Author Topic: 2021 NFL Thread v. Super Bowl 56: Rams vs Bengals  (Read 97193 times)

Offline hunnus2000

Re: 2021 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady going for his 133rd ring!
« Reply #175 on: May 15, 2021, 07:55:05 AM »
The biggest problem I have with CFA is their food is too salty. I just can't eat it.  :tdwn

Another fun fact - I work with a gal who eats CFA everyday for lunch or at least she used to before the Pandy and I think she ate dinner there too. Yuck............

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #176 on: May 15, 2021, 08:06:35 AM »
But bringing it back sports - every Cowboys fan were convinced that the blue uniforms back in the day were jinxed. And that shade of blue was just butt-ugly.  :tdwn

Offline pg1067

« Reply #177 on: May 15, 2021, 07:04:21 PM »
I put them in the "not bad" category.  Their breakfasts are really good.  The chicken sandwiches...they are good.  They are not great.  I don't get the fanaticism.

Ditto that about In 'n' Out.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #178 on: May 17, 2021, 11:55:25 AM »
I put them in the "not bad" category.  Their breakfasts are really good.  The chicken sandwiches...they are good.  They are not great.  I don't get the fanaticism.

I'm not calling you out, Bosk, but for all those that aren't down with CFA, what - of the national chains - is a better over-all chicken sandwich?   For my money, it's number two  behind Popeyes, but nothing at Mickey D's, Wendy's or the King come close.  And whoever called out the drive through, hell to the yeah.   The drive through near me is a two lane dealie, and even when the line stretches back into the main parking lot (our CFA occupies a front space in a larger strip mall) it moves quickly.

Their soup is good, too, and I miss their chicken-salad sandwiches. THOSE were bomb. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #179 on: May 17, 2021, 12:01:43 PM »

I'm not calling you out, Bosk, but for all those that aren't down with CFA, what - of the national chains - is a better over-all chicken sandwich?

I might also put them at #2 behind Popeye's.  But that still isn't to say that their sandwich is "great."  To me, it isn't.  And, to me, chicken sandwiches at fast food places in general, aren't "great."  Again, I'm not knocking them.  Just for me personally, the level of fanaticism for a merely "good" sandwich is disproportional.  Just because few other national chains may have something better doesn't somehow elevate theirs to something better than it is. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online faizoff

« Reply #180 on: May 17, 2021, 12:27:55 PM »
So does anyone think Tebow at a TE position with the Jags under his former coach will actually amount to anything? On the surface, it looks like a weird move to be honest. Though I suppose he has the physicality of being a decent blocking TE and the occasional trick play.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2021, 12:33:11 PM »
So does anyone think Tebow at a TE position with the Jags under his former coach will actually amount to anything? On the surface, it looks like a weird move to be honest. Though I suppose he has the physicality of being a decent blocking TE and the occasional trick play.

I've got to believe that's a locker room decision more than an on-the-field decision.   Every team has one of those guys who's value isn't necessarily on the game field, but maybe on the practice field.  It also depends if he makes the final roster. There's a lot of room now, not so much in August or whenever the final cuts are.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2021, 12:42:29 PM »
Right on cue, the media lost their minds over the Tebow thing, bringing up Kaepernick of course, even though the two things have zero to do with one another.  You could have set your watch to it, pretty much. :lol :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2021, 12:44:38 PM »

I keep forgetting that there is still time to be cut and replaced. Tebow was also on the Pats roster at some point now that I remember (maybe it was preseason) and was cut before the season.
I've got to believe that's a locker room decision more than an on-the-field decision.   Every team has one of those guys who's value isn't necessarily on the game field, but maybe on the practice field.  It also depends if he makes the final roster. There's a lot of room now, not so much in August or whenever the final cuts are.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 01:50:32 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2021, 01:41:01 PM »
And in the meantime, you get a 6'3" 200-and-some-odd athlete that can challenge other players, is going to work harder than anyone else there, can serve as a resource for the younger players about what Meyer is looking for in a teammate, and probably not be skipping out for 4-20 and/or Tweet breaks wherever possible.   

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2021, 01:58:03 PM »

I'm not calling you out, Bosk, but for all those that aren't down with CFA, what - of the national chains - is a better over-all chicken sandwich?
Arby's.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #186 on: May 17, 2021, 03:39:30 PM »

