Author Topic: Why isn't Alex Lifeson more highly regarded as a guitarist?  (Read 7813 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Why isn't Alex Lifeson more highly regarded as a guitarist?
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2021, 07:56:40 PM »
Tim paraphrasing a lyric from Hold Your Fire may very well cause one of those paradoxes that Doc Brown always feared.  Let's hope the earth does not implode in the next 24 hours.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2021, 08:01:35 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2021, 08:02:37 PM »
Oh shit, a pop culture reference that Tim got.

We are doomed.

:lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2021, 08:09:12 PM »
I'm killing it tonight! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2021, 08:10:08 PM »
And we will all pay the price.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2021, 08:12:49 PM »
But you will not count the cost.*

*@ytserush...that's called artistic license.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2021, 08:25:55 PM »
Since when are you an artist Timmy?  :lol
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2021, 08:14:31 AM »
Alright, who is at Tim's computer? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #148 on: May 23, 2021, 09:13:02 AM »
I'm killing it tonight! :lol

Ever seen ET? I haven't.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2021, 09:22:20 AM »

Whoa, he looks like he's in a SPINDRIFT.   :omg:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: May 27, 2021, 03:40:44 AM »
Re: Why isn't Alex Lifeson more highly regarded as a guitarist? ?

For me it's that awful tone. Drenching a guitar in chorus doesn't make it sound bigger. Or like two guitars. It makes it sound weak.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #151 on: May 27, 2021, 05:38:05 AM »
Tell that to The Edge.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2021, 05:25:25 AM »
I'm talking about one rhythm guitar covered in chorus to make it sound bigger - playing chords.

Edge uses echo mostly - I can't recall any song right now where Edge plays exclusively chords live and he's covered in chorus.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2021, 07:27:20 AM »
I'm talking about one rhythm guitar covered in chorus to make it sound bigger - playing chords.

Edge uses echo mostly - I can't recall any song right now where Edge plays exclusively chords live and he's covered in chorus.

There's nothing wrong with that, though.  Gilmour does that a lot as does Steve Rothery (who is heavily influenced by Gilmour).

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #154 on: May 29, 2021, 12:23:26 PM »

For me it's that awful tone. Drenching a guitar in chorus doesn't make it sound bigger. Or like two guitars. It makes it sound weak.
Most of the time Alex uses chorus is on the clean channel,  he rarely uses it on the distorted channel.  His tone is one of the things that draws me to Rush.  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lupton

« Reply #155 on: May 29, 2021, 04:21:53 PM »

Most of the time Alex uses chorus is on the clean channel,  he rarely uses it on the distorted channel.  His tone is one of the things that draws me to Rush.  :tup

I'm guilty of loving most of Alex's tone choices over the years. I suppose the real test is do you like the tone on A Show of Hands? I was at young impressionable age when I first heard that live record and to this day, I still love the tone on that one; even though I suspect it would probably be one of the worst offenders in terms of chorus overuse. One man's trash....

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #156 on: May 29, 2021, 07:29:23 PM »

I'm guilty of loving most of Alex's tone choices over the years. I suppose the real test is do you like the tone on A Show of Hands? I was at young impressionable age when I first heard that live record and to this day, I still love the tone on that one; even though I suspect it would probably be one of the worst offenders in terms of chorus overuse. One man's trash....
I love ASOH,  but you are right about Alex using a lot of chorus on that one now that I think about it. His tone got so much better from the Vapor Trails tour onwards.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2021, 11:34:50 AM »

I love ASOH,  but you are right about Alex using a lot of chorus on that one now that I think about it. His tone got so much better from the Vapor Trails tour onwards.

Yeah his tone starts beefing up around Counterparts. Anyone talking about Alex having a weak tone is talking out their ass.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2021, 11:39:43 AM »
I know Alex wasn't retroactively fond of his tone around the Hold Your Fire/A Show of Hands time period, which is why he tweaked it a bit when they redid the A Show of Hands video for DVD release, which is still irksome, but it fit the music they were doing at the time.  I loved seeing Mission (finally!!) for example on the Snakes and Arrows tour, but it didn't quite have the same magic with him using a different guitar tone.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2021, 12:06:34 PM »
Honestly it was the 80's. Digital recording was still somewhat new. Many albums sounded "tinny" back in the day.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2021, 01:00:38 PM »
Honestly it was the 80's. Digital recording was still somewhat new. Many albums sounded "tinny" back in the day.

I think this is important.  I even think Rush was still a bit on the heavier side of "tinny", meaning, there were worse offenders than Alex.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2021, 06:14:20 AM »
Part of Alex's tinny sound on OSOH was because of the guitars he was using. He nick-named them "Hentor" I believe but I'm not sure of the model. I never like these guitars for the live sound.         

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: May 31, 2021, 06:24:57 AM »
Hentor was used only on the Grace tour.  It was a Frankenstein guitar of his. 

On a show of Hands he used Signature Guitar Company model - Aurora.

https://equipboard.com/pros/alex-lifeson/signature-guitar-great-white