Author Topic: If the band were to do a live stream session, ...  (Read 2342 times)

Offline evilasiojr

If the band were to do a live stream session, ...
« on: March 31, 2021, 08:00:22 AM »
So, I was thinking...

If the band were to do a live stream session, (the 5 of them in a studio or venue, with everything being broadcast live, like Leprous and other bands have been doing) what would you like to see them playing?

I would love to see a set list consisting exclusively of the long/epic songs. I imagine this would not be a tour move, so a live stream would be perfect for this kind of content imo.

The set list could be something like this:

In the Presence of Enemies (complete)
The Count of Tuscany
Illumination Theory
A Change of Seasons
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (complete)
Octavarium

I know it is a lot of music to rehearse, but who knows...

What about you guys?

Offline MirrorMask

Re: If the band were to do a live stream session, ...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 08:03:35 AM »
It's a nice wet dream, but no way they're gonna go through the trouble of re-learning all those songs for a single occasions. Also, epics are nice because they are the centerpiece of a show, having them one after the other means they would cancel each other, you need pacing, both in movies (you can't have all actions from beginning to end) and also in shows.

Actually I'd like them to go the total opposite way and take advantage of the intimate setting of a live streaming for something akin to the FII acoustic shows, and do some minimalistic stuff saving maybe a couple of full band songs for the end.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 08:04:48 AM »
It's a nice wet dream, but no way they're gonna go through the trouble of re-learning all those songs for a single occasions. Also, epics are nice because they are the centerpiece of a show, having them one after the other means they would cancel each other, you need pacing, both in movies (you can't have all actions from beginning to end) and also in shows.

Actually I'd like them to go the total opposite way and take advantage of the intimate setting of a live streaming for something akin to the FII acoustic shows, and do some minimalistic stuff saving maybe a couple of full band songs for the end.

Boom.  Exactly what I was going to say.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 08:10:49 AM »

That would be really cool as well!! It's been a while since they had a more acoustic/intimate session.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 08:16:51 AM »
Yeah, I would be on board with an acoustic/stripped down set, or some sort of rarities (songs they have never played, or haven't in a while).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 08:38:50 AM »
How about doing a poll and reaching out to the fans on what songs they'd like to play. Such as some covers, short and long epic songs as well as any on the spot improvisations..It would be interesting and a little less predictable that way.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 08:58:58 AM »
Their most popular song from each studio album in chronological order.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 09:03:54 AM »

A Fortune in Lies
Metropolis
The Mirror? Voices? Scarred?
Peruvian Skies? Lines in the Sand?
The Spirit Carries On? Strange Deja Vu? any song really?
The Glass Prison
As I Am
Octavarium?
In the Presence of Enemies?
The Count of Tuscany?
Breaking All Illusions
The Enemy Inside? Illumination Theory?
Anything or nothing at all?
Pale Blue Dot? Barstool Warrior? At Wit's End?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 09:22:11 AM »

A Fortune in Lies
Metropolis
The Mirror? Voices? Scarred?
Peruvian Skies? Lines in the Sand?
The Spirit Carries On? Strange Deja Vu? any song really?
The Glass Prison
As I Am
Octavarium?
In the Presence of Enemies?
The Count of Tuscany?
Breaking All Illusions
The Enemy Inside? Illumination Theory?
Anything or nothing at all?
Pale Blue Dot? Barstool Warrior? At Wit's End?

If you based it on the winners of the album tournaments from late 2019:

WDADU:  The Killing Hand
I&W:  Learning to Live
Awake:  Scarred
FII:  Trial of Tears
SFAM:  Finally Free
SDOIT:  Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
TOT:  In the Name of God
8VM:  Octavarium
SC:  In the Presence of Enemies
BC&SL:  The Count of Tuscany
ADTOE:  Breaking All Illusions
DT12:  Illumination Theory
TA:  A New Beginning
DOT:  At Wits End

What is that...about six hours worth of music?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 10:03:41 AM »
I would pay for a Metallica-in-the-tuning-room type live stream from DT in a heartbeat.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 10:17:32 AM »
No, IT ruins the whole set.  I'd replace it with BAI.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 10:49:54 AM »
I like several of these ideas.  Anything that wouldn't replicate a "normal" DT concert.  Stripped down?  Cool.  All epics?  Cool.  Poll the fans?  Cool.