Arby's.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #187 on: May 17, 2021, 03:42:09 PM »
You didn't like theirs?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #188 on: May 17, 2021, 03:44:18 PM »
I got a roast beef sandwich at Arby's once, and it was the grossest thing ever.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2021, 03:45:42 PM »
I never go to Arby's anymore.  I used to a handful of times a year and every time I would have that "why did I get this crap?" feeling after I ate the food.  I eventually wised up.  On the rare occasion that I am in the mood for fast food roast beef, I go to Lion's Choice.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #190 on: May 17, 2021, 03:51:01 PM »
I never go to Arby's anymore.  I used to a handful of times a year and every time I would have that "why did I get this crap?" feeling after I ate the food.  I eventually wised up.  On the rare occasion that I am in the mood for fast food roast beef, I go to Lion's Choice.
Never heard of Lion's Choice. Regional, I suspect. I've been to Arby's twice in the last 20 years. Once when I was driving through Wyoming and needed a fast lunch. It was only a week or so after hitting a CFA, and the difference between the two chicken sandwiches was night and day. One left me feeling totally underwhelmed, and the other was a decent sandwich. Nothing to write home about, mind you, but a huge upgrade from CFA and their two pickles. (The other time was a few days later on the same road trip--never been back.)
E.F. Benson

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #191 on: May 17, 2021, 05:15:28 PM »
Right there with you all about Arby's being crap. It reminds me of packaged lunch meat on a piece of shit white bread bun. Waste of money.

Hate :tdwn

Offline T-ski

« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2021, 07:57:16 AM »
The Arby’s hate is completely out of control.

Go Packers!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2021, 08:04:22 AM »
Right there with you all about Arby's being crap. It reminds me of packaged lunch meat on a piece of shit white bread bun. Waste of money.

Hate :tdwn

We had an Arby's open up near me and their market savdwichea are pretty damn good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2021, 08:09:58 AM »
I didn't realize I was in the sandwichthread  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #195 on: June 06, 2021, 01:13:53 PM »
Titans made out like bandits in getting Julio Jones from the Falcons.  They now have possibly the best RB in football (D Henry) and two of the top 10 WR's (Julio, AJ Brown).  Tannehill has to be grinning like a kid on Christmas morning about now.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #196 on: June 07, 2021, 07:34:40 AM »
Titans made out like bandits in getting Julio Jones from the Falcons.  They now have possibly the best RB in football (D Henry) and two of the top 10 WR's (Julio, AJ Brown).  Tannehill has to be grinning like a kid on Christmas morning about now.

When Julio is healthy then he can still be effective.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #197 on: June 07, 2021, 07:59:19 AM »

When Julio is healthy then he can still be effective.

Last year was the first year he was unhealthy.  Worth the small risk.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #198 on: June 07, 2021, 04:04:33 PM »
Julio is still elite...when healthy, and that is the hair in the soup.  He is still put up 51 catches and nearly 800 yards despite playing 9 games in 2020.  However, he is going to a team that runs the ball a lot with Henry and already has a young stud WR, so he likely won't be a target monster like he was with Matt Ryan.  He will make their team better, but he won't be the stat whore he has always been (TD's notwithstanding, as he inexplicably has never really been a big TD producer).

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #199 on: June 07, 2021, 06:49:11 PM »
Julio is still elite...when healthy, and that is the hair in the soup.  He is still put up 51 catches and nearly 800 yards despite playing 9 games in 2020.  However, he is going to a team that runs the ball a lot with Henry and already has a young stud WR, so he likely won't be a target monster like he was with Matt Ryan.  He will make their team better, but he won't be the stat whore he has always been (TD's notwithstanding, as he inexplicably has never really been a big TD producer).

Because in the modern NFL tight ends, slot receivers, and running backs get called on in passing situations more in the redzone.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #200 on: June 07, 2021, 07:32:27 PM »
All that,  the Pat's have.

Except the QB to get it to them. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #201 on: June 13, 2021, 06:44:30 AM »
Apparently LeVeon Bell would rather retire than play for Andy Reid again.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

That is rich coming from a guy who hasn't been a good NFL player since 2017.  Pretty sure retirement is a likely option anyway since he isn't worth a damn anymore.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #202 on: June 13, 2021, 12:22:52 PM »

That is rich coming from a guy who hasn't been a good NFL player since 2017.  Pretty sure retirement is a likely option anyway since he isn't worth a damn anymore.

I hope teams smarten up and don’t give this absolute cancer another dime. He butted heads with Big Ben and the Pittsburgh higher-ups during his entire tenure with the Steelers, he had choice words for Adam Gase before he even saw the field for the Jets, and now he has a problem with Andy Reid, one of the greatest coaches of all time.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #203 on: June 13, 2021, 05:40:20 PM »
I am guessing he was on his last leg anyway. If he had much left, Reid would have gotten it out of him last year, especially since there were touches to be had with their starting RB opting out before the season and then rookie getting hurt down the stretch.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2021, 07:04:36 AM »

I hope teams smarten up and don’t give this absolute cancer another dime. He butted heads with Big Ben and the Pittsburgh higher-ups during his entire tenure with the Steelers, he had choice words for Adam Gase before he even saw the field for the Jets, and now he has a problem with Andy Reid, one of the greatest coaches of all time.

