Poll

Which album do you prefer?

Your favorite from the Sammy era (5150, OU812, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge or Balance)
A Different Kind of Truth

Voting closes: February 05, 2027, 01:30:50 PM

Author Topic: Van Halen poll - Your favorite Sammy album vs A Different Kind of Truth  (Read 6446 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: Van Halen poll - Your favorite Sammy album vs A Different Kind of Truth
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2021, 11:07:02 AM »
but I always felt like they did nothing after F.U.C.K.
Most men don't...

LOL   yup lol
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2021, 11:21:22 AM »
ANY Sammy album is much better than ADKOT.

I have always been really turned off that Van Halen used old demos from the 1970's and put them out as "new" music with DLR on that album.  I just can't get past what I feel to be a very contrived nature of wanting the record to sound like classic Van Halen to the point of reusing 40 year old material.

They did that their entire career, including during the Sam era.  Rumor is there's a version of Summer Nights with Roth on vocals in the vaults, at least one possibly two others from 5150 were in place before Sam got there.  Top Of The World, Right Now, and 316 both predate the Hagar era.   The Seventh Seal and Take Me Back from Balance both predate the band entirely.   Less than half of ADKOT is actually "old demos", and much (not all) of the old stuff was rearranged with new pieces by Wolfie.  (And as an aside, the Used Bin Radio guys did an "A-B" thing with the record when it first came out and Roth sang all those old songs in the original keys.  I find that to be impressive.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 11:42:56 AM by Stadler »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2021, 11:21:41 AM »
I think Balance would win for me. That guitar tone is godly.
FUCK would be next.
ADKoT
OU812

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2021, 11:26:58 AM »
I love Sammy   I saw him in 1978   loved him in Motrose etc  BUT  in VH to me IMO it never felt right ever. 
for that reason a ADKOT  wins

What’s funny is I’ve never cared for Sammy’s music outside of VH. I think he was great for VH, but he needed to be paired with Eddy to be interesting to me.

I can understand that as Sammy after Montrose really was just a "rock and roller"  his live shows back in the late 70s were a lot of fun he was the Red Rocker,  his songs I agree are just sorta "meh"  but he had a great attitude and fun on stage,  I had  a Trans Am so I had to be a fan LOL

Interestingly, to me, Standing Hampton and Three Lock Box are better than anything he did in Van Halen, and I LIKE what he did in Van Halen.   But those two records are so good, and have such good memories for me from that time, especially the first one.

Van Hagar:

- Balance
- OU812
- F.U.C.K.

Van Halen:
- Fair Warning
- A Different Kind Of Truth
- Diver Down
- Van Halen
- Van Halen II
- Women and Children First (even though my favorite Roth song - In A Simple Rhyme - is on that record)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2021, 11:35:32 AM »
I think ADKoT would be bottom of the Roth era tbh.

Fair Warning

I

W£CF

Diver Down

II

ADKoT

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2021, 11:50:50 AM »

I have always been really turned off that Van Halen used old demos from the 1970's and put them out as "new" music with DLR on that album.  I just can't get past what I feel to be a very contrived nature of wanting the record to sound like classic Van Halen to the point of reusing 40 year old material.

They did that their entire career, including during the Sam era.  Rumor is there's a version of Summer Nights with Roth on vocals in the vaults, at least one possibly two others from 5150 were in place before Sam got there.  Top Of The World, Right Now, and 316 both predate the Hagar era.   The Seventh Seal and Take Me Back from Balance both predate the band entirely.   Less than half of ADKOT is actually "old demos", and much (not all) of the old stuff was rearranged with new pieces by Wolfie.  (And as an aside, the Used Bin Radio guys did an "A-B" thing with the record when it first came out and Roth sang all those old songs in the original keys.  I find that to be impressive.)

True but the difference is that the Sammy era actually made quality music out of the ideas that they had with Roth at the time. I think they even tried a version of Right Now with Roth but Roth could never help finish that song. Impossible! Yes, ADKT was spear-headed by Wolfie but I'm sorry, there's a reason why the demos should have remained demos. But hey, at least we got Ice Cream Man part deux......

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2021, 12:00:31 PM »
Van Hagar:

- Balance
- OU812
- F.U.C.K.

Van Halen:
- Fair Warning
- Van Halen
- Van Halen II
- Women and Children First (even though my favorite Roth song - In A Simple Rhyme - is on that record)
- A Different Kind Of Truth
- Diver Down
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2021, 12:36:40 PM »

True but the difference is that the Sammy era actually made quality music out of the ideas that they had with Roth at the time. I think they even tried a version of Right Now with Roth but Roth could never help finish that song. Impossible! Yes, ADKT was spear-headed by Wolfie but I'm sorry, there's a reason why the demos should have remained demos. But hey, at least we got Ice Cream Man part deux......

