Poll

How Many of the Best-Selling Albums of All-Time Have You Listened to in Full?

All of them
0 (0%)
21-23
6 (11.8%)
16-20
16 (31.4%)
11-15
11 (21.6%)
6-10
10 (19.6%)
1-5
7 (13.7%)
None of them
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: How Many of the Best-Selling Albums Have You Listened to in Full?  (Read 2735 times)

Offline pg1067

This Wikipedia article ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums ) lists 24 albums (excluding soundtracks and greatest hits albums) as having sold 30 million or more copies.  How many of the 24 have you listened to in full?

EDIT:  "listened to in full" means either that you listened to it in one sitting from start to finish or have otherwise heard every song.

For me, it's 1-5:  Back in Black. Led Zeppelin untitled, Sgt. Pepper, Metallica's Black Album, and Abbey Road.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 02:45:01 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: How Many of the Best-Selling Albums Have You Listened to in Full?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 01:11:49 PM »
Around 20, don't mean I like them all though.

Missing (no, not really) Celine Dion and one or two others.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 01:14:45 PM »
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Pink Floyd  - The Wall

Just five, I guess.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 01:15:20 PM »
It's easier for me to list the one's I HAVEN'T:

Shania Twain - Come On Over
Michael Jackson - Dangerous
Celine Dion - Falling Into You
Adele - 21
Celine Dion - Let's Talk About Love
Santana - Supernatural

Even if you include soundtracks/greatest hits, there are only two more:  The Bodyguard and Dirty Dancing. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 01:16:25 PM »
Only 8 of them.

Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell
Eagles - Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975)
Eagles - Hotel California
Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Beatles - 1
Beatles - Abbey Road
Bruce - Born in the U.S.A.
Pink Floyd - The Wall 

** I've listened to Horner's Titanic soundtrack 100+ times

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 01:16:45 PM »
I'm at 13.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline krands85

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 01:19:35 PM »
Led Zeppelin IV
Metallica
Nevermind
Bat out of Hell too probably, as I remember listening to my parents CD of it when I was a kid.
I feel like I must have heard Dark Side of the Moon at some point as well, but I can't actually be sure.

A paltry number  :lol but not unexpected, since I've never really listened to pop music or very much that was released before the mid 80s.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 01:20:33 PM »
I suppose some of this is age, but while I don't target this at any one person, I don't know how you move through life not having heard "Dark Side Of The Moon" or "Abbey Road" or "Thriller" or "Zeppelin IV".  These aren't just records; they are cultural icons.   It turned out these are some of my favorite records, but I didn't "choose" to hear them. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 01:20:56 PM »
Ten, but part of it depends on what we mean by "listened to in full." I've never in my life made a point to sit and listen to Thriller. At the same time I've heard every song on the album countless times. I suspect that's probably true of Rumours, as well.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 01:21:43 PM »
12, apparently.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 01:24:08 PM »
16 I think.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 01:26:38 PM »
Even if you include soundtracks/greatest hits, there are only two more:  The Bodyguard and Dirty Dancing.

If you included greatest hits albums, I'd add one to mine:  Eagles Greatest Hits.

it depends on what we mean by "listened to in full." I've never in my life made a point to sit and listen to Thriller. At the same time I've heard every song on the album countless times. I suspect that's probably true of Rumours, as well.

Good point.  My intent was to include either a straight through listen or having heard all of the songs separately.

I suppose some of this is age, but while I don't target this at any one person, I don't know how you move through life not having heard "Dark Side Of The Moon" or "Abbey Road" or "Thriller" or "Zeppelin IV".  These aren't just records; they are cultural icons.   It turned out these are some of my favorite records, but I didn't "choose" to hear them. 

As I pointed out in the thread that inspired this one, if I don't like a band or the one or two songs I get exposed to off an album, I'm not likely to have listened to it.  I mentioned Thriller in the other thread.  As for Floyd, I liked the "we don't need no education" song when I heard it back in 7th or 8th grade, but I've never otherwise liked anything I've ever heard by Floyd, so I have and never have had any reason to listen to any full album.  All of the albums on the list were iconic (hence why they sold so well), but if you don't like a band, there's just no reason to listen to entire albums.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 01:29:13 PM »
16-17 range for me.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 01:35:04 PM »
1-5, or more specifically, 2. A couple years ago, I listened to Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall in full. Those are the only two albums from the 30+ million lists. Goes to show how little I've been exposed to new music up until last year!

