Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 69659 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #525 on: August 24, 2021, 11:08:57 AM »
Yeah, there was no Murdoch in this trailer.  Doesn't mean he won't show up, but he wasn't in this.  BUT there was another cameo that was missed:  the lizard (who I didn't see until it was pointed out [@2:26]). 

Also:  :lol @ Dr. Strange's coffee mug (@1:28).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #526 on: August 24, 2021, 11:19:08 AM »
Also was the "be careful what you wish for" line by Strange?

I wonder if there's a Christmas Carol element to this. Or maybe It's a Wonderful Life?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #527 on: August 24, 2021, 11:28:06 AM »
Also was the "be careful what you wish for" line by Strange?

I could be wrong, but it sounded like Goblin/Osborne to me.  (but there could also be intentional voice distortion to mislead us, too, so who knows?)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #528 on: August 24, 2021, 11:35:45 AM »
I wondered if it was Mysterio, either as part of footage he shot before his death or that the events of the film bring him back or a variant of him.  Could be Strange speaking, he just seems less likely to refer to Peter as "Parker" especially given their introduction to each other in the trailer.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #529 on: August 24, 2021, 01:47:00 PM »
Given the number of MCU and non-MCU villains hinted at either in this trailer or elsewhere, are we assuming they're doing some form of mutiversal Sinister Six?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #530 on: August 24, 2021, 01:48:18 PM »
I was talking about this with my partner yesterday after we saw the trailer. It is extremely out of character but I think it is him and he is in a whatever mood, coping with the Thanos aftermath. The NY Sanctum is covered in ice (for some reason), he is in sweat pants and a hoodie, and when Wong tells him not to cast the spell, his seemed annoyed Wong was telling him what to do.

We saw how some of the other avengers were coping with the events (including peter in Far From Home), maybe his way of coping with everything is by no caring anymore. Also, why does he still have the Eye of Agamotto if he doesn't have the time stone anymore? so many questions!
Very good points, especially the hoodie which I noticed too (and which looks pretty funny under his cloak). So yes it could well all be related.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #531 on: August 24, 2021, 01:49:31 PM »
Given the number of MCU and non-MCU villains hinted at either in this trailer or elsewhere, are we assuming they're doing some form of mutiversal Sinister Six?

Probably? We got Electro, Doc Oc, Goblin, Sandman, and Lizard at least hinted at in this trailer. I hope they do a good job with it though. Last time Sony tried a bunch of villains in one movie deal, it did not go well at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: August 25, 2021, 01:48:25 PM »
So we watched the first Avengers last night.  I think I'm checking out.  I don't get it.  Maybe because I never was into the comics, but I find the movie to be fairly boring and completely uninteresting from a plot and character development standpoint.  Oh well, I tried.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #533 on: August 25, 2021, 03:58:24 PM »
Fair enough. If Avengers doesn't tickle you then it's unlikely to. Mind you, if you were to have just one more nibble I'd try Guardians Of The Galaxy. The tone of the movies shifted at that point on, imo. It was slicker, funnier and better than everything before and everything after pretty much carried that quality on.

(I also have no attachment to the comics bar Spidey as a kid, btw. I love comics but I'm not a super hero guy.)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #534 on: August 25, 2021, 05:07:40 PM »
Yeah, if Avengers didn't do it for you it's deff not your thing.

Agree on Guardians of the Galaxy. Worth watching just for the comedy side of it.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: August 25, 2021, 05:31:57 PM »
I actually watched half of Guardians on a flight and fell asleep (more of my own doing, I don't recall it boring me or anything but I usually take sleeping pills on flights) but I never went back to it.  Was looking a bit more forward to that since I recalled it not being bad. 

I actually do think I may muscle through some more, but just won't be a priority or anything.  I really did want to enjoy it, the universe as a whole and all these stories and connections all seemed right up my ally.  I liked the first Captain America and the first Iron Man, just nothing else up to this point really seemed interesting. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #536 on: August 25, 2021, 06:19:34 PM »
Man, if Avengers didn't do it for you... You may find some pleasure in some of the movies, but I wouldn't suggest you commit to getting thru the next 18.  Seems like it just ain't your thang.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #537 on: August 25, 2021, 06:46:54 PM »
Marc. You seltzer drinking fool.    :lol

I still love you bro.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: August 26, 2021, 08:24:20 AM »
Marc. You seltzer drinking fool.    :lol

I still love you bro.

I've watched all movies completely sober.  Actually, maybe that is the problem  :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #539 on: August 26, 2021, 09:25:29 AM »
I actually watched half of Guardians on a flight and fell asleep (more of my own doing, I don't recall it boring me or anything but I usually take sleeping pills on flights) but I never went back to it.  Was looking a bit more forward to that since I recalled it not being bad. 

