Poll

Your favorite track on "Train of Thought"?

As I Am
7 (5.7%)
This Dying Soul
17 (13.8%)
Endless Sacrifice
9 (7.3%)
Honor Thy Father
10 (8.1%)
Vacant
7 (5.7%)
Stream of Consciousness
26 (21.1%)
In the Name of God
47 (38.2%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Your favorite track on "Train of Thought"?  (Read 6181 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your favorite track on "Train of Thought"?
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2021, 05:36:29 AM »
TDS, easily.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2021, 05:37:14 AM »
Wow. I was the first person to vote for Honor Thy Father :lol

In truth, I could have voted for This Dying Soul, Endless Sacrifice or Stream of Consciousness. Or As I Am. Vacant, too. But not In the Name of God because flying against the general consensus in this vote, that's my least favourite. Always has been. Not sure why.

Train of Thought was the first album released after I became a fan so it's fair to say I have a certain level of bias towards it. It makes me top three DT albums (the others being Six Degrees and Scenes), scratching an itch like no other.

This song would be my second favourite.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline krands85

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2021, 06:42:44 AM »
In the Name of God has always been my favourite from the album and was my favourite DT song overall when I first got in to the band. It has been overtaken by a few others since then, but I still love it and the album as a whole - it's my #2 behind I&W and I love all the tracks.

In the Name of God
Endless Sacrifice

This Dying Soul
As I Am
Stream of Consciousness

Vacant
Honor Thy Father
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2021, 06:42:48 AM »
This dying soul has always been my favorite, with Stream of consciousness a close second

Offline darkshade

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2021, 08:22:05 AM »
This was tough as ToT is one of DT's most consistent albums. I love every track.
I went with This Dying Soul, but it could have been something else on a different day. However, I do find that ITNoG is the best song on the album.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2021, 11:02:59 AM »
Wow. I was the first person to vote for Honor Thy Father :lol

In truth, I could have voted for This Dying Soul, Endless Sacrifice or Stream of Consciousness. Or As I Am. Vacant, too. But not In the Name of God because flying against the general consensus in this vote, that's my least favourite. Always has been. Not sure why.

Train of Thought was the first album released after I became a fan so it's fair to say I have a certain level of bias towards it. It makes me top three DT albums (the others being Six Degrees and Scenes), scratching an itch like no other.

This song would be my second favourite.

I love HTF too, and it's sadly underrated. That instrumental section is :metal :metal :metal

However, ITNOG and SOC are much better, imo, so my vote was clearly ITNOG.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2021, 06:19:29 PM »
Gotta give major props to Petrucci's lyrics on this album. He can make completely inane subjects sound really cool and deep. Endless Sacrifice is about being bored on the road and missing his wife. As I Am sounds like a really cool anthem about being who you are and not letting people belittle your interests and what you have to contribute but it's really about one of the guitarists in Queensryche being arrogant about his guitar abilities and John basically being like, "What a dick!"

ITNOG is obviously a pretty deep subject though and John's lyrics are accordingly profound.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2021, 11:20:16 PM »
I really like This Dying Soul. I think it’s underrated amongst the DT fans.

Heavy as hell, catchy verse AND chorus (a rarity for DT) and some absolute pummeling drum work by Portnoy.

In the Name of God is a close second but the unison solo gets a bit noodly. As I Am and Honor Thy Father are also quality but both probably 2 minutes longer than they have any right to be.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2021, 08:01:32 AM »
Vacant
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2021, 03:44:53 PM »
HTF
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2021, 04:28:53 PM »
I really like This Dying Soul. I think it’s underrated amongst the DT fans.

Heavy as hell, catchy verse AND chorus (a rarity for DT) and some absolute pummeling drum work by Portnoy.

In the Name of God is a close second but the unison solo gets a bit noodly. As I Am and Honor Thy Father are also quality but both probably 2 minutes longer than they have any right to be.

Couldn't have said it better myself ;D

Inspired by this thread, I gave this album a spin yesterday morning and was pleasantly surprised by just how vibrant it sounds—the band was clearly a well-oiled machine at this point, and the record just bristles with energy.

"This Dying Soul" grabbed me from day one, and I still consider the one-two punch of that and "As I Am" to be one of the band's better opening salvos.

To be honest, there isn't a minute of this album I'd change, save for the 'bounce her on your knee' section of "Honor Thy Father."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2021, 07:05:47 PM »
Man this album is strong af. It's funny how time works, as this place was on fire back when it was released because it was so polarizing lol.

ITNOG.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2021, 07:19:41 PM »
Man this album is strong af. It's funny how time works, as this place was on fire back when it was released because it was so polarizing lol.

Oh man, I remember that.  To say that Train of Thought was divisive when it was released would be an understatement.  I was definitely in the "WTF is this?" crowd, but I do think it has aged pretty well.  Not a top tier DT record, but still a highly enjoyable one, for what it is.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2021, 08:01:32 PM »
Definitely. For some reason, I never put it in my top 5-10 lists but whenever I check it out I always enjoy the hell out of it. Also, at least for me it's a special record because I became a DT fan then.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2021, 08:17:46 PM »
Not a top tier DT record, but still a highly enjoyable one, for what it is.

I wasn't even aware of DT when TOT was released, but this is my take as well. I'd probably rank it at #5 if we only count MP era albums (after SFAM, SDOIT, IAW and Awake), but it gets buried when we start counting the MM era albums.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2021, 06:40:44 AM »
"Honor Thy Father"

Song hits home, lyrically.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2021, 07:16:38 AM »
https://youtu.be/p_WfjcwBnrA

I was watching a part of this concert yesterday. It just made me more sure that Stream of Consciousness is a top 5 DT song for me. Definitely the best song from ToT, and I particularly love this album.

