Poll

How Many of the Best-Selling Albums of All-Time Have You Listened to in Full?

All of them
0 (0%)
21-23
6 (11.8%)
16-20
16 (31.4%)
11-15
11 (21.6%)
6-10
10 (19.6%)
1-5
7 (13.7%)
None of them
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: How Many of the Best-Selling Albums Have You Listened to in Full?  (Read 2734 times)

Offline HOF

Re: How Many of the Best-Selling Albums Have You Listened to in Full?
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2021, 03:59:46 PM »
1-5, or more specifically, 2. A couple years ago, I listened to Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall in full. Those are the only two albums from the 30+ million lists. Goes to show how little I've been exposed to new music up until last year!

Even if I were to mention individual songs I've heard, aside from the two PF albums, the only other songs from any of these albums that I've ever heard are "Hells Bells" from AC/DC and "Black Dog" from Led Zeppelin, and I only even know Black Dog because of the roulette I hosted a while ago.

You've never heard "Stairway To Heaven" or "Hotel California"? 

Man.  I can't imagine that.  That's like me never having heard "Hound Dog" or "Twist And Shout".   I really don't mean this judgmentally, but observationally: if I hear an artist I like referencing someone, I will generally try to expose myself to it, just to be familiar with it.

Oh! I have heard Stairway to Heaven before, so that'll make an extra song I've heard from any of these albums. As for Hotel California, though, I don't believe I've ever heard that one.

Count yourself lucky. That song is awful.   :)

Yeah, I wouldn’t mind un-hearing Hotel California.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2021, 04:18:23 PM »
Oh! I have heard Stairway to Heaven before, so that'll make an extra song I've heard from any of these albums. As for Hotel California, though, I don't believe I've ever heard that one.

Yeah, I wouldn’t mind un-hearing Hotel California.

And here I thought it was alright after listening to it just recently! :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2021, 04:45:12 PM »
I've listened to 17 of them. More than I thought.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2021, 08:20:07 PM »
About 16. Now I kinda want to listen to them all.

Chillin out with Brothers in Arms rn. Heard it before, but it's been a long time.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2021, 09:24:03 PM »
I've listened to 20 out of 24.  I physically own 18 of the 24.

The only ones I haven't heard are:
Shania Twain - Come On Over
Michael Jackson - Dangerous
Celine Dion - Falling Into You
Celine Dion - Let's Talk About Love

The 2 I've heard but don't own:
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell (I HATE this album)
Michael Jackson - Bad

Offline HOF

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2021, 10:05:44 PM »
I've listened to 20 out of 24.  I physically own 18 of the 24.

The only ones I haven't heard are:
Shania Twain - Come On Over
Michael Jackson - Dangerous
Celine Dion - Falling Into You
Celine Dion - Let's Talk About Love

The 2 I've heard but don't own:
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell (I HATE this album)
Michael Jackson - Bad

I kind of wonder what allowed Bat Out of Hell to become such a huge thing. RIP Jim Steinman though. He had a knack for writing major hits, including some from Celine Dion’s Falling Into You.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2021, 10:37:24 PM »
28 for me
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2021, 04:05:18 AM »
Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell (RIP Jim Steinman, you'll be missed)
Metallica - Black album
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

Also not following Pink Floyd I truly don't remember if I ever listened out of curiosity to Dark Side of the Moon at least once. I heard the DT version, not so sure I've heard the original.

I also have a blank about Led Zeppelin. Do they have a double greatest hits? because in that case I've heard that, not so sure I ever listened their albums in full.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2021, 04:06:03 AM »
1-5, or more specifically, 2. A couple years ago, I listened to Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall in full. Those are the only two albums from the 30+ million lists. Goes to show how little I've been exposed to new music up until last year!

Even if I were to mention individual songs I've heard, aside from the two PF albums, the only other songs from any of these albums that I've ever heard are "Hells Bells" from AC/DC and "Black Dog" from Led Zeppelin, and I only even know Black Dog because of the roulette I hosted a while ago.

