Poll

What Is Your Favorite Four-Album Run by Rush?

S/T, FBN, COS, 2112
0 (0%)
FBN, COS, 2112, AFTK
1 (1.3%)
COS, 2112, AFTK, Hems
0 (0%)
2112, AFTK, Hems, PEW
5 (6.4%)
AFTK, Hems, PEW, MP
30 (38.5%)
Hems, PEW, MP, Signals
17 (21.8%)
PEW, MP, Signals, P/G
5 (6.4%)
MP, Signals, P/G, POW
9 (11.5%)
Signals, P/G, POW, HYF
6 (7.7%)
P/G, POW, HYF, Presto
1 (1.3%)
POW, HYF, Presto, RTB
1 (1.3%)
HYF, Presto, RTB, CP
1 (1.3%)
Presto, RTB, CP, TFE
0 (0%)
RTB, CP, TFE, VT
0 (0%)
CP, TFE, VT, S&A
0 (0%)
TFE, VT, S&A, CA
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: POLL: What Is Your Favorite Four-Album Run by Rush?  (Read 4566 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: POLL: What Is Your Favorite Four-Album Run by Rush?
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2021, 07:05:45 PM »

As for You Not Me, when I first heard FII, New Millennium was a jumbled mess, YNM was better, but it was a bit of "WTF is this?!"  After a lot of my favorite bands disappointed me in the early/mid-90s, FII was just another stab in my musical heart.

I felt the same way, brother. I vividly remember my first listen to FII. New Millennium felt like it was trying too hard to be epic but it fell on its face...hard. And YNM? They should've titled it WTF? After two songs my first thought was...that was quick, as in I got 3 good albums out of Dream Theater before they sold out..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2021, 07:07:59 PM »
You Not Me is easily top half of FII in my book

Was that the same book Costanza took into the bathroom at Brentano's?

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2021, 12:27:13 AM »
If MP had never said anything about the background of YNM, it'd probably have a lot better reputation than it does (because it's an awesome song with a great riff and catchy vocal melodies).
YNM is awful.

YNM is awful, but nothing annoys me more in the FII than Burning My Soul.   :-\

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2021, 06:05:59 AM »
Not only Tai Shain is hated but also Rivendell is among hated Rush songs. Never figured out why.
It's kinda boring to me, but what is really that bad about song?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2021, 06:17:43 AM »

I don't get the reference at all, but if that's supposed to be saying that I'm wrong, then I raise you an album with Burning My Soul, New Millenium, Take Away My Pain, Just Let Me Breathe & Anna Lee. That's 5 out of 11 tracks, You Not Me is next. The other 5 I think are better. Almost top half. Damn.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline pg1067

« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2021, 10:12:57 AM »

As for You Not Me, when I first heard FII, New Millennium was a jumbled mess, YNM was better, but it was a bit of "WTF is this?!"  After a lot of my favorite bands disappointed me in the early/mid-90s, FII was just another stab in my musical heart.

I felt the same way, brother. I vividly remember my first listen to FII. New Millennium felt like it was trying too hard to be epic but it fell on its face...hard. And YNM? They should've titled it WTF? After two songs my first thought was...that was quick, as in I got 3 good albums out of Dream Theater before they sold out..

Exactly.  I was still reeling from Load the year before and, before that, Promised Land.  My favorite bands were dropping like flies (although Rush was trending upward).  At least I had A Pleasant Shade of Gray.

Not only Tai Shain is hated but also Rivendell is among hated Rush songs. Never figured out why.
It's kinda boring to me, but what is really that bad about song?

In the nearly 40 years I've been aware of that song, I have never once heard or seen anyone express hatred for Rivendell.  I've never seen anything stronger than "It's kinda boring," which is a sentiment with which I completely agree.

I don't get the reference at all, but if that's supposed to be saying that I'm wrong, then I raise you an album with Burning My Soul, New Millenium, Take Away My Pain, Just Let Me Breathe & Anna Lee. That's 5 out of 11 tracks, You Not Me is next. The other 5 I think are better. Almost top half. Damn.

