Author Topic: The chorus of Bridges in the Sky is so good it deserves its own topic  (Read 5592 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The chorus of Bridges in the Sky is so good it deserves its own topic
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2020, 03:50:49 PM »
Outside of a few outspoken voices on social media (which is pretty much ALWAYS the case), I don't think it got much of a bad rap at all. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2020, 03:57:18 PM »
Love Bridges in the Sky. The live version, especially the intro, riff just slays.  Having said that, I always felt that the last couple of lines of the chorus in the middle "On a journey to renew my life
Shaman take my hand" (the more epic, where JLB goes to a higher register and feels more epic) should have been in end to close the song, while those two last lines in the end of the song (same lines "On a journey to renew my life, Shaman take my hand" just sang in a lower register) should have been in the middle. 

Offline Loggins

• Rocks.
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2020, 02:51:20 PM »
Excellent song, and really, there were several really good ones on that album.

Offline Metaldude

This is one of the most "complete" songs I have ever heard from any act.
Everything comes together in this song from the theme, to the music, to the lyrics and the performance and flow of the song itself.
Each time I listen I have visions of various shamen I have seen over the years performing their various incantations.
This is a spiritual song seemingly in their honour and the most powerful line for me is
"To the power of the earth I'm calling..."
Very evocative.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2021, 02:36:52 PM »
I like the chorus and instrumental section but otherwise not a big fan of this song.  In fact, it's been so long since I heard it, I had to go back and remind myself of the parts I don't like.  I wouldn't necessarily call it a bad song but compared to BAI, it's pretty much middle of the road for me.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2021, 10:17:13 PM »
I just want to say that while I love the chorus of BITS and think it worthy of melodic respect, I will never understand why D12 gets such a bad rap from fans. It's got a several great melodic chorus moments so if you like BITS I don't understand the disappointment with D12.   :huh:

Totally agree. Dream Theater is such a beautiful album and each time a lay the vinyl on the pickup, it touches me deeply. With, to me, the Bigger Picture and Illumination Theory as his crown on the throne.

Althought, in the other tread ‘bout 10 favorite DT songs, the combination Brigdes in the Sky / Outcry was in for me, close followed by Myungs written Breaking all Illusions.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...