Author Topic: 2021 NFL Thread v. Super Bowl 56: Rams vs Bengals  (Read 97346 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2021 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady going for his 133rd ring!
« Reply #315 on: August 12, 2021, 10:37:11 AM »
It's been a long time for me, and I am not in one now, but I won a couple years running with a BEAST of a quarterback (I had the older Manning) and guys like Priest Holmes who put up big numbers for a short while so were under the radar.  The problem with that strategy is you have to replace the Holmes character every two years or so.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #316 on: August 12, 2021, 06:21:35 PM »
Joined a fantasy league for the first time in about 20 years and I’m a bit out of the loop as to who the best fantasy players are outside the obvious. I know there are tons of fantasy sights to help a guy out but any tips on who could be sneaky good or players to avoid would be great.

It's an inexact science, and it is harder lately with COVID and more injuries than normal, but the below link is helpful.  To me, the mark of a good draft is getting good value. 

https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp
So RBs are back to being the top prospects? I thought it'd moved to QBs being the first picks for a while, but I haven't paid much attention for ages.

QB's are never top picks anymore unless you are in a league where you start two.  There are so many good QB's (when it comes to fantasy scoring) that you are only hurting your team to spend an early draft pick on one. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #317 on: August 12, 2021, 08:43:41 PM »
Joined a fantasy league for the first time in about 20 years and I’m a bit out of the loop as to who the best fantasy players are outside the obvious. I know there are tons of fantasy sights to help a guy out but any tips on who could be sneaky good or players to avoid would be great.

It's an inexact science, and it is harder lately with COVID and more injuries than normal, but the below link is helpful.  To me, the mark of a good draft is getting good value. 

So RBs are back to being the top prospects? I thought it'd moved to QBs being the first picks for a while, but I haven't paid much attention for ages.

QB's are never top picks anymore unless you are in a league where you start two.  There are so many good QB's (when it comes to fantasy scoring) that you are only hurting your team to spend an early draft pick on one.

In my limited fantasy football experience, I find running backs are the most valuable, because with QB’s and receivers/tight ends, they benefit each other (so if you have Mahomes and your opponent has Kelce they cancel each other out) but with no O-Lines in fantasy, running backs stats are theirs and theirs alone.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #318 on: August 12, 2021, 08:57:28 PM »
Reading all you nerds responses and how you take away the real enjoyment of the game makes me happy not to play fantasy football 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #319 on: August 12, 2021, 09:00:10 PM »
Reading all you nerds responses and how you take away the real enjoyment of the game makes me happy not to play fantasy football

Oh I hated fantasy football. There’s a reason I’ve only done three leagues in my life. I would much rather suffer because of WATCHING the game.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: August 12, 2021, 09:09:07 PM »
I used to do 4 teams 5 dollars on cards and that interrupted my viewing so a swore that off.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: August 13, 2021, 06:37:48 AM »

That's mainly why I quit; it absolutely... if not "ruined" then at least changed how I watched football, and for me, I love watching football just for the fun of it.  The only sport where I don't care who's playing in order to watch a game.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: August 13, 2021, 06:54:00 AM »
You miss all the nuances in the game when you're worried about other games and individual players.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #323 on: August 13, 2021, 08:12:25 AM »

In my limited fantasy football experience, I find running backs are the most valuable, because with QB’s and receivers/tight ends, they benefit each other (so if you have Mahomes and your opponent has Kelce they cancel each other out) but with no O-Lines in fantasy, running backs stats are theirs and theirs alone.
That's certainly the way it was back when I was playing. I was just of the opinion that a few years ago the model changed and QBs started becoming key. Not only when the NFL became predominantly a passing league, but when QBs started doubling as RBs. Maybe I imagined this, or maybe it went that way for a few years and has now reverted back to the old ways. I've no idea.

