Author Topic: Artists/bands where you love ONLY one of their songs?  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Artists/bands where you love ONLY one of their songs?
« on: April 20, 2021, 08:44:20 PM »
Not sure if this would be easier, or harder, than the thread about albums.

The Beach Boys - Sloop John B. This song has been a favorite of mine since I was in college, literally the 'worst trip I'd ever been on." And I mean Mt Rushmore level favorites. I like some of their other stuff, but aside from being a landmark in American culture, their catalog doesn't really do anything for me. Sloop John B will never cease to bring a smile to my face.

Linda Ronstadt - Long Long Time. Few songs hit me as emotionally as this one. I couldn't tell you the name of another one of her songs.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Artists/bands where you love ONLY one of their songs?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 09:40:01 PM »
Lawrence Gowan - Criminal Mind.    I like him in Styx too.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 09:45:40 PM »
U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday

Online HOF

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 09:55:35 PM »
Patty Smyth - Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough. I just think it's a great pop song and performance.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 10:26:33 PM »
Pretty much any grunge/alt-rock band that broke in the early 90s.  Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Violent Femmes, Jane's Addiction, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, yada yada

I could also list a shit-ton of one-hit wonders, but that's probably a whole 'nother thread.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 11:13:01 PM »
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Higher Ground  (and it's not even their song) ....................loved it back in the day anyway.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 11:23:17 PM »
blink-182 - Stay Together For The Kids
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online geeeemo

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 12:36:20 AM »
Supertramp - School

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 01:53:16 AM »
blink-182 - Stay Together For The Kids

Nice. I mean I love Blink-182, but if you're only going to listen to one song, that's a great pick.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 02:02:02 AM »
Len - If You Steal My Sunshine
LL Cool J - I Need Love (don't judge me)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 02:24:54 AM »
Pink - U + Ur Hand (but then again, I should try and check out more songs from her to begin with)

Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God (not a fan of the style and the vocals at all, but damn this song kicks ass)

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 03:36:33 AM »
Madonna - Frozen

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 04:22:29 AM »
Foo Fighters- Everlong

I like My Hero as well, but only love everlong

Offline krands85

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 04:58:13 AM »
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss is one that immediately comes to mind.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 05:03:58 AM »
Weezer - Say It ain't so.
Silversun pickups - Lazy Eye
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online DTA

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2021, 05:41:12 AM »
I've tried with them, but Meshuggah's Bleed is the only song of theirs I can get into

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 06:06:25 AM »
A Perfect Circle - Judith

Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill (I'm good with many of his tunes but I absolutely love this one)

Good point. Well done.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2021, 06:15:14 AM »
Sponge-Plowed
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2021, 06:18:59 AM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2021, 06:19:53 AM »
Poison - Fallen Angel

Even in the later 80's, when I was knee deep in MTV and hair metal, I never really cared for their songs all that much. Always thought Fallen Angel was great, though.

Online HOF

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2021, 06:28:21 AM »
Sponge-Plowed

I really liked their Rotting Piñata album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2021, 06:45:22 AM »
Sponge-Plowed

I really liked their Rotting Piñata album.

I was given a copy of whatever album Plowed and gave it a listen. I thought it wasn't bad, but it's ultimately not a style or band that would have staying power with me. Still, I love that song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2021, 11:10:37 AM »
There's probably too many to list.

Jackson Browne - Boulevard (MAYBE Running On Empty, but the rest of his catalogue I find tiresome and boring)
Madonna - Beautiful Stranger (there are other songs I like a little - Like A Prayer, Ray Of Light - but this song is so head and shoulders above...)
Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street (I like Right Down The Line, but it's not of the calibre of Baker Street, nor is anything else)
Winger - Down Incognito (I like Pull generally, but everything else, nah.)
Motley Crue - Primal Scream (I LOVE that song; I like Dr. Feelgood, so maybe Crue is a "like one album band", but since I can't stand Vince Neil or his voice, the rest of the catalogue is a snoozer for me)
Collective Soul - December
Green Day - Jesus Of Suburbia (Live)  (I like some other stuff; their cover of Tired of Waiting, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Wake Me Up..., but they are one of the most overrated bands I've ever heard)

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2021, 11:21:05 AM »
KISS - Strutter
Pantera - Cemetery Gates

Offline pg1067

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2021, 12:44:21 PM »

That's a good one.

Others are really random (mostly I've only ever heard one song and/or one-hit wonder):

The Corrs - Breathless
Warrant - I Saw Red
Peter Gabriel - Solisbury Hill
Stevie Wonder - Higher Ground
Tommy Tutone - Jenny (867-5309)

There are others of that ilk, but I can't recall them off the top of my head.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2021, 08:35:05 PM »
"Love" or "Like"?