I guess it's the clash of opinions, then.  I think ADKOT WAS the quality music made from those demos.  There were other songs - Can't Get This Stuff No More and Me Wise Magic - where Roth DID finish them (the latter is one of my favorite Van Halen songs ever).   

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2021, 12:46:20 PM »

I guess it's the clash of opinions, then.  I think ADKOT WAS the quality music made from those demos.  There were other songs - Can't Get This Stuff No More and Me Wise Magic - where Roth DID finish them (the latter is one of my favorite Van Halen songs ever).

'Me Wise Magic' is a top-10 VH song for me easy, and ADKOT would probably rank in my top-5—behind VH1, Fair Warning, 5105, and 1984—so I totally agree with you there.

As far as I'm concerned, re-visited demos or not, the combination of that slammin' production and those fantastic songs makes for an amazing listen all the way through. Beyond bummed the album was a 'one-off.'

Offline HOF

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2021, 12:56:07 PM »

'Me Wise Magic' is a top-10 VH song for me easy, and ADKOT would probably rank in my top-5—behind VH1, Fair Warning, 5105, and 1984—so I totally agree with you there.

As far as I'm concerned, re-visited demos or not, the combination of that slammin' production and those fantastic songs makes for an amazing listen all the way through. Beyond bummed the album was a 'one-off.'

I too really liked Me Wise Magic. I always thought the overall sound of VH in the 90s was really cool (including the Cherone album).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2021, 05:52:43 PM »

But it wasn't the same.   I've written about this before.   VH with Sam was a rock band.  I have all the albums, they're good, but they're a rock band, albeit one with a pretty good guitar player.     VH with Roth was a thing unto himself.   Maybe it was my East Coast upbringing, but Van Halen were Gods among men, very similar to the way Kiss was in the early days.   It's not a coincidence or a random thing that the grunge movement was predicated on simply walking on stage in your street clothes.    There was nothing about David Lee Roth that was "street clothes" in any sense of the word.   I know as a young kid picking up a guitar, I could plunk out Smoke On The Water.  Or Detroit Rock City.  As I got better later, I could even play those songs all the way through, and make them pass.  To this day, I can play snippets of Van Halen, but I don't, because I don't have that attitude, that swagger, that punk.  They were one of the few bands - the VERY few bands - that appealed equally to men and women; the guys all wanted to be Dave and Ed, and the girls all wanted to be WITH Dave and Ed.   

I was at a party once in Brigantine New Jersey, and the dude had set up his stereo with one speaker on each side of the room.  The early Van Halen was panned really wierd, so you could walk to one side of the room and hear almost an isolated guitar track and walk to the other side of the room and it was a working dialogue from the Master Of Ceremonies, David Lee Roth.  It's hard to talk about becuase that SOUNDS absolutely horrendous, and it was in a sense, but it was so illuminating, because you sort of got this "essence" of Van Halen that couldn't be duplicated.   

I get all of this.  That original run felt like lightning in a bottle, and I can only imagine what it was like for fans to experience that in real time (I was unfamiliar with the band until I heard Jump in early '84).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2021, 05:58:59 PM »

I too really liked Me Wise Magic. I always thought the overall sound of VH in the 90s was really cool (including the Cherone album).

Me too.  They were starting to stretch out a little but musically, and even if a lot of the arrangements on the Cherone album were clunky, I liked that they were trying something different, even if most considered it a massive failure. Roth usually gets pegged as a guy who can only sing on certain types of songs, and, sure, he could never pull off songs like Dreams or Right now, but the two new songs in '96 were unlike anything they had done in his initial run and his voice was just fine in both.  On ADKoT, there are many times where you can tell his voice is teetering on the edge of the cliff, and I imagine it took many takes to get those out of him, but they are solid enough to where they are not a detriment.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2021, 07:01:32 PM »
I can only imagine what it was like for fans to experience that in real time (I was unfamiliar with the band until I heard Jump in early '84).

I can actually remember the release of Fair Warning. (Which will be FORTY YEARS old this Thursday!). I was 12 1/2. But I already had all of their um..8 tracks. lol. I did see them in 1984. I was 15 1/2.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2021, 07:19:30 PM »
So close, you could smell DLR's butt sweat oozing out of those assless chaps, eh? :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2021, 07:29:37 PM »
Not that show, no. We were way back on the floor.

Funny story. VH played two nights in Providence..March 17 & 18. I saw the show on the 18th. The Lovely Mrs TAC actually went to the show on the 17th. Obviously I did not know her then. I was 15 and she was 20. :lol

I did get right into the front row for the Eat 'Em And Smile show. That was amazing. Unfortunately I did not have my camera.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2021, 07:32:46 PM »
He had a killer band, so I am sure that was good stuff.  I still remember seemingly half the kids at high school wearing concert T's from the Skyscraper tour the day after he was here in '88-ish.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2021, 07:37:38 PM »
I actually skipped the Skyscraper album and tour. Not sure why. I did see the Little Ain't Enough tour in 1991, and then I saw him at Avalon, in Boston in 1994. That was freaking awesome!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2021, 07:39:06 PM »
I actually skipped the Skyscraper album and tour. Not sure why. I did see the Little Ain't Enough tour in 1991, and then I saw him at Avalon, in Boston in 1994. That was freaking awesome!

