Author Topic: Musicians or bands you find OVER-RATED ( not a hate thread )  (Read 5824 times)

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Re: Musicians or bands you find OVER-RATED ( not a hate thread )
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2021, 09:47:52 AM »
Penalty shoot outs.

Offline HOF

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2021, 09:49:41 AM »

Paul Gilbert: I disagree with you here. I think he has some great music and is also technically a monster player but I never really bought into the hype either.

Actually I was saying I LIKE Paul Gilbert and was just comparing him to Vai and that he's more like Petrucci. I was saying PG's solos don't exclusively sound like LISTEN TO WAHT I CAN DO...

Gilbert's solos in Racer X were exactly LOOK AT WHAT I CAN DO!. He settled down after that -  I love PG. I love shreddy guitar playing from back in the day when you could tell who it was just by hearing it. I can't do that nowadays as everyone really does sound the same.

I love Mr. Big, and I'm an admirer of Paul Gilbert as a human, but I find a lot of his shred and bluesy stuff to be too technical and not very interesting. When he's in the pop sphere is when he's really great IMO. I could watch him play or talk about guitar all day though.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2021, 09:52:30 AM »
Kiss.

They should not be rated at all, so the fact that some do, by definition, makes them overrated.

Top Five American Rock Bands:
- The Beach Boys
- Van Halen
- The Grateful Dead
- The Eagles
- Kiss

Next Five:
- Aerosmith
- Journey
- Creedence Clearwater Revival
- The Allman Brothers
- Guns 'n' Roses

Next Five:
- Metallica
- Pearl Jam
- The Byrds
- REM
- The Doors

Where are Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Ramones?
And I think you put The Eagles too high since most rock music critics detested them (and also The Dude from "The Big Lebowski" detests them ;D). Also they were not an influential band.

Personally I can't stand KISS, but I can't deny their impact on American classic rock scene.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2021, 09:56:50 AM »

Guitar: Angus Young. Of all of the “guitar gods”, he feels the most out of place among the other giants.

I absolutely agree.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2021, 09:57:58 AM »
I also think that Eric Clapton doesn't deserve the "guitar god" status.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2021, 09:58:07 AM »
Well, I'll go there:

The Beatles.

Never got them, still don't. I know every artist under the sun praises them, but they do nothing for me.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline HOF

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2021, 09:59:04 AM »
Kiss.

They should not be rated at all, so the fact that some do, by definition, makes them overrated.

- The Beach Boys
- Van Halen
- The Grateful Dead
- The Eagles
- Kiss

Next Five:
- Aerosmith
- Journey
- The Allman Brothers
- Guns 'n' Roses

Next Five:
- Metallica
- Pearl Jam
- The Byrds
- REM
- The Doors

I know The Grateful Dead have a large and dedicated following, but I think I've maybe heard one of their songs in my life and I listen to a lot of music.  They seem like one of those if you are in the cult you know them but outside that sphere they don't exist bands.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2021, 10:01:08 AM »
I think Cliff Burton and Randy Rhoads are overpraised musicians because they died young. Randy Rhoads was not an innovative player

A couple years ago, I started a thread titled something like, "Was Randy Rhoads Overrated?"  My answer was yes, but even I think the bolded is a silly statement.  Of course he was innovative.

But I do agree that both Rhoads and Burton are overrated a bit -- primarily because their bodies of recorded work as so minimal.  With Burton, it's KEA, RTL and MOP, and with Rhoads, it's the two Ozzy albums and a couple Quiet Riot albums that were released only in Japan, and which very few people have heard and about which no one talks.  Neither one of them has enough of a resume to be considered an all-time great.

As far as the main premise of the thread:  Does an artist's popularity exceed my own subjective enjoyment of or reverence for that artist?  If so, then the artist is overrated.  Does my own subjective enjoyment of or reverence for an artist exceed the artist's popularity?  If so, then the artist is underrated.

In that regard, artists/album that I consider overrated include The Doors, Guns n Roses, Bruce Springsteen, Power Windows, and virtually every pop star going back to 1970.

EDITED to be more coherent.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 10:06:57 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2021, 10:06:33 AM »
Well, I'll go there:

The Beatles.

Never got them, still don't. I know every artist under the sun praises them, but they do nothing for me.

say wut?  impossible  .............
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2021, 10:24:11 AM »
Kiss.

- The Beach Boys
- Van Halen
- The Grateful Dead
- The Eagles
- Kiss

Next Five:
- Aerosmith
- Journey
- The Allman Brothers
- Guns 'n' Roses

Next Five:
- Metallica
- Pearl Jam
- The Byrds
- REM
- The Doors

Where are Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Ramones?
And I think you put The Eagles too high since most rock music critics detested them (and also The Dude from "The Big Lebowski" detests them ;D). Also they were not an influential band.

