Author Topic: 2021 NFL Thread v. Super Bowl 56: Rams vs Bengals  (Read 96987 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2021 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady going for his 133rd ring!
« Reply #245 on: July 16, 2021, 01:04:34 PM »
So it came out that Tom Brady played on a torn ACL all of last year.  The internet is abuzz that "Here's goes Tom Brady cheating again. 

I honestly think the injury report should be wiped out.  It's only there for the bettors. If a team knew that Brady had that tear they would be teeing off weekly at that knee.  You guys agree or disagree with me on getting rid of the injury report?
Is the internet really abuzz about it? Or are we just being told that it is? Either way, now that people think that it is it certainly will be. Just look at the goddamned gypsy moths.

In any case, the interesting part to me is that it was originally a partially torn MCL, and this morning it was a fully torn MCL (which I don't think you could play on). By Monday he will have played the season while battling stage XIII lung cancer which he cured via the TB12 method.

And insofar as the injury report goes, wasn't it originally a problem when NE listed him on it every single week for an undisclosed injury? Either way, I've got no problem with the injury report. Opposing teams need to know who they might be facing. More importantly, the NFL desperately wants gamblers to be able to enjoy the game.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin 

That made me LOL for real. *golf clap*

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #246 on: July 16, 2021, 01:23:32 PM »
So it came out that Tom Brady played on a torn ACL all of last year.  The internet is abuzz that "Here's goes Tom Brady cheating again. 

I honestly think the injury report should be wiped out.  It's only there for the bettors. If a team knew that Brady had that tear they would be teeing off weekly at that knee.  You guys agree or disagree with me on getting rid of the injury report?
Is the internet really abuzz about it? Or are we just being told that it is? Either way, now that people think that it is it certainly will be. Just look at the goddamned gypsy moths.

In any case, the interesting part to me is that it was originally a partially torn MCL, and this morning it was a fully torn MCL (which I don't think you could play on). By Monday he will have played the season while battling stage XIII lung cancer which he cured via the TB12 method.

And insofar as the injury report goes, wasn't it originally a problem when NE listed him on it every single week for an undisclosed injury? Either way, I've got no problem with the injury report. Opposing teams need to know who they might be facing. More importantly, the NFL desperately wants gamblers to be able to enjoy the game.

I know it was coming and I STILL laughed out loud.  :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #247 on: July 16, 2021, 01:56:41 PM »
 :lol

That's the media now El Barto.   Not the fans. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: July 20, 2021, 11:36:34 AM »
Well shit......  Guess we will be shopping for a vet goal line RB in 3...2...1.....

https://www.nfl.com/news/rams-rb-cam-akers-suffers-torn-achilles-training

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #249 on: July 20, 2021, 06:45:34 PM »
Well shit......  Guess we will be shopping for a vet goal line RB in 3...2...1.....

Saw that early.  Sucks.  He was looking really good late last season, too. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #250 on: July 21, 2021, 10:30:11 AM »

Saw that early.  Sucks.  He was looking really good late last season, too. 
Patriots have a very crowded backfield, and Sony Michel isn't even a lock to make the roster (though he probably will). Shipping him West would make perfect sense, but the Rams don't have anything they could give up for him. LeSean McCoy would certainly help, but I suspect other teams could pay him more.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #251 on: July 21, 2021, 03:52:44 PM »
Patriots have a very crowded backfield, and Sony Michel isn't even a lock to make the roster (though he probably will). Shipping him West would make perfect sense, but the Rams don't have anything they could give up for him. LeSean McCoy would certainly help, but I suspect other teams could pay him more.

Is it 2016? :P

Offline jammindude

« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2021, 09:45:23 PM »
Changing the subject to The Washington Football Team that still doesn’t have a name.

My friend and I were talking about it tonight…thinking about names. And he just threw Warriors out there.

