Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 69658 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #560 on: September 01, 2021, 07:19:08 AM »
Fun Fact. It was Superhero theme day at work and I found a MARVEL T shirt for £3 in a charity shop. Better than wearing my uniform for a day!

But one guy arrived in the full batman outfit. And he had NO IDEA who Bruce Wayne was and has never seen a batman film or TV episode in his life.

:lolpalm: How do you never see at least one Batman film? Or not know who Bruce Wayne is ?!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #561 on: September 01, 2021, 07:24:49 AM »
Fun Fact. It was Superhero theme day at work and I found a MARVEL T shirt for £3 in a charity shop. Better than wearing my uniform for a day!

But one guy arrived in the full batman outfit. And he had NO IDEA who Bruce Wayne was and has never seen a batman film or TV episode in his life.

:lolpalm: How do you never see at least one Batman film? Or not know who Bruce Wayne is ?!

Are you sure he wasn't just pretending to be Batman so hard that he denied he was Bruce Wayne?  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #562 on: September 01, 2021, 07:59:28 AM »
Batman v. Superman > Iron Man 2
I mean, I guess someone had to feel that way.

Growing up, I definitely liked the characters of Batman and Superman better than Iron Man.  But I thought Batman v Superman was complete trash.  I cannot fathom liking any Marvel film less than that.

Have you had a chance to see the Snyder cut of Justice League?

Not yet. 

It's weird; I was absolutely a DC kid growing up.  I subscribed to Green Lantern, Flash and Brave And The Bold.  I generally don't care for the presentation of the DC characters in the movies; they always seemed to be too rooted in the '30s (naive), or the '60s (camp) which isn't the period I really liked (I liked that '70s/'80's vibe).    I much prefer the MCU in total even though Dr. Strange (in retrospect) and Fantastic Four (to which I subscribed as well) are the only ones I paid attention to in real time.

But having said that, I liked Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill as Batman/Superman, and while the movie had problems (I still don't get that whole desert scene) I thought there were high points that made it a very enjoyable film for me.   I LIKE that sort of "miserable" Batman, that sort of almost-on-the-spectrum dedication of Batman to his obsession.   And it's specifically against IM2; I'm not a Gwyneth Paltrow fan, so when she's on screen, I yawn, and while I like Mickey Rourke a LOT, he was an odd one and done in this film. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #563 on: September 01, 2021, 08:31:32 AM »

Maybe he was just a fan of Only Fools and Horses.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #564 on: September 01, 2021, 10:51:20 AM »
Batman v. Superman > Iron Man 2
I mean, I guess someone had to feel that way.

Growing up, I definitely liked the characters of Batman and Superman better than Iron Man.  But I thought Batman v Superman was complete trash.  I cannot fathom liking any Marvel film less than that.

Have you had a chance to see the Snyder cut of Justice League?

Not yet. 

It's weird; I was absolutely a DC kid growing up.  I subscribed to Green Lantern, Flash and Brave And The Bold.  I generally don't care for the presentation of the DC characters in the movies; they always seemed to be too rooted in the '30s (naive), or the '60s (camp) which isn't the period I really liked (I liked that '70s/'80's vibe).    I much prefer the MCU in total even though Dr. Strange (in retrospect) and Fantastic Four (to which I subscribed as well) are the only ones I paid attention to in real time.

But having said that, I liked Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill as Batman/Superman, and while the movie had problems (I still don't get that whole desert scene) I thought there were high points that made it a very enjoyable film for me.   I LIKE that sort of "miserable" Batman, that sort of almost-on-the-spectrum dedication of Batman to his obsession.   And it's specifically against IM2; I'm not a Gwyneth Paltrow fan, so when she's on screen, I yawn, and while I like Mickey Rourke a LOT, he was an odd one and done in this film.
I also liked the 70s/80s era of DC.  I loved Brave & The Bold!  Recently at a con here in Raleigh, I tracked down a couple of DC Blue Ribbon Digests.  Do you remember those?