Man.  I can't imagine that.  That's like me never having heard "Hound Dog" or "Twist And Shout".   I really don't mean this judgmentally, but observationally: if I hear an artist I like referencing someone, I will generally try to expose myself to it, just to be familiar with it.

:hifive: :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2021, 04:46:07 AM »
Quite a few, actually.

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
Eagles - Hotel California
The Beatles - Sgt Pepper
Metallica - Metallica
The Beatles - 1
The Beatles - Abbey Road
ABBA - Gold
Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2021, 05:09:19 AM »

:hifive: :lol

It's probably one of those songs that get played up and down on every radio station for decades now and because of that, you have heard it half a million times and don't want to hear it anymore. But that doesn't mean the song is "awful".
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2021, 05:18:40 AM »
No, I agree. It's not necessarily a bad song, but it's not something I'll ever intentionally listen to and I don't actual enjoy hearing it whenever it does pop up somewhere. I guess it's a pretty good track. The guitar solo is iconic, and its chorus is very memorable, but is it that good for the amount of time it gets played? I don't know. let's not WildRanger this thread.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline darkshade

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2021, 05:29:40 AM »
Interestingly, there isn't much music recorded and released after 1999 on that list.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2021, 05:41:52 AM »
Maybe that’s because a) older albums havr had more time to reach 25 million sales, and b) CD sales have declined since about the 1990’s.
Squ

Offline darkshade

« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2021, 06:07:44 AM »
Maybe that’s because a) older albums havr had more time to reach 25 million sales, and b) CD sales have declined since about the 1990’s.

I disagree.

Without looking it up, I assume most of these albums hit 20-25 million long before now, and long before 2001.

This list includes more than just CD sales, some of these albums were released before CDs existed.

Napster/Spotify/downloads/etc.. is one reason why music sales have dipped the last 20 years.
That, and I think the market is fractured, along with no artist or band doing anything musically interesting anymore to sweep 20-30 million people off their feet.
The music business can't even get the Ariana Grande's of the day to outsell Tracy Chapman, Lionell Richie, or Eminem.

I think Adele is the only current artist on that list, mainly because:

In October 2015, numerous journalists speculated that other musicians had pushed back their album releases in order to avoid chart competition with Adele; artists such as Justin Bieber, Rihanna, Sam Smith, and One Direction all did this so that their sales would not be affected.

and

Adam Shewin of The Independent stated that "25 sent casual purchasers back to the remaining physical stores and may even have introduced a new generation to the delights of ownership."[200] The album was described as saving the music industry, which was seeing dwindling profits with downloading and streaming as the popular methods of music consumption.[111] The album was also noted for boosting sales of retailer Target, which sold the extra track edition of 25, during Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Target Chief Executive Brian Cornell stated that 25 was "the biggest release we've ever had – this is going to break all the records for us" and that "the combination of Adele dropping when it did, the weekend before Thanksgiving, really helped bring in people".
from wikipedia

I'm not an Adele fan, the music is too slow, sombre, and depressing, but maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can explain why her "25" album was so anticipated? Why did other artists go out of their way to help her with her new album at the time??

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2021, 06:07:57 AM »
All but one of those that sold 30 million (excl. OSTs and live records) and up. (I didn't listen to Falling Into You by Céline Dion). If the ones selling below 30 million had been included, I'd have a much higher number here.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2021, 06:08:57 AM »
15, more than I thought. This gives me some new albums to listen to.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2021, 06:10:37 AM »
All but one of those that sold 30 million (excl. OSTs and live records) and up. (I didn't listen to Falling Into You by Céline Dion). If the ones selling below 30 million had been included, I'd have a much higher number here.

