Author Topic: The last “great” album was.....  (Read 5056 times)

Offline T-ski

The last “great” album was.....
« on: April 22, 2021, 12:47:07 PM »
Inspired by Kev’s Purple Rain thread.. what do you consider to be the last “great” album released?

Any genre goes.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The last “great” album was.....
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 01:12:04 PM »
Inspired by Kev’s Purple Rain thread.. what do you consider to be the last “great” album released?

Any genre goes.

Folklore by Taylor Swift.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 01:19:33 PM »
Haken - Vector & Virus
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 01:26:20 PM »
metal machine music by lou reed

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 01:30:46 PM »
Arch/Matheos - Winter Ethereal

I don't think anything hooked me as much as this since 2019.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 01:32:32 PM »
Random Access Memories - Daft Punk

I felt like it bridged a lot of gaps between musical genres and those genres' fans. I feel like there's something for everyone on that album.

Of course I'm trying to be as objective as possible and not pick anything prog (because as a mostly niche genre, it doesn't have the wide reach a truly "great album" should have, like the ones in the other thread about Best Selling Albums, most of which would be considered great albums, even if you don't listen to those specific artists).

But if I had to pick a personal favorite, and a prog one at that, I'd probably pick Transatlantic's The Whirlwind. I don't think I'll ever get tired of that one.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DTA

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 01:35:15 PM »
Sepultura’s Quadra from January 2020. The best metal album I’ve heard in many years from a band who many thought peaked in the mid 90’s.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 01:42:21 PM »
Fates Warning - Theories of Flight

That was the last album that completely blew me away

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 01:44:33 PM »
Not sure how many folk-rock fans are around here, but the last Lumineers album (III) blew my mind, and has been on constant rotation since last year.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 02:06:00 PM »
I honestly don’t know how to answer this question.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 02:11:05 PM »
In terms of recent release date I'm thinking maybe Wilderun's latest, or the Vennart album from last year. Digging the new GYBE too.

Offline emtee

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 02:13:58 PM »
Halen- Virus
IQ- Resistance

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 02:17:18 PM »
Digging the new GYBE too.

That’s my pick.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 02:19:06 PM »
Random Access Memories - Daft Punk

I felt like it bridged a lot of gaps between musical genres and those genres' fans. I feel like there's something for everyone on that album.

-Marc.

I follow this as I've said the last stone cold banger track that had mass appeal was "Get Lucky." Even though its been 8 years now, which is sad.

If I picked a personal, last record that I found to be perfect, flawless, and still holds up:

2015's Small Leaks Sink Ships - Face Yourself and Remove Your Sandals.
Just by default, it's the last album that I've rated at a perfect 5-stars.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 02:19:27 PM »
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - L.W.

Latest album from a band I was already quite into, but this is easily their best album yet IMO.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 03:35:26 PM »

Yeah, same.

"Great" album as in...? an album I think it's great? an album that will become a classic?  an album that since its release, nothing else came around that was even better? an album that if it was released in another era it would have entered the list of best selling albums of all time we're currently discussing in another topic?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 03:44:22 PM »

Yeah, same.

"Great" album as in...? an album I think it's great? an album that will become a classic?  an album that since its release, nothing else came around that was even better? an album that if it was released in another era it would have entered the list of best selling albums of all time we're currently discussing in another topic?
Yeah, all this.

Great albums come out all the time.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2021, 04:12:07 PM »
I've clearly answered this differently than others did.  There are plenty of records I really, really love - the new Transatlantic is a "great" album.   But I answered more existentially; "great" as in "Thriller" or "Back In Black".  Iconic, transcendent of genre, appealing cross-generationally.   There are records being named that are in no way shape, or form "iconic", "transcendent of genre" or "cross-generationally appealing". 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2021, 05:32:05 PM »
Somehow these threads keep leading me to the same answer.

Billie Eilish-When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?

This collection of songs completely changed my view on pop music. The music Billie and her brother Finneas create is nothing short of amazing. They deserve all of the accolades they’ve been receiving.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2021, 06:16:37 PM »
I gotta think,,,, alot...  not sure I can process the question  LOL
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2021, 06:45:03 PM »
I've clearly answered this differently than others did.  There are plenty of records I really, really love - the new Transatlantic is a "great" album.   But I answered more existentially; "great" as in "Thriller" or "Back In Black".  Iconic, transcendent of genre, appealing cross-generationally.   There are records being named that are in no way shape, or form "iconic", "transcendent of genre" or "cross-generationally appealing".

I totally know what you mean. I think Evermore is great as well, but Folklore was the first, and will likely be viewed as the more iconic and transcendent album over time.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2021, 07:06:34 PM »
I'll go with the new LTE! Killer album, and one where I don't feel the need to skip any tracks (unlike the first 2 LTE albums or any DT albums for that matter). Maybe it's that new car smell that's clouding my objectivity, but I don't think so. Before that, I'd go with The Breath of Life version of The Absolute Universe (yes, I prefer it over Forevermore).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2021, 07:16:54 PM »

Any genre goes.

Folklore by Taylor Swift.

1989. It ruled the world for awhile

Offline Skeever

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2021, 07:49:26 PM »
Covet - "Technicolor" would be my pick. 2020 album so not too long ago.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2021, 05:57:12 AM »
Clockwork Angels  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2021, 06:18:40 AM »

Yeah, same.