I only *like* 1 Radiohead song "Planet Telex"
I only *like* 1 Linkin Park song "Breaking the Habit"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2021, 09:01:31 PM »
I was going for "love," as in, songs you'd consider putting in your Top 20/25 of all time, making them true outliers.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2021, 09:42:53 AM »
Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2021, 10:31:15 AM »
Warrant - Uncle Tom's Cabin

I'm with you here.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2021, 10:55:02 AM »
I was going for "love," as in, songs you'd consider putting in your Top 20/25 of all time, making them true outliers.

If that's the criteria, then the list expands greatly!   

Tom Petty; I like a fair amount of his music, but not all of it (especially when he started working with Jeff Lynne) but "Mary Jane's Last Dance" is head and shoulders above everything in his catalogue (except maybe "Jammin' Me").

INXS; they have some good tunes, but "The Stairs", from "X" is FAR AND AWAY my favorite song of theirs.   Everything else is 'eh, ok', that song is transcendent.

Ultravox; a couple catchy songs, but for me, they begin and end with "Vienna". 

Harry Nillson; a couple good tunes - "Me And My Arrow"; "Jump Into The Fire" - but nothing approaches "Without You". 

Mountain; I have a greatest hits that is good, but I honestly wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't for "Nantucket Sleighride".

Hmm, this hurts me, because I have more Grateful Dead than any other band on my iPod because of all the live stuff I have.  I love their concerts, and can get lost in the jams (I'm a "second set" guy by a long shot), but if I'm being honest, as much as I like "China Cat Sunflower" and "Estimated Prophet", the only studio song I ever really actively go listen to is "Terrapin Station". 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2021, 10:57:58 AM »

The the definition of "love" is that narrow, then none of the songs I mentioned would fit.  While I've never given any thought to making a top 20/25 list, none of the songs I mentioned would be in it (and, since I've never given any thought to making such a list, I don't know whether any songs would qualify).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2021, 07:17:30 PM »
The Outfield - Your Love (this is the only song I actually know by them, but I LOVE it)

Motley Crüe - If I Die Tomorrow (most of their stuff is fine. In one ear and all that. But this song came out one college summer and I couldn't get enough of it)
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2021, 12:48:44 AM »
Oh there's loads (particularly if you include pop acts) so I'll keep it down to a few headline songs I can write something about...

The Screaming Jets - Better.

Kerrang! used to really talk up this lot back in the day and I happened to record an episode of Noisy Mothers (blast from the past for any Brits...), as I often did back then, where it got played and loved it. It took me years to eventually get hold of the album it was on and the rest of their songs were almost average.

Reamonn - Supergirl.

I got introduced to this song by a German girl I went out with briefly 20 years ago... the rest of their stuff wasn't up to much, but fair play to her, this was a good one.

Inside - Stiltskin.

As far as I remember they didn't exist as a band before they recorded a song written for a jeans advert and the full album that followed it up wasn't particularly good as they tried to scrabble to cash in on the surprise success. The singer ended up in Genesis for a couple of years, which seemed an odd one to me when I found out.

b.l.o.w. - I See An Angel Sitting In A Tree Outside My Window.

When the Little Angels split up after failing to set the world on fire, which was a huge shame as their second album was brilliant, a couple of them (the brothers, at least) went on to form b.l.o.w. and they put out a very uninteresting EP before disappearing - the guitarist (the real Bruce Dickinson) eventually turned up at a University giving lectures about the music industry, although Little Angels have played a bunch of reunion gigs over the years after they reconciled at the funeral of their original drummer, who died too young (Michael Lee - played with Plant/Page).

This song wasn't really theirs and didn't even make it onto that EP release iirc (they might've used it as a b-side though), it was a pre-existing song from the lead singer they played at gigs and I managed to again catch an episode of Noisy Mothers where they featured the band and showed them playing the song live. It took a very, very long time before the internet coughed up some version of the song and there's now the singer's (as David 9 Lunas) version on Spotify. Still love it.

Gun - Word Up.

Yep, that Word Up, at least their cover of it. Kinda summed them up that their best song by a mile was a cover tune. My wife likes them a lot more than me, but that's because she's Scottish and was legally obliged to like them in the 90s.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2021, 02:02:32 AM »
For me it is:

Thrice - Daedalus

I adore this song, but no other Thrice song has clicked.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2021, 05:25:55 AM »
Slayer-Angel of Death
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask