Author Topic: What is the HEAVIEST Dream Theater song?  (Read 10099 times)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Re: What is the HEAVIEST Dream Theater song?
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2021, 01:56:46 PM »
I’ve always thought A Nightmare To Remember was the heaviest.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2021, 06:37:43 AM »
If anyone here is on cameo and feels like spending a few bucks, please ask MP if SDOIT and ITPOE are full songs or not and put that debate to rest :lol :biggrin:

See if that guy Vince whose bought like 40 Cameo's can work it into one of his. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2021, 07:58:45 AM »
It definitely has some extremely heavy parts, but that lengthy "Beautiful Agony" section kind of disqualifies it for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2021, 09:14:37 AM »
It definitely has some extremely heavy parts, but that lengthy "Beautiful Agony" section kind of disqualifies it for me.

Yeah that thought crossed my mind too. But it’s only about a third of the song. And it has the first blast beat which definitely qualifies it for me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2021, 10:06:55 AM »
it’s only about a third of the song.
Well, yeah, that's my point.  In the category of "heaviest", this song is 33% not heavy.

The other 66% is, of course, definitely heavy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2021, 12:24:42 AM »
Well, yeah, that's my point.  In the category of "heaviest", this song is 33% not heavy.

You mean the other 66.6% to be precise   :metal

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2021, 10:59:22 AM »

That actually reminds me how wild a song ANTR is. While yes, it does have that Beautiful Agony midsection that's like 3 or 4 mins iirc, not only is it monumentally heavy for about 10 or 11 minutes (excluding the piano intro/outro), but each side of that is also unrelentingly dark as well. During that time, it might very well be heavier than most of TDS and TGP too. Maybe that's why people tend to get fatigued with that track, because it's one of those tracks that can be so intense for so long (I think the only reason isn't referred to as an epic is that TCoT eclipses it in length) that it borders on being a test of stamina. Even if it doesn't have the status of heaviest DT song absolutely (which imo it's in the runnings still), it's notable for being that heavy for that long.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2021, 01:06:28 PM »
While yes, it does have that Beautiful Agony midsection that's like 3 or 4 mins iirc, not only is it monumentally heavy for about 10 or 11 minutes (excluding the piano intro/outro), but each side of that is also unrelentingly dark as well.
It is certainly dark musically, but please remember, EVERYONE SURVIVED RORORORORORO

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2021, 01:30:53 PM »
The Dark Eternal Night came to mind first. I really like that song too, distorted vocals and all. The closing riff is pure  :metal

Offline darkshade

« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2021, 04:56:43 PM »
I think ANTR a notable inclusion to this discussion. It is surely one of their heaviest songs, even the middle section is heavy, the verses in Beautiful Agony, especially the 2nd one, seems to get overlooked by the main theme/chorus of that section. Understandably so, as that is arguably the highlight of the entire piece. Even the initial transition into the BA section is heavy, despite the distorted guitars going clean. You don't need distortion on an electric guitar to be heavy.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2021, 12:42:36 PM »
I've changed my mind, I'm going with Panic Attack. It doesn't stop from start to finish.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2021, 09:33:35 AM »
I've changed my mind, I'm going with Panic Attack. It doesn't stop from start to finish.

This highlights how diverse of an album Octavarium is stylistically. Panic Attack and The Answer Lies Within are on the same album.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2021, 09:42:23 AM »

This highlights how diverse of an album Octavarium is stylistically. Panic Attack and The Answer Lies Within are on the same album.
Unfortunately.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2021, 09:52:22 AM »

Unfortunately.

Idk if you’re referring to one of the songs or both of them, but I absolutely ADORE Panic Attack. TALW, I mean I like it, but it’s definitely in the lower half of their discography.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2021, 12:07:01 PM »

Unfortunately.

Idk if you’re referring to one of the songs or both of them, but I absolutely ADORE Panic Attack. TALW, I mean I like it, but it’s definitely in the lower half of their discography.
Both.  But that's just me. 

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2021, 03:21:35 AM »
For me, The Mirror is the heaviest. That nasty riff with JLB's screeching vocals are definitely heavy. Not heavy in a show-off metal way, but musically very heavy.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2021, 06:00:19 AM »
:hifive:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2021, 08:05:40 AM »
For me, The Mirror is the heaviest. That nasty riff with JLB's screeching vocals are definitely heavy. Not heavy in a show-off metal way, but musically very heavy.

JLB's vocals on that album seemed forced to me and in fact so much so that fans thought that DT had changed singers. I've always wondered if one of he was pushed towards this style of vocalization.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2021, 11:16:03 AM »
I know the wiki says "The popularity of alternative metal and groove metal meant that the band's record label, East West, were keen for the band to create a heavier, darker album" and I remember seeing something like that in the Lifting Shadows book too. I still think the album feels genuine, but at the same time, there was probably a bit of label nudging here and there as well.

« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2021, 11:50:27 AM »

JLB's vocals on that album seemed forced to me and in fact so much so that fans thought that DT had changed singers. I've always wondered if one of he was pushed towards this style of vocalization.

JLB talks about it in a recent interview with Peter Orullian on youtube. IIRC, he said he developed this style on tour and, in the recording sessions, KM encouraged him to go for it.

Offline jammindude

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2021, 12:23:27 PM »
Raw Dog

+1

It really is a heavy song. And arguably could very well be their heaviest song.

I remember when they were touring with Iron Maiden and we came up with what we think there setlist will be and I remember picking Raw Dog.

The coolest thing I did though that made me notice how heavy it is was crossfading These Walls ending chord to transition into Raw Dogs opening chords. It works well, and really showcases how intense and heavy Raw Dog is...

Although, it's obviously a song they wrote on a whim and one that I would really consider a filler song, one that the band wrote because the label wanted them to write a song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2021, 02:36:36 PM »

JLB talks about it in a recent interview with Peter Orullian on youtube. IIRC, he said he developed this style on tour and, in the recording sessions, KM encouraged him to go for it.

I was just about to say this. Highly recommend the interview...there was a lot of really interesting ground covered.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2021, 03:42:03 PM »

I was just about to say this. Highly recommend the interview...there was a lot of really interesting ground covered.

It really is...and I should've guessed it would be, because JLB is a big influence of Peter's. As his intro says all too well.  :biggrin:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Metaldude

« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2021, 06:24:11 AM »
The Dark Eternal Night and A Nightmare to Remember are the ones that came to mind first.
ANtR is very heavy and kinda dark which puts it over the top as the heaviest - imho.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2021, 05:22:31 PM »
Has to be mentioned - The production on BSCL gives ANTR a bit of an unfair handicap. That song slaps live.

But still... probably Glass Prison
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2021, 04:48:21 AM »
Surprised that A Nightmare To Remember didn't get 100 mentions immediately. Yes, it has that mellower part in the middle, but it also has some of DT's heaviest parts (pseudo-growl, blastbeat, a lot of double, 7-string guitar).
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2021, 06:21:49 AM »
To me probably Honor thy Father, for the emotions involved due to Portnoy growing up as a kid.

But in a strange way, I'll vote for Space Dye Vest as well. Moore's deeply desire, mixed with an psychodelec Pink Floyd-style and dark, lost mindset underneath, makes it truly beautiful, but heavy as well.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...