I don't get the reference either (Seinfeld was always far more "miss" than "hit" for me).  For me, the five songs worth listening to on FII are, in album order, YNM, Hollow Years, Hell's Kitchen, Anna Lee and Trial of Tears.  Lines in the Sand would be next, but I can't stand the chorus.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2021, 12:25:54 PM »

Exactly.  I was still reeling from Load the year before and, before that, Promised Land.  My favorite bands were dropping like flies (although Rush was trending upward).  At least I had A Pleasant Shade of Gray.

HA!  See, by that time I had endured Turbo, No Prayer For The Dying, the first McCauley Schenker record, No Rest For The Wicked, Kiss Dynasty, Unmasked, The Elder, AND Crazy Nights, Get A Grip, Fly On The Wall, the entire keyboard era of Rush...  I was well primed.   :) :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2021, 01:05:16 PM »

HA!  See, by that time I had endured Turbo, No Prayer For The Dying, the first McCauley Schenker record, No Rest For The Wicked, Kiss Dynasty, Unmasked, The Elder, AND Crazy Nights, Get A Grip, Fly On The Wall, the entire keyboard era of Rush...  I was well primed.   :) :)

How come you didn't list your first marriage Stads? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DTA

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2021, 02:37:46 PM »
If MP had never said anything about the background of YNM, it'd probably have a lot better reputation than it does (because it's an awesome song with a great riff and catchy vocal melodies).
YNM is awful.

The spectrum of taste runs so wide. You Not Me is an almost perfect hard-rock song to me and sits above a lot of other DT songs in my ranking, and so many fans dislike it. Yet a lot of those same fans love stuff like A Rite Of Passage, This Dying Soul, The Best Of Times, and A Nightmare to Remember which I think are absolute garbage.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2021, 03:04:06 PM »

How come you didn't list your first marriage Stads? :lol

HA!  I could have!   :)   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2021, 03:37:36 PM »
Right?  Lol.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Trav86

« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2021, 06:09:46 PM »
YNM is awful.

The spectrum of taste runs so wide. You Not Me is an almost perfect hard-rock song to me and sits above a lot of other DT songs in my ranking, and so many fans dislike it. Yet a lot of those same fans love stuff like A Rite Of Passage, This Dying Soul, The Best Of Times, and A Nightmare to Remember which I think are absolute garbage.

Agreed.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2021, 06:36:22 PM »
The Best Of Times is A+ amazing! And This Dying Soul crushes everything else in the 12 Step Suite, which I know isn't saying much, but I still consider it a Top 15-20 DT song
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2021, 06:49:52 PM »
The Best Of Times is A+ amazing! And This Dying Soul crushes everything else in the 12 Step Suite, which I know isn't saying much, but I still consider it a Top 15-20 DT song

Disagreed.

Sorry…just trying to be funny. I’ve never been a fan of either of those songs. Like, I like parts of each of them. Just not the songs as a whole. I don’t want to be negative about the lyrics of TBOT because of the subject and what it means to MP and it would be disrespectful. So, I’ll just leave it at that.
Can't we find the minds

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2021, 06:57:01 PM »

Disagreed.

Sorry…just trying to be funny. I’ve never been a fan of either of those songs. Like, I like parts of each of them. Just not the songs as a whole. I don’t want to be negative about the lyrics of TBOT because of the subject and what it means to MP and it would be disrespectful. So, I’ll just leave it at that.

It's cool, man. Just two dudes talking about music over a couple of beers. I actually find the lyrics to TBOT quite moving. They are quite literal, but honest. I don't need some Neil Peart fancy words to describe the emotions involved.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2021, 07:23:02 PM »

Disagreed.

It's cool, man. Just two dudes talking about music over a couple of beers. I actually find the lyrics to TBOT quite moving. They are quite literal, but honest. I don't need some Neil Peart fancy words to describe the emotions involved.

You don't have to type it out Tim.  We know words confuse you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2021, 07:25:07 PM »
The same way quote pyramids confuse you.. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2021, 07:40:27 PM »
 :lol

Oops. What a pair we are you simpleton.  Bedtime. Early day tomorrow. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2021, 07:41:27 PM »
I get up at 4am everyday now. Off on Wednesdays.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2021, 04:30:26 AM »
Got to take the old man for his scan results.  They've held off the cancer treatments since it hasn't grown after it shrunk.  Hoping for the same today.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2021, 07:00:30 AM »
YNM is awful.