This song is just something else for me. The composition is so well constructed! It is pure epic, heavy, energetic, modern and musically interesting!! It is a perfect example of what a great modern prog metal epic should sound like for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2021, 08:58:05 AM »
Definitely. For some reason, I never put it in my top 5-10 lists but whenever I check it out I always enjoy the hell out of it. Also, at least for me it's a special record because I became a DT fan then.

That's funny; I rank it a LOT lower, but as you, when I listen to it, it's not that I don't LIKE it.   I actually do.   

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2021, 10:46:25 AM »
Vacant and not even because "shortest song on meh album" because I actually like the album a fair bit. It's because that's an absolutely beautiful track that has this minimalistic melancholy that's rare for the band. It's one of those tracks that's so short, but everything's in just the right place.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2021, 11:24:37 AM »
Vacant. Absolute beauty. No excessive notes. No drums on it either.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2021, 03:21:30 PM »
It's because that's an absolutely beautiful track that has this minimalistic melancholy that's rare for the band. It's one of those tracks that's so short, but everything's in just the right place.

Out of Reach is another one that fits this description quite well, imo. (obviously not TOT related)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2021, 07:36:03 PM »
One of the really cool things about Vacant is that despite being the one non-rocker on the album, it totally fits on the record.  It maintains the dark and cold vibe that you hear on pretty much the whole record.  And it works nicely as a little comedown after the musical and lyrical onslaught of the underrated Honor Thy Father.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2021, 07:38:44 PM »
One of the really cool things about Vacant is that despite being the one non-rocker on the album, it totally fits on the record.  It maintains the dark and cold vibe that you hear on pretty much the whole record.  And it works nicely as a little comedown after the musical and lyrical onslaught of the underrated Honor Thy Father.

I agree.

that hurt
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2021, 07:53:27 PM »

I agree.

that hurt

:coolio :coolio

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2021, 12:21:27 AM »

Does all your dislike of MP and his drumming stem from the time you met him and didn't like him? You were a big DT fan from early on, right? I wouldn't have thought you'd have disliked his drumming for all that time although it's possible, I suppose.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2021, 01:51:03 AM »

Does all your dislike of MP and his drumming stem from the time you met him and didn't like him? You were a big DT fan from early on, right? I wouldn't have thought you'd have disliked his drumming for all that time although it's possible, I suppose.
That has nothing to do with why I love Vacant. That piece (and Wait For Sleep) just proves that a good piece doesn't necessarily need drums on it to be good. It's just a bass, a piano, James and a cello and that's all it needs.  (though I did dislike MP for long.)  I'd have loved for DT to have played it during the show I attended in 2004 actually. Another reason why I love Vacant is because it's a relatively quiet moment on an otherwise full out album (similarly to why Out Of Reach is among my favourites on D/T)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 10:36:12 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2021, 05:30:39 AM »
Ah, okay, fair enough 👍 I love Vacant for those reasons, too.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2021, 02:00:21 PM »
This Dying Soul is not only brilliant, it is also the start (when Mirror on Awake is'nt) of the twelve step suite. Therefore I can't think of a better song on this album. Train of Thought is without a doubt a top 5-album to me of all times. I really wonder what Portnoy was thinking when they wrote the twelve step suite. Was he already had The Glass Prison in mind or was it step by step.

I cannot think of anything better then this, when it comes to music. Still hope the release the twelve step suite on vinyl anytime.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Trav86

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2021, 03:58:34 PM »
This Dying Soul is not only brilliant, it is also the start (when Mirror on Awake is'nt) of the twelve step suite. Therefore I can't think of a better song on this album. Train of Thought is without a doubt a top 5-album to me of all times. I really wonder what Portnoy was thinking when they wrote the twelve step suite. Was he already had The Glass Prison in mind or was it step by step.

I cannot think of anything better then this, when it comes to music. Still hope the release the twelve step suite on vinyl anytime.

The Glass Prison came before This Dying Soul.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2021, 04:00:33 PM »
This Dying Soul is not only brilliant, it is also the start (when Mirror on Awake is'nt) of the twelve step suite.

The 12SS started with The Glass Prison on the prior album.

Still hope the release the twelve step suite on vinyl anytime.

There is no conceivable reason why they would do this.  Maybe if MP were still in the band, but not now.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2021, 11:55:16 PM »
TDS - I don't like the album (DT have never been a HEAVY band to me. It sounds silly, imo) but respect that they went for something different. However, the opening of TDS is amazing.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2021, 08:26:30 AM »
Still hope the release the twelve step suite on vinyl anytime.

There is no conceivable reason why they would do this.  Maybe if MP were still in the band, but not now.
Yeah, this is never, ever going to happen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2021, 04:37:19 PM »

As others said, The Glass Prison is the first Twelve-Step Suite song.

but TGP and TDS is just a pummeling 1-2 punch. It's unfortunate it was not performed in full with MP+DT.

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2021, 08:32:06 PM »

Didn’t they do them back to back at some shows during the 20th anniversary/Octavarium tour?

As others said, The Glass Prison is the first Twelve-Step Suite song.

but TGP and TDS is just a pummeling 1-2 punch. It's unfortunate it was not performed in full with MP+DT.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2021, 10:46:34 PM »

Agreed. Very artistic song. And it has a bass melody
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again