Maybe I’m alone here, but I thought it was freaking brilliant. Partly because it just fits, and also because (and they probably WON’T do this, but they should) they could keep the logo. I mean honestly. Their current logo IS ABSOLUTELY NOT a caricature. The Cleveland Indians mascot is another story, and I can totally see that being a racist stereotype. But the actual “redskin” logo is a genuine portrayal of a Native American WARRIOR.  I can’t be the first one to think of this, but it seems so obvious that it’s perfect and I can’t figure out why it wasn’t an instant no brainer.

What do you guys think? 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #253 on: July 24, 2021, 11:47:44 PM »
I like the name.  And I like your tie-in with the logo.  But that said, I suspect they will ditch the logo altogether.  I think they want to distance themselves from any Indian imagery altogether.  But I like your thinking on that, and I agree that it isn't remotely offensive to any reasonable person. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #254 on: July 25, 2021, 07:14:33 AM »
Changing the subject to The Washington Football Team that still doesn’t have a name.

My friend and I were talking about it tonight…thinking about names. And he just threw Warriors out there.

Maybe I’m alone here, but I thought it was freaking brilliant. Partly because it just fits, and also because (and they probably WON’T do this, but they should) they could keep the logo. I mean honestly. Their current logo IS ABSOLUTELY NOT a caricature. The Cleveland Indians mascot is another story, and I can totally see that being a racist stereotype. But the actual “redskin” logo is a genuine portrayal of a Native American WARRIOR.  I can’t be the first one to think of this, but it seems so obvious that it’s perfect and I can’t figure out why it wasn’t an instant no brainer.

What do you guys think?

No, you're not the first one to think of this. The name Warriors was floated around for a bit but I think they were trying to quell ANY potential conflict because they were also going through their cheerleader/call girl scandal. I think the combination of the name change AND going back to their old spear logo would have been perfect.

Now that being said, I never knew the Redskin nickname had a racist connotation until the controversy started. I always thought the name and the logo was honoring the American Indian. Now the Cleveland logo? Yeah, that was always a little uncomfortable.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: July 25, 2021, 08:40:10 AM »
Um, we're talking like it's as obvious as the nose on our face, but what is it that so "obviously" sets the Cleveland logo apart from the Washington one?  The garish smile?  I mean, it's not a great logo, and it's cartoonish and "old" (as in out of date), but what sets it apart?  I don't count, because I'm not the subject audience, but it seems as if the Washington LOGO, not offensive, Washington NAME, obviously offensive, Cleveland NAME, not offensive, and I can sort of see why someone might not like the Cleveland LOGO, but as or "obviously" out of bounds, I'm just trying to see what you (Jammin, Hunnus) see.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #256 on: July 25, 2021, 09:45:25 AM »
Um, we're talking like it's as obvious as the nose on our face, but what is it that so "obviously" sets the Cleveland logo apart from the Washington one?  The garish smile?  I mean, it's not a great logo, and it's cartoonish and "old" (as in out of date), but what sets it apart?  I don't count, because I'm not the subject audience, but it seems as if the Washington LOGO, not offensive, Washington NAME, obviously offensive, Cleveland NAME, not offensive, and I can sort of see why someone might not like the Cleveland LOGO, but as or "obviously" out of bounds, I'm just trying to see what you (Jammin, Hunnus) see.

I guess what I really meant (I didn't express myself that well) was that I find neither team name or logo offensive. I see the Redskin logo as a tribute to an Indian Chief/Warrior and the Cleveland Indians logo (yes) cartoonish but no less cartoonish or offensive than a caricature of a bucktoothed redneck. However, I can see where both could offend some people.

I grew up with the Skins and the Injuns so I really don't think they need to change their names but hey, I don't own the teams.