The page includes a list of albums that sold 20-29 million units.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2021, 06:22:59 AM »
It does, but this was the question in the OP: "This Wikipedia article ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums ) lists 24 albums (excluding soundtracks and greatest hits albums) as having sold 30 million or more copies.  How many of the 24 have you listened to in full?", so it's still 23 out of 24 for me.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2021, 06:35:19 AM »
I remember a thread on Reddit asking "which record will never be broken". Can we assume that due to the enormous shift that happened with music, the purchase of it and the new technologies there will never, ever be another album that will sell more than Thriller?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2021, 06:41:20 AM »
22.  I haven't listened to either of the Celine Dion albums.

This is me as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2021, 06:49:37 AM »

This is me as well.

Yeah, baby.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2021, 09:25:57 AM »
I kind of wonder what allowed Bat Out of Hell to become such a huge thing. RIP Jim Steinman though. He had a knack for writing major hits, including some from Celine Dion’s Falling Into You.
Steinman definitely has a sound.  Even Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" and Air Supply's "Making Love Out Of Nothing At All".  His style is unmistakable.  But, I find the Meat Loaf material to be unlistenable.  I've never been able to put my finger on just what it is I dislike about it so much.  Perhaps it's all of its melodrama.  Too over-the-top.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2021, 09:29:44 AM »
I kind of wonder what allowed Bat Out of Hell to become such a huge thing.
The fact that it's fucking awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2021, 09:41:00 AM »

This is me as well.

Yeah, baby.

Golly.

I kind of wonder what allowed Bat Out of Hell to become such a huge thing.
The fact that it's fucking awesome.

Boom.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2021, 10:00:54 AM »
28 for me

Out of 24?

I think IM confused on the list   Im gonna look again   
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2021, 10:04:34 AM »
OK  to me it looked like the top 40m  then a list of 39- 30m  then another list...thats why said 28 or even more actually

Online pg1067

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2021, 10:26:11 AM »
I also have a blank about Led Zeppelin. Do they have a double greatest hits? because in that case I've heard that, not so sure I ever listened their albums in full.

Not really.  There are a bunch of "box set" style compilations ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_discography#Compilation_albums ).  The 1990 4-CD set is pretty well known (and is Diamond certified by the RIAA).  Others have been successful, but I'm not familiar with any of them.

No, I agree. It's not necessarily a bad song, but it's not something I'll ever intentionally listen to and I don't actual enjoy hearing it whenever it does pop up somewhere. I guess it's a pretty good track. The guitar solo is iconic, and its chorus is very memorable, but is it that good for the amount of time it gets played? I don't know. let's not WildRanger this thread.

Stairway to Heaven has a chorus?

In part, I think it's because a lot of folks may have bought an album on vinyl initially, maybe also bought a cassette for the car, then bought it on CD, and maybe bought a remaster or two.  Of course, that probably only applies to stuff released before the CD became the primary listening media.  I bought two copies of Zeppelin's untitled 4th album but only one of "The Black Album."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2021, 10:33:07 AM »

I disagree.

Without looking it up, I assume most of these albums hit 20-25 million long before now, and long before 2001.

This list includes more than just CD sales, some of these albums were released before CDs existed.

Napster/Spotify/downloads/etc.. is one reason why music sales have dipped the last 20 years.
That, and I think the market is fractured, along with no artist or band doing anything musically interesting anymore to sweep 20-30 million people off their feet.
The music business can't even get the Ariana Grande's of the day to outsell Tracy Chapman, Lionell Richie, or Eminem.

