Author Topic: 2021 NFL Thread v. Super Bowl 56: Rams vs Bengals  (Read 97310 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2021 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady going for his 133rd ring!
« Reply #280 on: August 06, 2021, 07:10:26 PM »
What is with coaches becoming hard-asses about people calling them "Coach?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #281 on: August 07, 2021, 07:08:25 AM »
Wait, are you guys trying to say that the whole Brady v Mahomes narrative was some sort of hype? Crazy marketing ploy? I'll be damned. Who knew?

My post was aimed at the sportscasters, not you guys.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #282 on: August 07, 2021, 07:09:08 AM »
Wait, are you guys trying to say that the whole Brady v Mahomes narrative was some sort of hype? Crazy marketing ploy? I'll be damned. Who knew?

Haha, do you feel enlightened? :P

I get why the NFL and networks do it.  It draws interest and makes casual viewers more likely to watch the game.  It just feels like something that doesn't really stand up in a more nuanced convo about the sport by more knowledgeable fans (like I'd like to think some of us are).  Sure, Tom Brady's under .500 record against the Manning brothers in the playoffs is fun to bring up as a rib, but it ultimately means nothing.

Sacrilege! Get out the torches and pitchforks!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #283 on: August 07, 2021, 07:40:39 AM »
Oh heck, since I'm on a roll . . . what's with the double-standard on injuries?

Other QBs: "I played with an injury last year"

"Drama queen!"

Brady: "I played with an injury last year"

"What courage! What toughness!"

::)

So I guess they don't penalize teams any more for hiding injuries?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #284 on: August 07, 2021, 02:51:55 PM »
They should hide injuries.   Players would go after that area right away.  Especially if you could knock out a starting QB.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #285 on: August 07, 2021, 08:10:44 PM »
Even though it can be aggravating for the purposes of fantasy football, I am good with teams hiding injuries.  Why tell the other team which players are hurt so they can plan better?  Yeah, yeah, league rules.  Pfft. The league only gives a crap because of Vegas and gambling purposes, as they know that gambling is a big reason why the league is so popular.  I thought it was hysterical the year Belichick listed almost everyone on the injury report every week.  :lol :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #286 on: August 09, 2021, 07:08:19 AM »

"Drama queen!"

Don't couch your intense dislike for Brady with some blanket conspiracy. I have just as irrational a distaste for the coverage of Mahomes, and it's exactly the same.    [Other quarterback] does it, and like you said, "Drama queen", but Mahomes does it and "We've got to put this guy into the Hall Of Fame!"   [Other quarterback] throws a sidearm backhand flip and his technique is horrible, but Mahomes does it and "can you BELIEVE that athleticism?  That CREATIVITY??".   

C'mon, man, don't let your hate for Brady cloud your judgment.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #287 on: August 09, 2021, 09:59:46 AM »
The only good thing about preseason  football is that it's a reminder that regular football is a month away!  :tup

A lot of people are finding that less and less interesting also.  Maybe that's why NFL ratings are at an all time low.  :justjen
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #288 on: August 09, 2021, 10:30:15 AM »
The only good thing about preseason  football is that it's a reminder that regular football is a month away!  :tup

A lot of people are finding that less and less interesting also.  Maybe that's why NFL ratings are at an all time low.  :justjen
All time since 2017.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #289 on: August 09, 2021, 10:36:28 AM »
Oh yeah, that's right.  I forgot about all the statisticians on the board.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: August 09, 2021, 11:22:28 AM »
I owned season tickets for the Pats from 1986 to 2012.  Never went to 1 pre season game.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #291 on: August 09, 2021, 12:22:40 PM »
I owned season tickets for the Pats from 1986 to 2012.  Never went to 1 pre season game.
I'm actually interested in preseason since NE is in an unusual situation. I think they've got more starter-caliber players than they can keep. This isn't about people trying to make the team, but rather people trying to stay on the team.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #292 on: August 09, 2021, 06:05:50 PM »

"Drama queen!"

Don't couch your intense dislike for Brady with some blanket conspiracy. I have just as irrational a distaste for the coverage of Mahomes, and it's exactly the same.    [Other quarterback] does it, and like you said, "Drama queen", but Mahomes does it and "We've got to put this guy into the Hall Of Fame!"   [Other quarterback] throws a sidearm backhand flip and his technique is horrible, but Mahomes does it and "can you BELIEVE that athleticism?  That CREATIVITY??".   

C'mon, man, don't let your hate for Brady cloud your judgment.

I am pretty he has already passed go and collected $200 in that regard more times than we can count. :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #293 on: August 09, 2021, 06:44:44 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: August 09, 2021, 07:11:54 PM »
 :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #295 on: August 09, 2021, 08:09:24 PM »
This actually might be the best photobomb ever.

E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: August 09, 2021, 08:11:24 PM »
Is that Adam Vinatieri? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #297 on: August 09, 2021, 08:14:46 PM »
One of like 6 people in the universe that could pull that off.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: August 09, 2021, 08:23:35 PM »
That's great! :lol

Clutch as they come.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: August 10, 2021, 06:15:23 AM »
One of like 6 people in the universe that could pull that off.