BTW - I really think the Washington name change was about changing the narrative because little Danny Snider was in trouble with the cheerleader call-girl scandal.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #257 on: July 25, 2021, 12:13:27 PM »
Well…we’ve come to accept “Indians” because it’s so ingrained in our American culture. But honestly, it’s based on a complete misnomer. If I was a Native American, the title “Indian” would immediately have me screaming, “Look. We’re NOT from India! So knock it off.”
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #258 on: July 25, 2021, 12:35:41 PM »

What do you guys think?
WTF has already said it won't be Warriors. Because it's a more respectful take on the Indian theme it's been bandied about a lot, so they made a point of shooting it down last week. They're going in a completely different direction.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #259 on: July 25, 2021, 03:00:57 PM »
Well…we’ve come to accept “Indians” because it’s so ingrained in our American culture. But honestly, it’s based on a complete misnomer. If I was a Native American, the title “Indian” would immediately have me screaming, “Look. We’re NOT from India! So knock it off.”

Many, my tribe included, actually prefer "Indian."  That actually seems to be true of many of the Northern and Central California tribes.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: July 25, 2021, 03:13:26 PM »
Saying this as a white dude, I think it would be pretty hard to change a word that has been in common usage for centuries. Maybe that isn't the best fight. I don't want to speak for Ben, but I think he would agree in saying teaching everyone about the "Indian" culture and history is more important than screaming about not using a word (correct me if I am wrong, Ben).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline T-ski

« Reply #261 on: July 27, 2021, 08:12:29 AM »
Local media stalking Rodgers plane into Green Bay last night.  Pretty much everyone screwed the pooch on Rodgers playing in Green Bay this season.

I never for one second believed he wasn’t playing, and for people who have covered this guy for years falling for all the b.s. is embarrassing.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #262 on: July 27, 2021, 08:20:38 AM »
Local media stalking Rodgers plane into Green Bay last night.  Pretty much everyone screwed the pooch on Rodgers playing in Green Bay this season.

I never for one second believed he wasn’t playing, and for people who have covered this guy for years falling for all the b.s. is embarrassing.

Too bad. I was looking forward to see what Jordan Love would bring to the Pack.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: July 27, 2021, 08:25:17 AM »

I don't think the Packers would have bent over for Rodgers if Love was ready so it suggests he's not.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #264 on: July 27, 2021, 08:33:16 AM »

I don't think the Packers would have bent over for Rodgers if Love was ready so it suggests he's not.
How did the Packers bend over for him? It was looking to me like St. Rodgers was the one to fold.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: July 27, 2021, 08:41:10 AM »
Isn't it that he's getting an old receiver back he wanted?

Edit: Randell Cobb.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #266 on: July 27, 2021, 08:51:10 AM »
Isn't it that he's getting an old receiver back he wanted?

Edit: Randell Cobb.
Whether or not that qualifies as a bending over depends on what the Texans ask for him. If they can get him for cheap it's an upgrade. His salary certainly isn't unreasonable. If the Texans realize they've got Gutekunst by the short and curlies it could be a real reaming, though.

Speaking of the Texans, what team in its right mind woudl give up three #1s for a QB that may be blackballed for life? I suppose it's a gamble, given the unpredictability of the NFL they might name him Man of the Year or something, but that's a steep price for somebody wrapped up in Me Too right now.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: July 27, 2021, 09:16:46 AM »
I always say something like that El Barto then some owner makes the trade.  It never seems to fail.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: July 27, 2021, 10:27:12 AM »
Not a reliable source, but on the news yesterday (local rock station) they said the Texans are now entertaining offers, and they offered the Eagles as a potential landing spot (no pun intended).  That would be dumb compounded on top of dumb.   

Man I screwed the pooch on Watson; I thought - a year or so ago - he would have been the number one guy on the list of like half the teams of the NFL.  I thought he was the real deal, but this is too much to over come (and rightfully so; if even half the claims are legit he should be done with football).

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #269 on: July 27, 2021, 11:44:07 AM »
Not a reliable source, but on the news yesterday (local rock station) they said the Texans are now entertaining offers, and they offered the Eagles as a potential landing spot (no pun intended).  That would be dumb compounded on top of dumb.   

