
5. Panama
6. Little Guitars Intro/Little Guitars
7. Jamie's Cryin'
8. Beautiful Girls
9. Unchained
10. 1984/Jump
11. Big River
12. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
13. Women In Love
14. Dirty Movies
15. The Full Bug
16. Hear About It Later
17. Intruder/Pretty Woman
18. Feel Your Love
19. Light Up The Sky
20. The Trouble With Never

Offline WildRanger

Diver Down...  I'd have to think what makes the Top 20 (that's a HARD list) but the only songs I DON'T like are "Big Bad Bill" and I could do without "Happy Trails".  I love the covers.  I used to play "Where Have All The Good Times Gone" in my band, and both "Dancin'..." and "Pretty Woman" are legendary songs.

Do you dig Dancing in the Street by Bowie and Jagger?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Do you dig Dancing in the Street by Bowie and Jagger?

No, not really, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of either Bowie or solo Jagger (I like him in the Stones).  That whole song/video thing just seemed so contrived, if you ask me, and it turned me off to the whole affair.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Voted Sammy because 5150 is my favorite VH album.  A Different Kind of Truth is pretty good though.  I think it might land somewhere in the middle of my VH album rankings.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I'd have a hard time putting them in order, but I could spitball this top 20 with DRL on lead vocals:

Runnin' with the Devil
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
I'm the One
Atomic Punk
Little Dreamer
Outta Love Again
Light Up the Sky
Mean Street
Dirty Movies
Sinner's Swing!
Hear About It Later
Unchained
Jump
Panama
Drop Dead Legs
Hot for Teacher
I'll Wait
The Trouble with Never
Outta Space
Big River

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Chronological..

I'm The One
Atomic Punk
Ice Cream Man
Outta Love Again
Light Up The Sky
DOA
Fools
Romeo Delight
Sinner's Swing
In A Simple Rhyme
So This Is Live
The Full Bug
Little Guitars
Mean Street
Unchained
So This Is Love?
Top Jimmy
Drop Dead Legs
Hot For Teacher
Honeysweetiebabydoll

Online Trav86

I’m not going to attempt a Top 20, but I can tell you that the four original full songs on Diver Down would be there.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I'd have a hard time putting them in order, but I could spitball this top 20 with DRL on lead vocals:

Runnin' with the Devil
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
I'm the One
Atomic Punk
Little Dreamer
Outta Love Again
Light Up the Sky
Mean Street
Dirty Movies
Sinner's Swing!
Hear About It Later

Unchained
Jump
Panama
Drop Dead Legs
Hot for Teacher
I'll Wait
The Trouble with Never
Outta Space
Big River

I left off Mean Streets for space, but if you ask me, Side 1 of Fair Warning is probably the best single album side in the Van Halen catalogue.  Dark, edgy, a little angry, but still about the party.   "Aw right you sinners, swing!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

I left off Mean Streets for space, but if you ask me, Side 1 of Fair Warning is probably the best single album side in the Van Halen catalogue.  Dark, edgy, a little angry, but still about the party.   "Aw right you sinners, swing!"

Agreed.  It's not long (roughly 16 1/2 minutes), but you won't find many album sides as good or better on a rock album in the early 80's.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member

Right Now is the only Hagar-era song I actually enjoy and will listen to. Nothing against Sammy as he’s a great musician and by all accounts is a genuinely wonderful human being, but I just can’t vibe with Van Halen without Diamond Dave.

THIS ^
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline WildRanger

Runnin' with the Devil
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
I'm the One
Atomic Punk
Little Dreamer
Outta Love Again
Light Up the Sky
Mean Street
Dirty Movies
Sinner's Swing!
Hear About It Later
Unchained
Jump
Panama
Drop Dead Legs
Hot for Teacher
I'll Wait
The Trouble with Never
Outta Space
Big River

Chronological..

I'm The One
Atomic Punk
Ice Cream Man
Outta Love Again
Light Up The Sky
DOA
Fools
Romeo Delight
Sinner's Swing
In A Simple Rhyme
So This Is Live
The Full Bug
Little Guitars
Mean Street
Unchained
So This Is Love?
Top Jimmy
Drop Dead Legs
Hot For Teacher
Honeysweetiebabydoll

You guys love Outta Love Again? In my book it's the weakest link on VH II. I mean musically it's cool, but I find the vocals to be really lame and annoying, esp. the chorus is terrible (vocally).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 02:00:52 PM by WildRanger »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
WildRanger, only you could bring me and Kev together. :lol