I also like Affleck as Batman and Cavill as Supes.  Probably my favorite actors in those roles.  But I still hated that movie.  Snyder treated all of those characters and ideas with very little respect.  However, I admit that the Snyder Cut of JL is better than the theatrical release (although still not as good a film as, say, Wonder Woman).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #565 on: September 01, 2021, 11:45:01 AM »
I do remember!  I might even have a couple downstairs (though sadly most of my comics are not in good condition).

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #566 on: September 01, 2021, 12:05:35 PM »
I always loved the Blue Ribbon Digest - Year's Best Comic Stories editions, which would collect the 10 most acclaimed single issue DC stories of the year.  They did that from I guess the mid 70s to the early 80s.  Great stuff.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #567 on: September 01, 2021, 12:39:57 PM »
What, what's going on?  Sorry, I fell asleep when someone said "DC."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #568 on: September 01, 2021, 12:48:18 PM »
Sorry, boss.

Until J. Jonah Jameson proclaims the virtues of Spider-Man, MAKE MINE MARVEL!  'Nuff Said.

Excelsior!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #569 on: September 01, 2021, 04:29:53 PM »
It's ok, the DC conversation will go away by tomorrow when we have some new stuff to talk about.

Growing up in the 90s, I did enjoyed DC stuff more than Marvel back then. At least comics and cartoons.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: September 04, 2021, 02:57:00 AM »
I read a quote recently from Kevin Feige where he basically said they're going to slowly build up again to the big "New Avengers" movie...

Which is great. I was worried they'd try to do a DC and introduce maybe one or two new characters then do the ensemble immediately.

Plus they probably saw that didn't work at all for DC.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #571 on: September 07, 2021, 09:48:42 AM »
I read a quote recently from Kevin Feige where he basically said they're going to slowly build up again to the big "New Avengers" movie...

Which is great. I was worried they'd try to do a DC and introduce maybe one or two new characters then do the ensemble immediately.

Plus they probably saw that didn't work at all for DC.
Well, even if they tried that, they would make it work better than DC.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #572 on: September 10, 2021, 09:33:43 PM »
Four new dates for MCU films in 2024 have been announced, leaving us with 7 untitled MCU films from the rest of 2023 and all of 2024.

July 28th, 2023
October 6th, 2023
November 10th, 2023
February 16th, 2024
May 3rd, 2024
July 26th, 2024
November 8th, 2024

So far, there are 5 films without release dates yet - Blade, Fantastic Four, Deadpool 3, Captain America 4, and a Mutant-centric film. I suspect 2024 will see a Shang-Chi sequel, and the seventh film will be a team-uo/crossover film, probably the May 2024 release date.

The film on November 8th 2024 will be the 40th MCU film, in under 17 years.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #573 on: September 13, 2021, 07:10:46 AM »
Hawkeye trailer just dropped....

https://youtu.be/5VYb3B1ETlk

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online The Letter M

« Reply #575 on: September 13, 2021, 07:25:17 AM »

Oh this looks GOOD. And Hailee Steinfeld is going to be fantastic! I'm enjoying their dynamic in just this trailer alone! The part that has me most curious is ROGERS the Musical. :lol

-Marc.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #576 on: September 13, 2021, 07:48:12 AM »

Oh this looks GOOD. And Hailee Steinfeld is going to be fantastic! I'm enjoying their dynamic in just this trailer alone! The part that has me most curious is ROGERS the Musical. :lol

-Marc.

That was the first thing that caught my eye!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #577 on: September 13, 2021, 07:50:23 AM »
I really dig the tone. Has kind of an 80's/90's buddy cop vibe.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #578 on: September 13, 2021, 10:22:28 AM »
It's Die Hard 3 Marvel Style.  I like it!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #579 on: September 13, 2021, 10:57:14 AM »
Well, this looks fun

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #581 on: September 13, 2021, 11:39:47 PM »
Rogers: The Musical! :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #582 on: October 12, 2021, 08:50:31 AM »
Tickets are already on sale for Eternals. Hype initiated, going to try and catch it opening weekend.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #583 on: November 12, 2021, 10:53:56 AM »
On Disney+, they've posted a 14-minute video recapping the four shows they've released so far (with some clever segues), a new peek at Hawkeye, and teasers for Moon Knight, She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel (now coming out next Summer), and titles for future series (some we knew, some we didn't, some with updated title cards).