YNM is awful, but nothing annoys me more in the FII than Burning My Soul.   :-\

Did someone call that noise in YNM a riff? What an insult to riffs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2021, 07:45:21 AM »
YNM is awful.

3 of those songs are awful.  This Dying Soul is fine if I'm in the right mood, but I certainly don't love it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2021, 12:46:05 PM »
Honestly, I don't get the hate for any of those 4 songs. They may each have some agreed upon flaws (Bebot solo, MP's roar, etc) but I think those things are pretty minor in comparison to some of the other tracks.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2021, 01:24:01 PM »
Maybe someone needs to make a "bottom 5 DT songs" thread....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2021, 02:19:35 PM »
YNM is awful.

3 of those songs are awful.  This Dying Soul is fine if I'm in the right mood, but I certainly don't love it.

I agree, but I don't like TDS  :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2021, 06:50:15 PM »
Honestly, I don't get the hate for any of those 4 songs. They may each have some agreed upon flaws (Bebot solo, MP's roar, etc) but I think those things are pretty minor in comparison to some of the other tracks.

My issues with This Dying Soul, A Nightmare to Remember and A Rite of Passage is basically that they are messy. To me, they just sound all over the place as far as structure.

But I would like to add to what I mentioned about The Best of Times. TAC said that he thought the lyrics were moving and he doesn’t need “Peart” level lyrics for a song. I agree 100% with that. And I do think the song is moving both musically AND lyrically. My problem is just that it is so literal and specific that it’s not as relatable for me. Yes, it’s Mike’s story to tell, and I don’t fault him at all. It’s not that I think it’s wrong, or bad, or not “fancy” enough. It’s just a personal preference.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2021, 09:05:08 PM »

This book as been flagged!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2021, 09:15:13 PM »

May I ask what do YOU read in the bathroom?  :rollin

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2021, 04:24:39 PM »

Me too, I think. Although Desmond still doesn't sit too well with me.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2021, 04:41:56 PM »

May I ask what do YOU read in the bathroom?  :rollin

Right now it's the 20th Century Hockey Chronicle. Wanted to review the1975-76 NHL season.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2021, 07:51:21 PM »

What would be your bottom 5 or 10?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2021, 09:09:27 AM »

What would be your bottom 5 or 10?

Anna Lee
Through Her Eyes
Vacant
Forsaken
Ministry Of Lost Souls
In The Presence Of Enemies 1 +2
Raw Dog
Lost Not Forgotten

Could be a few more that I'm not thinking of at the moment.
Untethered Angel

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2021, 09:21:06 AM »
This is hard, because while I love the band, and will listen to most albums all the way through, I don't know that any songs are so bad that they stand out as the "worst five".

You Not Me is probably on there.   It's not the lyrics, though, it's the "Yeeewwwwwwwwww, not Meeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy" background vocals.

Lines In The Sand.  Doug Pinnick, nuff said.

I'm not a fan of growl vocals, so maybe Constant Motion?  But I like parts of the song, so...  Maybe Never Enough?

I don't really like WDADU, but I don't know that any song is "the five worst".

Offline pg1067

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2021, 10:24:16 AM »
Bottom 5-10 by DT?  Including only material on the albums:

Repentance
New Millennium
The Great Debate
The Mirror
The Best of Times
Never Enough
I Walk Beside You
Lie

The next 20 or so spots are probably filled out by songs from TA and SC.

Lines In The Sand.  Doug Pinnick, nuff said.

I also can't stand that chorus (particularly the last one where, I assume, the direction given to that guy was to act like a complete spaz), but the rest of the song proper is pretty good, so....  The other thing that's odd about it is that it feels like another song got plunked down in the middle of it.  If you're not completely paying attention, it kinda feels like they've moved onto a different song.

Offline HOF

« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2021, 10:26:32 AM »
LitS is probably one of my top 5 DT songs!