I quit playing FF when I realized that it was all pointless. In reality, the quality of your team will never be as important as who you play any given week. The random drawing that creates your schedule is what determines who wins. Not anything you do.  I had back to back seasons where I had, by far, the best team in the league. One of those years I scored, I think, 14 pts a week more than second place, on average. Alas, both years my oponents always had their best weeks of the season when they played me, something I could not control. 84, 92, 91, 87, 132, 94, 86. Guess which week I was.  :lol After putting up stellar numbers week in and week out and not even making the playoffs for two consecutive years, I decided that the whole thing was pointless, gave up a team I'd managed for 15+ years, and never looked back. Don't miss it in the slightest.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline T-ski

« Reply #324 on: August 13, 2021, 08:19:26 AM »

It’s the exact reason I haven’t played in 20 years.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #325 on: August 13, 2021, 12:02:22 PM »

LOL King.  I've never had an interest in fantasy football because, well, it's not real. :lol  Always seemed to me like a lot of work with very little payoff.  But hey, if some people think it's fun somehow, knock yourselves out and go into concussion protocol.  :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #326 on: August 13, 2021, 12:46:09 PM »
It really did improve my enjoyment of the game once I stopped playing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: August 13, 2021, 01:36:28 PM »
I found that my focus wasn't on what really mattered. 

BTW, I'm all ready for Mac time.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #328 on: August 13, 2021, 01:52:33 PM »
I found that my focus wasn't on what really mattered. 

BTW, I'm all ready for Mac time.
I think they'll roll with Cam, and they're probably right to do so. He's got the experience and his legs can make up for what he lacks in sheer QB play. That said, McCorkle showed good poise and a familiarity with the system beyond what you'd expect. Based on what I've seen I think he's going to work out fine. I think Cam should be on a short leash, but right now I think he has a better shot at winning games for them.

The two plays that showed the biggest difference between them yesterday were a sack that Cam should have felt coming a mile away, and McCorkle stepping forward to avoid a hit that he never could have seen coming. As I've said before, Cam has the pocket presence of Helen Keller. Mac seems to have pretty good awareness of his surroundings.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: August 13, 2021, 02:13:56 PM »
I thought the same thing about the sack.  I actually was hoping for Mac to have a year under his belt then start but if he can be poised with the #1's, he might start at some point this season.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #330 on: August 13, 2021, 03:46:33 PM »
I thought the same thing about the sack.  I actually was hoping for Mac to have a year under his belt then start but if he can be poised with the #1's, he might start at some point this season.
I don't see Mac coming in later in the season unless it's necessary. Unless Cam gets hurt or plays just horrendously, Bill will stick with him. I get the impression Bill's a stubborn bastard, and he's not going to switch guys if the season is still competitive, and I think Cam will do enough to keep them in it.

That said, if two guys run out onto the field and smash Cam in the knee with a pipe, I know who I'll be suspicious about.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #331 on: August 13, 2021, 04:27:08 PM »
You doing the pick em league again this year Barto?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #332 on: August 13, 2021, 04:34:08 PM »
You doing the pick em league again this year Barto?
Sure. Just procrastinating, as usual. Gotta see if I can maintain that pace from last year.  :yarr
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: August 13, 2021, 04:49:34 PM »
I don't see Mac coming in later in the season unless it's necessary. Unless Cam gets hurt or plays just horrendously, Bill will stick with him. I get the impression Bill's a stubborn bastard, and he's not going to switch guys if the season is still competitive, and I think Cam will do enough to keep them in it.

That said, if two guys run out onto the field and smash Cam in the knee with a pipe, I know who I'll be suspicious about.  :lol

Lol. I have no confidence in Cam. He can't see the field like he should.  No pocket presence.  Arm is shot. What a bad combo.  1st half of season isn't that bad though except Tampa.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #334 on: August 13, 2021, 05:58:19 PM »
See, for me, fantasy football is probably the main reason why I even watch football anymore.  The product itself isn't nearly as good as it used to be overall. And even FF isn't as fun the last few years thanks to injuries and a host of other factors.  The drafts and auctions are the  most fun part of FF.  I always love doing those.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: August 14, 2021, 07:48:22 AM »

Lol. I have no confidence in Cam. He can't see the field like he should.  No pocket presence.  Arm is shot. What a bad combo.  1st half of season isn't that bad though except Tampa.

I suppose it's a little unfair to base on an intangible like that, but that's one of the things that bothers me most about Cam.  I feel like he hasn't learned ANYTHING in ten years in the league, and is STILL relying on the physical skills that got him here.   I can't remember who it was - it was likely one of the Fox guys, Bradshaw or Long - but I remember someone saying about Cam that he will never be one of the greats, because he doesn't know what he doesn't know, and doesn't know what he has to learn.   And I think that's really (and still) true.  He's that pitcher that had a 98 mph fastball but never developed the curve or slider once his heat fell to a more manageable 95 mph.

