Poll

Which album do you prefer?

Your favorite from the Sammy era (5150, OU812, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge or Balance)
A Different Kind of Truth

Voting closes: February 05, 2027, 01:30:50 PM

Author Topic: Van Halen poll - Your favorite Sammy album vs A Different Kind of Truth  (Read 6448 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Van Halen poll - Your favorite Sammy album vs A Different Kind of Truth
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2021, 07:55:01 PM »
Yes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2021, 07:56:35 PM »
Leslie West and the drummer. You could see they were bickering.   Then the drummer was throwing drum sticks off his cymbals aiming At Leslie West. So towards the end of Mississippi Queen (of all the songs to have this happen) Leslie took his guitar head and put it through his bass drum head. :lol

Wow.  :rollin :rollin :rollin.  Too bad that was back in 1944 when there were no cell phones, as video of that would have been awesome.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2021, 07:59:46 PM »
Tim made out back in those days.  He hid his camera in his junk and they thought he was hung.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2021, 08:08:03 PM »
I had special underwear. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2021, 08:51:14 PM »
Even Faster Pussycat was better than Kiss, eh?
I actually saw Faster Pussycat open for KISS.  It was Trixter/ Faster Pussycat/ KISS on the Revenge Tour in Roanoke, VA.  General admission on the floor.  I managed to push up to the barricade and got a Gene Simmons pick (along with a Trixter pick and a FP pick).  KISS put on an awesome show.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2021, 08:58:40 PM »
I actually saw Faster Pussycat open for KISS.  It was Trixter/ Faster Pussycat/ KISS on the Revenge Tour in Roanoke, VA.  General admission on the floor.  I managed to push up to the barricade and got a Gene Simmons pick (along with a Trixter pick and a FP pick).  KISS put on an awesome show.

I don't have it noted who opened for them when I saw them on that tour. It's probably the same bill you mentioned. That tour was amazing.

I saw them on their club tour before the actual tour and that was unbelievable. The opening band was a band called Shooting Gallery. Total Hollywood feel, but they were amazing, one of the best opening sets I've ever seen. It was the guitarist from Hanoi Rocks band. I just remember being fixated on their drummer. He was great.

I still listen to their album.
Restless
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2021, 09:09:32 PM »
I saw them on their club tour before the actual tour and that was unbelievable. The opening band was a band called Shooting Gallery. Total Hollywood feel, but they were amazing, one of the best opening sets I've ever seen. It was the guitarist from Hanoi Rocks band. I just remember being fixated on their drummer. He was great.
Restless
I didn't make it to any of those club shows,  I have videos of a number of them, though.  I would've loved to have made it to either the NYC or Brooklyn show.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2021, 09:57:45 PM »

So, now you've come full circle with those special disposable ones?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2021, 07:29:34 AM »

So, now you've come full circle with those special disposable ones?
ooooohhhhhh....
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2021, 08:50:31 AM »
Cinderella opened dates on both Eat 'Em And Smile (as did Tesla) and A Little Ain't Enough (with Extreme as a 3rd band).  Poison and Faster Pussycat were openers on Skyscraper.

Poison...I thought so. I think i could've been swayed to see the Skyscraper show if there was an opening band that I liked.

Faster Pussycat might literally be the worst band I ever saw live. Actually they were the second worst.

You hurt me.

It's relevant: one of the worst openers I've ever seen was for Van Halen on the OU812 tour.  It was a band called "Private Life" and they blew.   The only other one that was close was "Wang Chung" opening for The Cars.

Offline HOF

« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2021, 08:58:27 AM »
Cinderella opened dates on both Eat 'Em And Smile (as did Tesla) and A Little Ain't Enough (with Extreme as a 3rd band).  Poison and Faster Pussycat were openers on Skyscraper.

Poison...I thought so. I think i could've been swayed to see the Skyscraper show if there was an opening band that I liked.

Faster Pussycat might literally be the worst band I ever saw live. Actually they were the second worst.

You hurt me.

It's relevant: one of the worst openers I've ever seen was for Van Halen on the OU812 tour.  It was a band called "Private Life" and they blew.   The only other one that was close was "Wang Chung" opening for The Cars.

Heh, I was just checking out some Wang Chung songs the other day to see if there was anything worthwhile there besides “Everybody Have Fun Tonight,” which is a really great pop tune. Can’t say I found anything to latch onto.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2021, 09:02:41 AM »
That was one of the worst songs, too.  I like Jack Hues as a singer, but that song was hard to take.  The drummer had a small-ish kit, and he spent a good part of the song standing up clapping his hands over his head and hitting the bass drum.  God bless his stamina but he looked ridiculous.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2021, 09:36:05 AM »

I have a soft spot for Trixter...
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2021, 12:47:56 PM »

It's okay.  This forum is a safe place where anyone can confess anything without fear of judgment. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2021, 12:49:18 PM »
I saw Trixter open for Rik Emmett in 1991 in a small club in Providence. I could not believe how young they were.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2021, 02:33:01 PM »
This forum is a safe place where anyone can confess anything without fear of judgment.
Since when?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2021, 02:49:56 PM »
I saw Trixter open for Rik Emmett in 1991 in a small club in Providence. I could not believe how young they were.
I remember going to a bar in Central NJ for my sister-in-law's 30th birthday about 10 years ago and the Steve Brown Trio was playing in the corner playing cover tunes all night.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2021, 02:51:25 PM »
Is Steve Brown a Trixter member?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2021, 03:08:38 PM »
Yes.  He's the banjo player, as Ian Gillan would say.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2021, 03:39:33 PM »
The worst live act I ever saw was Jesse Camp's band. he was an MTV VJ in the 90's. I saw him open for Alice Cooper in Atlantic City in 1999. It was the absolute worst . A disgrace.