I'm with you on all of that.  I'm not the hugest Reid fan as a coach, but the one thing you CAN'T say about him is that he's unfair to his players.  He's hard-nosed, as any NFL coach must be, but the list of players that love him is so much longer than the list of players that don't, that this is on Le'Veon Bell not Andy Reid.   Plus, he wins; I would think that if you were all about it, instead of in it for your own benefit, you'd welcome that (same with Mike Tomlin).   I think this is Bell's true colors:  selfish, not a team player and better left to other, less successful clubs (I know, I know, that's racist!)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #205 on: June 17, 2021, 06:22:35 AM »
Been thinking recently about quarterbacks, an aspect of which I hope we can keep here instead of the P/R forum.

Anyway, I've noticed that virtually almost 100% of NFL QBs (which is the highest position one can attain in team sports) come from stable 2-parent families with strong father figures. And usually conservative families. Now I realize the notion of Dad is pooh-poohed in modern society but the importance of a great Dad cannot be overstated. Anyway. I haven't noticed such a strong correlation of these factors with any other position or sport in general. So can we discuss the whys/hows without having to move the topic? I welcome your insight.

Is it as simple as strong father figure = development of leadership skills necessary for the position? What about all the other needed skills?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 05:42:42 AM by Dream Team »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: June 17, 2021, 07:34:46 AM »
Been thinking recently about quarterbacks, an aspect of which I hope we can keep here instead of the P/R forum.

Anyway, I've noticed that virtually almost 100% of NFL QBs (which is the highest position one can attain in team sports) come from stable 2-person families with strong father figures. And usually conservative families. Now I realize the notion of Dad is pooh-poohed in modern society but the importance of a great Dad cannot be overstated. Anyway. I haven't noticed such a strong correlation of these factors with any other position or sport in general. So can we discuss the whys/hows without having to move the topic? I welcome your insight.

Is it as simple as strong father figure = development of leadership skills necessary for the position? What about all the other needed skills?

Assuming you're right - and I don't know if you are or not, I'll have to think about it - I come from a family in which the father is a towering figure, relatively speaking.  My dad is my idol, my hero, my friend, and my mentor.   From him, I have gotten three things (besides any intelligence I may have) that I value DEEPLY and which have helped me to any success I might have had:   I can take direction, I can work within the parameters of someone else's scheme, but can lead while I do so.    You cannot grow up under a strong father figure and succeed unless you can balance that "do it on your own" with "I have to follow someone else's lead".   I think Brady is the epitome of this; the Patriots were and are Belichick's team.   The players do not fart without at least tacit approval of Bill.   And Tom was the epitome of a team player in that regard.   Having said that, when on the field, when doing drills, when mentoring OTHER players, Tom was and is every bit the leader that Bill was and is. 

If you cannot play within the system, if you don't have the discipline and ability to subvert your own ego to the group, you will never ever be a successful NFL quarterback.  Having said that, if you cannot make in-the-moment decisions, if you don't have the strength and leadership to adjust on the fly and bring your teammates with you, you will never ever be a successful NFL quarterback.    I have zero idea whether they have strong father figures or not, but we can list guys with good skills, even good football skills, that never won for these reasons:   Marino, Rivers, Romo...

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #207 on: June 17, 2021, 08:22:57 AM »

Anyway, I've noticed that virtually almost 100% of NFL QBs (which is the highest position one can attain in team sports) come from stable 2-person families with strong father figures. And usually conservative families. Now I realize the notion of Dad is pooh-poohed in modern society but the importance of a great Dad cannot be overstated. Anyway. I haven't noticed such a strong correlation of these factors with any other position or sport in general. So can we discuss the whys/hows without having to move the topic? I welcome your insight.

Did you do the breakdown on the elite from other positions? What do you think the typical upbringing for a wide receiver or cornerback are? I suspect that what you're going to find is that there are other factors, one really big one, that fit into the puzzle.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #208 on: June 18, 2021, 07:47:43 PM »
I've noticed that virtually almost 100% of NFL QBs (which is the highest position one can attain in team sports) come from stable 2-person families with strong father figures. And usually conservative families. . . .  So can we discuss the whys/hows without having to move the topic? I welcome your insight.

I'm not inclined to discuss it without having some certainty about the premise.  In particular, where did you get data about the political leanings of the 96 or so current NFL quarterbacks (or, if you were using "conservative" in some other sense, what did you mean by that)?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #209 on: June 19, 2021, 05:44:49 AM »

Did you do the breakdown on the elite from other positions? What do you think the typical upbringing for a wide receiver or cornerback are? I suspect that what you're going to find is that there are other factors, one really big one, that fit into the puzzle.

I assume you mean race? Point taken. But it's obvious when listening to these guys (QBs) and their parents they mostly came from conservative church-going families. Everyone knows Brady and Trump are linked. Maybe it's just that libs were too busy experimenting with drugs to take sports seriously?

Thanks Stads by the way for your thoughtful reply to the topic.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 06:11:24 AM by Dream Team »