Author Topic: 2021 NFL Thread v. Super Bowl 56: Rams vs Bengals  (Read 96291 times)

Offline T-ski

Re: 2021 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady going for his 133rd ring!
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2021, 11:39:21 AM »
So Jordan Love will be the Packers starting QB next year??

As a fan who wants the team to win, I hope not.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2021, 11:49:59 AM »
So Jordan Love will be the Packers starting QB next year??

As a fan who wants the team to win, I hope not.

Word on the street is that if AR doesn't get a trade to a team he wants (Denver) then he'll retire. I think he's done with GB.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2021, 03:27:02 PM »

Word on the street is that if AR doesn't get a trade to a team he wants (Denver) then he'll retire. I think he's done with GB.

Unless they fire the GM, who apparently is the guy Rodgers hates with a passion, I think I agree.  Rodgers seems like a guy who holds grudges and doesn't bluff, and I totally him saying, "Screw you guys, I'm going home," if they don't trade him or fire the GM.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2021, 03:34:35 PM »

Unless they fire the GM, who apparently is the guy Rodgers hates with a passion, I think I agree.  Rodgers seems like a guy who holds grudges and doesn't bluff, and I totally him saying, "Screw you guys, I'm going home," if they don't trade him or fire the GM.

So what's the story there? Is it because the front office wasn't drafting the players he wanted or is it because they drafted his supposed successor last year? I mean, Pack fans have got to be sick about this.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2021, 05:54:50 PM »

So what's the story there? Is it because the front office wasn't drafting the players he wanted or is it because they drafted his supposed successor last year? I mean, Pack fans have got to be sick about this.

Rodgers feels the front office (GM) doesn’t communicate their ideas on how/what changes need to be made, especially as it pertains to Rodgers. They dumped their QB coach a couple of years ago without Rodgers input and cut a WR Rodgers thought should make the team last season, and I guess things like this have been going on for a while. Cap it off with trading up in the first round last year to pick his replacement and here we are.

I can see it from both sides, but neither side is handling it well at all.

But if every fifteen years we have to deal with a Hall of Fame QB having a fit sign me up.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 06:06:55 PM by T-ski »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online pg1067

« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2021, 06:04:27 PM »
Some folks on the Jeopardy! Facebook page are hoping that Rodgers will be the new, permanent host.  I assume most are not aware that that would not be realistic since he's still playing.  I also joked that, if he got the job, he'd probably demand a trade to Wheel of Fortune.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2021, 11:24:19 AM »
Some folks on the Jeopardy! Facebook page are hoping that Rodgers will be the new, permanent host.  I assume most are not aware that that would not be realistic since he's still playing.  I also joked that, if he got the job, he'd probably demand a trade to Wheel of Fortune.

Well I didn't think he was that great as a host on J but J said that they could accommodate his schedule filming during the offseason. I hear that they do multiple shows a day. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Joe Buck hosting.

Bringing it back to sports - word on the street is that Denver is about to pull the trigger on a trade.

:lol (Trade to Wheel of Fortune) That's a good one......

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2021, 11:25:49 AM »
A few other things. They made a commitment to trade him then backed out. He wanted to go to SF. They never draft offensive help in the first round. If they had drafted Wirfs (or another receiver) last year instead of letting TB get him Rodgers is likely back in the SB. He’s had enough of the BS.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2021, 11:33:09 AM »
A few other things. They made a commitment to trade him then backed out. He wanted to go to SF. They never draft offensive help in the first round. If they had drafted Wirfs (or another receiver) last year instead of letting TB get him Rodgers is likely back in the SB. He’s had enough of the BS.

Brady never had a #1 pick that was for the offense until the last year with the Pats.  Harry was drafted #32.  The last in the 1st round.  How did that offense do?

BTW, the are all divas.  Every great QB is a diva.

EDIT:  It's offensive weapons for both.  Both have had O line picks. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2021, 11:36:21 AM »

Well I didn't think he was that great as a host on J but J said that they could accommodate his schedule filming during the offseason. I hear that they do multiple shows a day. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Joe Buck hosting.