..and then followed by Faster Pussycat.

Worst live act...hmmm...

I fortunately dodged the Faster Pussycat bullet.

My initial reaction was to say either Vinnie Vincent Invasion (opening for Maiden on the SIT tour in Feb. 1987) or LA Guns (again opening for Maiden on the SSOASS tour in June 1988).  I flipped off Mark Slaughter, and he saw me and returned the favor (we had a real connection).  I can't actually remember LA Guns, so it's possible that we didn't go to inside the building until they were done.

But then I remembered that I was subjected to Tori Amos in August 1994.  I "had to" go because my girlfriend (now wife) liked her.  AWFUL show...at least for me.  Not only could I not stand her, but she exacerbated the headache that I started the night with.

The real answer is probably some crappy Sunset Strip band that no one's ever heard of, but I don't remember any of them by name, so I'm going with Tori.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2021, 07:29:01 PM »

It's okay.  This forum is a safe place where anyone can confess anything without fear of judgment.

LOL   Thanks Boss..    :D :tup
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2021, 07:31:29 PM »
The worst live act I ever saw was Jesse Camp's band. he was an MTV VJ in the 90's. I saw him open for Alice Cooper in Atlantic City in 1999. It was the absolute worst . A disgrace.

Worst live act...hmmm...

My initial reaction was to say either Vinnie Vincent Invasion (opening for Maiden on the SIT tour in Feb. 1987) or LA Guns (again opening for Maiden on the SSOASS tour in June 1988).  I flipped off Mark Slaughter, and he saw me and returned the favor (we had a real connection).  I can't actually remember LA Guns, so it's possible that we didn't go to inside the building until they were done.

But then I remembered that I was subjected to Tori Amos in August 1994.  I "had to" go because my girlfriend (now wife) liked her.  AWFUL show...at least for me.  Not only could I not stand her, but she exacerbated the headache that I started the night with.

The real answer is probably some crappy Sunset Strip band that no one's ever heard of, but I don't remember any of them by name, so I'm going with Tori.

great read   makes me think,....I saw Raven  ,,,, I did laugh  but sonically ROUGH   LOL 

Faster Pussycat was like YES  compared to Raven,,,   they didnt try

GEEZUS   This was the big tune ... but the stage antics were funny..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh8XGJsHZC4

« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 07:41:40 PM by EPICVIEW »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2021, 07:35:54 PM »

Worst live act...hmmm...

I saw the Vinnie Vincent Invasion open for Alice Cooper in November '86. I thought they were fine. Word was that Vinnie was sick, but they came out and played 3 songs anyway.

We got Frehley's Comet on the SSOASS tour in July of '88.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2021, 07:30:31 AM »
Is Steve Brown a Trixter member?
Yes.  He's the guitarist.  On occasion, he has filled in for both Phil Collen and Vivian Campbell from Def Leppard.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2021, 08:39:29 AM »
I feel kind of lucky.  I've never seen a live act/opener that I thought just sucked.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2021, 08:40:46 AM »

I saw Faster Pussycat opening for Motley Crue (Dr. Feelgood tour), and quite enjoyed their set.

In general, I've been pretty happy with the various opening bands I've seen.  The only ones I can recall not enjoying were The Tea Party (opening for Queensryche), Jaden Smith, and Blackbear (the latter 2 opening for Fall Out Boy).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2021, 09:46:07 AM »

I saw the Vinnie Vincent Invasion open for Alice Cooper in November '86. I thought they were fine. Word was that Vinnie was sick, but they came out and played 3 songs anyway.

With a better singer, they might have been better (certainly at least tolerable).  Slaughter's voice was like nails on a chalkboard.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2021, 10:56:18 AM »

With a better singer, they might have been better (certainly at least tolerable).  Slaughter's voice was like nails on a chalkboard.

His voice was better than Fleischman's.  I can't listen to that 1st album at all because of his voice.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2021, 12:31:32 PM »
I'd take the first album all day every day over the Slaughter crap.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2021, 12:53:33 PM »
I'd take the first album all day every day over the Slaughter crap.

Music is good.  Roberts voice makes me want to rip my ears out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2021, 01:01:39 PM »
Twisted is awesome. I played that on my radio show all the time.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2021, 01:15:38 PM »
Am I allowed to say I love them all? I seriously do. I have no preference here. VH are (were) VH given Ed and Al were present IMHO.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2021, 02:33:42 PM »

Worst live act...hmmm...

great read   makes me think,....I saw Raven  ,,,, I did laugh  but sonically ROUGH   LOL 

Faster Pussycat was like YES  compared to Raven,,,   they didnt try

GEEZUS   This was the big tune ... but the stage antics were funny..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh8XGJsHZC4

Raven were great when I saw them as a headliner in 1985, though they did wear some silly outfits  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2021, 03:29:55 PM »
I would've loved to had seen Raven back then. I remember them coming in 1983 with Metallica and Anthrax, but that was a club show and I was 14. ;D

Offline Trav86

« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2021, 06:23:16 PM »
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is my favorite VH album. So, there you go.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?