Even if I were to mention individual songs I've heard, aside from the two PF albums, the only other songs from any of these albums that I've ever heard are "Hells Bells" from AC/DC and "Black Dog" from Led Zeppelin, and I only even know Black Dog because of the roulette I hosted a while ago.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 01:38:39 PM »

As I pointed out in the thread that inspired this one, if I don't like a band or the one or two songs I get exposed to off an album, I'm not likely to have listened to it.  I mentioned Thriller in the other thread.  As for Floyd, I liked the "we don't need no education" song when I heard it back in 7th or 8th grade, but I've never otherwise liked anything I've ever heard by Floyd, so I have and never have had any reason to listen to any full album.  All of the albums on the list were iconic (hence why they sold so well), but if you don't like a band, there's just no reason to listen to entire albums.

Not even by osmosis?  I mean, I strongly dislike The Eagles, but when I was in college, everyone brought their records around in a milk crate, and you'd be hard-pressed to find even two or three rooms on a floor that didn't have one of Eagles Greatest Hits, Dark Side Of The Moon, Led Zeppelin IV, Abbey Road or Rumors (you could add Steve Miller's Greatest Hits and The Dead "What A Long Strange Trip" as well).   I was a metal head going into college, and I learned/listened to SO MUCH music in college it was ridiculous, a lot of it inadvertently or passively. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2021, 01:42:12 PM »
1-5, or more specifically, 2. A couple years ago, I listened to Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall in full. Those are the only two albums from the 30+ million lists. Goes to show how little I've been exposed to new music up until last year!

Even if I were to mention individual songs I've heard, aside from the two PF albums, the only other songs from any of these albums that I've ever heard are "Hells Bells" from AC/DC and "Black Dog" from Led Zeppelin, and I only even know Black Dog because of the roulette I hosted a while ago.

You've never heard "Stairway To Heaven" or "Hotel California"? 

Man.  I can't imagine that.  That's like me never having heard "Hound Dog" or "Twist And Shout".   I really don't mean this judgmentally, but observationally: if I hear an artist I like referencing someone, I will generally try to expose myself to it, just to be familiar with it. 

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 01:44:43 PM »

Man.  I can't imagine that.  That's like me never having heard "Hound Dog" or "Twist And Shout".   I really don't mean this judgmentally, but observationally: if I hear an artist I like referencing someone, I will generally try to expose myself to it, just to be familiar with it.

Oh! I have heard Stairway to Heaven before, so that'll make an extra song I've heard from any of these albums. As for Hotel California, though, I don't believe I've ever heard that one.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2021, 01:49:15 PM »
I'm at 19. But I'm not a fan of all of them either. I think I've heard Appetite For Destruction once. I like GnR, but I rarely listen to a full studio album by them. I've heard Nevermind, but I don't like it.

And I've heard 1 (Beatles) and Their Greatest Hits (Eagles), too - quite often actually ;)

The ones I haven't heard are
both Celine Dion albums,
the Shania Twain album,
the Alanis Morrisette album and
Back In Black (though I surely have heard most of the songs on there).
any rock can be made to roll

Offline pg1067

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2021, 01:50:43 PM »

Not even by osmosis?  I mean, I strongly dislike The Eagles, but when I was in college, everyone brought their records around in a milk crate, and you'd be hard-pressed to find even two or three rooms on a floor that didn't have one of Eagles Greatest Hits, Dark Side Of The Moon, Led Zeppelin IV, Abbey Road or Rumors (you could add Steve Miller's Greatest Hits and The Dead "What A Long Strange Trip" as well).   I was a metal head going into college, and I learned/listened to SO MUCH music in college it was ridiculous, a lot of it inadvertently or passively.