Bringing it back to sports - word on the street is that Denver is about to pull the trigger on a trade.

They should have gotten Aikman, instead. "Oh, now that's just ridiculous. I can't believe you said that. Do they even screen contestants anymore?"
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2021, 11:40:22 AM »

Brady never had a #1 pick that was for the offense until the last year with the Pats.  Harry was drafted #32.  The last in the 1st round.  How did that offense do?

Terry Glenn, Randy Moss, Sony Michel, Brandon Cooks, and I'm sure there are several others.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2021, 12:22:17 PM »
Terry Glen is Bledsoe, Moss and Cooks drafted on other teams.  Yup.  I missed Michel.  The TV heads were talking that Rodgers had had no offensive weapons drafted while he was the Starter of GB.  That he wanted input into who was drafted. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2021, 12:23:43 PM »
I was wrong again with another player.  Maroney.  2006 Draft. 1st round.

Online pg1067

« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2021, 12:32:39 PM »

I'm looking forward to Buck too.  Filming an entire season of Jeopardy during the football offseason would be really difficult.  The standard schedule is to film five episodes per day, twice a week, and they pump out about 230 episodes per season.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2021, 10:35:21 AM »

They should have gotten Aikman, instead. "Oh, now that's just ridiculous. I can't believe you said that. Do they even screen contestants anymore?"

I'd pay money to see that.   :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2021, 10:37:06 AM »

I'm looking forward to Buck too.  Filming an entire season of Jeopardy during the football offseason would be really difficult.  The standard schedule is to film five episodes per day, twice a week, and they pump out about 230 episodes per season.

Well, if he retires, it's all moot.   "Trade me or I go host Jeopardy, bitches!"   

And as much as I like watching him play, "diva" is the right word; that GM he hates so much switched coaches for him with no compunction.   A man's got to know his limitations.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2021, 12:33:44 PM »
For all of his success, it is not surprising that not finishing the perfect season in 2007 still causes knots in Tom Brady's stomach.  It's always interesting how someone can be so wildly successful, yet still let a particular failure or two gnaw away at them forever.  It's human nature.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2021, 12:36:00 PM »
For all of his success, it is not surprising that not finishing the perfect season in 2007 still causes knots in Tom Brady's stomach.  It's always interesting how someone can be so wildly successful, yet still let a particular failure or two gnaw away at them forever.  It's human nature.
Yeah, very true. What amused me is that he quantified its value. Two rings, but not 3?  :lol
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2021, 12:58:09 PM »
His drive, competiveness is different than most.  He should be doing a modern day commercial like Robert Conrad did for Eveready batteries.  :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2021, 03:25:39 PM »
His drive, competiveness is different than most.  He should be doing a modern day commercial like Robert Conrad did for Eveready batteries.  :lol
It's funny. I've seen him do a commercial where I thought he could actually act pretty well. Not sure what it was for, but he was alluding to deflategate in it. Then I saw him in a local commercial for some service up there (might have been related to MRIs) and he was the worst actor I've ever seen. Looked like some awkward jr. high production.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2021, 03:33:01 PM »
But even in the MRI commercial, he's in total control of that. It's supposed to be kind of corny.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2021, 03:37:27 PM »
Yeah, very true. What amused me is that he quantified its value. Two rings, but not 3?  :lol

Haha, exactly.

This will be a weird analogy for some, but Tom Brady is to football what Taylor Swift is to music. Their greatness is so overwhelming now that it is impossible to ignore, but the haters are still there, yet their credibility it shot to hell.  The haters at this point might as well try pissing into a tornado. :lol  And like Taylor not winning a Grammy for Red (which destroyed her at the time) will likely always bug the crap out of her, TB12 not getting that perfect season will always bug him.  And I get it.  When you are used to winning, the rare losing is all the more crushing, especially when you are oh so close.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2021, 03:56:31 PM »
It's funny. I've seen him do a commercial where I thought he could actually act pretty well. Not sure what it was for, but he was alluding to deflategate in it. Then I saw him in a local commercial for some service up there (might have been related to MRIs) and he was the worst actor I've ever seen. Looked like some awkward jr. high production.

