Author Topic: Your favorite metal albums per (sub)genre?  (Read 2953 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Your favorite metal albums per (sub)genre?
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2021, 01:27:19 PM »
I can't even make a list like this.

Goes on to post list like this in next post  :lol :lol

I thought I couldn’t but just went with the first things that came to mind. Would probably change tomorrow.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2021, 01:45:47 PM »
Symphonic: Nightwish - Whatever that live album is with the absolutely epic performance of "Ghost Love Score" from Floor Jansen
The single greatest live performance of any song, in my opinion. Legitimately jaw-dropping.

Do you know which album that comes from?  She's got three live records with Nightwish; I know it's not the latest, but which of the other two?  "Showtime, Storytime" or "Vehicle of Spirit"?  I thought it was the first, because I thought it was right after she took over for that other interim singer (Anette Olzen, I think, but I'm not a huge Nightwish fan, so...).

You're most likely thinking of Showtime/Storytime.  There's also an official video release of Live in Buenos Aries that people often reference as Ghost Love Floor.  Not a ton of difference, but even though it's not Wacken, I really love the vibe of the crowd in Buenos Aries.

I'd die to see them perform this with an actual symphony.

I think the vocal section building up to the climax at the end is just a smidge better.  But overall, I prefer the Wacken performance from Showtime/Storytime. 

Floor Jansen actually did her own reaction video to that performance lately, which is kind cool, as she gives a lot of personal insights into the performance.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW_3F186_5Q
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2021, 02:43:35 PM »
I can't even make a list like this.

Classic Rock=UFO-Strangers In The Night
Classic Metal-Iron Maiden-The Number Of The Beast
NWOBHM-Def Leppard-High n Dry
Melodic Rock/AOR - Shy-Excess All Areas
Thrash: Metallica-Kill 'Em All
Power Metal: Helloween-Keeper Of The Seven Keys
Prog: No idea
Prog Metal: Dream Theater- Images & Words
Doom: No idea
Death: No idea
Stoner: Dead Lord-Heads Held High
Black: Illyria-The Carpathian Summit
Althernative: Red Hot Chili Peppers-One Hot Minute
Melodeath: Tribulation-Down Below
Folk: Lor-In Forgotten Sleep
Industrial: Hell no
Gothic: Fields Of The Nephilim-The Nephilim
Symphonic: No idea
Instrumental/shred: Michael Schenker-Adventures Of The Imagination

Ummmm.......
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2021, 02:45:52 PM »
I went from :

Fuck this

to..

Ahh fuck it.

in a little over an hour..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2021, 03:37:18 PM »
 :lol

I'll have a crack at some point but I think I would find it hard to pinpoint one album for one genre.  I'll see.

Offline HOF

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2021, 04:46:13 PM »
I’m having a hard time figuring out how some people are listing “prog” and “prog metal” as separate sub genres of metal.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2021, 09:03:19 PM »
I’m having a hard time figuring out how some people are listing “prog” and “prog metal” as separate sub genres of metal.
Some people are confused. Prog isn't a subgenre of metal. Progressive Metal is. Somewhere along the line people decided to add the former. :dunno:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2021, 05:31:23 AM »
Classic heavy: I don't know what this. Is Iron Maiden 'classic'? Then probably a random album by them.
Thrash: Think This by Toxik. Otherwise some Anthrax record I've never heard in full or Reign in Blood by Slayer
Power: probably The Premoniton by Firewind
Prog: Dream Theater - Images & Words
Doom: King Goat - Conduit
Death: Opeth - Blackwater Park
Stoner: Dvne - Asheran. and if that's not 'Stoner' then Sleep - Domesmoker
Black: I generally don't care about black metal, so Ulver - Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler seems a fine choice
Althernative: Mr. Bungle - Mr. Bungle
Melodeath: In Flames - Colony
Folk: does Wilderun - Sleep at the Edge of the Earth count?
Industrial: I have no idea, maybe Amerikkkant by Ministry?
Gothic: no
Symphonic: no
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2021, 06:38:41 AM »

It's prog metal, not death.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2021, 06:43:11 AM »

I have often seen Opeth (especially of that era) described as progressive death metal.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2021, 06:43:57 AM »
See, this was why I hesitated in making a list because I didn't want to be genre corrected.

If someone finds Opeth fits Death Metal, then so be it.
Death has been listed as an option for Death Metal, and they were definitely progressive.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2021, 07:07:43 AM »
Blackwater Park is definitely a combination of death metal and progressive metal, so could happily sit in either category.

Elite, I would 100% put Wilderun in the folk category. I'd argue that things like battle metal or pirate metal would be classed as a form of folk metal as well.

My list (which I've yet to actually post) tentatively has Pelagial in the post category, but that doesn't quite feel right to me, but that's just my opinion. I don't know if I quite see it as sludge either.

This thread  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2021, 07:43:49 AM »

Why can't it be both?

See, this was why I hesitated in making a list because I didn't want to be genre corrected.

I think genre tags are silly anyway, yet I fully expected to be 'corrected' (even though I disagree, but that's beside the point), especially with WildRanger being the OP.

This thread  :lol

Wonderful nonsense, is it not? :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2021, 08:40:23 AM »
Blackwater Park is definitely a combination of death metal and progressive metal, so could happily sit in either category.