You and I apparently had very different college experiences.  You apparently lived on campus and in a dorm (and probably graduated in four years like a normal person).  I lived at home.  I went to one of the UC schools for my first year and spent most of my time with my best friends who had the same taste in music that I did.  I changed schools and majors multiple times over the next more years than I care to admit (all at either community colleges or commuter universities).  My best friends remained, and most of the new friends I made had similar tastes in music.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2021, 01:51:04 PM »

Oh! I have heard Stairway to Heaven before, so that'll make an extra song I've heard from any of these albums. As for Hotel California, though, I don't believe I've ever heard that one.

I'm sure once you hear it you'll go "ooh that one"  ;)

Either way, I strongly recommend listening to that song, it has a great guitar battle at the end! The acoustic version from Hell Freezes Over is amazing as well.
any rock can be made to roll

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2021, 01:51:37 PM »
Of the Top 24..

Thriller
Back In Black
DSOTM
Zeppelin IV
Jagged Little Pill
Metallica

Of the rest..

Nevermind
Appetite
Slippery
Boston
Hysteria
WYYH
Breakfast In America

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2021, 01:54:29 PM »
Let’s see, I count 6 (excluding greatest hits) going down the list of 30 million or more:

Dark Side of the Moon
Rumors (I think. I own it at least but rarely listen to it).
Jagged Little Pill (great album)
Sgt. Pepper
Abbey Road
The Wall

From the 20-29 million group:

Unplugged (Eric Clapton)
No Jacket Required
Bridge Over Troubled Water
The Joshua Tree
The Sign (Ace of Base - bought this for my wife actually and the kids love it)
Cross Road (Bon Jovi)
Hysteria
Wish You Were Here

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2021, 01:55:00 PM »
12 total

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2021, 01:55:41 PM »
14 of 24. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline faizoff

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2021, 02:00:38 PM »
I think I counted 31. Several of the albums not counted in my total, I've heard a good chunk though not the full album.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2021, 02:04:08 PM »
I think I counted 31. Several of the albums not counted in my total, I've heard a good chunk though not the full album.

31 out of 24?  :huh: :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2021, 02:08:04 PM »
22.  I haven't listened to either of the Celine Dion albums.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2021, 02:11:35 PM »

31 out of 24?  :huh: :lol

-Marc.

Ah nevermind didn't read the OP excluding greatest hits and soundtracks and only listing from 30 million and upwards. Then my list would be 17.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2021, 02:14:07 PM »
From that criteria in the OP.

Back in Black
Led Zeppelin IV
Appetite for Destruction

I don't know why I haven't listened to the Black album in full.  Just haven't had the chance or the investment to listen to it in full.  Obviously, I've heard all the key songs.  Also, the only other album from that page I've heard in full was Hybrid Theory.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2021, 02:24:32 PM »
13 or 14 (can't remember for sure if I heard all of The Wall, but I think so). 

Of the first 9 and sold over 40 million, I have heard 6 of those (and at one point, owned them).  It might be 7 if I have heard the entirety of the Eagles greatest hits.  I never listened to all the songs on that specific album.  But pretty sure I have likely heard most or all of the songs at one time or another, so no idea whether that counts.   
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2021, 02:24:46 PM »
MJ - Thriller
MJ - Bad
MJ - Dangerous
FM - Rumors
Nirvana - Nevermind
Metallica

Wow, that's it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2021, 02:51:03 PM »
I've listened to 14/24:
Thriller
Back in Black
Bat out of Hell
TDSOTM
LZ IV
Sgt Pepper
Metallica
Abbey Road
Born in the USA
The Wall
Brothers in Arms
Nevermind
Appetite
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2021, 03:26:49 PM »

I'm sure once you hear it you'll go "ooh that one"  ;)

Either way, I strongly recommend listening to that song, it has a great guitar battle at the end! The acoustic version from Hell Freezes Over is amazing as well.

I gave it a listen just now. It was good, but I didn't recognize it at all. Well, either way, I guess I can add that to the small list of songs I know from best-selling albums I've never listened to now!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2021, 03:31:24 PM »
14. Not terrible.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2021, 03:58:27 PM »

Count yourself lucky. That song is awful.   :)
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.