Yeah, all this.

Truer words have not been spoken in this thread.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Skeever

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2021, 07:15:31 AM »
I'll go with the new LTE! Killer album, and one where I don't feel the need to skip any tracks (unlike the first 2 LTE albums or any DT albums for that matter). Maybe it's that new car smell that's clouding my objectivity, but I don't think so. Before that, I'd go with The Breath of Life version of The Absolute Universe (yes, I prefer it over Forevermore).

Inclined to agree with this too.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2021, 07:19:01 AM »

Yeah, same.

Yeah, all this.

Truer words have not been spoken in this thread.

But albums for the ages do not.   That's the real difference in some of the answers here.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2021, 07:25:49 AM »
Sorry I wasn’t specific enough in my original post.

Basically what I’m looking for is any album that in 20-25 years will be considered among the best albums ever released.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2021, 07:30:15 AM »

Basically what I’m looking for is any album that in 20-25 years will be considered among the best albums ever released.

That eliminates about 94% of the answers here!   (I kid!  I kid!)  :) :) :)

I'm sticking with folklore.  If not, then 1989. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2021, 07:33:26 AM »
I thought 1988 was a good year too!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2021, 08:09:25 AM »
I don't care about the general pop culture as much as I care about other music, but I'm rarely surprised when the big albums of the day wind up being things that no one really cares much about in the future, while stuff that seems overlooked at the time often generates a surprising amount of life. I've having fun googling "2001 albums". Here's the top 10 albums I got from "albumoftheyear.com", and what I think of them now.

1. The Strokes - This is It. Could not care less. As for others, I have no idea. They were down with Bernie, so maybe they have some fans who like them for that.
2. Radiohead - Amnesiac. I'd say I still like this, and so do a lot of people.
3. Daft Punk - Discover. Not my cup of tea, but arguably more popular now.
4. Bjork - Vespertine. Love it. Still a classic, too.
5. The Microphones - Glow pt 2. Who? What?
6. Gorillaz - Gorillaz. Thought it as OK then and still feel the same about it now. Not really sure how Damon Albarn has managed to wiggle into relevancy for like 3 decades but I'm not against it.
7. System of a Down - Toxicity. Loved in then. Don't care about it now. Seems like it's still loved in the metal community.
8. Muse - Origin of Symmetry. Never cared for it. Never really got Muse beyond a few tracks. I wonder how popular they are now?
9. Jay Z - The Blueprint. Some nice songs. But Overrated then, and rated just right now (I think most people consider it overrated these days, too). But I guess it was kind of like an artistic awakening for Jay, with more soul beats and introspective songs and stuff. 
10. Tool - Lateralus. Loved it then. No feeling toward it whatsoever now. Most metal fans people would probably say it's still great.

I tried doing the same thing for 2020, but honestly, I haven't heard any more than a third of what came up.

On this note, I would have NEVER imagined that LTE1/2 and those early Transatlantic records would wind up being so adored that people would still be hyped about those projects 20ish years later. I like them at the time too, but never imagined they'd become such fixtures in terms of how people think about the artists involved. TA especially is pretty much bigger than any of the main projects of the guys involved at this point.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 08:15:54 AM by Skeever »

Offline HOF

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2021, 08:30:02 AM »
On this note, I would have NEVER imagined that LTE1/2 and those early Transatlantic records would wind up being so adored that people would still be hyped about those projects 20ish years later. I like them at the time too, but never imagined they'd become such fixtures in terms of how people think about the artists involved. TA especially is pretty much bigger than any of the main projects of the guys involved at this point.

For me, both of those albums expanded my interest in prog beyond the prog-metal sphere significantly (TA more than LTE, but LTE pushed some boundaries in terms of fusion and non-heavy stuff as well). I’d go so far as to say the first two Transatlantic albums are possibly the most important prog albums since the 70s in terms revitalizing the genre and pushing it to a bigger audience (even though the individual members were already starting to revitalize things in their own respective bands before that).

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2021, 08:51:43 AM »

For that you have to have...

Huge commercial success.
Huge critical success.
A couple of huge singles that will likely still be being played years later.
An album that is accessable to as many people as possible, including music snobs.
A unique sound that others copied.
A story behind it.

So I'm going for Amy Winehouse - Back to Black.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2021, 09:01:38 AM »

For me, both of those albums expanded my interest in prog beyond the prog-metal sphere significantly (TA more than LTE, but LTE pushed some boundaries in terms of fusion and non-heavy stuff as well). I’d go so far as to say the first two Transatlantic albums are possibly the most important prog albums since the 70s in terms revitalizing the genre and pushing it to a bigger audience (even though the individual members were already starting to revitalize things in their own respective bands before that).

But are either of those albums broad enough to qualify here?  My kid knows (and likes) Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours".  She knows "Back In Black" (and likes the single, "You Shook Me...").   She has no idea of LTE or TA.  She MIGHT get it if I said "TA is a band with the guy you went to his songwriting seminar", or maybe "he's the Jesus guy" (I say that with no disrespect whatsoever). 

I don't make it a habit of listening to mid-20's female pop-stars writing songs from their diaries.  But folklore (or 1989) are THAT GOOD.  There's a connection there for this 50+ year old twice-married father of four.   I can RELATE to "Wildest Dreams", maybe even MORE now that I'm older.  folklore too.  That to me is what makes a great - transcendent - album.