Author Topic: What to Do in Milwaukee  (Read 1418 times)

Offline pg1067

What to Do in Milwaukee
« on: March 22, 2021, 12:34:21 PM »
My almost 19yo son and I are looking to visit Milwaukee around the end of April when the Dodgers play the Brewers (4-game series between April 29 - May 2).

We're going to rent a VRBO and probably won't be there more than two days.

So...what to do?

If it were just me or I were there with someone over 21, I'd see about something Miller beer related, but that's not an option.  My son has said he wants to make a grilled cheese sandwich in Wisconsin with Wisconsin cheese, so something cheese related would be cool.

Also, how "open" is Milwaukee right now?  Indoor dining happening?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: What to Do in Milwaukee
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 01:14:57 PM »
Shotz Brewery tour?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 01:19:53 PM »
I don't live there now, so I can't comment on how open or closed things are, but whenever we go back for a visit, I love going to the Milwaukee Public Museum. If they're open to doing tours, it's worth touring the Sprecher Brewery, who brew both beer and soda. And of course, there's always the Miller Brewery, but I've never done the tour there, so I can't comment on it.

In terms of food, make sure you hit a frozen custard stand - frozen custard is a super rich, creamy ice cream, and most of those places have really good burgers, too. Most popular ones are Kopp's and Leon's. Also, a buddy of mine has told me that Lou Malnati's now has one (or more) places in Milwaukee - absolutely killer Chicago-style deep dish pizza! And check out the Milwaukee Public Market - there's quite a few small restaurants in there that offer a wide variety of foods as well as stuff to buy. If by some chance they're open, check out The Safehouse, which is a restaurant/bar with a 60s James Bond theme to it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 01:33:10 PM »
The only time I was ever in Milwaukee was after graduating Naval Boot Camp at Great Lakes Naval Base over in Waukegan.  Damn, that was almost 40 years ago  :omg:

What I "did" was 2 things: 

1. Whores
2. Whiskey

On a serious note, though, I seem to recall that there are some breweries there that offer tours.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 01:38:35 PM »
How about the Harley Davidson museum or manufacturing tour?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 01:53:43 PM »
Dammit, PG, I want to hang with you and your son.  Nothing sounds better right now than a good grilled cheese sandwich and a Miller High Life.   :) :) :)

Offline T-ski

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 02:08:25 PM »
Not sure what is open, but Sprecher Brewery if you like beer, they make soda too so the 19 yo can try stuff. 😉

I’ll second the Public Museum.

You can also get your pic taken with the Bronze Fonz...

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 04:43:32 PM »
Shotz Brewery tour?

Thanks Squiggy.   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 04:47:48 PM »
You can also get your pic taken with the Bronze Fonz...

Oh hell yes!! That would be cool!

Dammit, PG, I want to hang with you and your son.  Nothing sounds better right now than a good grilled cheese sandwich and a Miller High Life.   :) :) :)

I prefer Miller Genuine Draft.

My son was accepted into the Milwaukee School Of Engineering.  He's not going to Milwaukee..lol
In fact I made a Fonzie reference yesterday and he had no idea WTF I was talking about. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 04:51:03 PM »
I don't live there now, so I can't comment on how open or closed things are, but whenever we go back for a visit, I love going to the Milwaukee Public Museum. If they're open to doing tours, it's worth touring the Sprecher Brewery, who brew both beer and soda. And of course, there's always the Miller Brewery, but I've never done the tour there, so I can't comment on it.

In terms of food, make sure you hit a frozen custard stand - frozen custard is a super rich, creamy ice cream, and most of those places have really good burgers, too. Most popular ones are Kopp's and Leon's. Also, a buddy of mine has told me that Lou Malnati's now has one (or more) places in Milwaukee - absolutely killer Chicago-style deep dish pizza! And check out the Milwaukee Public Market - there's quite a few small restaurants in there that offer a wide variety of foods as well as stuff to buy. If by some chance they're open, check out The Safehouse, which is a restaurant/bar with a 60s James Bond theme to it.

All good suggestions!  Thanks.

How about the Harley Davidson museum or manufacturing tour?

Good call.  Thanks.

Right?!  The boy likes to make them with sourdough bread and is fastidious about getting the bread toasted just right.

And I'll definitely find the Bronze Fonz.  That's AWESOME!

I prefer Miller Genuine Draft.

As do I, but I'll take a High Life too.  MGD was my domestic beer of choice back in the day.

Offline HOF

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 09:48:14 PM »
Never been to Milwaukee, but I recommend flicking through the channels on the TV on a Sunday in the rain.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 09:59:00 PM »
Few more things:

Got to go to a grocery store and get some Danish kringle and cheese curds. Kringle is a type of Danish pastry that's popular and comes with a variety of filling flavors. Cheese curds are (if you don't know) cheese in it's natural state (not being pressed into shape); they seem to have a freshness regular cheese does not and sometimes squeek when you bite into them

Karl Ratzsch's - well known German restaurant. I remember the apple pancakes being awesome.

Mitchell Park Conservatory (The Domes) - Conservatory composed of three beehive-shaped glass domes that each feature a different theme/climate (show, tropical, arid). Great if you're into horticulture.

Discovery World - museum that focuses on innovation and technology, as well as Great Lakes education and conservation. Its building is filled with interactive exhibits, theaters, the Reiman Family Aquarium and Wisconsin's official flagship, the Denis Sullivan, a fully functional sailing vessel modeled after a 19th-century Great Lakes schooner. It's geared more towards kids, but I still like it (but I prefer the Milwaukee Public Museum).

Pabst Mansion - originally home to Pabst Brewing Company founder Frederick Pabst, turned into a museum. Featuring 37 rooms, 12 baths and 14 fireplaces, built in Flemish Renaissance style. Cool to tour if you're into architecture.

One place I haven't been to yet but a buddy of mine told me about is Glorioso's Italian Grocery on Brady Street.

After the pandemic is over, if you go at the end of June/beginning of July, you'll have to check out Summerfest, which is a HUGE music/food festival along the lakefront. Was the place where I saw DT for the first time back in 1993.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 06:34:31 AM »
I've always loved The Safehouse.  It's a secret agent/spy themed bar/restaurant.  If you don't know the password to get in, they make you do something silly (broadcast to the inside patrons for amusement).  There are multiple ways to leave the restaurant by secret exit. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 06:09:34 PM »
How was your visit?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 09:45:35 AM »
Didn't go.  The explanation why is long and boring, but the trip is still on the table for another time.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 05:16:48 PM »
Didn't go.  The explanation why is long and boring, but the trip is still on the table for another time.

The Bronze Fonz will await your arrival.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 09:30:42 AM »

The Bronze Fonz will await your arrival.

:tup :tup