I actually do think I may muscle through some more, but just won't be a priority or anything.  I really did want to enjoy it, the universe as a whole and all these stories and connections all seemed right up my ally.  I liked the first Captain America and the first Iron Man, just nothing else up to this point really seemed interesting.

You have to make the call yourself, but the various sub-franchises DO have their own flavor.   I REALLY liked Guardians of the Galaxy (both) a lot, and the Thor movies have their charm.  They hit a stride about halfway through of really balancing the nerd with the fun.  I HATE HATE HATE that snarky "Hasta la vista, baby!" snarky action picture stuff, and the Marvel universe has, in my humble opinion, walked that line beautifully.  They ARE funny but they have a knack for being serious when they need to be serious. I don't recall Thor cracking wise when his limbs were being ripped from their sockets while he harnessed the power of the star to fuel the furnace.

Online Adami

« Reply #540 on: August 26, 2021, 09:35:39 AM »

You have to make the call yourself, but the various sub-franchises DO have their own flavor.   I REALLY liked Guardians of the Galaxy (both) a lot, and the Thor movies have their charm.  They hit a stride about halfway through of really balancing the nerd with the fun.  I HATE HATE HATE that snarky "Hasta la vista, baby!" snarky action picture stuff, and the Marvel universe has, in my humble opinion, walked that line beautifully.  They ARE funny but they have a knack for being serious when they need to be serious. I don't recall Thor cracking wise when his limbs were being ripped from their sockets while he harnessed the power of the star to fuel the furnace.

Eitri: You understand, boy? You're about to take the full force of a star. It'll kill you.

Thor: Only if I die. [He takes deep breaths.]

Eitri: [Boggled] Yes. That's what... "killing you" means.

:-*

But I mostly agree. Marvel, to me, goes a LITTLE too far on the comedy some times, but usually keeps a brilliant balance.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 10:08:21 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: August 26, 2021, 10:36:29 AM »
Other than some 90s jokes from Captain Marvel that I could totally relate to, I've found almost all the comedy in these movies to be borderline cringe. Kind of the same with the latest Star Wars.  It's probably a lot more enjoyable type of comedy for children.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: August 26, 2021, 10:53:24 AM »

Eitri: You understand, boy? You're about to take the full force of a star. It'll kill you.

Thor: Only if I die. [He takes deep breaths.]

Eitri: [Boggled] Yes. That's what... "killing you" means.

:-*

But I mostly agree. Marvel, to me, goes a LITTLE too far on the comedy some times, but usually keeps a brilliant balance.

That was before he flew off and did his magic, no?    The better example is Thor, I think Ragnarok.  There were scenes of "comedy", that were funny (mainly, Norse-God-out-of-water jokes) but the battle scenes were these epic fights set to The Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin.  Friggin' OPTIMAL. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #543 on: August 26, 2021, 10:54:18 AM »
Other than some 90s jokes from Captain Marvel that I could totally relate to, I've found almost all the comedy in these movies to be borderline cringe. Kind of the same with the latest Star Wars.  It's probably a lot more enjoyable type of comedy for children.
So, we're all children? 

IS THAT WHAT YOU THINK?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #544 on: August 26, 2021, 08:41:50 PM »

Online Dream Team

« Reply #545 on: August 29, 2021, 03:27:25 PM »
So we watched the first Avengers last night.  I think I'm checking out.  I don't get it.  Maybe because I never was into the comics, but I find the movie to be fairly boring and completely uninteresting from a plot and character development standpoint.  Oh well, I tried.

I can’t comprehend this.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #546 on: August 29, 2021, 04:23:28 PM »

I can’t comprehend this.

I was going to say something similar.

To be honest, I skipped the early Marvel films just because I was always only lukewarm on comic book movies in general. But I loved Joss Whedon’s work in Firefly and knew that he had a way of giving all characters an equal emotional impact in an ensemble situation, and he didn’t disappoint.

In fact, The Avengers was such a well told story, and such a well made action film, that it single handedly changed the way I view a comic book films. It wasn’t until I saw Avengers that I went back to give the other MCU films a chance. It’s such a complete game changer that it’s hard to imagine it not being accepted as just a fantastic action film in its own right.  It’s basically the action and SFX equivalent of Jurassic Park, but with much better story telling, dialogue, and acting.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: August 30, 2021, 01:09:28 PM »
I knew NOTHING about Marvel back in 2012. I loved Firefly and only went to see Avengers (2012) as Joss was directing. I thought it was great.

Anyway my local cinema is opening back up soon and i'm in the mood for a big blockbuster. Might go see whatever MARVEL is on. I think it's 10 rings ?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #548 on: August 30, 2021, 03:38:56 PM »
I knew NOTHING about Marvel back in 2012. I loved Firefly and only went to see Avengers (2012) as Joss was directing. I thought it was great.

Anyway my local cinema is opening back up soon and i'm in the mood for a big blockbuster. Might go see whatever MARVEL is on. I think it's 10 rings ?