Whatever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 11:12:01 AM »
I like several of these ideas.  Anything that wouldn't replicate a "normal" DT concert.  Stripped down?  Cool.  All epics?  Cool.  Poll the fans?  Cool.

Whatever.
I came in here to pretty much say the same thing - anything that it just wouldn't be practical to do for a normal touring setlist. The only thing I would disagree with is polling the fans, because then we'd ultimately get stuck with their most popular songs which have already been played umpteen times before (looking at you, PMU, Metropolis, TSCO and AIA in particular). If they were to do a poll, let it be of songs that haven't been played since at least the MP-era if not earlier, or MM-era songs that haven't been played live yet (which pretty much means one from the s/t and half of d/t).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 12:29:54 PM »
Gimme a full setlist of rarities, obscurities, alternate/semi-acoustic versions of songs, jams, etc. Maybe look at the Rotterdam and Christmas '98 shows for inspiration.

Something like this...

Eve
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
The Silent Man
Speak To Me
Space Dye Vest
To Live Forever (with an ending jam)
Don't Look Past Me (they should've kept this on the I&W&B tour dammit! It's a real A-grade banger!)
Another Day
Take Away My Pain
Wait For Sleep
Far From Heaven
A New Beginning
Hollow Years (full band version)
Vacant
Stream Of Consciousness

Throw in a couple of covers (maybe one or two extra rockers too) and you could have a pretty awesome livestream for the fans.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 02:13:50 PM »
So, with the idea of covers in mind.. What would you want Dream Theater to cover?

The band I used to love long ago, but was never quite heavy enough was Styx. (man I wish I had know about DT, way back).
I just listened to Equinox this weekend and when I heard Suite Madame Blue, I was thinking, Oh how DT could make this big
and full. Maybe even add just a little extra...Or Miss America..

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 02:17:10 PM »
So, with the idea of covers in mind.. What would you want Dream Theater to cover?
Honestly, none.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 02:18:04 PM »
I’d like to hear them bang out the new album, DT 15, live in the studio similar to what Metallica did with St Anger. If they coincided the stream with the album release (when fan interest in the band is at its highest) it would probably be a very successful/worthwhile venture for the band.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 02:43:48 PM »
Honestly, none.

This. No more covers, please.

I’d like to hear them bang out the new album, DT 15, live in the studio similar to what Metallica did with St Anger. If they coincided the stream with the album release (when fan interest in the band is at its highest) it would probably be a very successful/worthwhile venture for the band.

The only problem with this, or any other live in the studio stream session would be that they'd need to fly James to the US just to do that. I don't know it that would be too viable, specially since there's no touring anytime soon (if there were tour dates coming, James would need to fly there anyway).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 03:47:24 PM »
Honestly, none.
This. No more covers, please.
I'm quite the opposite with one caveat: they have to DT-ize the songs, instead of just doing carbon copy versions, which is what they've done most of the time. Their version of Rush's The Necromancer is, IMO, the perfect way to do it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2021, 04:02:37 PM »

Whatever.
I came in here to pretty much say the same thing - anything that it just wouldn't be practical to do for a normal touring setlist. The only thing I would disagree with is polling the fans, because then we'd ultimately get stuck with their most popular songs which have already been played umpteen times before (looking at you, PMU, Metropolis, TSCO and AIA in particular). If they were to do a poll, let it be of songs that haven't been played since at least the MP-era if not earlier, or MM-era songs that haven't been played live yet (which pretty much means one from the s/t and half of d/t).

I wonder if DT would be one of the few bands where this wasn't the case.  Other than a couple of the most popular ones, it seems the DT fan base knows which songs are rare and also that everyone seems to have varying different favorites. It's possible a fan poll would lead to some really interesting songs.

In general, I agree with Hef though.  Anything that is different than their normal show.  Rare songs, acoustic or different arrangement of songs, epics... I would just request the band be together which I understand isn't really possible for JLB right now.