I love that on every level. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #300 on: August 10, 2021, 06:18:18 AM »
Meanwhile, Lamar Jackson has now had COVID twice in the last year and still isn't sure he wants to get vaccinated.  :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: August 10, 2021, 12:08:47 PM »
Meanwhile, Lamar Jackson has now had COVID twice in the last year and still isn't sure he wants to get vaccinated.  :lol :lol

Did he actually say he's not sure he wants to be vaccinated?  Crazy.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #302 on: August 10, 2021, 12:18:03 PM »

Keeping this strictly to sports, one would think that the a team that is 100% completely vaccinated would have a competitive edge against a team that isn't 100% vaccinated.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: August 10, 2021, 01:54:32 PM »
HAIL! to Peyton Manning for the first couple of minutes of his induction speech last weekend.  As a Raven fan, who had to endure the bloviating antics of Ray Lewis, my wife and I and various friends could not help but LMAO in regards to Peyton's time restraint comments :D  And his follow up as to the laterals.....kudos for mentioning Barry Sanders and Lem Barney of the Lions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiVrW-5eqUU

And now....  I will state that Lamar Jackson is just a complete idiot and man child.  2x with Covid, and he must STILL consult with his family and doctors as to the vaccine?

I know that I was not always a grown up at 24 (hell, I am still childish at times, but.....)

What planet have you been living on?  Wake the eff up!  So much for 'taking one for the team'.   :facepalm:
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #304 on: August 10, 2021, 02:01:26 PM »
But is this really surprising?  We have out and proud flat earthers in the NBA.  Given the various attitudes out there about vaccines, why is anyone shocked that an NFL athlete is anti-vax?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #305 on: August 10, 2021, 02:15:34 PM »
I'm not really shocked by much of anything now days.  It looks like the protocol has shifted in recent weeks with some pushback.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/23/sports/football/nfl-vaccination-policy.html

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #306 on: August 10, 2021, 02:40:40 PM »
Star players are useless if they aren't available. I know we all know that but this is preventable and since big money is involved, the owners will win.

Cole Beasley can retire for all I care and so can Lamar.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: August 10, 2021, 05:56:51 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #308 on: August 10, 2021, 06:21:26 PM »
That's an odd looking pic of the two. :lol

Basically.  He pretty much said he'd have to do some research (still??) and talk to his teammates to see what the deal is ( :lol :lol :lol :lol).   He basically sounds like a guy who has no interest in getting the vaccine.  If I am the Ravens, I am balking at the idea of giving him a contract similar to the ones Mahomes or Josh Allen got.  A QB who makes bad decisions is not one you can trust, and that description seems to apply here.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: August 10, 2021, 07:24:46 PM »
Josh Allen is in the same boat though and got the deal.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: August 11, 2021, 10:21:44 AM »
HAIL! to Peyton Manning for the first couple of minutes of his induction speech last weekend.  As a Raven fan, who had to endure the bloviating antics of Ray Lewis, my wife and I and various friends could not help but LMAO in regards to Peyton's time restraint comments :D  And his follow up as to the laterals.....kudos for mentioning Barry Sanders and Lem Barney of the Lions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiVrW-5eqUU

And now....  I will state that Lamar Jackson is just a complete idiot and man child.  2x with Covid, and he must STILL consult with his family and doctors as to the vaccine?

I know that I was not always a grown up at 24 (hell, I am still childish at times, but.....)

What planet have you been living on?  Wake the eff up!  So much for 'taking one for the team'.   :facepalm:

I don't support him - I'm Team Vaccine - but I can't imagine why this is hard to fathom.  He's 24, he's a pro athlete (and therefore at peak physical condition), and has had it twice with no, as of now, adverse effects.  If you're vaccine-hesitant, this is the optimal scenario.  I got it twice, ain't that bad, why should I vaccinate?   If you look at Tom Brady - who monitors what goes in his body to the nth degree - this isn't a hard stretch to make.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #311 on: August 12, 2021, 08:13:02 AM »
Joined a fantasy league for the first time in about 20 years and I’m a bit out of the loop as to who the best fantasy players are outside the obvious. I know there are tons of fantasy sights to help a guy out but any tips on who could be sneaky good or players to avoid would be great.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #312 on: August 12, 2021, 08:37:42 AM »
Joined a fantasy league for the first time in about 20 years and I’m a bit out of the loop as to who the best fantasy players are outside the obvious. I know there are tons of fantasy sights to help a guy out but any tips on who could be sneaky good or players to avoid would be great.

It's an inexact science, and it is harder lately with COVID and more injuries than normal, but the below link is helpful.  To me, the mark of a good draft is getting good value. 

https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #313 on: August 12, 2021, 09:12:21 AM »

It's an inexact science, and it is harder lately with COVID and more injuries than normal, but the below link is helpful.  To me, the mark of a good draft is getting good value. 

https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp
So RBs are back to being the top prospects? I thought it'd moved to QBs being the first picks for a while, but I haven't paid much attention for ages.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #314 on: August 12, 2021, 09:37:27 AM »
I'm in the same boat.  Just joined one at work.  And it's different than what I've done before.  It's a keeper league.  So I had to research what the fuck that even means before signing up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.