Author Topic: Artists/bands where you love ALL BUT ONE of their albums?  (Read 2378 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Artists/bands where you love ALL BUT ONE of their albums?
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2021, 06:40:04 AM »
I liked Pull Harder in 2005 but the album didn't really move me. I don't enjoy a lot of screaming vocals. And Matt's were really screechy on that album.

It wasn't until I heard the song " In Waves " that I went 'Oh hang on a minute...'. That whole album is a masterpiece to me.

VF was like 10 songs that didn't make In Waves in literally any order with no theme. It seemed so rushed. And Paolo said in twitter

they didn't like how hot it sounded.

I don't give two fux that there's no harsh vocals on Silence In the Snow. It's all about the songs to me and that album sounds great and has really good songs.

But yeah the last two albums have been amazing.

Dead Men might be my least fav Trivium album.  It didn't really stick with me.  Felt like leftovers from the album before.

Ascendancy is still their pinnacle for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2021, 08:27:52 AM »
Agalloch - The Serpent And The Sphere is probably the closest answer for me. I don't LOVE all of their other albums, but they're all great, and their final album was a big step down in quality.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2021, 09:00:09 AM »
Machine Head - Catharsis
Trivium - Vengeance Falls

Catharsis sure is an interesting record hey.  I don't mind a chunk of it but there's certainly a couple of absolute WTF moments.

I've persevered with Catharsis and there is the odd track I don't mind.
I definitely forgot about this album.  I probably haven't listened to that album once since the first week or two it was released.  And, that's coming from someone who really likes 'Supercharger'.  Listening to a lot of Phil Demmel interviews since his exit, that album was definitely Robb's project, even more than the other albums are.  He's gone so far as to say it might as well have been a Robb solo album.  Phil and Dave wanted to go super heavy/thrashy and Robb wasn't interested in that. 

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2021, 06:05:13 AM »
Only Kyuss comes to my mind. Not a fan of their debut Wretch, love the next 3 albums.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2021, 09:02:35 AM »
Now For Plan A - The Tragically Hip.

I maybe don't love all their 12 other albums but this one is quite a bit weaker in my opinion.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2021, 05:22:51 PM »
Kevin Gilbert:

I can honestly say I *love* almost everything he released between his Solo releases and the bands he was in. Other than probably the Kaviar Demo, which I do enjoy and need to revisit as its been many years since I listened to the whole thing. But it is so dark, twisted, sarcastic and cynical, that much of it doesn't quite resonate with me as much as his other work. Plus a lot of it has an industrial style to it, which even with it being Kevin Gilbert, at this point for me, industrial music has its limitations for my taste.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2021, 06:52:56 PM »
Neal Morse (prog solo output) - I love just about everything under the "Neal Morse" name... but that last album (Sola Gratia) does absolutely NOTHING for me. I keep waiting for it to connect, and it just never does.

SR-71 - a band with only three albums, but I love both the debut and the final one. The middle one (Tomorrow) has a few good songs, but nothing as great as the rest of the catalog.

The Offspring - really digging the new one. Conspiracy of One is the one dud in their discography.

Michael Jackson - I only count his six adult albums in his discography. They all slay, except the last one I just didn't get into (Invincible).
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2021, 04:39:39 PM »
Invincible isn't a bad MJ album IMHO. Not my favourite, but I still listen to it here and there. Having said that, all the other ones get to be thrown on more often. Bad is my personal favourite.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline DTA

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2021, 05:21:27 PM »
Invincible isn't a bad MJ album IMHO. Not my favourite, but I still listen to it here and there. Having said that, all the other ones get to be thrown on more often. Bad is my personal favourite.

Threatened has such a killer groove to it. Underrated album imo

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2021, 06:27:49 PM »

Threatened has such a killer groove to it. Underrated album imo
yes, really really nice. Quite a few others too. Cool album despite the circumstances surrounding it.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2021, 07:12:37 AM »
Cinderella - Heartbreak Station.

I LOVE the first one, "Night Songs", their "AC/DC" album.   I LOVE the second one, "Long Cold Winter", which is a little more... melodic.   Kind of Aerosmith-y.   I HATE the third one, "Heartbreak Station", which is their "Small Faces" record; lots of songs with acoustic guitars and train metaphors which fall flat for me.   I really like their fourth, and last, "Still Climbing", which is sort of a combo of all that came before (plus it has my favorite Cinderella song, "The Road's Still Long".)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2021, 02:27:02 PM »
I liked Night Songs, and I did buy Long Cold Winter when it came out, but I never thought all that much of it. I was pretty much done with them at that point, no that I was really with them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2021, 07:20:27 AM »

I LOVE the first one, "Night Songs", their "AC/DC" album.   I LOVE the second one, "Long Cold Winter", which is a little more... melodic.   Kind of Aerosmith-y.   I HATE the third one, "Heartbreak Station", which is their "Small Faces" record; lots of songs with acoustic guitars and train metaphors which fall flat for me.   I really like their fourth, and last, "Still Climbing", which is sort of a combo of all that came before (plus it has my favorite Cinderella song, "The Road's Still Long".)

Do you consider Cinderella glam metal or not?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2021, 07:33:17 AM »
Let's see

Queen - Hot Space: Under pressure is great but the rest of the songs are just awful.
Rush - Rush: I never feel the need to revisit this album

I think that's it. Every other band has either more than 1 album I don't like or, in King Crimson's case, none.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2021, 08:18:37 AM »

Rush - Rush: I never feel the need to revisit this album

I agree about Rush debut. It's a very weak album and it sounds like a third-rate Led Zeppelin.
Unlike a lot of classic rock bands Rush made an unmemorable debut album that is not a classic at all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2021, 08:25:37 AM »

Not really.   More Aerosmith than glam. 

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2021, 11:35:29 AM »
Absolutely!  Although, the cover of 'Night Songs' says differently.   :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2021, 12:31:18 PM »
Absolutely!  Although, the cover of 'Night Songs' says differently.   :lol

Shot, incidentially, at the end of Headhouse Square at the corner of 2nd and Pine in Philadelphia.   I lived about five blocks south of there. 

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2021, 06:17:48 AM »
Dream Theater — The Astonishing

This.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."