Personally I can't stand KISS, but I can't deny their impact on American classic rock scene.

One, if you know me at all you know that what the "critics" think has precisely zero to do with anything I write here.  I'm not an Eagles fan - I despise Glenn Frey, and I'm iff on Don Henley - but I saw them in '97 and it was a transcendent experience. When I was in college, we used to carry our records around in milk crates.   9 out of 10 milk crates had a copy of Steve Miller's Greatest Hits and/or The Eagles Greatest Hits.   To deny them their place is just not being realistic.

Skynyrd is the only one of those three to seriously threaten the top 15, but I couldn't really justify dropping anyone else. They are no. 1 on the next five list.   ZZ Top would be on that next list, as would Boston and either Velvet Underground or Talking Heads.   Ramones don't come anywhere near the top 20.  They are an okay band, and are more known today because of their hipster cred, not because they were a great band.  MOO. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2021, 10:26:54 AM »
Kiss.

- The Beach Boys
- Van Halen
- The Grateful Dead
- The Eagles
- Kiss

Next Five:
- Aerosmith
- Journey
- The Allman Brothers
- Guns 'n' Roses

Next Five:
- Metallica
- Pearl Jam
- The Byrds
- REM
- The Doors

I know The Grateful Dead have a large and dedicated following, but I think I've maybe heard one of their songs in my life and I listen to a lot of music.  They seem like one of those if you are in the cult you know them but outside that sphere they don't exist bands.

I hated the Dead for the longest time, and then something clicked.  I have more Dead CDs and more songs on my iPod by them than any other band, by a factor of two.  Largely because of the plethora of live shows, but they are the real deal.  There's no record you can really point to to say "that's the Dead!".   I love Anthem Of The Sun (it's just WEIRD, in a Zappa sort of way)  and Terrapin Station (the title track is a 16 minute suite).  But your best bet if you want to know what's what, is to pick a show from Spring of 1977 and listen to that. 

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2021, 10:52:04 AM »
Ramones don't come anywhere near the top 20.  They are an okay band, and are more known today because of their hipster cred, not because they were a great band.  MOO.

I'm not a Ramones fan but their impact is very big.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2021, 11:33:53 AM »
"Musicians you like, but find overrated"

Mastodon.

I like Burst more.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2021, 11:44:15 AM »
Man, nearly every artist mentioned here I either like or love (and that includes both Kiss and Radiohead, a band whose late-career output I consider their best), but for everyone who's mentioned the Grateful Dead, I'm soooooo with you.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2021, 12:35:02 PM »

Guitar: Angus Young. Of all of the “guitar gods”, he feels the most out of place among the other giants.

I absolutely agree.

I’d take Angus over Slash. There’s an overrated guitarist.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2021, 12:52:58 PM »
U2 - just bland dull rock without energy or anything interesting about it. They have a few decent hits but how they are so big is beyond me.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2021, 01:10:12 PM »
Overrated.
Cheap Trick comes to mind. I like a few of their songs, but I never got the hype. Their live shows are underwhelming, and their lead guitarist is mediocre at best.  Robin Zander (Vocals) was great in the studio though.

Coldplay - nothing spectacular, and droney.

Nirvana - A garage band from Seattle, but it sure beats Raising Cattle!

Imagine Dragons - My opinion is kind of uninformed, but I really don't know why they're so revered. I guess it's a millenial thing..

On a side note: Somebody mentioned earlier in this thread that Brad Delp is UNDERRATED. I agree wholeheartedly!
Freddy Mercury gets praised up and down, yet Brad Delp is every bit as good and even has a better voice and nicer tone.  The golden voice of Rock-n-Roll.. 💯💫

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2021, 01:11:37 PM »
I'll second (third or whatever number we're at) Anthrax. My big introduction to the metal was basically thrash. I could name at least 10 thrash bands that should take their spot in the 'Big Four', not that I take that whole thing too seriously.

Not sure if mentioned but I don't get Prince. I literally couldn't name you a Prince song that I personally see as being special in any way. Granted, it's not like I've heard everything he's written; he's just not for me I guess. I could probably name others but there wouldn't be any big surprises. Guns N Roses, Ed Sheeran stuff like that.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2021, 01:18:51 PM »
Mike Portnoy - He is considered a genius of songwriting, but he is not able to write a song by himself. People have lost their limit on MP worship. Years ago, when we were still judging MP for who he really is, I wouldn't put him on this list.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2021, 01:23:18 PM »

I absolutely agree.

I just had this conversation with a friend of mine (who has seen G'n'R twice since the reunion, and once back in the day).  I've seen Slash three times solo and once with G'n'R (back in the day).    I'm all in on the Slash bandwagon (he's not convinced).   I think he is so good.  The last time I saw him I was second row right in front, and the fuckin' guy didn't stop playing for a minute.  Even between songs he was noodling and playing.  I get that would annoy some, but none of it EVER got to be repetitious or boring.   

