Author Topic: Extended Live Versions  (Read 3277 times)

Offline MHStrawn

Extended Live Versions
« on: March 25, 2021, 05:06:42 PM »
One of many things I like about DT's live catalog are the songs where they stretch things out and ad-lib or throw in the obvious influences on the songs.  Gonna start a list:

Live in Tokyo - Take The Time: extended ending solo (6)
Once in a Livetime - Take The Time: extended ending solo with Freebird segment (10)
Once in a Livetime - Lines in the Sand: Keys intro (10)
Once in a Livetime - Peruvian Skies: "Enter Sandman" segment (8)
Once in a Livetime - Trial of Tears: extended opening solo with Xanadu/Trees segment (also love the "rock out" ending of this version) (10)
Once in a Livetime - Hollow Years: brief guitar solo opening (7)
Once in a Livetime - Petrucci guitar solo bridging Peruvian Skies and Pull Me Under (7)
Live Scenes from New York - John / Teresa solo (6)
Live Scenes from New York - Through Her Eyes: Ending solo (7)
Live Scenes from New York - ACOS: modified "The Inevitable Summer" section
Live at Budokhan - Beyond This Life: lengthy, extended jam featuring Rudess/Portnoy call-response segment (10-absolutely phenomenal!)
Live at Budokhan - Instrumedley (10)
Live at Budokhan - Extended guitar opening (9)
When Dream & Day Unite Live - Metropolis: extended jam with Derek
Score - Spirit Carries On - Extended guitar/keys opening (7)
Chaos in Motion - Constant Motion Intro: 2001 Space Odyssey theme (10)
Chaos in Motion - Surrounded: Excerpt from Marillion's Sugar Mice (10)
Chaos in Motion - Scarred: Extended intro jam (8)

If there's any from Luna Park I've missed them (very possible bc I'm not a big fan of that release). Also, don't own Breaking the Fourth Wall and just got Distant Memories.  Also, didn't include any stand-alone solos but did those that segue into another song. 

What did I miss?  Do you guys enjoy these sections?  I'm old so I like the days when bands would enhance their studio versions with extended sections or play them completely differently or would throw in opportunities for jams or spontaneity.  I could be wrong but I feel like in general bands have largely gotten away from that and mostly stick to recreating the studio versions. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Extended Live Versions
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 07:04:15 PM »
I'm right with you on the way they change things up live. A lot of them never appeared on official live releases, but a bunch of them did end up on official bootlegs, as well as soundboard, radio broadcast and audience bootlegs. Some that come to mind:
the various instrumental jams that appeared throughout the Images and Tour and Music in Progress tours, such as Moon Bubbles, Slow Motion, Bombay Vindaloo and Barfbag
the Another Hand instrumental bridge on the Images and Tour and later tours when The Killing Hand was played
the extended instrumental jam following To Live Forever on 2 of the legs of the Music in Progress tour
the revamped intro to Status Seeker on the North American leg of the Music in Progress tour
the extended jam at the end of Take the Time on the Waking Up the World tour
the Awake Jam on the Waking Up the World tour
the A Crack in the Mirror intro to the Mirror on the Waking Up the World and Touring Into Infinity tours
the revamped version of Caught in a Web - called Caught in Alice's Nine Inch Tool Garden as played on the Fix for 96 and Evening of New Music tours
additional music jam included in Learning to Live on the Fix for 96, Evening of New Music and 20th Anniversary tours
their versions of the Mission: Impossible theme Dr. Evil theme, Thus Spake Zarathustra
the Working Man/By-Tor jam tacked on the end of Take the Time on World Tourbulence
the 2112 Grand Finale tacked on the end of Scarred on World Tourbulence
the warped version of Pull Me Under on World Tourbulence
extended versions of Hollow Years played on the Train of Thought and Progressive Nation 2009 tours
the additions of Pink Floyd and Metallica tracks in Peruvian Skies on the Touring Into Infinity and 20th Anniversary tours

on L@LP, there is an extended jam at the end of Metropolis part 1
several changes to songs during the Images and Words set on the Images, Words and Beyond tour
extended intro to Hell's Kitchen on the Images, Words and Beyond tour
the excerpt of Enter Sandman included in As I Am on the Images, Words and Beyond tour

I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones that come to mind right now.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 04:59:43 AM »
the first four measures of Closer To The Heart being added in to the end of AWE (shortly after Neil Peart's (I dare say) untimely passing)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 07:57:37 AM »
I'm all in on these extensions, too.  Obviously I like some more than others (the Surrounded is probably my favorite, though that can change) but for all the problems with OIALT (I'm not a fan of composite live albums; give me the whole show, please, and don't mix and match) it is those excursions that make it something I DO go back to frequently.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 08:46:43 AM »
LAB has the extended version of Hollow Years with JP's guitar solo as well.

While not recorded, the Astonishing tour had an extended (the intended) version of A New Beginning

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 08:49:12 AM »
I fear that extended live versions of DT songs may have gone the way of the dodo.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 10:09:37 AM »
I fear that extended live versions of DT songs may have gone the way of the dodo.