Man I screwed the pooch on Watson; I thought - a year or so ago - he would have been the number one guy on the list of like half the teams of the NFL.  I thought he was the real deal, but this is too much to over come (and rightfully so; if even half the claims are legit he should be done with football).
The offers they're looking for are 3 first rounders. Were it not for the allegations he'd probably be worth it, but there's just too much uncertainty.

As for the allegations, it's all pretty murky. Half of the massage therapists thought he was a great client, and half are suing him. The problem is that a fair percentage of these therapists were probably down to play, if you follow my drift. Plenty more will have starkly differing opinions over what constitutes inappropriateness. In this day and age he's almost certainly a dead duck, whether it's warranted or not, and I'll just consider that a necessary correction. I won't lose any sleep over it.
E.F. Benson

Online Dream Team

« Reply #270 on: August 05, 2021, 05:19:14 PM »
LOL they are billing the game tonight as Ben vs Dak. What total clowns. No way those guys play.

Newsflash: QBs don’t play against each other!!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #271 on: August 05, 2021, 05:54:07 PM »
Not that I care about preseason games, but it's always exciting to know the season is coming soon, even as a Broncos fan who sees a 6-11 season on the horizon. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #272 on: August 05, 2021, 06:04:08 PM »
Good to see Drew Pearson in the HOF. He's kind of royalty down here.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #273 on: August 05, 2021, 06:33:12 PM »
LOL they are billing the game tonight as Ben vs Dak. What total clowns. No way those guys play.

I always hated the “QB vs QB” hype. The only time opposing quarterbacks are on the field at the same time is the post game handshake. Now WR vs CB is a hype machine I can get behind. Give me Randy Moss vs Darrelle Revis, Calvin Johnson vs Charles Woodson, DeAndre Hopkins vs Richard Sherman, all of it. That’s the real on field battle between two players, and I live for it.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #274 on: August 05, 2021, 08:08:24 PM »

I always hated the “QB vs QB” hype. The only time opposing quarterbacks are on the field at the same time is the post game handshake. Now WR vs CB is a hype machine I can get behind. Give me Randy Moss vs Darrelle Revis, Calvin Johnson vs Charles Woodson, DeAndre Hopkins vs Richard Sherman, all of it. That’s the real on field battle between two players, and I live for it.

Yep, and that stupid logic is going to get Eli Manning into the Hall of Fame, where he has no business, because "he beat Tom Brady in the Super Bowl twice."  Funny, as I never saw Eli Manning once as a part of that pass rush in those two games harassing the hell out of Brady, but I did see him lead the offense to 36 points in those two games. Impressive.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #275 on: August 06, 2021, 08:23:16 AM »
Unfortunately those narratives always win the day, because the average fan/commentator will not invest the time to explore a more intricate understanding of the game.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #276 on: August 06, 2021, 08:59:34 AM »
Wait, are you guys trying to say that the whole Brady v Mahomes narrative was some sort of hype? Crazy marketing ploy? I'll be damned. Who knew?
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #277 on: August 06, 2021, 10:26:00 AM »
Once again I'm reminded of how much preseason football sucks. :tdwn
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #278 on: August 06, 2021, 03:38:50 PM »
Wait, are you guys trying to say that the whole Brady v Mahomes narrative was some sort of hype? Crazy marketing ploy? I'll be damned. Who knew?

Haha, do you feel enlightened? :P

I get why the NFL and networks do it.  It draws interest and makes casual viewers more likely to watch the game.  It just feels like something that doesn't really stand up in a more nuanced convo about the sport by more knowledgeable fans (like I'd like to think some of us are).  Sure, Tom Brady's under .500 record against the Manning brothers in the playoffs is fun to bring up as a rib, but it ultimately means nothing. 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #279 on: August 06, 2021, 03:39:52 PM »
The only good thing about preseason  football is that it's a reminder that regular football is a month away!  :tup