Author Topic: Jordan Rudess - A Chapter in Time  (Read 3501 times)

Offline Hypnotherapist

Jordan Rudess - A Chapter in Time
« on: March 12, 2021, 02:17:27 PM »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE : March 12, 2021 : Jordan Rudess releases new solo album “A Chapter In Time.”

This album was created as a musical reflection of a most unusual time in our history. When Covid forced everyone to stay at home, I felt an intense desire to express myself the best way I know how. Like a musical diary, I would capture my thoughts and feelings at the piano to create what is now presented to you as “A Chapter in Time”

Purchase now at Bandcamp!
https://jordanrudess.bandcamp.com/album/a-chapter-in-time

Offline Dream Team

Re: Jordan Rudess - A Chapter in Time
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 06:01:02 PM »
Sweet!

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 04:19:14 AM »
Has anybody heard the whole thing? Is it all dreamy grand piano stuff or is there also some JR-craziness going on?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 06:35:13 AM »
Well it says JR plays 'keyboards' on it not just piano and in the spiel - JR says he's used all sorts of keyboards and synths etc so i'd imagine it's a mixed bag.

I wonder if he's ever recorded guitar on his albums as we've all seen him play - and he can obviously program drums and he has a decent voice.

He could do a proper full band one man solo album if he wanted to.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 08:02:13 PM »
JR isn't human.

If any of you follow him on Twitter/Facebook/etc he's never not making music.  It's crazy.

Might be fun to try and fudge the math to try and make a rough estimate of how many notes he's played in his life.  Chords would count as all of their individual notes.  I'd say billions.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 01:07:56 PM »
JR isn't human.

If any of you follow him on Twitter/Facebook/etc he's never not making music.  It's crazy.

Might be fun to try and fudge the math to try and make a rough estimate of how many notes he's played in his life.  Chords would count as all of their individual notes.  I'd say billions.

How many notes do you think JP, JM, JR, MM, KM, DS, and MP have played collectively? Half a trillion?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 01:10:30 PM »
JR isn't human.

How many notes do you think JP, JM, JR, MM, KM, DS, and MP have played collectively? Half a trillion?

on which album?  :P

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 01:37:39 PM »
Has anyone listened to this album? I enjoyed the last one.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 02:12:29 PM »
I listened. It's an album of very enjoyable and sparse mood pieces. Less of the virtuoso side we're used to and more of the ambient side.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 12:52:56 PM »
I listened. It's an album of very enjoyable and sparse mood pieces. Less of the virtuoso side we're used to and more of the ambient side.

This makes me interested to listen because quite frankly JR solo work is really hard to digest with the barrage notes consistently being thrown at me

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 01:16:52 PM »

This makes me interested to listen because quite frankly JR solo work is really hard to digest with the barrage notes consistently being thrown at me

Exactly!

Thanks Skeever.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 10:21:48 PM »

Exactly!

Thanks Skeever.

x3, that's why I usually don't bother listening to his solo piano albums, and he's released a lot of them. I find his prog rock/metal albums are filled with great compositions, but he tends to overplay a lot on his piano only albums.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline darkshade

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 08:42:53 AM »
JR isn't human.

on which album?  :P

I mean every note they've all ever played throughout their lives.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 08:47:10 AM »
What are Jordan's prog rock/metal albums? I know Feeding the Wheel, Rhythm of Time, and Wired for Madness. Are there others? I know a couple other albums but they're solo piano.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 09:54:24 AM »
I love his piano playing, overplaying included. But I still prefer his "rock" albums, so I don't know how I feel about this one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 10:06:45 AM »
What are Jordan's prog rock/metal albums? I know Feeding the Wheel, Rhythm of Time, and Wired for Madness. Are there others? I know a couple other albums but they're solo piano.
The Road Home is an album of prog covers.

He also has some older albums that I don't think are solo piano, but I don't know for sure (haven't listened to them).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 10:08:55 AM »
Feeding The Wheel and Rhythm Of Time are rather prog, as is his collaborative album with John (An Evening with John Petrucci And Jordan Rudess)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2021, 10:22:08 AM »

Basically those 3 you mentioned, but there's also The Road Home*, which is a cover album with great versions of classic prog songs by Genesis, Yes, ELP, Gentle Giant and King Crimson. It also features great guests like Neal Morse, Nick D'Virgilio, Marco Sfogli, Bumblefoot, Steven Wilson, etc.

*Ninja'd by hef.

There's also an older "prog" solo album, "Listen", it's not that good really, though it's the one that made him "known" in the prog world and brought him to DT's radar back in '94.

The Rudess/Morgenstein Project album is really good too, much closer to the stuff you hear on Feeding the Wheel and Rhythm of Time.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline darkshade

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2021, 04:40:34 PM »
Thanks, everyone. Yes, the Evening With JP and JR album is one of my favorite DT-related albums.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 02:37:30 PM »
I love his piano playing, overplaying included. But I still prefer his "rock" albums, so I don't know how I feel about this one.

I checked out Weightless on YouTube and it was ultra mellow.  Not sure if I can deal with a whole album like that.  I don't see it available on iTunes or YouTube Music yet, so it'll have to wait.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2021, 04:14:50 PM »

I checked out Weightless on YouTube and it was ultra mellow.  Not sure if I can deal with a whole album like that.  I don't see it available on iTunes or YouTube Music yet, so it'll have to wait.

I heard it aswell, it is quite mellow. Not the kind of music I like to hear, but it is awesome that he is always writing music.