Author Topic: Mammoth WVH  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Peter Mc

Mammoth WVH
« on: March 28, 2021, 06:50:16 PM »
Can’t find anything on the search function so apologies if there’s already a thread about this.

In case people are not aware Mammoth WVH is the first album by Wolfgang Van Halen.  He sings and plays all the instruments on the record as well as writing it all (I think) so a true solo album.  He’s only released a few songs so far but this sounds way better than I was expecting when I clicked on it out of pure curiosity.  I just thought it wouldn’t sound great in the tradition of most famous musicians offspring.  It’s nothing groundbreaking, basically radio friendly rock in the vein of Altered Bridge, Tremonti and others but it sounds really slick and well put together.  You certainly wouldn’t be surprised if it came on rock radio and I’d certainly not have guessed it was him singing or playing everything.

It’s not stuff the type of stuff I listen to a lot but I will take my hat off to him and say the kid does have some talent as a singer songwriter.  He may be hampered a bit by the fact that he’s not blessed with rockstar looks or physique but these songs are pretty strong.

Offline cfmoran13

Re: Mammoth WVH
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 06:59:21 PM »
It's funny.  I was literally searching for the same thing.  So far, 4 songs have been released.  And, like you said, it's nothing groundbreaking.  However, all 4 songs have been pretty solid.  "Distance" was a great way to introduce himself to everyone, especially with that very personal video.  Having lost my dad last year, everything about that song and video still chokes me up every time I hear/see it.  The 2 rockers he's released so far, "You're To Blame" and "Won't Back Down" are just as good if not better than just about anything out there in mainstream rock these days.  And, the other new song, "Think It Over", shows that he can write a good pop song, too.  The guy can legit sing and seems to have a pretty good sense of humor.

Personally, I can't wait for the full album. 

Offline frogprog

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 07:41:03 PM »
I'm in as well. I have really liked what I've heard so far.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 07:43:50 PM »
Wolfie writing skills are very good and damn, he can sing!  Auto buy for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 12:15:10 AM »
I haven't heard any songs yet, but I know this guy is capable of delivering on his end in creating solid songs.  He's learned from the best from his own dad, Mark Tremonti, and many good people.

Oddly enough, his live band composed of guys that played with members of Alter Bridge and Slash's solo band.  Frank Sidoris (who plays in Slash's solo band) on rhythm guitar and Garrett Whitlock (who played in Tremonti) on the drums and he's an awesome drummer.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 09:17:49 AM »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 09:25:56 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMDoj8VVzh8

I'm digging that.  I love that transition at 2:50.

It's also funny:
"Wolfie."
"WOLFGANG!"
"Where's Wolfie?"

And I kinda dig that he looks like the guy that fixes my HVAC.  It's refreshing.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 09:42:44 AM »
I came across this over the weekend and I am super impressed!  :metal It's also pretty funny.

I saw and interview where he said that his dad was a pretty crappy guitar teacher. Unless I am mistaken, Wolfie is pretty much self taught and EVH always told him to make his own way. I'm REALLY happy for him!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 10:14:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMDoj8VVzh8

I'm digging that.  I love that transition at 2:50.

It's also funny:
"Wolfie."
"WOLFGANG!"
"Where's Wolfie?"

And I kinda dig that he looks like the guy that fixes my HVAC.  It's refreshing.

I agree Stad.... he sorta has the shape and look of Shaun Morgan of Seether and for some reason I kept thinking of Grohl  after Nirvana being the front man,
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 08:21:13 AM »
New song released today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIQH0HcdQnE

The new album ‘Mammoth II’ is out August 4th!

Pretty good song IMO

Offline Deathless

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 08:27:47 AM »
I was really interested to see his growth and development from album one to two. So far, so good. Enjoyed this one.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 05:09:20 PM »
Fun video.  So is this the new band, or actually the touring band (since he plays everything on the albums), or...?

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2023, 04:23:55 PM »
So I just saw Mammoth WVH four times in a span of a week opening for Alter Bridge. I came away very impressed. Wolf is a better singer than I thought he was, and his guitar skills are very, very good. His songs come off really well live. My family and I enjoyed his set a lot.

We were the first audience (Seattle) to see his new song, "Another Celebration at the End of the World," played live. I recorded it at the Paramount Theatre - https://youtu.be/Px1wETgkq_s

Quite simply, it's the best song he's done.

And to answer Orbert, I believe this has been Wolf's band since he started touring on the record. I forget the bass player's name, but John Jay and Frank Sidoris on guitar are a great team. John is a killer singer to boot. He played with Clint Lowery (Sevendust) in 2020 before the pandemic shut everything down. He's really talented. And Garrett Whitlock is a beast. He played for Tremonti for several years and albums, and originally came to my attention with Submersed in 2004, on their In Due Time album. Just a monster.

Wolf mentioned the video when they were playing live, and said it was the first time he featured the band in it. But Wolf's again doing all the instruments and vocals for Mammoth II.

I was a casual fan who liked the first record. But after seeing him live 4x, and hearing his growth on "Another Celebration at the End of the World," I'm just a fan, period. Will absolutely catch him when he comes around again.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2023, 04:27:29 PM »
That's a great vocal in that video, Sam.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2023, 11:24:20 AM »
I was a casual fan who liked the first record. But after seeing him live 4x, and hearing his growth on "Another Celebration at the End of the World," I'm just a fan, period.

Yeah, I'm not too different. I had the first album and thought it was OK.  I then saw him open for GNR and thought his whole band was really good. I went back to the album and found I enjoyed it more afterwards.  I then chose to go see his band two more times, including one of those times being when he was the only guitarist on stage and we got a really cool and unique performance.

Wolfie is a pretty emotional dude, he really shows it when he's on stage too.  He's totally live, raw, and extremely talented.  I'm super curious how his solo career goes because the potential is there for him.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2023, 11:33:17 AM »
That's a great vocal in that video, Sam.

That's because I'm a great singer, Tim.  ;D
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!