Author Topic: Artists/bands where you love ALL BUT ONE of their albums?  (Read 2379 times)

Offline The Letter M

Artists/bands where you love ALL BUT ONE of their albums?
« on: April 21, 2021, 11:22:58 AM »
Here's the inverse of the other thread - there's a band or artist you love, but for one reason or another, there is one album that you just cannot get into, or for one reason or another you just simply ignore but you seem to enjoy the rest of their discography.

Off the top of my head, I think the first band I could think of would be Yes. Until Heaven And Earth, I could listen to pretty much any of their albums and enjoy them (yes, even Open Your Eyes), but their last studio album was a real bore and snoozefest for me. I don't think I've listened to it since the month it was released. Every other album before that has at least quite a few redeeming songs and qualities about it but H&E is so awful, and even though it had one song that I liked, I just never went back to it.

I tried to think if there was a Rush or Dream Theater album that I just did not like, but I really do enjoy all of their albums (even the lesser-well-received ones, like early Rush or DT's debut and Falling Into Infinity).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Re: Artists/bands where you love ALL BUT ONE of their albums?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 11:34:18 AM »
Dream Theater — The Astonishing

Other than that, I'm game for pretty much any one of their albums (even WDADU) at any time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 11:53:29 AM »
Aerosmith: Honkin' On Bobo
Boston: Corporate America
Deep Purple: Come Taste The Band
Kiss: Carnival Of Souls
Marillion: Less Is More
Van Halen: VHIII

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 12:01:45 PM »

good list  I tend to agree
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 12:22:11 PM »

Come Taste The Band is excellent!

I've never heard Honkin' On Bobo but there's no way that's not the only sucky Aerosmith album. I think I checked the last one and it was awful.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 12:26:56 PM »
Toto: Toto XIV (thanks Carlock)
Deep Purple: Slaves And Masters (thanks Lyn Turner)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 12:37:35 PM »
I WISH a band existed that fit this description.

Even my favorite bands have put out multiple albums I don't LOVE:

Rush:  s/t, GUP, POW, HYF, RTB, CA
Fates Warning:  Brocken, Disconnected, FWX
DT:  FII, SC, BC&SL, TA
etc., etc.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 12:53:54 PM »

Other than that, I'm game for pretty much any one of their albums (even WDADU) at any time.

This is the right answer.

I’ll also add Spocks Beard (Noise Floor), Symphony X (debut), Allen/Lance (the Timo one).  I’m sure I could think of others if I really tried.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 01:00:12 PM »

I've never heard Honkin' On Bobo but there's no way that's not the only sucky Aerosmith album. I think I checked the last one and it was awful.

"Taste" would be a better album if it wasn't a "Deep Purple" album.   Remember, I hated Glenn Hughes for years and years, and only started to like him when he started singing ROCK with Tony Iommi.  That funk shit he brought to Purple ruined them (and me) for years.  To this day I hate that melismatic type of singing.

Offline DTA

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 01:20:43 PM »
U2 - No Line On The Horizon.

If they’d stuck with their original idea to make it a more atmospheric album and didn’t cave to pressure to insert bland “radio” songs it might be more listenable to me.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 01:54:48 PM »

I don't know that Toto album, but what's wrong with the drumming on there? I think Keith Carlock is out of this world. Just listen to Donald Fagen's Morph The Cat...
any rock can be made to roll

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 02:16:55 PM »

"Taste" would be a better album if it wasn't a "Deep Purple" album.   Remember, I hated Glenn Hughes for years and years, and only started to like him when he started singing ROCK with Tony Iommi.  That funk shit he brought to Purple ruined them (and me) for years.  To this day I hate that melismatic type of singing.

I don't think Ritchie Blackmore was too crazy about the funk stuff either.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 03:15:24 PM »

This.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 03:25:14 PM »
Metallica-St. Anger. I don’t think I need to really go into detail on this one. Probably the most well known example of a bad album by a great band.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline HOF

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 03:48:57 PM »
I think the closest for me would be Genesis, with Trespass being the one I don’t really love (not counting From Genesis to Revelation). But mostly it’s just one I don’t listen to very much so I don’t really have a strong opinion about it one way or another. There are some nice songs on it.

Edit: well, I also don’t love The Lamb. Sort of forgot about that one. Some great moments on that one as well though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2021, 03:57:27 PM »
Porcupine Tree - On the Sunday of Life (the only PT studio album of the 10 of which I am not a big fan; I don't dislike it, I am just not a big fan)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 04:10:09 PM »
Redeemer of Souls from Judas Priest popped into my head.  I've grown to love everything from Priest.  Even Demolition and Nostradamus, but ROS I thought was bland, boring, lifeless and sounded like shit.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2021, 04:14:57 PM »
Iron Maiden: Virtual XI

Offline jammindude

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2021, 06:02:30 PM »
Iron Maiden: Virtual XI

This is the best and most accurate answer. What a beer coaster that album is. And made worse by the fact that TXF was so fantastic...so it wasn’t Blaze. I think Steve just lost the plot with VXI.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2021, 06:35:40 PM »

Definitely crap.