-Marc.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: November 12, 2021, 11:03:59 AM »
On Disney+, they've posted a 14-minute video recapping the four shows they've released so far (with some clever segues), a new peek at Hawkeye, and teasers for Moon Knight, She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel (now coming out next Summer), and titles for future series (some we knew, some we didn't, some with updated title cards).

-Marc.

just watched it with jingle.son.  Cool looking shit.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #585 on: November 12, 2021, 11:16:31 AM »

-Marc.
Nice!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: November 15, 2021, 01:53:41 AM »
I know i have no stake in it or anything and I don't have to watch - but I wish that Endgame was the end of that 'universe'...

I wish that 'phase 4' was just phase 1 of a completely new story with all new characters.

But they can still do MCU stand alone movies too.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #587 on: November 15, 2021, 06:52:24 AM »
I know i have no stake in it or anything and I don't have to watch - but I wish that Endgame was the end of that 'universe'...

I wish that 'phase 4' was just phase 1 of a completely new story with all new characters.

In a way, I agree with this. It is certainly how I felt right after Endgame even if there were still some loose ends.

But I am also excited to see what they are going to do with the new movies. So far, the last two movies have opened up the universe so much and then we have Spiderman, Dr. Strange and Ant Man to make things even more interesting(Confusing?).

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: November 15, 2021, 08:26:04 AM »

Hard disagree.  They built this great universe with all these awesome characters. . . .but they're just going to toss that all out?  Seems silly to me.  They are, of course, introducing lots of new characters.  Why limit those characters from interacting with the greater universe?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #589 on: November 15, 2021, 09:11:39 AM »

Hard disagree.  They built this great universe with all these awesome characters. . . .but they're just going to toss that all out?  Seems silly to me.  They are, of course, introducing lots of new characters.  Why limit those characters from interacting with the greater universe?
Same.  WAY too much work doing something that had never before been done in films to just toss it aside.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: November 15, 2021, 09:16:19 AM »
Movies as the medium or story telling can't be reasonably compared to comic books.  There are hundreds of different "universes" in comic books (maybe more).  I don't think the cinema platform would lend itself too favorably in trying to run multiple different streams of 'universes' in the same way.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: November 15, 2021, 09:21:05 AM »
So the Eternals are the new Avengers? But the surviving Avengers can drop in and say hi ?

Who's the next big bad ? How do you go bigger and badder than Thanos ?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #592 on: November 15, 2021, 09:37:09 AM »
So the Eternals are the new Avengers?

No.

But the surviving Avengers can drop in and say hi ?

???  I guess.  Not sure what this means or why it matters.

Who's the next big bad ?

Dunno yet.  Why does it matter?

How do you go bigger and badder than Thanos ?

Dunno yet.  Why does it matter?

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #593 on: November 15, 2021, 09:59:56 AM »
Honestly, I don't think there will be a "Big Bad" a la Thanos to work toward in Phase 4.  Because, at this point, they can't realistically top Infinity War/Endgame, and Feige knows that.

Hence, more concepts to adapt to, rather than hostile personalities.  The multiverse, extradimensional beings, etc.

Then, maybe in Phase 5, bring on Galactus.

Then have the next host of Celestials visit for judgement several years from now.  That would definitely require an Endgame-style assemblage of powers to repel.

I don't know.  Something like that.  Meanwhile, smaller-scale heroes introduced, such as Moon Knight and She-Hulk.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: November 15, 2021, 10:27:59 AM »
So I haven't come back here since I wrote how Avengers the the MCU aren't really my thing. But my gf asked me to see Eternals and while I had little desire, I did the mice bf thing and went with her. I must say, I'm really not a fan of the movie theater experience anymore but that's for another thread. I'll just say the movie itself wasn't too bad though. I didn't need to see all the rest of the movies to understand what was going on either. Having said that, I have little desire to see the follow ups here. It still kind of falls into the "meh" category for my tastes.