I think Adele is the only current artist on that list, mainly because:

In October 2015, numerous journalists speculated that other musicians had pushed back their album releases in order to avoid chart competition with Adele; artists such as Justin Bieber, Rihanna, Sam Smith, and One Direction all did this so that their sales would not be affected.

and

Adam Shewin of The Independent stated that "25 sent casual purchasers back to the remaining physical stores and may even have introduced a new generation to the delights of ownership."[200] The album was described as saving the music industry, which was seeing dwindling profits with downloading and streaming as the popular methods of music consumption.[111] The album was also noted for boosting sales of retailer Target, which sold the extra track edition of 25, during Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Target Chief Executive Brian Cornell stated that 25 was "the biggest release we've ever had – this is going to break all the records for us" and that "the combination of Adele dropping when it did, the weekend before Thanksgiving, really helped bring in people".
from wikipedia

I'm not an Adele fan, the music is too slow, sombre, and depressing, but maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can explain why her "25" album was so anticipated? Why did other artists go out of their way to help her with her new album at the time??

I have nothing to back this up, but I think the "Napster" thing is way overblown.   There's a couple reasons I think that:   one, I know too many people that didn't use Napster to just flood their collections, but rather to either fill gaps or to "digitize" what they already had (that's what I did; I had a thing: I wouldn't download anything I didn't already own on vinyl or cassette or CD).   Two, those albums had a LONG run, including at least one if not two format changes, to get to "25 million" or whatever it is.   I know people that have three versions of some of those record (Eagles Greatest comes to mind, as does Grease).   I know I have at least four copies of the Grease soundtrack (two vinyl, from a marriage, one cassette, and a CD).  Three, even if I own music legally, format is less of an issue now.   I only need to buy it once.  I'm finding that I used to buy the "CD/DVD" packages, and I don't even have to do that anymore.  I can and do rip my DVDs/Blu-rays to my network drive and save myself anywhere from $10 to $15 in the process.  Four, ALBUMS don't matter; again, even if I buy legally. I used to have to choose between a shitty 7" single, or the album if I wanted ANY song that wasn't a single.  Now, if I want side A?  Just buy those songs I want.  This was widely considered why Led Zeppelin was so successful commercially; they never bastardized their album sales with singles.   You wanted Stairway to Heaven?  Zep IV was the only option!   

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2021, 11:07:59 AM »
That kinda Adult Contemporary music (Celine Dion, Adele, etc) is a weird thing.  How else can you explain Susan Boyle having the best selling album worldwide in 2009?!?  (It's toward the bottom of the Wiki page for these best-selling albums). It's one of those things like "I don't know anyone who listens to it.  But, apparently, everyone is listening to it."

Some of the albums on this list are just absolute juggernauts.  I mean, Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon spent over 900 weeks on the Billboard 200 in the 70's and 80's.  That's over 17 years!!!   That's an album so good that people who owned it on vinyl bought it on cassette 8-9 years later and bought it again on CD.  Metallica's Black Album spent over 300 weeks on the chart.  That's not people rebuying an album in a new format.  That's staying power.  New people discovering music.  Nowadays, an album is #1 selling 60K copies and drops off the chart a couple weeks later.  I guarantee people who bought/downloaded Ariana Grande's latest album won't be saying they need to purchase it again 5 years later in a different format.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2021, 12:44:27 AM »
for me it'd be 9.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2021, 08:41:21 PM »
I've listened to 17 of them. More than I thought.  :corn

Me too. I thought it be something like 10. Surprised it was 17, but

Nevermind is probably the only one post-1990

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2021, 02:12:08 AM »
Six among the 30+ers

Dark Side of the Moon
Hotel California
Sgt. Pepper
Abbey Road
The Wall
Brothers in Arms

Then among the 20-29ers

Hybrid Theory
(What's the Story) Morning Glory?
Wish You Were Here
Breakfast in America
Tommy

Offline Volante99

« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2021, 02:40:57 AM »
I’m at 16 out of 24. If you include the soundtracks and greatest hits the % jumps up considerably.

I am honestly SHOCKED there are people here who have never listened to Dark Side of the Moon and LZ IV all the way through.

I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say this but Dark Side of the Moon is perhaps the greatest artistic achievement within the album format, ever conceived. If you consider yourself a fan of prog or even just music, stop what you’re doing, sit down, put some headphones on, and listen to that album immediately.