Author Topic: Dream Theater songs where you can hear a clear influence of other bands?  (Read 6472 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
I know there have been posts about this before, so I will just share these videos, that have also been shared before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gqsQ9Njhsc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GDfAfY_r30
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
There is a literal shit ton of such songs.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

IMHO the Sting and Michael Jackson references you mentioned would possibly be Shape Of My Heart and Give In To Me respectively. (although Sacrifice is much slower in its introductory section)
Good call Max. You're probably right on the Sting track (not super familiar with his solo catalog) and definitely correct on the MJ track.  :tup

On the Backs of Angels sounds a lot like a Dream Theater song
As do Lost Not Forgotten, Outcry, This is the Life and Breaking All Illusions, right? :neverusethis:

Surrounded = Sugar Mice by Marillion, same pace, same type of guitar arpeggios. They even played an excerpt of it inside the song in 2007. Best version ever.
And Sugar Mice is a sort of homage to Mother, by Pink Floyd (at least the solo).
Which would make sense for why DT also included a bit of it in Surrounded '07.  :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Thanks Scotty. Wasn't fishing for it. (for reference, this is Shape Of My Heart, on my personal favourite Sting album too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlwIDxCjL-8)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline HOF

Surrounded = Sugar Mice by Marillion, same pace, same type of guitar arpeggios. They even played an excerpt of it inside the song in 2007. Best version ever.

And Sugar Mice is a sort of homage to Mother, by Pink Floyd (at least the solo).

I think Learning To Live is VERY Rush-like, in the instrumental parts.

Goodnight Kiss has a strong Queen vibe.

Good call on Queen and Goodnight Kiss (complete with “you’re just a poor girl” in place of “I’m just a poor boy”). The second half of that song is also very Pink Floyd-ish.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was listening to The Pinnacle by Kansas (great song) and the keyboards around 2:35 reminds me of the intro to Surrounded. Just like Father To Son by Queen.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Enigmachine

The beginning of En Force by Queensryche bears a similarity to Finally Free, as in the bit with the bells just before the reprise of One Last Time.

Offline MHStrawn

Octavarium - Pink Floyd (Shine on You Crazy Diamond)
Peruvian Skies - Metallica (Enter Sandman)
The Great Debate - Tool (not specific)
The Count of Tuscany - Yes (Gates of Delirium "Soon" section)
Illumination Theory - Yes (Close to the Edge)
Surrounded - Marillion (Sugar Mice)
A Dramatic Turn of Events - Dream Theater (Images & Words)

That's off the top of my head....I imagine there's many more as DT has never been afraid to wear their influences.

Offline pg1067

Illumination Theory - Yes (Close to the Edge)

I don't hear that at all.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MHStrawn

The entire mid-section sounds like a version of the middle section of CTTE.  YMMV.

Offline pg1067

The entire mid-section sounds like a version of the middle section of CTTE.  YMMV.

Similar feel, I guess, but I've always gotten a Disney/Fantasia vibe from the middle section of IT.  Nothing at all like that with CTTE.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MHStrawn

Similar feel, I guess, but I've always gotten a Disney/Fantasia vibe from the middle section of IT.  Nothing at all like that with CTTE.

Yeah, definitely more about the placement and how it fits arrangement-wise and how it's the "quiet" middle surrounded by louder stuff on each side.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
The beginning of En Force by Queensryche bears a similarity to Finally Free, as in the bit with the bells just before the reprise of One Last Time.
Good One!!!  How the hell did I not make that connection?  As soon as I read your post and played it through my head the light bulb went off!  Should have caught this one with Warning being one of my favorite albums ever, and also loving Finally Free.

Offline MHStrawn

Good One!!!  How the hell did I not make that connection?  As soon as I read your post and played it through my head the light bulb went off!  Should have caught this one with Warning being one of my favorite albums ever, and also loving Finally Free.

I agree...I never made that connection but it's dead on.  BTW, EnForce is a hidden QR gem.

Offline Architeuthis

On JP'S new solo album, there's a obvious knod to The Who's Baba o'Reilly main riff in the Happy Song.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
On JP'S new solo album, there's a obvious knod to The Who's Baba o'Reilly main riff in the Happy Song.

He rips off Octavarium too in the same song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Talking about JP's solo album,

Out of the Blue sounds very similar to Vai's Tender Surrender. At least the intro
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline HOF

So the recurring guitar riff in White Lion’s Lights and Thunder sounds an awful lot like a riff JP uses on Fatal Tragedy (it’s in several places, but also right at the end of Fatal Tragedy for a quick reference). There’s also a break with a drum fill that is very similar to MPs in Fatal Tragedy/Metropolis pt. 1.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iHGA_k-umtI

Offline darkshade

Ocatavarium

I get the Pink Floyd influence in the intro, but how does remaining 20 minutes sound like PF?

Came in to say "in before almost every DT song is mentioned" but it seems I am too late.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

Everybody always say “I walk beside you” sounds like U2 but I think it sounds like Journey.
“Our new world” sounds like Journey also.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

“Paralyzed”. And “fall into the light” sound like nuno Bettecourt in the intro’s.
Except less funky

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
The Way it Used to Be - U2
Never Enough - Muse
Panic Attack - Muse (The "Helpless Hysteria" part)

Offline Trav86

There is a literal shit ton of such songs.

This was my first thought. Some are just a lot more obvious.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The chords behind the chorus (or when that section plays during the intro) of BAI, reminds me heavily of the chorus of Rush's Between the Wheels.  I'd have to check but the chords and progression could be the same.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Snow Dog

The chords behind the chorus (or when that section plays during the intro) of BAI, reminds me heavily of the chorus of Rush's Between the Wheels.  I'd have to check but the chords and progression could be the same.

I had never noticed that before! And I think you’re absolutely right.

Offline Architeuthis

So the recurring guitar riff in White Lion’s Lights and Thunder sounds an awful lot like a riff JP uses on Fatal Tragedy (it’s in several places, but also right at the end of Fatal Tragedy for a quick reference). There’s also a break with a drum fill that is very similar to MPs in Fatal Tragedy/Metropolis pt. 1.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iHGA_k-umtI
That's one of my favorite White Lion Songs. Mane Attraction is a excellent album!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Talking about JP's solo album,

Out of the Blue sounds very similar to Vai's Tender Surrender. At least the intro

Yeah, but I always felt like Vai ripped that off from Hendrix’s Villanova Junction first. 😂
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Architeuthis

There's an obvious knod to Tempus Fugit on TA album.  I think it might be A Life Left Behind if I remember right.