Probably too occupied with Hold Your Fire still. ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2021, 07:56:26 PM »
Hah..I had fallen out of touch with Rush in the Mid 80's, tough I did see the PW tour. Anyway, Rush played in Worcester in late 1987, and a buddy of mine from college and I decided to go see them just for something to do. Michael Schenker opened so I was cool with that. We were pretty baked, but Rush put on such a great show. So much more energetic than the PW show.
That show got me totally back into Rush, so that when Presto was released I was primed for it.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2021, 01:42:50 AM »
Gotta go with Van Hagar but I’m one of those weirdos that loves both eras of the band.

I know it was a huge hit in it’s day but 5150 seems to be criminally under appreciated by the fans in 2021- that album is quality front to back and still has some of that early Van Halen energy.

A Different Kind of Truth sounds like what it is- a tired band dusting off a bunch of demos that didn’t make the cut in the Roth era. Blood and Fire is a banger, though, that captures some of the old magic.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2021, 10:15:59 AM »
Eat 'Em And Smile was literally everything you could ask for in a rock and roll show.   Flash?  Yep!   Guitar virtuosity?  Yep!   Spectacle?  Yep!  Rockin' anthems?  Yep!   Killer opening band no one had heard of (Cinderella)?  Yep!  It was like the mullet of rock and roll.   :)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2021, 11:03:00 AM »
ADKoT. I will never acknowledge Van Halen without Roth.

Yeah, maybe not quite that extreme for me but pretty close.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2021, 01:39:45 PM »
Eat 'Em And Smile was literally everything you could ask for in a rock and roll show.   Flash?  Yep!   Guitar virtuosity?  Yep!   Spectacle?  Yep!  Rockin' anthems?  Yep!   Killer opening band no one had heard of (Cinderella)?  Yep!  It was like the mullet of rock and roll.   :)

I saw him in January of 1986 and Tesla opened.

Cinderella went out with Bon Jovi during this time.

I think Cinderella may have opened the Skyscraper tour. I did see Cinderella open for him in 1991.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2021, 05:05:08 PM »
Cinderella opened dates on both Eat 'Em And Smile (as did Tesla) and A Little Ain't Enough (with Extreme as a 3rd band).  Poison and Faster Pussycat were openers on Skyscraper.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2021, 05:49:31 PM »
Cinderella opened dates on both Eat 'Em And Smile (as did Tesla) and A Little Ain't Enough (with Extreme as a 3rd band).  Poison and Faster Pussycat were openers on Skyscraper.

Poison...I thought so. I think i could've been swayed to see the Skyscraper show if there was an opening band that I liked.

Faster Pussycat might literally be the worst band I ever saw live. Actually they were the second worst.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2021, 06:58:28 PM »

Poison...I thought so. I think i could've been swayed to see the Skyscraper show if there was an opening band that I liked.

Faster Pussycat might literally be the worst band I ever saw live. Actually they were the second worst.

Even Faster Pussycat was better than Kiss, eh?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2021, 07:16:10 PM »
The worst live act I ever saw was Jesse Camp's band. he was an MTV VJ in the 90's. I saw him open for Alice Cooper in Atlantic City in 1999. It was the absolute worst . A disgrace.

..and then followed by Faster Pussycat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2021, 07:18:03 PM »
Never heard of him, so I cannot opine.  I honestly have no idea who is the worst band I have seen. I have definitely seen my fair share of (to be nice) unimpressive opening acts, but there is no way I could differentiate them enough to call any single one out as the worst. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2021, 07:45:07 PM »
The worst live act I ever saw was Jesse Camp's band. he was an MTV VJ in the 90's. I saw him open for Alice Cooper in Atlantic City in 1999. It was the absolute worst . A disgrace.

..and then followed by Faster Pussycat.

Wasn't he that scarecrow of a kid that talked like he was drunk?  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2021, 07:46:44 PM »
Joe, it was so bad, I can't even tell you.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2021, 07:48:20 PM »
Mountain opening for Triumph was the worst opener ever that I saw. They got in a fight on stage.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2021, 07:49:12 PM »
Mountain opening for Triumph was the worst opener ever that I saw. They got in a fight on stage.

Wait, what, HOW?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2021, 07:51:33 PM »

I remember Mountain opening, but I don't really remember them.

BTO opening the 5150 show wasn't great either.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2021, 07:52:55 PM »
Leslie West and the drummer. You could see they were bickering.   Then the drummer was throwing drum sticks off his cymbals aiming At Leslie West. So towards the end of Mississippi Queen (of all the songs to have this happen) Leslie took his guitar head and put it through his bass drum head. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2021, 07:53:47 PM »
Was that in Worcester?