Yes. Although I think I might wait a week. I’m still a bit squirrly about going to a crowded theater. Many theaters have removed the spacing restrictions, which I think is a TERRIBLE idea….so I want to wait until the initial rush dies down.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: August 30, 2021, 09:20:33 PM »

Yes. Although I think I might wait a week. I’m still a bit squirrly about going to a crowded theater. Many theaters have removed the spacing restrictions, which I think is a TERRIBLE idea….so I want to wait until the initial rush dies down.

Theatres here still block off a 'bubble' of seats around what you purchase, almost like a Tic/Tac/Toe board.  We've got the centre square, and the rest of the board is blockd off.  Here's how it works - OO is my / jingle.son seats; X's are blocked off; _ is a potential occupied seat

_XXXX_
XXOOXX
_XXXX_

So, for my two tickets, 14 seats are used - 2 for me; 12 blocked off for distancing.

Seeing a movie now will never be more comfortable and safe.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #550 on: August 30, 2021, 11:15:32 PM »
I’m not sure if the governor‘s new mandate will change it, but when we went to go see black widow they were just leaving one space between seats and that’s it. Then we heard a couple weeks later that they had lifted even that restriction.

But we are in Washington and the governor just put some very strict mandates into affect. So I will have to check and see if that changed anything with movie theaters.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: August 31, 2021, 04:34:34 AM »
Cinemas here are still doing spacing...

Funny thing though - back when TENET first came out I went to see it in the nice big cinema an hours drive away to enjoy it as much as possible.

I got the biggest screen to myself  :biggrin: :biggrin:

That's the best way to see a new Chris Nolan film.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #552 on: August 31, 2021, 04:51:54 AM »
So Shang-Chi is sitting on an impressive 92% on RT.  That means all 25 MCU movies have a positive rating (60% or above), that's a pretty crazy really.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #553 on: August 31, 2021, 06:54:28 AM »
I’m not sure if the governor‘s new mandate will change it, but when we went to go see black widow they were just leaving one space between seats and that’s it. Then we heard a couple weeks later that they had lifted even that restriction.

But we are in Washington and the governor just put some very strict mandates into affect. So I will have to check and see if that changed anything with movie theaters.

I saw Black Widow on the Sunday after release, at 11am, on a new/yet to be known theater and it was mostly empty (at most 20 people in the entire theater). I am expecting to do the same for Shang Chi. So far it shows that only 4 seats have been sold for Sunday at 11:30. I'll wait until that Saturday and make a decision then but you can always try that. Usually early Sunday shows are pretty empty.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: August 31, 2021, 07:33:29 AM »
So Shang-Chi is sitting on an impressive 92% on RT.  That means all 25 MCU movies have a positive rating (60% or above), that's a pretty crazy really.

Even Iron Man 2 is watchable. When Lockdown 1 happened I watched all of the MCU movies on Disney+ . One a night.

IM2 wasn't as bad as I remember. At least when you compare it to rubbish like Man Of Steel or Batman V Superman or Justice League.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: August 31, 2021, 10:15:04 AM »

Even Iron Man 2 is watchable. When Lockdown 1 happened I watched all of the MCU movies on Disney+ . One a night.

IM2 wasn't as bad as I remember. At least when you compare it to rubbish like Man Of Steel or Batman V Superman or Justice League.

Batman v. Superman > Iron Man 2

I liked both, don't get me wrong, but I preferred BvS.  That fight scene (Batman right before he saved Mrs. Kent) is still my favorite fight scene in any superhero movie ever (though the Thor fights scenes set to Led Zeppelin are close).

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #556 on: August 31, 2021, 11:32:53 AM »
I mean, I guess someone had to feel that way.

Growing up, I definitely liked the characters of Batman and Superman better than Iron Man.  But I thought Batman v Superman was complete trash.  I cannot fathom liking any Marvel film less than that.

Have you had a chance to see the Snyder cut of Justice League?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #557 on: September 01, 2021, 02:31:37 AM »

Oh God no.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: September 01, 2021, 05:03:59 AM »
Bit of a non sequiter but I think the best DCEU film was the first Wonder Woman.

But apparently WW84 is rubbish ? I was looking forward to it but then it had terrible reviews. Oh well.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: September 01, 2021, 06:03:56 AM »

I liked both, don't get me wrong, but I preferred BvS.  That fight scene (Batman right before he saved Mrs. Kent) is still my favorite fight scene in any superhero movie ever (though the Thor fights scenes set to Led Zeppelin are close).

Funny... jingle.son and I were just talking about the Batman movies yesterday, and I commented how this is indeed a great fight scene.  But it's so out of character for Batman.  It's like Snyder knew NOTHING about the characters in making that movie, all the while the studio simply trying to replicate the Marvel formula for success.