I mean, it's hard to compare Angus and Slash, but all things being equal (and putting a lot of the credit for AC/DC on Mal) I'd go Slash.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2021, 01:26:10 PM »
Slash is not anywhere near my favorite guitarists, but his phrasing and note choices is rather exceptional, especially since 95% of what he does is common blues inspired heavy rock. He tends to stand out by the notes and melodies that he is able to put together.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline HOF

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2021, 01:27:07 PM »

I absolutely agree.

I just had this conversation with a friend of mine (who has seen G'n'R twice since the reunion, and once back in the day).  I've seen Slash three times solo and once with G'n'R (back in the day).    I'm all in on the Slash bandwagon (he's not convinced).   I think he is so good.  The last time I saw him I was second row right in front, and the fuckin' guy didn't stop playing for a minute.  Even between songs he was noodling and playing.  I get that would annoy some, but none of it EVER got to be repetitious or boring.   

I mean, it's hard to compare Angus and Slash, but all things being equal (and putting a lot of the credit for AC/DC on Mal) I'd go Slash.

I'm not a fan of either band, but I do see the appeal of Slash as a guitarist. A very emotive and expressive player.

Online faizoff

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2021, 01:27:50 PM »
So what I'm reading here is that every artist under the sun is overrated.  :tup
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2021, 01:32:08 PM »

DTF is overrated  :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2021, 01:33:40 PM »

Because in the end this kind of thread is always just "bands you don't like that other people do." While of course an underrated thread would just be "Bands I like that others don't."

I wonder which musicians are just perfectly rated.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2021, 01:38:01 PM »

Because in the end this kind of thread is always just "bands you don't like that other people do." While of course an underrated thread would just be "Bands I like that others don't."

I wonder which musicians are just perfectly rated.

Black Sabbath.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2021, 01:44:22 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:17:38 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline Skeever

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2021, 01:45:10 PM »
The OP is a masterclass in fail

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2021, 01:52:28 PM »
Slash is not anywhere near my favorite guitarists, but his phrasing and note choices is rather exceptional, especially since 95% of what he does is common blues inspired heavy rock. He tends to stand out by the notes and melodies that he is able to put together.

I was an early fan of GnR but he did not stand out from the crowd of LA players at the time for me. He’s a good guitarist certainly, but not one of the greats.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2021, 02:06:15 PM »
And the "Most Overrated* Award " goes to....

HAKEN

*on DTF only

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2021, 02:07:53 PM »
dream theatre. they suck lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2021, 02:19:23 PM »

I absolutely agree.

Isn't this a bit of a straw man?  Who regards Angus Young as a "guitar god"?  I've NEVER heard him described as such.  He's one of the principal songwriters and lead guitarist of the band, but isn't the thing he's most known for his showmanship (as opposed to his playing)?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2021, 02:31:54 PM »
Yep, he especially lost me with the Nel Peart section.   :mehlin
I like most of his posts on DTF though.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 02:37:29 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2021, 03:15:57 PM »
Kiss.

- The Beach Boys
- Van Halen
- The Grateful Dead
- The Eagles
- Kiss

Next Five:
- Aerosmith
- Journey
- The Allman Brothers
- Guns 'n' Roses

Next Five:
- Metallica
- Pearl Jam
- The Byrds
- REM
- The Doors

You just rated them, therefore you overrated them. :P

I'm not an Eagles fan - I despise Glenn Frey, and I'm iff on Don Henley - but I saw them in '97 and it was a transcendent experience. When I was in college, we used to carry our records around in milk crates.   9 out of 10 milk crates had a copy of Steve Miller's Greatest Hits and/or The Eagles Greatest Hits.   To deny them their place is just not being realistic.

Agreed.  I am not a big Eagles fan, but their place in history is secure, and their influence is more than obvious, especially across multiple genres.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2021, 03:36:10 PM »
Yep, he especially lost me with the Nel Peart section.   :mehlin
I like most of his posts on DTF though.

Yeah, the only thing that made a shred of sense to me was the Cliff Burton reference.  But that's me.  The whole over-rated vs under-rated arguments are rather pointless anyway.  From an individual's perspective, over-rated means most people like it, but I don't.  Under-rated means most people don't like it, but I do.  It's a very self-serving notion for someone to use those labels based on their own points of reference.  Even though this is an entirely subjective topic, the facts are that anyone and any band mentioned here are all liked by a lot of people.  Otherwise, they probably wouldn't be mentioned at all.  You either like something or you don't.  Over-rated and under-rated are meaningless fucking terms.  IMHO
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White