----------------------------

Metallica (St. Anger)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Artists/bands where you like ALL BUT ONE of their albums?
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2021, 08:28:57 PM »
I think the word "Love" vs "Like" should be define-able in these topics.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2021, 09:32:11 PM »
Dream Theater - The Astonishing (Even seeing this tour couldn't change my mind about this album!)
Metallica - St. Anger
Pantera - Reinventing The Steel

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2021, 12:39:49 AM »
Avenged Sevenfold - Hail to the King
Machine Head - Catharsis
My Chemical Romance - I Bought You My Bullets, You Bought Me Your Love
NOFX - Liberal Animation
Trivium - Vengeance Falls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2021, 01:16:01 AM »
Machine Head - Catharsis

Catharsis sure is an interesting record hey.  I don't mind a chunk of it but there's certainly a couple of absolute WTF moments.

VF grew on me.  The production hurts it but it's aged pretty well for me.  It's near the bottom of the Trivium chain though.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2021, 01:21:28 AM »
We should also define "love". I don't "love" Metallica's Load, ReLoad and Death Magnetic, but I can listen to them just fine and enjoy the best songs. St. Anger however is an atrocious abomination.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2021, 01:24:03 AM »
Here's a weird fact: I listen to St. Anger more often than probably any other Metallica album  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2021, 01:26:29 AM »
Putative definition of love: "Love is all you need".  :heart

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2021, 01:40:09 AM »
Machine Head - Catharsis

Catharsis sure is an interesting record hey.  I don't mind a chunk of it but there's certainly a couple of absolute WTF moments.

VF grew on me.  The production hurts it but it's aged pretty well for me.  It's near the bottom of the Trivium chain though.

I've persevered with Catharsis and there is the odd track I don't mind. With Vengeance Falls and Hail to the King, I know I only ever spun those albums once and felt there was nothing there that made me wish to revisit.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2021, 01:45:06 AM »
Mudvayne - A New Game

It's still good, but I just didn't really like it that much. But I haven't listened to it in ages either.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2021, 01:49:20 AM »
Here's a weird fact: I listen to St. Anger more often than probably any other Metallica album  :lol

Good for you! I heard it TWICE and refused to acknowledge its existance ever again.

Then those "remixes" appeared where a guy on YouTube played the whole album singing like James and streamlining the songs here and there, and I thought, "what the hell, so many years have passed, let's give it a try" and NOPE NOPE NOPE it's truly an horrible album.

Title track is cool (enjoyed it live), The Unnamed Feeling too, and Frantic is barely endurable. The rest, I will never ever want to listen to it again.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2021, 02:28:16 AM »
I f-ing love St Anger but you have to be in the right mood.

The one I can't endure is And Justice For All. Which sounds like two guys just jamming in a concrete room. To Live Is To Die is awful. By far their worst instrumental. It's so plodding.

The lack of bass really doesn't help. Because it's an instrumental - it literally sounds like a guitarist and drummer just improvising for 9 minutes into a tape deck.

I'm not in the " Bob Rock Ruined Metallica " camp at all but - the new Offspring album sounds like shit too.

- I agree with Vengeance Falls. It ruined a really good run from Shogun to In Waves to Silence In The Snow to The Sin And The Sentence to What The Dead Men Say.

I also don't really like anything before Shogun though. Ember is too much like a demo for me. I don't like Ascendancy and yeah The Crusade :P

I'd love them to do a one off re-recording of Ascendancy with Alex on drums and Matt's deeper voice. His voice was way too screechy on Ascendancy.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2021, 02:57:44 AM »
I f-ing love St Anger but you have to be in the right mood.

The one I can't endure is And Justice For All. Which sounds like two guys just jamming in a concrete room. To Live Is To Die is awful. By far their worst instrumental. It's so plodding.

The lack of bass really doesn't help. Because it's an instrumental - it literally sounds like a guitarist and drummer just improvising for 9 minutes into a tape deck.

I'm not in the " Bob Rock Ruined Metallica " camp at all but - the new Offspring album sounds like shit too.

- I agree with Vengeance Falls. It ruined a really good run from Shogun to In Waves to Silence In The Snow to The Sin And The Sentence to What The Dead Men Say.

I also don't really like anything before Shogun though. Ember is too much like a demo for me. I don't like Ascendancy and yeah The Crusade :P

I'd love them to do a one off re-recording of Ascendancy with Alex on drums and Matt's deeper voice. His voice was way too screechy on Ascendancy.

I love To Live is to Die, possibly my fave track on the album!

I can't say I love St Anger but I don't really have that big a problem with it anymore.

With Trivium, Ascendancy is probably my favourite album, followed very closely by Shogun. I also really enjoy The Crusade. It's got a few duds but And Sadness Will Sear and Entrance of the Conflagration are bangers.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2021, 03:50:58 AM »
I liked Pull Harder in 2005 but the album didn't really move me. I don't enjoy a lot of screaming vocals. And Matt's were really screechy on that album.

It wasn't until I heard the song " In Waves " that I went 'Oh hang on a minute...'. That whole album is a masterpiece to me.

VF was like 10 songs that didn't make In Waves in literally any order with no theme. It seemed so rushed. And Paolo said in twitter

they didn't like how hot it sounded.

I don't give two fux that there's no harsh vocals on Silence In the Snow. It's all about the songs to me and that album sounds great and has really good songs.

But yeah the last two albums have been amazing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2021, 04:22:01 AM »
Can I say Caligula's Horse - Rise Radiant ?

Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline romdrums

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2021, 05:59:18 AM »
Can I say Caligula's Horse - Rise Radiant ?

Yes you can, and I will say it with you.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.