Author Topic: Vote Dream Theater In for a Vinyl release.  (Read 2143 times)

Offline omie

Vote Dream Theater In for a Vinyl release.
« on: April 12, 2021, 09:06:57 PM »
The Record Label "Run Out Groove" is accepting votes for their next Vinyl release. Dream Theater's "Live Scenes From New York" is among the contenders. Come on, together we can do it.  :metal
https://www.runoutgroovevinyl.com/vote-for-next-release

Offline pg1067

Re: Vote Dream Theater In for a Vinyl release.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 09:27:40 AM »
I'd rather have an 8-track.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 12:36:45 PM »
or even better, reel to reel  :corn

I guess I don't understand how can some random record label just decided they're going to make anyone's album in vinyl?  Is Dream Theater actually involved in this?  And if not how can this even be a thing?  It would fly in the face of copyrights wouldn't it?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 01:13:42 PM »
or even better, reel to reel  :corn

I guess I don't understand how can some random record label just decided they're going to make anyone's album in vinyl?  Is Dream Theater actually involved in this?  And if not how can this even be a thing?  It would fly in the face of copyrights wouldn't it?

I wondered the same thing.  Legally, the company would need copyright licenses from Elektra (sound recording copyright) and the songwriters (in this case, Ytse Jams, Inc. likely owns or has the right to license all relevant musical composition copyrights).  There's a "how it works" link, but it doesn't answer this question, so I'm guessing one of two things happens here:  (1) albums only show up in the voting if the company has already obtained the necessary licenses (perhaps conditional licenses where the obligation to make payment is triggered by a successful vote); or (2) the company doesn't seek licenses until the album wins the voting.  Of course, copyright infringement is also a possibility, but this is pretty public, so I'm guessing that's not too likely.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 01:50:55 PM »
I don't know, I see some pretty blatantly criminal things happening online all the time.  For example, I'm friends with Galahad's bass player, Lee Abraham, who is a solo artist himself with half a dozen albums under his belt.  Some asshole setup an unauthorized bandcamp page in his name and was selling digital copies of his album on Bandcamp.  They just didn't give a fuck because they knew there's just no way to really catch them.  Bandcamp shut it right down as soon as Lee's record label lodged an official complaint, but who knows how long they were doing it for or how many bogus copies of Lee's property they sold? 

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 02:19:27 PM »
This website is a subsidiary of Warner Music Group, therefore they have access to the Elektra catalogue.  Nothing sketchy whatsoever

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 03:57:25 PM »
I guess there weren't enough DT fans clamoring for this release to win the vote  :'(
But good news, it's in the running again this month!  Hopefully if more people spread the word there's a better chance of it winning this time  :metal