Didn't you see the Images and Words Tour.. They did that with most of the Images and Words sets. We even got Hourglass on the last show date.

They extended the solo to At Wits End a bit. And had to add a drum solo part in Fatal Tragedy so JR can get his Keytar on for the unison solo.

They did an Acoustic set on ADTOE tour. They added an Orchestra and the rarely played side of Awake including, a never before played song in Space Dye Vest, and included an Orchestra in the live release. They did a tour with only their Concept Album being played, and this had the intended Intro Narration, and the intended Outro to A New Beginning. Images and Words and Beyond had A JM solo spot, extended Images and Words song parts, and including A Change of Seasons. D/T had SFAM, with some tweaks and changes.

When they can tour again. I am really hoping they go all out and don't do any Anniversary Sets. Alternate setlists, and try and play as much songs as they can. I think they could extend some parts of certain songs...This is what I hope for, but don't expect to happen.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 04:50:11 PM »
Idk if he did it at the Budokan show that streamed online a few weeks ago, but at the end of Learning to Live during the IW&B tour when I saw them in Asbury Park, John Petrucci quoted the Wonder Woman movie theme.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jammindude

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 10:58:39 PM »
The extended version of Beyond This Life from Budakon is literally my all time favorite live track from anyone ever.

Might be my all time favorite Dream Theater moment period.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 04:20:07 PM »
What did I miss?

Compared to the total length of the song, The Score version of Octavarium is slightly extended to about 3 mins longer in the intro.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 01:55:07 PM »
This is what I love about their live performances. It has been disappointing that they have moved away from this and it seems a number of others feel the same way. The explanation seemed to be that they were working with a click track to make sure they stayed on time to match the music with lighting and video effects. While these are cool it is much more fulfilling to see extended solos, improvised spots, and other creative and unique features for a live show. It is one of the reasons that makes the live show so special. I also feel like the band seems more restrained because they have to keep to a tight window the whole show. Idk, I could be wrong about the last point though.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 03:26:46 PM »

This is what I love about their live performances. It has been disappointing that they have moved away from this and it seems a number of others feel the same way. The explanation seemed to be that they were working with a click track to make sure they stayed on time to match the music with lighting and video effects. While these are cool it is much more fulfilling to see extended solos, improvised spots, and other creative and unique features for a live show. It is one of the reasons that makes the live show so special. I also feel like the band seems more restrained because they have to keep to a tight window the whole show. Idk, I could be wrong about the last point though.

There's nothing about using a click track that precludes having different/extended versions of songs. 

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 03:58:28 PM »
Yes, drum solo by MM on Beyond this Live in London for example, different outro on AWE Live in London, and well.. ahem JLB does some improvising here and there.  :biggrin:

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2021, 09:20:14 PM »
Yes, drum solo by MM on Beyond this Live in London for example, different outro on AWE Live in London, and well.. ahem JLB does some improvising here and there.  :biggrin:

I wonder if they actually had to see how long it takes for JR's Keyboard Tech to bring JR his Keytar to when he starts playing?  :lol

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PetFish

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2021, 12:47:24 AM »
My favourite is the LSFNY Learning to Live reggae breakdown.

I'm also sad that they don't do this stuff these days.  I can understand when they did the entire The Astonishing and wanting it to be an experience, but that's the only tour I can see extensions not happening.

Every other tour has opportunities to do something different with any given song.  I wish they'd do this stuff again.  I even like medleys but if I had to choose I'd take extended or even "warped" versions.  The warped Pull Me Under is amazing but they rarely did it.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2021, 12:43:28 PM »
My favourite is the LSFNY Learning to Live reggae breakdown.

I forgot all about that! I freaking LOVE that part. I also love the crowd chanting in the outro.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2021, 07:14:10 AM »
One of the most impressive extension for me is on the Lines In The Sand solo before the "bridge" / break section from Live at Bucharest. Holy Zeus is JP on fire here! He combines every technique into something just mind-blowing.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 09:54:25 AM »
I know it’s not DT but it’s close enough considering it’s Portnoy/Rudess/Petrucci.  Those LTE live albums/dvds feature lots of improvisation and extended sections.  If people have not checked those out, it’s some of the most incredible playing I’ve ever seen.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 10:04:19 AM »
One of the most impressive extension for me is on the Lines In The Sand solo before the "bridge" / break section from Live at Bucharest. Holy Zeus is JP on fire here! He combines every technique into something just mind-blowing.
Yeah, the version of LitS they played on World Tourbulence is by far my favorite version of that song. Wish they would bring that back in full - even the version on the Chaos in Motion tour wasn't the same.

I know it’s not DT but it’s close enough considering it’s Portnoy/Rudess/Petrucci.  Those LTE live albums/dvds feature lots of improvisation and extended sections.  If people have not checked those out, it’s some of the most incredible playing I’ve ever seen.
Very true! Glad we've got the 2 shows from 2008 to enjoy as well as all the improvs from the other shows on that tour and the L3E2 disc from Chicago. Hope one day they'll officially release a show from 1999, as well as tour for the new album!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.