Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)  (Read 69663 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe thread v3 (no recent spoilers)
« Reply #455 on: August 06, 2021, 08:00:45 AM »
IMO, dealing with immense and immeasurable loss isn't exclusive to "human"-ity.  Asgardians aren't emotionless nor impervious to pain - they're not Vulcan!  :lol  If they can feel happy, pleasure, anger, love etc... they can also feel grief.  I think his arc was done better the way it was, rather than to have him simply continue existing as the God of Thunder / King of Asgard.  His entire purpose was shattered by Thanos - A God should've stopped Thanos; A King should've protected his people.  I personally felt it more believable this way, than if he'd gone on as the Thor from his first 2 movies.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #456 on: August 06, 2021, 08:04:26 AM »
I'll never forget the end of IW... The dude next to me turning to his friends in bewilderment asking "did they lose?"

Seeing Endgame opening night in a packed theater will be a movie experience that will never be topped though. For that alone I'd put it on top of IW.

See, I fought back emotions when Peter Parker turned to dust; that look on his face - "Tony! What the flip is HAPPENING to me! This isn't supposed to happen!" with a twist of "My aunt is going to KILL ME!" - was priceless.  I did not cry or even feel close to it watching Tony reach his conclusion.

Yeah, but seeing the on your left scene at home on a couch as opposed to in a theater with a few hundred uber geeks screaming their heads off are two VASTLY different experiences.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: August 06, 2021, 08:11:05 AM »
I'll never forget the end of IW... The dude next to me turning to his friends in bewilderment asking "did they lose?"

Seeing Endgame opening night in a packed theater will be a movie experience that will never be topped though. For that alone I'd put it on top of IW.

See, I fought back emotions when Peter Parker turned to dust; that look on his face - "Tony! What the flip is HAPPENING to me! This isn't supposed to happen!" with a twist of "My aunt is going to KILL ME!" - was priceless.  I did not cry or even feel close to it watching Tony reach his conclusion.

Yeah, but seeing the on your left scene at home on a couch as opposed to in a theater with a few hundred uber geeks screaming their heads off are two VASTLY different experiences.

IMO, Endgame's goosebump inducing moments were bigger than the ones in IW, just a little.  Both experiences in a fully jam-packed IMAX theater will never be topped.

Overall, I give the nod to IW though, just for how *all* the characters were incorporated and played meaningful roles, and how the separate storylines all converged at the end.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #458 on: August 06, 2021, 08:20:01 AM »
Yeah, from a clinical view, IW was a more complete and together product, but Endgame brought that shit home in the most epic fashion. Really hard to discern for me tbh.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #459 on: August 06, 2021, 09:54:52 AM »
Not directly related to the MCU, but this trailer for Free Guy gave me a good laugh.

https://youtu.be/g7q60i_Lh_E
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: August 06, 2021, 10:23:25 AM »
Saw that one a couple weeks back.  Just brilliant.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #461 on: August 06, 2021, 10:50:40 AM »
IMO, dealing with immense and immeasurable loss isn't exclusive to "human"-ity.  Asgardians aren't emotionless nor impervious to pain - they're not Vulcan!  :lol  If they can feel happy, pleasure, anger, love etc... they can also feel grief.  I think his arc was done better the way it was, rather than to have him simply continue existing as the God of Thunder / King of Asgard.  His entire purpose was shattered by Thanos - A God should've stopped Thanos; A King should've protected his people.  I personally felt it more believable this way, than if he'd gone on as the Thor from his first 2 movies.
Completely agree, I loved Thor's arc.

I also liked the fact that once he'd got his head into a better place, he didn't suddenly become his old self physically. I thought the whole arc was handled really well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #462 on: August 06, 2021, 12:41:09 PM »
Same.  It bugs me when I see people say it was just played for laughs/comedic relief, when it was SO much more than that, and was so emotionally impactful on so many levels.  Seems like those people just missed the point.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #463 on: August 06, 2021, 02:46:16 PM »
Same.  It bugs me when I see people say it was just played for laughs/comedic relief, when it was SO much more than that, and was so emotionally impactful on so many levels.  Seems like those people just missed the point.

Yes, and totally missing a GREAT subtle performance by Hemsworth.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #464 on: August 08, 2021, 01:10:41 PM »
Well, I don't think it was JUST played for laughs; I got the point, I just am not sure that was the best way to get it across. 

To echo TAC's post in one of the Dream Theater album threads, I might be suffering from undue outside influence.  I'm really sort of bummed about the Olympics this year.  I LOVE the Olympics, and have historically watched them - summer and winter - in their entirety. Even the lesser-known and/or made-up sports.   The gymnasts with the ribbons; the synchronized swimming.  But EVERYTHING is about "message" these days. EVERYONE has their protest and their truth and their this and their that, and I'm getting numb to it. I finally stopped watching the Olympics outright because every broadcast moment was seemingly spent trying to find the "angle", the "humanity".   But these are supposed to be the best of the best on the biggest stage, once every four years.  There's no do-overs.  No second chances.  Jim McKay telling us about the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat, with the ski-jumper falling off the ramp and ripping down the ABC OLYMPICS sign.   Back to THOR, THE GOD OF FRIGGIN' THUNDER, I mean, if my politicians can't be heroes, if my athletes can't be heroes, and now I can't even rely on my SUPERHEROES to be heroes, then WTF?    I get it; that's a one-dimensional way to look at things, but it's how I looked at that part of that movie while watching it.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll watch it again and think differently.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 06:35:55 AM by Stadler »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #465 on: August 08, 2021, 03:31:41 PM »
I think I saved myself from the majority of that bullshit in the olympics by watching them on YT. Five minute clips showing the highlights of each event, and a snippet of the ceremony for the emotional finish.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #466 on: August 08, 2021, 05:58:00 PM »
That’s good insight Stads on how our state of mind affects our movie-watching experience.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: August 09, 2021, 10:00:17 AM »
We skipped The Hulk because I am told it's a different actor and not too relevant to the rest of the marvel universe so we watched Thor last night.  I was also kind of meh about this one.  Honestly, starting to look like I was right in my thought that Marvel is not for me.  These movies are losing steam quickly for me.  The first Avengers is next, which might be make or break for me to continue.