Add to that his dubious off-the-field presence (not a fan of the "but loyalty, I deserve it!" sentiment; you're not f-ing Brady for god's sake, read the room) and I can't wait for this chapter of Patriot history to end.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: August 14, 2021, 08:05:58 AM »
Me as well.  It's disheartening to see social media posts like that from a leader.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #337 on: August 14, 2021, 08:33:15 AM »
I agree with you guys.  You do not deserve loyalty; you earn it. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: August 14, 2021, 08:47:28 AM »
His play last year does not deserve my loyalty. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #339 on: August 14, 2021, 09:05:14 AM »
Cam is just another one of those QB's who has freaking athleticism and figures he can be great simply because of that.  He has never evolved into a particularly accurate passer on a consistent basis.  Look at the guys considered the best QB's of all time: Brady, P Manning, Montana.  None of them had crazy strong arms or freakish athletic talent, but were all deadly accurate.  A great arm and athleticism is nice, but accuracy and making good decisions...those are the two biggies you want from your QB.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: August 14, 2021, 09:42:26 AM »

Oh I hated fantasy football. There’s a reason I’ve only done three leagues in my life. I would much rather suffer because of WATCHING the game.
  I used to do 6 leagues a year for 16 years.  I quit cold turkey as soon as my Rams moved back to LA and we started attending every game :)  Today will mark our first time in our new seats at SoFi!!  The bittersweet is we bought our retirement home in Florida and will be moving beginning of December.  So we will catch probably 6 games this season.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: August 15, 2021, 08:46:32 AM »
Cam is just another one of those QB's who has freaking athleticism and figures he can be great simply because of that.  He has never evolved into a particularly accurate passer on a consistent basis.  Look at the guys considered the best QB's of all time: Brady, P Manning, Montana.  None of them had crazy strong arms or freakish athletic talent, but were all deadly accurate.  A great arm and athleticism is nice, but accuracy and making good decisions...those are the two biggies you want from your QB.

I still think Brady is career better, but Manning (Peyton) is number two for me, largely for the way he evolved his game as his health decreased.

I don't know, but the truly greats, the ones who have earned it, don't seem to have the need to whine for "loyalty".   "Loyalty" to me in this context seems to mean "let me skate by on my laurels, while giving you less than my best".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #342 on: August 15, 2021, 08:58:20 AM »

I still think Brady is career better, but Manning (Peyton) is number two for me, largely for the way he evolved his game as his health decreased.

I don't know, but the truly greats, the ones who have earned it, don't seem to have the need to whine for "loyalty".   "Loyalty" to me in this context seems to mean "let me skate by on my laurels, while giving you less than my best".

Agreed.  And it's a case of some guys just having that pedigree where they just walk in the room and it's there.  There have been reports out there about Brady from the get-go with the Bucs was getting on players at camp about running the right routes and whatnot, and you know those guys took it to heart and worked to get better instead of thinking, "Who does this guy think he is?"  When you walk on the field as a guy who has won 6 Super Bowls, like Brady did in Tampa last summer, it commands immediate respect and loyalty. 

Unfortunately for Cam, his presence alone does not command that kind of respect or loyalty.  And whining about it only makes it less likely to happen going forward.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #343 on: August 15, 2021, 10:55:55 AM »
Seahawks/Raiders and Rams/Chargers.  Last night was fun for me! 

I've seen multiple videos of fights at the Rams game.  Stay classy LA!  ::)
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #344 on: August 17, 2021, 03:37:43 PM »

Dude....it's a Dream Theater forum. What did you expect....grunting and loin cloths? 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: August 17, 2021, 03:42:26 PM »

Dude....it's a Dream Theater forum. What did you expect....grunting and loin cloths?

No. I figured polyhedral dice and acme medication.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: August 17, 2021, 04:17:48 PM »
Add me to the group who feels FF takes away from the overall enjoyment of the game.  I'm cool never joining a league ever again but I can totally see myself falling for peer pressure at some point again.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #347 on: August 18, 2021, 04:37:49 AM »

No. I figured polyhedral dice and acme medication.
:lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: August 27, 2021, 04:28:10 PM »
I saw that.  Lol. Me, Cam brings takes like this on himself.