Nope, it's not death metal. Growling vocals don't make BWP to be death metal. Musically it's not death metal, it has no death metal riffs and very aggressive rhythm of death metal.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2021, 09:00:39 AM »

Nope, it's not death metal. Growling vocals don't make BWP to be death metal. Musically it's not death metal, it has no death metal riffs and very aggressive rhythm of death metal.
There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2021, 09:31:03 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_death_metal_bands,_L%E2%80%93Z
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 01:11:37 PM by hefdaddy42 »
Squ

Offline romdrums

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2021, 09:51:28 AM »

Classic: Iron Maiden-Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Thrash: Metallica-Master of Puppets
Progressive: Dream Theater-Awake
Glam: Winger-Winger (just for you TAC!)
Groove: Meshuggah-The Violent Sleep of Reason
Melo Death: Soilwork-The Living Infinite
Tech Death: Fallujah-The Flesh Prevails
Progressive Death: Opeth-Ghost Reveries
Power: Nevermore-Dead Heart in a Dead World
Deathcore: The Contortionist-Intrinsic
Sludge: Isis-Wavering Radiant
Atmospheric Sludge: The Ocean-Phanerozoic I:Paleozoic
Atmospheric Black: Cataya-Firn
Djent: Periphery-Periphery III:Select Difficulty

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2021, 01:25:15 PM »

Wikipedia is not always an accurate source for everything. You know that?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2021, 02:17:27 PM »

Neither are your opinions or ideas :)
Squ

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2021, 03:42:36 PM »
 :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2021, 05:40:34 PM »

Neither are your opinions or ideas :)

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2021, 06:47:52 PM »

This is wrong. Period.

Blackwater Park is a Progressive DEATH Metal album. End of story.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2021, 02:05:34 AM »

This is wrong. Period.

Nah, musically BWP is a prog metal album (with growling vocals). Compare BWP's sound to Death's Symbolic or Human and you will realize it can't be death metal.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2021, 03:07:47 AM »
You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

Compare Blackwater Park to Dream Theater or Symphony X and you will realise it can't be progressive metal either.

What the hell are you even trying to accomplish? Trying to label things to death (lol) and forcing everything into certain groups or boxes is, aside from unbelievably stupid, also extremely narrow-minded. The music of Opeth on Blackwater Park contains death metal elements. Your statement that it's 'musically not death metal' is provably untrue and 'very aggressive rhythm of death metal' is not an objective characteristic of a musical genre. Again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

If you're so inclined to be 'right', tell me what you think is 'death metal' then. For me, Opeth's BWP checks a lot of the boxes; Minor key tonalities? Yes. Growling? Yes. Distorted and down-tuned guitars? yes. Double bass in the drums? Yes. Chromaticism in riffs and chord progressions? Yes. Of course it sounds different than 'Altars of Madness' by Morbid Angel. Bands and musical genres are - lucky for us music fans - no boundaries that can't be crossed. Be glad we have stuff that transcends your narrow views of what a genre 'should' be like. Blackwater Park is a progressive death metal record and it can be that while being neither a true 'progressive metal' album, nor a 'death metal' album. It's my favourite 'death metal' album. That's it.
Squ

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2021, 03:31:40 AM »
This discussion about labels reminds me of my first contact with Queensr˙che.

With DT I met prog metal. A few years later I got to know one of the precursors of the subgenre (QR).

The Warning? This is just heavy metal! Rage for Order, Empire, Promised Land? Meh ... OP:M? OK, it's interesting .... but it doesn't look like DT.
Result: I ended up not liking the band, because I was looking for another DT and they are not another DT.  :lol

It took me more time and maturity to really appreciate QR.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2021, 07:36:01 AM »
And I will throw this wrench into the gears: I have a theory that the best bands are those that DON'T follow strict genre lines, but find a way to bring new elements into established genres (sometimes, therein creating their own). 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2021, 08:02:58 AM »
And I will throw this wrench into the gears: I have a theory that the best bands are those that DON'T follow strict genre lines, but find a way to bring new elements into established genres (sometimes, therein creating their own).
I tend to agree with you.  It could come from the members of those bands being well-rounded in music they like, and want to draw from all of those influences in creating their own stuff or using it as a jumping-off point.

:tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2021, 04:13:12 PM »

This is wrong. Period.

Nah, musically BWP is a prog metal album (with growling vocals). Compare BWP's sound to Death's Symbolic or Human and you will realize it can't be death metal.

I have never ever listened to BWP and thought, 'Jeez, this is a great prog metal album.'

It's funny too because I'd actually say Mikael's growls on that album are slightly more 'death' metal than Chuck's vocals on both Symbolic and Human.  I don't think using those two albums were the greatest examples to try and get your point across.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2021, 04:29:53 PM »

This is wrong. Period.

I have never ever listened to BWP and thought, 'Jeez, this is a great prog metal album.'

It's funny too because I'd actually say Mikael's growls on that album are slightly more 'death' metal than Chuck's vocals on both Symbolic and Human.  I don't think using those two albums were the greatest examples to try and get your point across.
Not to mention the fact that both Human and Symbolic are good examples of more Progressive Death Metal, thereby undermining his statement. Especially Symbolic. Human may lean a little more towards Technical Death Metal, but who cares, really....
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2021, 04:50:09 PM »

This is wrong. Period.

Not to mention the fact that both Human and Symbolic are good examples of more Progressive Death Metal, thereby undermining his statement. Especially Symbolic. Human may lean a little more towards Technical Death Metal, but who cares, really....

Yeah, but that's in America...