He's not bad but he's no Peyton when it comes to commercials.   Peyton slays it every time.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2021, 04:43:31 PM »

He's not bad but he's no Peyton when it comes to commercials.   Peyton slays it every time.
In fairness, Peyton's never asked to do anything but be Peyton. While Brady couldn't even to that in the MRI commercial, that doesn't exactly make Peyton Peter Ustinov.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2021, 04:52:48 PM »
I could add both acting on SNL.  Brady was good (the sexual misconduct skit) but Peyton's (Playing football with the kids) was outstanding. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2021, 05:06:20 PM »
I could add both acting on SNL.  Brady was good (the sexual misconduct skit) but Peyton's (Playing football with the kids) was outstanding.
Fair enough. The only thing I find worse than modern SNL is modern SNL with athletes hosting. I would have left the country if necessary to avoid watching those.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2021, 05:22:24 PM »
Especially Charles Barkley. lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2021, 06:29:52 PM »
In fairness, Peyton's never asked to do anything but be Peyton. While Brady couldn't even to that in the MRI commercial, that doesn't exactly make Peyton Peter Ustinov.

Peter Ustinov was the standard you chose to equate with excellence?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2021, 10:11:12 PM »

Peter Ustinov was the standard you chose to equate with excellence?
You got something against Peter Ustinov?  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2021, 07:52:19 AM »

Those commercials with Brad Paisley (who I also love) are classic.  I love the one where they are song-writing and Peyton is coming up with the lyrics.  The other one that's good is where Peyton makes the miniature city, and all the little characters have backstories. 

Compare to Tom's TikTok's, which look like one of those local car commercials (up here in CT it's usually a building tradesman, like a roofer) where the owner thinks he's Billy Friggin' Crystal, going for warm and homey and landing in awkward and stiff.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2021, 07:58:29 AM »
Him and Eli walking through the ESPN halls with their dad acting like little boys kills me every time. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2021, 08:04:13 AM »

Haha, exactly.

This will be a weird analogy for some, but Tom Brady is to football what Taylor Swift is to music. Their greatness is so overwhelming now that it is impossible to ignore, but the haters are still there, yet their credibility it shot to hell.  The haters at this point might as well try pissing into a tornado. :lol  And like Taylor not winning a Grammy for Red (which destroyed her at the time) will likely always bug the crap out of her, TB12 not getting that perfect season will always bug him.  And I get it.  When you are used to winning, the rare losing is all the more crushing, especially when you are oh so close.

There are famous people here, I guess, but I think there's a level of "celebrity" and "success" where you can no longer really say "they're just like you and me".   I've worked with people like that (Jack Welch comes to mind) who just view things differently.   I know it's fun and popular to say "Oh, Bruce is just a regular guy", or "Bono is a mate, mate!", but at a certain level, they're not.  These people work at their craft at a level that I think is just out of the ordinary for most people, and when that work, that craft, doesn't result in the goal at hand, it's something else to process.

That's why I always said that the Deflategate thing missed the point entirely.  Brady didn't tell anyone to in- or de-flate anything.   HE DIDN'T HAVE TO.  All he had to do is say "wow, it's so much better to throw a soft ball" and SOMEONE was going to take the initiative to do that. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2021, 08:32:07 AM »

Haha, exactly.

Would have been a lot nicer if you could have used Rush in your analogy.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2021, 08:34:05 AM »

Belichick drafted and coached well enough that Brady could "win" a Super Bowl by scoring 13 points. I don't think he needs our sympathy.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2021, 09:12:31 AM »

Belichick drafted and coached well enough that Brady could "win" a Super Bowl by scoring 13 points. I don't think he needs our sympathy.

No but the narrative that Rodgers never had help is laughable.  They've made the playoffs many times.  You still have to produce.

Also this Defense narrative for Brady is laughable as well.  Of course you need balance to win a SB.  Not one but 7 times.  It's weak to try to lesson what Brady has done by saying that.