Having said that, should I go back and watch The Hulk?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #468 on: August 09, 2021, 10:11:48 AM »
I would recommend to stick to it. The first couple of movies are hard to get through. Things didn't start to pick up until Avengers(your next movie to watch), but really and truly it was after Captain American Winter Soldier that every movie felt like it was in the great/awesome category.

The Hulk is more of a "If you want to, go watch it". It seems that the main villain will come back in one of the future movies, so it might be relevant, but it could also just be a cameo, so for now it is safe to skip that one.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: August 09, 2021, 10:25:19 AM »
I don't plan on making my mind up after the Avengers, but kind of dissapointed in only like 2 of the 5 movies so far (the first Iron Man and Captain America).

I'm about to leave for LA for 10 days for work and won't be with my girl to continue watching, but may consider watching the Hulk as I'll probably need something to watch in the hotel at night. I just don't want to sour myself even further if it's not relevant/good.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: August 09, 2021, 10:28:24 AM »
I would recommend to stick to it. The first couple of movies are hard to get through. Things didn't start to pick up until Avengers(your next movie to watch), but really and truly it was after Captain American Winter Soldier that every movie felt like it was in the great/awesome category.

The Hulk is more of a "If you want to, go watch it". It seems that the main villain will come back in one of the future movies, so it might be relevant, but it could also just be a cameo, so for now it is safe to skip that one.

This is spot on.  The first 4 were setup movies.  Teenage foreplay.  You ought to get the chance to blow your load with Avengers.  And Vader is right... Winter Soldier is the first truly great standalone film - so don't base any go/no-go decision on IM3.

Patience Kimosabe.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: August 09, 2021, 10:35:13 AM »
Damn.... wrong thread.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #472 on: August 09, 2021, 11:08:26 AM »
The hell are you all talking about? Iron Man is an amazing stand alone film.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: August 09, 2021, 01:33:49 PM »
The hell are you all talking about? Iron Man is an amazing stand alone film.

I guess I define "great" as Top 5 in the 23 movies up to Endgame.  IM1 I put in the Top 10; but Winter Soldier is securely in the Top 5.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: August 18, 2021, 01:01:21 PM »
Shang-Chi tickets purchased.

Online Adami

« Reply #475 on: August 18, 2021, 01:05:00 PM »

Yup. Sadly since my girlfriend is a Rabbi, it usually knocks out Friday/Saturday for her, so we're going on Sunday. Will just try to avoid spoilers for a few days (totally won't be hard  :mehlin)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: August 18, 2021, 01:24:38 PM »

Yup. Sadly since my girlfriend is a Rabbi, it usually knocks out Friday/Saturday for her, so we're going on Sunday. Will just try to avoid spoilers for a few days (totally won't be hard  :mehlin)

I'm going Thursday at 7pm.   :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #477 on: August 18, 2021, 01:37:26 PM »
I forgot it was opening this weekend.  Maybe Saturday or Sunday then!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #478 on: August 18, 2021, 01:39:15 PM »

Still 2 weeks away  :natalieportman: I might be away Labor Day weekend, but I might try to see if I can catch it anyways. Worst case it will be available in Disney+ on October 18 I believe?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #479 on: August 18, 2021, 01:41:37 PM »

Still 2 weeks away, no?  ???

According to Wikipedia:
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings had its world premiere at the El Capitan Theatre and TCL Chinese Theater in Los Angeles on August 16, 2021, and will be screened at CinemaCon on August 25. The film is scheduled to be released in the United States on September 3, 2021. It will have a 45-day exclusive theatrical release, rather than being released simultaneously in theaters and on Disney+ with Premier Access like Black Widow. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings will be part of Phase Four of the MCU.

You've got two weeks, unless you're talking to us from the future.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #480 on: August 18, 2021, 02:02:53 PM »

Does that mean Marvel isn't kosher?  :)

Online Adami

« Reply #481 on: August 18, 2021, 05:37:26 PM »

Does that mean Marvel isn't kosher?  :)

It's definitely not Halacha.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #482 on: August 19, 2021, 06:19:29 AM »
Final trailer for Eternals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlVhlKuUfiA

:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #483 on: August 19, 2021, 06:44:49 AM »
Holy fuck.  :omg:

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #485 on: August 19, 2021, 07:23:21 AM »
That looks awesome.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: August 19, 2021, 09:29:38 AM »
I think I went from 6 to 12.  This looks fuckin bitchin.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #487 on: August 20, 2021, 04:11:06 PM »
I went from an 8 to a 6. It's just a trailer but didn't give me much feels.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #488 on: August 20, 2021, 04:33:01 PM »

Not me.  It moved.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online The Letter M

« Reply #489 on: August 20, 2021, 07:07:30 PM »

Based on your response, I don't think you quite know what "going from 6 to 12" means.  :lol

Final trailer for Eternals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlVhlKuUfiA

:metal

I definitely loved this trailer, lots to dig into, and it seems like this will be a "Grand Scope" sort of film that covers a LOT of the cosmic history of the MCU. It'll be interesting to see how close to the comics they'll be with regards to origin stories and character relationships.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!