Author Topic: Improve sound quality on "old" videos  (Read 773 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Improve sound quality on "old" videos
« on: April 26, 2021, 08:48:24 AM »
It's really not old videos though.

11 years ago I had my masters examintation concert in classical percussion. My plan was too capture the concert with my trusty Zoom H4 but a classmate had fiddled with my settings so to my wonderful surprise I found out after the concert that nothing was captured. I was so focused on my performance I just had no time checking the settings before pressing record.

To my surprise my sisters husband actually recorded the whole thing with his camera that I actually didn't now about. I was very grateful for that!

Today I actually listened to my performance for the first time. Although I was pretty happy with my performance I had alot of nerves and pressure so i've been kinda avoiding going back to it. I know it's stupid. However today I felt like checking it out and it's really fun listening to since I can look back on the whole thing with more pride and distance.

The video quailty is actually pretty decent for being 2010 however the audio is pretty bad since it's alot of acoustic instruments in a big room with lots of echo. I tried to use the DeNoise plugin in Premier Pro and that filtered it a bit.

I just wondered if anyone has any experience to share on improving the audio source on "old" videos and if there's certain plugins to use. What would your method be, serperate the audio and tweak it in DAWs? I'm kinda thinking in those lines.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 09:13:32 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Improve sound quality on "old" videos
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 02:47:41 PM »
If anyones interested I found this video to be a bit helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=setayq2RHzA&ab_channel=KevinFremon

He basically recreates better audio by diffrent audio effects in Premier like Parametric Equalizer, it's amazing how much more umph that makes to the sound. He also uses Multiband Compressor, Hard Limiter and Mastering. I started noddling with those and it's coming to life slowly. However i'm trying to lower some distortion getting through.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Improve sound quality on "old" videos
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 02:54:49 PM »
Depending on the video format I have found that Corel Video Studio Ultimate 2021 has pretty decent sound tools to improve the audio of any video files that it can successfully separate out the audio on its own track.  Results vary by source material format.