Poll

Which do you like better?

Dokken
24 (92.3%)
Lynch Mob
2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: 80s Battle: Dokken vs. Lynch Mob  (Read 2191 times)

Online ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 80s Battle: Dokken vs. Lynch Mob
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2021, 01:16:08 PM »

I owned the first 2 Lynch Mob albums back in the day, but the only things I can remember are the title track on Wicked Sensation, and that one of the songs has a low vocal part that sounds like Elmer Fudd. 

Yeah, I'm not saying Dokken was a one-man outfit.  In fact, to me, if there's no George Lynch there is no Dokken.  That said, Don was an excellent vocalist in his prime.  And here's a video that demonstrates how a good harmony vocalist can elevate a lead vocalist's performance. 

I think Erase the Slate sound like classic Dokken, despite having Reb Beach on guitar.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2021, 09:13:40 PM »
Couldn't tell you what Lynch Mob sounds like, but I like some Dokken songs.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2021, 10:11:58 PM »

I owned the first 2 Lynch Mob albums back in the day, but the only things I can remember are the title track on Wicked Sensation, and that one of the songs has a low vocal part that sounds like Elmer Fudd. 

Yeah, I'm not saying Dokken was a one-man outfit.  In fact, to me, if there's no George Lynch there is no Dokken.  That said, Don was an excellent vocalist in his prime.  And here's a video that demonstrates how a good harmony vocalist can elevate a lead vocalist's performance. 

I think Erase the Slate sound like classic Dokken, despite having Reb Beach on guitar.

lol on Elmer Fudd
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2021, 03:04:41 PM »
Easily went with Dokken - never could get into Lynch Mob. I think I listened to the first 2 albums a couple times at best and nothing grabbed. Never bothered with anything beyond that. Though I LOVE his Sacred Groove album! But for me, Back for the Attack is where it's at - one of the few albums where I don't feel the need to skip any of the tracks.

I will say the one Don Dokken solo song I’ve heard, “Mirror Mirror” is excellent.
I remember them playing that song repeatedly on the radio back when it came out, but honestly it is far from the best song album on the album. I love the opener (Crash 'n' Burn) which I'm just listening to with great solos. 1000 Miles Away is killer (probably my fave on the album) and Forever is another great song. As bl5150 says, it's a shame they only did the one album, altho I was lucky enough to meet them all (except Peter) at an in-store appearance and got them all to sign my CD, which I still have.  :coolio   Definitely an album that I'd consider a part of the Dokken canon, even if it was a solo album.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline emtee

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2021, 11:21:28 AM »
Robert Mason should have been a rock superstar. The man can sing! Went down a Dokken, Lynch Mob, End Machine rabbit hole thanks to this thread.

Also, one of my dream collaborations is/was, Portnoy, Lynch. Those two could be magic together.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2021, 12:55:04 PM »
Would've been interesting if the coup that the powers that be were trying to pull off would've been successful in getting Robert Mason in as DT's vocalist instead of JL. One of many hypotheticals, but you have to wonder what their musical output have been like, and how long they would last - would they have been as long lived as they are now?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2021, 06:19:27 PM »
Well, I managed to last through 4 and a half songs from Don Dokken's Up From The Ashes. That album blows chunks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol